• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NieR: Automata |OT| "I wouldn't expect too much from this game if I were you."

I really enjoy challenging trophies. I was a little sad FFXV excluded all the best and hardest content from trophies too (
Pitioss Ruins and hunts
).

The jukebox in the Resistance Camp is pretty cool. It's fun listening to the different versions of the songs, and adding and removing the lyrics. I spent over an hour yesterday playing around with the first batch of songs you get for the jukebox

Shandy

The king of tiny, unnecessary details is that the Small Flyers have legit navigation lights on their discs.

Stupid little things like this in games always impress me. It makes me feel like they were crafted with a special kind of love.

Finally finished route B and whoa that was something else. Loved it more than the first route.

Current route feels like "Ok NOW Nier: Automata has started, that shit before was just the prologue."

Beef

Was really wowed by the demo and the combat / experience in the first level, absolutely loved it.

Then, the game makes this transition to
open world and fetch quest?
About 4 hours in now , I'm not enjoying the non combat portions of the game.
Running through an amusement park with mostly non-combat enemies? Running between towns? Running through a mostly combatless desert zone? Forced NPC chatter in multiple towns? Resource gathering? I'm hoping the game world doesn't get any larger, the non-combat sections are such a chore.

Does the game pick back up with the great segmented level style missions, or am I doomed to this open world?

Really a shame to see a game with such unique style and amazing combat
dragged out through some open world garbage.

True Fire

Was really wow'd by the demo and the combat / experience in the first level, absolutely loved it.

Running through an amusement park with mostly non-combat enemies? Running between towns? Running through a mostly combatless desert zone? Resource gathering? I'm hoping the game world doesn't get any larger, the non-combat sections are such a chore.

Does the game pick back up with the great segmented level style missions, or am I doomed to this open world?

Sidequests are optional. You can boss rush the entire game if you want.

Moaradin

Was really wowed by the demo and the combat / experience in the first level, absolutely loved it.

Running through an amusement park with mostly non-combat enemies? Running between towns? Running through a mostly combatless desert zone? Forced NPC chatter in multiple towns? Resource gathering? I'm hoping the game world doesn't get any larger, the non-combat sections are such a chore.

Those things are some of the best stuff in the game, but yeah you can just beeline though the main story. Just expect a lot of the world building to be lost this way.

LotusHD

Banned

Get fast travel, then tackle some of the sidequests. A lot of them are great in terms of dialogue, foreshadowing, worldbuilding, etc.

I've just reached the
theme park
myself, and while I definitely haven't had as strong a reaction to the structure of the game, I do find myself wondering if it was the best course of action for development, over a more streamlined mission based structure. Still, im enjoying myself and assume there is still faaar more to see from the game, and that it will eventually justify its design choices.

Yu Narukami

Route A mid-story spoiler.

Does the Goliath really say, I was human once or did I misheard it.

Just yes or no please. Still in route A.

I disliked open world stuff too. Just skip all sidequests and fast travel as much as possible. It's a really awesome game with pointless overworld. I know a lot of people here would disagree, but I'm really glad I skipped all of that junk. (you can always watch funny sidequests on youtube)

LotusHD

Banned
I disliked open world stuff too. Just skip all sidequests and fast travel as much as possible. It's a really awesome game with pointless overworld. I know a lot of people here would disagree, but I'm really glad I skipped all of that junk. (you can always watch funny sidequests on youtube)

Of course people disagree, because it's ultimately bad advice as a lot of the sidequests are by no means pointless, so not bothering to do even a single one is... Ehh. No one's saying you gotta do all of them, or even a lot of them (I only did a few myself, wish I had done more though) but ideally once you get fast travel, it becomes a lot easier to do at least tackle a few of them. Some of them are even in the same area, or can be done immediately if you already have the items on you, so yea.

The main story on its own is certainly engaging enough, but I'd leave it up to the players to decide what they want to do, rather than flat-out telling them to skip all sidequests.

Of course people disagree, because it's ultimately bad advice as a lot of the sidequests are by no means pointless, so not bothering to do even a single one is... Ehh. No one's saying you gotta do all of them, but ideally once you get fast travel, it becomes a lot easier to do at least tackle a few of them. Some of them are even in the same area, or can be done immediately if you already have the items on you, so yea.

The only reason why I feel strongly about sidequests is because they mostly have bad gameplay in a game that consistently delivers great gameplay during the main missions. As great as they are it's more efficient to watch them on youtube :)

LotusHD

Banned
The only reason why I feel strongly about sidequests is because they mostly have bad gameplay in a game that consistently delivers great gameplay during the main missions. As great as they are it's more efficient to watch them on youtube :)

Stuff like the story, dialogue, etc. is what interests me in sidequests first and foremost. Obviously I'd prefer the best of both worlds, but I've noticed that generally speaking, sidequests in general are pretty repetitive. For me personally, it's the story and what not attached to it that decides whether or not it is worth doing. If it's something like FFXV where it's both tedious and has nothing interesting about it, then yea, screw it.

As for the Youtube suggestion, that's easier said and done since people would want to avoid accidentally running into spoilers for one thing. And meh, I dunno about others, but unless it's something extremely difficult or long, I like experiencing stuff like that for myself.

Philippo

I'd put only TW3 above NieR in terms of sidequests, because the budget was definitely higher and this led to obviously better quest design.

