• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NieR: Automata |OT| "I wouldn't expect too much from this game if I were you."

Anyone know what this is and what to do here? There looks to be a quest marker on the other side but I can't get there?

17353283_1222625991146809_3806606897621931308_n.jpg

It's a block that can only be moved from the other side. There are a few of them throughout the game. They're shortcuts.

OniBaka

Anyone know what this is and what to do here? There looks to be a quest marker on the other side but I can't get there? For reference if the picture doesn't make it clear its
down the secret elevator on the cliffside near the city right before the forest area.

17353283_1222625991146809_3806606897621931308_n.jpg
You have to get there from the forest area side.

Just finished up an hour of Route C and now i'm in bed and I just want to get back to playing.

Yoko Taro, you beautiful man.

That fucking final credits section, so good.

Got the platinum,
had my save wiped,
ready to lend the game to a friend to play... and I already want to go through it again lol.

If someone told me 10 or so years ago that the guy who directed Drakengard would be in charge of a game this fun to play I probably would have laughed and slapped the shit out of them.

I do feel like I may have gotten myself a bit too hyped up for this just because I loved the first Nier's world/story/characters so much, because I didn't seem to lose my shit as much as some people in this thread seemed to have. Going through the spoiler thread I missed a few things by not being thorough enough talking to NPCs and such after major events, so I'll have to make sure to do all of that whenever I decided to jump back into it. That probably won't be for a while though, since P5 is coming out soon, plus I have Zelda to start at some point (even though I don't even have a switch yet lol).

Since this game is definitely a pretty big success compared to Taro's other games, I really hope he gets another chance to work with Platinum again (or at least another decent team and budget) soon.

I also managed to do with this game what I wanted to do with the first game,
and get all of the trophies/plat, and then have my save wiped. I didn't really get around to doing that with the previous game because of the flower and weapon trophies...

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
How open world is this game, is there lots of exploration? Thinking if I could start this while also playing HZD at the same time.

Its a pretty small open wrld compared to other games, but not too small. Each area is sectioned off into zones so you can't really get lost if you go through a few times

Milijango

I'm really glad this battle music from that trailer way back in 2015 ended up showing up at a kickass time, even if the particular moment wasn't story critical.

It's just a very different style to the rest of the soundtrack and I think this was before they had secured Emi Evans so I'm glad they kept it in.

I'm really glad this battle music from that trailer way back in 2015 ended up showing up at a kickass time, even if the particular moment wasn't story critical.

It's just a very different style to the rest of the soundtrack and I think this was before they had secured Emi Evans so I'm glad they kept it in.

Love the visual direction that boss took and of course the music made the battle even better. Shame it was a boss that I managed to destroy pretty quickly and without taking damage which wasn't common for me in the game.

True Fire

Love the visual direction that boss took and of course the music made the battle even better. Shame it was a boss that I managed to destroy pretty quickly and without taking damage which wasn't common for me in the game.

I played that battle with my HUD turned off. Atmospheric as hell

WITHE1982

I'm still relatively early on in my very first run and I just
ate a mackerel
. What in the Sam hell shit was that?

Just a quick one. Should I be looking to do as much as possible in my A route run (sidequests, levelling, upgrading etc...) or just power through it and save the bulk of the stuff for when I have
chapter/character select
?

I normally play games by finishing up everything last little thing before tackling the main missions but I don't want to feel like I wasted hours and hours when the same things would take mere minutes down the line.

For reference I've just hit the
forest section and fought A2 in the castle
. 18 hours in and I'm level 30.

Oh and so far the side quests are pretty good but the payoff at the end is amazing. The
lost child and photographs
ones in particular really threw me when you hear the final dialogue. My jaw just hit the floor.

Pundere

Please tell me there's a merchant somewhere that sells Pure Water. I still need like 8 more for a Pod upgrade and I really don't want to just farm gathering points and hope for the best

Philippo

Copied City
, wow i was not expecting this!

Gah, i can't settle between Normal and Hard, the first is still easy and button mash-y, while the latter is too hard and i've already lost too many chips in two days.

Also, any tips on farming chips? I really want to stop settling for what i've got atm.

I'm still relatively early on in my very first run and I just
ate a mackerel
. What in the Sam hell shit was that?

Just a quick one. Should I be looking to do as much as possible in my A route run (sidequests, levelling, upgrading etc...) or just power through it and save the bulk of the stuff for when I have
chapter/character select
?

I normally play games by finishing up everything last little thing before tackling the main missions but I don't want to feel like I wasted hours and hours when the same things would take mere minutes down the line.

For reference I've just hit the
forest section and fought A2 in the castle
. 18 hours in and I'm level 30.

Oh and so far the side quests are pretty good but the payoff at the end is amazing. The
lost child and photographs
ones in particular really threw me when you hear the final dialogue. My jaw just hit the floor.

I'm slightly further than you, and i'm doing as many quests as i can but i'm starting to slow down, will keep some for later, especially because some have lv.50 enemies that keep kicking my ass. This way i'll have something extra to do in the other routes.

And yeah, the emotional delivery in sidequests is super good, the one where the
child machines runs away from the mother in Pascal's village
, the ending where the track with children singing almost made me cry.

