• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NieR: Automata |OT| "I wouldn't expect too much from this game if I were you."

Demoskinos

Cool. Finished a sub-quest and then right after the game hard crashed on me. Lost every bit of progress I made tonight. Just fantastic.

TWILT

Banned
Finished Ending B.
Was a pretty nice and interesting change in perspective. 9S was a bit of a downgrade combat-wise, but his hacking skills was pretty neat and made up for it to me. The stuff you find out as 9S was really interesting too. And that preview for Route C sounds hype... :eek:

What I felt was the ideal approach to side-quest:

1. trigger any side-quest that you come across along the way/close to the path to main storyline
2. if side-quest can be completed without travelling too far off-course, just do it.
3. if side-quest needs you to take major detours (photography, satre's melancholy), ignore it.
4. unlock fast travel later in game
5. go back to do side-quest that needs major detours

Geist-

Just traded Horizon for this game (thank you Amazon trade-in), it's coming on Saturday. Any non-spoilery tips for a new player?

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
The sidequests are there to flesh out the world, if you didn't do them your missing out

Yeah, there's a huge amount of information as well as gameplay in the sidequests, they add a lot, particularly in terms of tying the game in with the original Nier and setting up major story beats.

The main thing is that with fast travel and the general slickness of character movement, there are very few quests that I'd consider to be overly time-consuming to do.

Exentryk

@PlayStationAU
Happy St.Patrick's Day, everyone. It's Friday, so it's top 10 time. Here's the top selling PS4 games in AU w/e March 12th.

C7FrAxxVoAAhup0.jpg

Jiraiza

Huh, I guess it's not always optimal to try to go for +8 chips since you can get the combined effect of a +8 chip with a combination of lower level chips that'll have an overall lower storage cost. Neat.

Exentryk

Huh, I guess it's not always optimal to try to go for +8 chips since you can get the combined effect of a +8 chip with a combination of lower level chips that'll have an overall lower storage cost. Neat.

Yes, for some chips it is indeed better to go multiple lower quality chips.

Aw. How come? Most of them are pretty basic in terms of what you actually have to do, but the stories they tell range from heartwarming to hilarious to unsettling to tragic and beyond.

Please tell me one of those two quests was the stamp collection quest from the park.

no :(

I just didn't have patience for them. I started by accepting all sidequests, but at that point map didn't make much sense yet. So I just had about 40 red dots and no idea what to do. On second playthrough I just gave up on them :). And considering that I felt that route C was too long I don't think that doing more sidequests would solve my issues with open world...

EDIT: Just watched the video of that quest. You're right, it's pretty funny :)

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Finished Route A... I still think I hate this game. I had to set the final boss to easy to stand a chance (had no recovery items and no idea I was going into the endgame, also was only level 25 because I did like three sidequests)

Started Route B and got to the VERY END of the prologue, died, and was sent back to the beginning.

Story isn't doing it for me either, but I will admit that the set pieces and machine bosses are extremely majestic, in a very unique way.

Why normal?
The game is still plenty challenging on normal and for some reason, lock-on is disabled on hard. I would have loved to have played this on hard my first time through but having to aim manually takes away from the high speed pace of the action IMO. But if you think that's not a problem, go ahead and play it on hard. Just remember you won't be able to save until after the prologue.

Shit, chips carry over (with everything else seems like)

Can you buy the counter chip? I'd certainly hope that there wasn't only opportunity to have it. Game is playable without it but it's nice to have

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member
The game is still plenty challenging on normal and for some reason, lock-on is disabled on hard. I would have loved to have played this on hard my first time through but having to aim manually takes away from the high speed pace of the action IMO. But if you think that's not a problem, go ahead and play it on hard. Just remember you won't be able to save until after the prologue.

The reason is because having lock on trivializes the game way too much.
Hard eliminates the cheese of spamming dodge while your robot shoots away making you basically invincible and the robots can be insanely powerful especially late game. I was honestly bored of the game the first 8 hours or so until I switched to hard.
Shooting there becomes more like a ranged opportunity attack cost rather than a auto include action in your playstyle.

So what was you guys play time at when you finished Route A? I feel like I didn't take my time enough. 11 Hours for me. To be fair though, I did a main quest and it locked out many optional side quests. Will I get a chance to do them in the additional routes?

ramyeon

So what was you guys play time at when you finished Route A? I feel like I didn't take my time enough. 11 Hours for me. To be fair though, I did a main quest and it locked out many optional side quests. Will I get a chance to do them in the additional routes?
About 25 hours for me. I took my time, completed close to everything I could in the first route.

Yes you will, don't worry.

FrankWza

Finished Route A... I still think I hate this game. I had to set the final boss to easy to stand a chance (had no recovery items and no idea I was going into the endgame, also was only level 25 because I did like three sidequests)

Started Route B and got to the VERY END of the prologue, died, and was sent back to the beginning.

Story isn't doing it for me either, but I will admit that the set pieces and machine bosses are extremely majestic, in a very unique way.

Route a is really weak compared to the way the game finishes. The story gets a lot better and darker. I found 2b to not be very likeable until later as well. As far as the difficulty you just got caught with too few healing items. Youll get chips that will make them not even necessary, especially on normal but in the mean time spend some money and stock up.

laaame

Is starting on hard a bad idea?

Probably. You could just set the prologue mission to normal and switch afterwards, unless you don't mind getting one shot kills and restarting from the beginning of the game. There are no trophies tied to difficulty so no reason not to switch afterwards.

Demoskinos

So these two dots in this picture on the map.
They are right under the facility that you start at in the beginning of the game which leads me to believe that you have to be able to get elevator access somehow?
Can 2B actually get down here?

Jiraiza

So these two dots in this picture on the map.
They are right under the facility that you start at in the beginning of the game which leads me to believe that you have to be able to get elevator access somehow?
Can 2B actually get down here?

They're access points you'll get to via story progress.

hughesta

Banned
ROUTE C SPOILERS

chose A2, and she has an event marker at Devola's Item Shop in the Camp... But every time I go, there's nothing there. Will that just become available as I progress?

Rainy

Banned
Spoilers for a few things, still on Route A

Oh man that mission with the Resistance member fixing a YorHa unit and using him as "family" was kind of unsettling. That creepy music.

Also I just did that mission where 2B sends a picture of the flower to operator 6O. Man this is something I can ship...

Top Bottom