• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NieR: Automata |OT| "I wouldn't expect too much from this game if I were you."

thisbeard

I have a bit of a dilemma and so I'm looking for some advice. I have Nier on PS3 and played through to I think about the halfway point of a first play through and did all the side quests up until then. For the most part, I was really enjoying the game but I fell off it for maybe about a year now.

So the dilemma is, should I play through Automata first (I have the game and a PS4) and go back to finish Nier later? Or should I suck it up and play through Nier first? Should I just watch the endings and read the lore (Patrick K. from Waypoint Vice apparently did a good summary...). I know it's been said countless times that people don't need to play through Nier first but ideally, I would like the full bizarre experience and it feels like I'm already invested.

So maybe I just figured out my own dilemma and maybe a better question is: If i play Nier Automata first would Gaf think it possible to go back to Nier (PS3) half way point and continue to enjoy my first play through from there?

Thanks for any spoiler free advice or input!

LotusHD

Banned
I have a bit of a dilemma and so I'm looking for some advice. I have Nier on PS3 and played through to I think about the halfway point of a first play through and did all the side quests up until then. For the most part, I was really enjoying the game but I fell off it for maybe about a year now.

So the dilemma is, should I play through Automata first (I have the game and a PS4) and go back to finish Nier later? Or should I suck it up and play through Nier first? Should I just watch the endings and read the lore (Patrick K. from Waypoint Vice apparently did a good summary...). I know it's been said countless times that people don't need to play through Nier first but ideally, I would like the full bizarre experience and it feels like I'm already invested.

So maybe I just figured out my own dilemma and maybe a better question is: If i play Nier Automata first would Gaf think it possible to go back to Nier (PS3) half way point and continue to enjoy my first play through from there?

Thanks for any spoiler free advice or input!

If you're in a hurry to play Automata, then you could just watch it or something. Because admittedly yea, watching Nier does enrich the experience further somewhat. I certainly wouldn't really want to go back to the first one after beating Automata anytime soon...

ubercheez

God damn, this soundtrack is ridiculous. 30 hours in on route C and I'm still hearing new tracks that make me just want to put the controller down and listen.

thisbeard

If you're in a hurry to play Automata, then you could just watch it or something. Because admittedly yea, watching Nier does enrich the experience further somewhat. I certainly wouldn't really want to go back to the first one after beating Automata anytime soon...

Got it. There's no rush really, especially with so many amazing games coming out. Well, actually, I guess it might be more about playing it to join in on the excitement and conversation of its release. I'll have to consider some more because not to go off topic too much but, Nier and Deadly Premonition are two games I've really enjoyed late on the PS3 but they're quite difficult to go back to when so many recent games are totally compelling.

On topic, I can't wait to see Automata for myself and if i do look up earlier Nier stuff I'll still be glad to have given it a shot. Cheers and thanks for weighing in!

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Route B question, still at the prologue

How come 9S can read the names of enemy bosses and 2B can't? Also, would you say his route is harder or about the same as 2B's story?

Also, this guy is a total racist.

LotusHD

Banned
Got it. There's no rush really, especially with so many amazing games coming out. Well, actually, I guess it might be more about playing it to join in on the excitement and conversation of its release. I'll have to consider some more because not to go off topic too much but, Nier and Deadly Premonition are two games I've really enjoyed late on the PS3 but they're quite difficult to go back to when so many recent games are totally compelling.

On topic, I can't wait to see Automata for myself and if i do look up earlier Nier stuff I'll still be glad to have given it a shot. Cheers and thanks for weighing in!

Don't worry, we'll still be here waiting. Hope you enjoy it all!

Route B question, still at the prologue

How come 9S can read the names of enemy bosses? Also, would you say his route is harder or about the same as 2B's story?

I don't remember why tbh

It's a lot easier, 9S's hacking kills robots a lot faster than fighting normally, and due to you just finishing Route A, you know the gist of where to go and how to deal with the bosses more efficiently.

Equip an auto-heal chip if you're struggling.

I've never not have an Auto Heal +3/+4 equipped at all times, and I've never needed to use healing items for 90% of the game.

ToKre

is normal too easy?? i heard hard sometimes isn't fair and i would love a fair challenge

sorry if it has been asked alot i'm trying to avoid the spoilers.

LotusHD

Banned
is normal too easy?? i heard hard sometimes isn't fair and i would love a fair challenge

It can sorta be at times as you progress in the late-game if you equip the really good chips like Overclock and the ones that heal you, but I'd say it's still better balanced than Hard.