WITHE1982

And yeah, the emotional delivery in sidequests is super good, the one where the
child machines runs away from the mother in Pascal's village
, the ending where the track with children singing almost made me cry.

Yeah completed this one as well and was also really choked up at the end. Some of the dialogue really hits home in this game.

Cannot wait to get back on it tonight.

Philippo

Yeah completed this one as well and was also really choked up at the end. Some of the dialogue really hits home in this game.

I don't man, something about a story so simple yet told in such a complex world made it really touching, and 2B saying
how it probably wouldn't be so bad having family bonds
was so tender.
This game thouches some real chords damn.

KMRiku

Neo Member
Looks like that brazilian copies are getting a recall:

https://jovemnerd.com.br/nerdnews/sony-dadc-anuncia-recall-de-nier-automata-no-brasil/

Received my copy today, I don't know how to identify if its the problematic copy or not, since I can only test tomorrow.

For non portuguese speakers, it says that Sony DADC are recalling the copies that has update problems. For that, just contact them.

Wow. I bought the chinese version since there were no pre-orders at that time and I was in a hurry to play it, but I had no idea until now that there were problems with the brazilian version.

At least they are doing a recall, I would have not expected that from Sony BR.

Althane

God damn it game, and yet I'm not even mad. =|

For those who have gotten Ending K.

Lost this morning's progress because I ate the mackerel. Should have saved first, but oh well. At least it was only a few minutes worth of progress.

Randomizer

Now that I've finished up BOTW I have finally ordered a copy and am expecting it to arrive tomorrow. Really looking forward to it, Nier was one of my favourite games of last gen. It blew me away with it's great writing and amazing soundtrack. More of the that with better gameplay and graphics means I should be in for a good time.

jacobeid

Banned
Once PC impressions start rolling in I don't know how strong I'll be before caving in and buying it, despite my tremendous backlog.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Welp, guess "Treasured Times" is Automata's equivalent to "This Dream", don't think I can listen to it without tearing up.

Okabe you magnificent bastard!

Is there a spoiler free ending guide anywhere on a safe website?

Is getting the endings linked to side-quest completion?

Endings are free from sidequests and require no additional input other than starting the game after getting an ending. Pretty sure if you search spoiler free ending guide on Nier automata you should be safe enough. You should be able to get pretty far by yourself and if stuck come to this thread for any additional directions.

Baalzebup

Well, hello there, YoRHa
E-type. What a stable, warm and fantastic life you lead.
. Between this, the Vengeful Child and a few other things, it sure makes one go "ah yes, we NieR/Drakengard now."

Pygrus

This game is brutal on Hard. On the abandoned factory boss and every move one shots me. It's crazy that I'm still having fun dying over and over to it.

Freeman76

I did that and the offspring died on the way back. I was gonna restart but i thought nah its a piece of metal it cant feel shit...now a bit later in story I am starting to regret that lol

Arkeband

Banned
I've been (very slowly) making my way through the game and enjoying it so far. I'm still only on the initial route, but I think I'm at least starting to get into the meat of it. I've been trying to do a good amount of sidequests, and I think I'm about 6-6.5 hours in and I've just found out that
the machines killed off the aliens long ago, although I am a little confused, since I assumed the humanoid machines that came from the mass of machines in the desert were Adam and Eve, but when I met them in the alien mothership they were talking as though they'd been around for some time.
I'm really intrigued to see where the story goes from here, especially once I start diving into the other routes. The dialogue from the various machines you fight is giving me serious OG Nier vibes, so I'm interested to see if that goes anywhere beyond what I've seen so far.

As far as gameplay goes I've been enjoying it, although I am wondering, when you die, is the only thing lost any non-HUD chips you had equipped? I lost my body by wandering back to the area of the desert boss fight later on, and I tried to retrieve it but got destroyed again by the enemies there.

I haven't fully beaten the game yet, but as far as your story question,
when they say "we" they mean the royal "we", as in, machine-kind. I was confused by this too at first.

Ferr986

Finally got around to buying this! I still dunno when I'm gonna be able to start the game but atleast I did my part.

Really curious what's waiting for me with this game (considering I loved Nier 1 story and theme).

I'm about to be done with Route a but please answer the following question:

is the Commander basically Zero from Drakengard 3 in some way? They look so similar.

Having some trouble with a sidequest on Route C. Can anyone help?

For Gathering Keepsakes, I can't seem to find the dog tag at the factory? There's a very small red circle for where it should be, but I can't find it anywhere in that area. I have a feeling I'm supposed to go lower in the same spot somehow but I honestly just can't find out how.

Loving the game so far though!

EDIT: Neeeeeevermind, I'm blind.

Roussow

So doing another playthrough, and not just another route -- full on restart after getting the Platinum (not a real achievement by the end though, is it?).

Only just now after 30-odd hours of play I discovered the counter mechanics, it's fucking cool, but I've never loved the style of counter that is just pushing the stick towards the enemy, it feels odd. Much prefer the Rising style, although Counter chips can proc off perfect dodges, yeah? So it's kind of just preference.

Top Bottom