Still, i'd rate Automata's sidequests emotional depth higher than TW3.

not that they need to compare in anyway, i just think those are the two with the best sidequests in years

aravuus

Oh fuck sake, thought I'd be able to play the game when I get home from work. 6pm releases are dumb. Probably won't have the time to dive in today. :(

Is side stuff easily missable?

01bgu9y.png

03mxugw.png

025lu8d.png

My fascination with acquiring modern-day PC releases continues unchallenged.

LotusHD

Banned
I'd put only TW3 above NieR in terms of sidequests, because the budget was definitely higher and this led to obviously better quest design.

Still, i'd rate Automata's sidequests emotional depth higher than TW3.

not that they need to compare in anyway, i just think those are the two with the best sidequests in years

I agree.

Oh fuck sake, thought I'd be able to play the game when I get home from work. 6pm releases are dumb. Probably won't have the time to dive in today. :(

Is side stuff easily missable?

As in sidequests? No, you can view them easily through your map, but there are points when they become unavailable if you progress too far into the story. Nothing is permanently unavailable however.

There is also a bunch of hidden paths and what not at imes due to the camera angles changing as well, so be aware of that when going through an area.

aravuus

As in sidequests? No, you can view them easily through your map, but there are points when they become unavailable if you progress too far into the story. Nothing is permanently unavailable however.

There is also a bunch of hidden paths and what not at imes due to the camera angles changing as well, so be aware of that when going through an area.

Talking about mainly side quests, yeah. Thanks, I'll probably systematically do every side quest I see on the map, I think I want to experience as much as possible of this game on the first run. Not that I'm never gonna replay it or anything, it just feels right.

You can change difficulty on the fly too, right? I'll just drop it down to easy if the gameplay parts of the quests start to get annoying.

LotusHD

Banned
Talking about mainly side quests, yeah. Thanks, I'll probably systematically do every side quest I see on the map, I think I want to experience as much as possible of this game on the first run. Not that I'm never gonna replay it or anything, it just feels right.

You can change difficulty on the fly too, right? I'll just drop it down to easy if the gameplay parts of the quests start to get annoying.

I'd advise you wait until you unlock fast travel (You'll know when you have) before getting too crazy with doing them, as it can be tedious to go around the map to complete them, even as an android that runs pretty fast.

And yea you can change difficulty whenever.

OniBaka

Questing wise if it starts to become a chore in the beginning then wait til you get fast travel then continue.

aravuus

Oh, there's fast travel? Good tip, thanks guys!

Steam store page's timer thing just went down to 2 hours, I wonder if that means 1hr and 45min or 2h and 45min.

JJShadow

I finally wrapped Horizon ZD and started this one today before heading to work, played for a couple of hours and I already know I'm gonna love it, cannot wait to sink tons of hours this weekend. I happened to unlock ending W as well, I lol'd quite hard when I saw it

Also, is the OST of this game fucking amazing or what?

cm osi

I finally wrapped Horizon ZD and started this one today before heading to work, played for a couple of hours and I already know I'm gonna love it, cannot wait to sink tons of hours this weekend. I happened to unlock ending W as well, I lol'd quite hard when I saw it

Also, is the OST of this game fucking amazing or what?

the ost of the game is super-amazing i love the
amusement park theme

also when you reach the first save point save the game and then press
l3+r3

hollomat

Banned
Beat the game and got the five main endings. Game went from being a 9 for me after the first ending to a 7 after all endings.

For a game with such great combat, it's annoying that you spend the majority of the game controlling a character who isn't fun to fight with (9S). I also hated the gameplay in route C/D. The logic virus part was very annoying and you spend the majority of the route as 9S. I also hated all the backtracking.

I really enjoyed fighting as 2B and A2, but after completing route A, these moments were few and far between, and the moments I was controlling them, there was usually an issue (logic virus).

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
End of Route B spoiler:

Commander: "Humanity went extinct before the aliens ever arrived."

Me, having been caught up on Nier lore for years: "Uh, yeah, duh."

It's funny how that big reveal isn't actually big or a reveal if you've been following Nier lore for a while. :lol

LotusHD

Banned
I finished route abcd, is there anything left?

Route E. Good luck, try not to give up.

End of Route B spoiler:

It's funny how that big reveal isn't actually big or a reveal if you've been following Nier lore for a while. :lol

What's funny is that people that played the first game didn't seem to question it that strongly lol

End of Route B spoiler:

It's not like you wouldn't expect something to be up with the most blatantly dubious aspect of the story either way. It also really isn't presented in some kind of "pls be shocked" kind of way. Unlike the first game's reveal, which was also predictable from miles away. The smaller moments are always more important in these games.

End of Route B spoiler:

I guess that some thought the remaining Replicants somehow managed a way to reproduce without their Gestalts or some Gestalts forcibly took hold of their Replicants and became human again or something.

But no, it wasn't really a surprise to me either.

Carbonox

"Completing" the inventor sidequest left me sitting there like "wut". So much money. For that. I had to laugh though and then off I went.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
"Completing" the inventor sidequest left me sitting there like "wut". So much money. For that. I had to laugh though and then off I went.

I do like that
if you complete the quest, you can see the launch tower he built all the way from the desert
. Nice detail there.

cm osi

you get him to sell some material you need if yo want to upgrade alle the weapons if you complete his subquest

Top Bottom