Does somebody know if there are any more secret enemies like the
statue in the amusement park? Trying to build up my unit data here.

It's decent if you don't abuse the plug-in chips.

laaame

I never felt normal was too easy that I was bored. But that said I only died twice (in combat) on normal for route A, and I would say I'm not that great at character action games.

I will warn you though, hard is extremely dumb, with one hit kills everywhere and the risk of losing all your chips far greater. I switched to hard waaaaay later into the game once I had upgraded chips to let me survive, and its way more playable with my character dying in two hits instead of one.

I need all of the 2B/Nines cute/funny comics, somebody help me find some!

gcTTTgj.png

Naite

Yeah, I've fought him. It's crazy because it feels like I've seen all of what the game has to offer and yet it tells me I've only seen 93% of enemies.
Theres some stupidly rare enemy spawns. Like the enhanced small drill enemies that only spawn in the underground caves, and not until route c where you never have to visit that place again, and its a very rare spawn chance.

I have a question about a side quest. The guy that told me to find three micro-chips, I did that and gave it back in Route A. I remember the questlog saying he wants to show me his family. Now I am in Route B and I have that quest again.

How does it work? Do I have to do this quest again?

LotusHD

Banned
I have a question about a side quest. The guy that told me to find three micro-chips, I did that and gave it back in Route A. I remember the questlog saying he wants to show me his family. Now I am in Route B and I have that quest again.

How does it work? Do I have to do this quest again?

If you don't fully complete a quest, it resets in later routes.

Arklite

Theres some stupidly rare enemy spawns. Like the enhanced small drill enemies that only spawn in the underground caves, and not until route c where you never have to visit that place again, and its a very rare spawn chance.

My index logged something that looks like a small
raptor or T-rex bot
and I have no idea where the hell I ever saw that.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Got to route C and that's one hell of a start.

Honestly found B to be a bit of a slog but the ending stuff was good.
Hacking is OP as hell but gets really tedious, didn't really enjoy playing 9S much at all overall. I'm actually sloppy as hell at C right now because combat has just been hold triangle minishmups for so long, lol.

My index logged something that looks like a small
raptor or T-rex bot
and I have no idea where the hell I ever saw that.
I encountered that in the forest below the waterfall. That enemy was especially awesome as it was a straight up reference to
Shin Godzilla. It has a atomic breath move that starts off with smoke and red fire and changes to more fine bright purple. Lasers also shoot from its back.

So how is the PS4 Pro version? Are there many dips below 60fps? I love getting trophies but I sure like consistent framerates + 1440p too. Should I wait for the Steam version? If the PS4P version is consistent 60, I'll go with that.

psychotron

So how is the PS4 Pro version? Are there many dips below 60fps? I love getting trophies but I sure like consistent framerates + 1440p too. Should I wait for the Steam version? If the PS4P version is consistent 60, I'll go with that.

There is stuttering when roaming the open world. I think it's more a streaming issue than frame rate, as DF said the frame rate is consistent. I got over it eventually but it can be bad in spots. I'd wait for PC impressions.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony

its a very playable experience on PS4 base, pro is supposedly marginally better with higher resolution(1080p with AA and motion blur and better AF versus 900p no AA and lower level of AF)

The FPS is not a big issue like other console Platinum games where the FPS frequently slows the game down, although the FPS skips a bit when running around certain parts of the world as assets are streamed in. Not a very big deal though IMO, just based on my experience of playing the game start to finish

HeelPower

Probably. You could just set the prologue mission to normal and switch afterwards, unless you don't mind getting one shot kills and restarting from the beginning of the game. There are no trophies tied to difficulty so no reason not to switch afterwards.

I find it insane,mindblowingly so, that you don't get a trophy for completing this game on very hard from start to finish.

That mode is the epitome of difficult ,and you don't even get cyber bragging rights for completing it.

Arklite

I encountered that in the forest below the waterfall. That enemy was especially awesome as it was a straight up reference to
Shin Godzilla. It has a atomic breath move that starts off with smoke and red fire and changes to more fine bright purple. Lasers also shoot from its back.

Crazy, I'll try looking for it, not sure how I got near it and missed it.

LotusHD

Banned
I find it insane,mindblowingly so, that you don't get a trophy for completing this game on very hard from start to finish.

That mode is the epitome of difficult ,and you don't even get cyber bragging rights for completing it.

I'm surprised that they didn't do that as well. Would've been a perfect troll moment too considering
that you'd be able to buy the trophy anyways.

Top Bottom