• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NieR: Automata |OT| "I wouldn't expect too much from this game if I were you."

Just got Ending E.

Taro Yoko is the Hayao Miyazaki of video games.

If he stopped making video games now, I would not blame him for it.

How.. do you top this?

MBS

Banned
What's the definite language selection for y'all? I feel Japanese is the right way to experience all the right emotions and connectness of the game.

Ennosuke

So I am now level 13, I have been in the first 3 areas of the game and now I have a lot of sidequests. And to be honest the game is cool, but the backtracking is kind of annoying and no fun. Will I be fine doing mostly the main quest? Oh and the status of my sidequests, will it be the same after NG+?

What's the definite language selection for y'all? I feel Japanese is the right way to experience all the right emotions and connectness of the game.

From what I hear you can't go wrong either way. I played it in English and thought the voice acting was ace.

True Fire

So I am now level 13, I have been in the first 3 areas of the game and now I have a lot of sidequests. And to be honest the game is cool, but the backtracking is kind of annoying and no fun. Will I be fine doing mostly the main quest? Oh and the status of my sidequests, will it be the same after NG+?

I'd recommend doing the main story only. You can do sidequests in the other routes, but the context will be a bit different. But there's
chapter select
anyway

OniBaka

I recommend do some side quests when you unlock fast travel as they really build up the lore with excellent writing.

LotusHD

Banned
Think I'm done with the game now. Played through it 3 times.
Got the 9S and A2 endings.

Enjoyed it quite a bit, actually really liked the 3rd play through out of all of them. I liked the mixing it up and the combat was fun. It's different to most things I've played and I never played the original. Glad I bought it but mostly glad they did a demo as I don't think I'd have touched it otherwise. Had it's issues and graphically it can be ugly at times but sometimes beautiful at other times. Bit of a mixed bag there. Think I'd rate it a 7/10 overall. Possibly 8 at a push.

"I didn't realize... just how beautiful this world is."

Just got Ending E.

Taro Yoko is the Hayao Miyazaki of video games.

If he stopped making video games now, I would not blame him for it.

How.. do you top this?

I dunno, he needs to though.

Vigamox

Had it's issues and graphically it can be ugly at times but sometimes beautiful at other times. Bit of a mixed bag there. Think I'd rate it a 7/10 overall. Possibly 8 at a push.
Yeah I definitely agree. As a game there were a lot of parts that felt unpolished or too repetitive, or even unfinished (I feel like they didn't get to do everything they wanted to with A2), but as an overall experience it left a lasting impression on me that most other games don't.

Hopefully Nier Automata continues to sell well and convinces Square to give Taro a bigger budget for his next game, because I feel like with some more time and manpower he could truly deliver an incredible experience even above Automata.

Naite

I prefer English because of the english versions some of the songs and 9S' perfromance in the later half of the game is my favorite.

Really can't go wrong with either option. Honestly one of the best English dubs I've heard in any medium. Though if forced to choose, I'd stick with English, since it's easier to keep track of dialogue in more hectic scenes when you don't have to be constantly reading the subtitles.

Slater

Banned
A big part of the original Nier experience was the excellent dub, Automata continues the tradition. And by the end 9S in English is the best acted character in either language or game

I usually go with Japanese every time I can but I stuck to English because of the original NieR and didn't look back. It's a fantastic dub, one of the best tbh. Last time I've done it was for Xenoblade Chronicles and this is several levels above that.

psychotron

I'm on route B and the conversations between
9s
and
his operator
are hilarious.
She scolds him every time, lol.

I have so many healing chips installed I almost feel like I can't die. It's kind of amazing.

I'm also on Route B and it is
a cool surprise to see things from the different perspective. Hacking feels kind of meh though. I far enjoyed the combat of 2B more.

pezzie

I have so many healing chips installed I almost feel like I can't die. It's kind of amazing.

I'm also on Route B and it is
a cool surprise to see things from the different perspective. Hacking feels kind of meh though. I far enjoyed the combat of 2B more.

Equip a spear, hold down attack button. Throw spears 4eva, never hack again unless it's a huge enemy or a boss.

chefbags

Yoo I'm at route C a few hours in...

when shit hits the fan and the bunker blows up, and the motherfucking credits started showing up. Did the game just start?!! Like HOLY SHIT YOKO TARO.

FUUUCK MAN. I love this game.

cm osi

Yoo I'm at route C a few hours in...

when shit hits the fan and the bunker blows up, and the motherfucking credits started showing up. Did the game just start?!! Like HOLY SHIT YOKO TARO.

FUUUCK MAN. I love this game.

"The real Automata starts here"

that was well done, i totally didn't expected

Demoskinos

So. Large Gears. Where can I get them? I have a sub-quest right now where
9S wants to repair the Goliath in the center of the city near the crater and needs 4 Pristine Screws (which I have) plus a Large Gear. There isn't any place marked on the map to get a large gear so.... I have no idea where to get one.

FrankWza

Damn, to me route C makes the game and
a2
is the star of this show. That comment about
9s knowing what 2b was
. Shes just
playing with him and it shows to me that as a first model she was made almost too human
. Guess thats why they changed things up?

ramyeon

So. Large Gears. Where can I get them? I have a sub-quest right now where
9S wants to repair the Goliath in the center of the city near the crater and needs 4 Pristine Screws (which I have) plus a Large Gear. There isn't any place marked on the map to get a large gear so.... I have no idea where to get one.
They drop from the small, basic enemies. But they're rare, high level drops so there's no point farming for them at that point in the game on Route A. There is one enemy that spawns next to one of the large enemies that you get the guaranteed Pristine Screw drops from and that enemy will drop one (It's near the bridge to the Forest Zone). I had to die in order to get them to respawn because I was having the same issue as you.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony

English is best IMO. And i'm not to usually pick english dubs if there is a choice. Its on that level

I also need to praise the English dub.
I play 99,99% with Japanese Voices, if the game is from Japan. English dubs are almost never satisfying enough to me.
Even if they do a decent job, many voices often just do not fit the character.

But this here is on another level. I choosed english right from the beginning, because that is how I played Nier back then. I hoped it will be as good.

And yeah, they delivered an outstanding job.
Not only is the voice acting superb, but they also choosed fitting voices.

After finishing the whole game, I checked out the Japanese voices and almost forgot / didn't realized it, because it almost felt the same!

Very impressive.

pezzie

Giant Bomb did a quick look on this game. They were pretty impressed with what they saw.

They showed off the full Opera boss. Alex did nothing but shoot the pod, I wanted to yell "GET UP IN HER FACE" the entire time. They praised the music, and seemed to enjoy everything. Dan and Vinny are interested in playing the game now.

Moaradin

There's also a lot of background and ambient dialogue that isn't subtitled at all. I feel like English is definitely the way to go for this game unless you understand Japanese.

Top Bottom