• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NieR: Automata |OT| "I wouldn't expect too much from this game if I were you."

Gosh, this game is incredible. I love how in the first couple of minutes, it jumps from action game, to 2D shmup, to 3D shmup, to platformer, to top down shooter. The way projectiles are implemented in combat work so well. It's almost DOOM-like, but this isn't primarily a shooter, so it's shocking how well it works.

And the open world, at least so far, is so good! I love being able to just wander around open fields, and the level design here in particular is done so well. Plus it's really pretty and packed with a lot of secrets. I can see myself getting lost in this game for hours.

EDIT: This game is making me feel things now too, and that is damn good in my book.

Ferr986

So just received the game and there's a weird sticky in the box (it's in the box, not in the wrap plastic).
Wrmqk8w.jpg
Is this normal? Is literally the first time I see this (PAL-Spain version). I was thinking maybe it's a 2nd hand copy but it has the original PS4 wrap, also I got it from Game...

So just received the game and there's a weird sticky in the box (it's in the box, not in the wrap plastic).

Is this normal? Is literally the first time I see this (PAL-Spain version). I was thinking maybe it's a 2nd hand copy but it has the original PS4 wrap, also I got it from Game...

It's a golden ticket earning you entry to Yoko Taro's Fun Factory!

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
died to the
dual saw blades
, have to restart...

really? I mean I had heard about the save thing, but still, to just lose half an hour like that and forcing you to restart is just such a "I am a wacky developer guyz" thing. How do you even defend that (which im sure many will rush to do in 2 seconds)?

Game itself seems great tho, I really like the constant viewpoint changes. Shame about the performance on PC, the game doesnt even look that good so its weird.

edit: cant skip cutscenes lol

JustinBB7

died to the
dual saw blades
, have to restart...

really? I mean I had heard about the save thing, but still, to just lose half an hour like that and forcing you to restart is just such a "I am a wacky developer guyz" thing. How do you even defend that (which im sure many will rush to do in 2 seconds)?

Game itself seems great tho, I really like the constant viewpoint changes. Shame about the performance on PC, the game doesnt even look that good so its weird.

I just died at the final (?) boss of the tutorial. After dying once to the first. Been playing for an hour and have to start all over again. Fuck this game. Was I at the final boss? It was some
giant power rangers robot and 9S gets hurt fighting it and I went after him,
had no healing left and died.

died to the
dual saw blades
, have to restart...

back in my day, we didn't get saves
you ran out of credits, you started the game over

died to the
dual saw blades
, have to restart...

edit: cant skip cutscenes lol

That sounds horrible, maybe I will play on "easy"

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
That sounds horrible, maybe I will play on "easy"

Ive actually seen a lot of people that played the game recomend that for the tutorial but I completely forgot.

Also you CAN skip cut scenes, the prompt to do it just doesnt show up initially (for whatever reason), so thats on me.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
I don't think I'll ever get tired of the prologue claiming new victims.

I love it. Better to learn now, than later when potentially you could put in substantially longer than 30 mins between saves.

People need to get their heads round the fact that this is a RPG, so difficulty is always relative to character build/level. During the intro you are running at baseline, so hard -which effects enemy scaling only- is really hard.

LotusHD

Banned
Ive actually seen a lot of people that played the game recomend that for the tutorial but I completely forgot.

I only recommend Easy if they're like super pissed that they lost 30+ min, so they may as well just blitz through it.

Not what I asked. I died and wanna know if I was at the end of the tutorial so I won't have to replay again if I would die again.

It's the same thing as the demo. You'll know when you're done with the beginning section, because you just got done beating him his own arm. Then a cutscene happens.

Rhaknar

I love it. Better to learn now, than later when potentially you could put in substantially longer than 30 mins between saves.

People need to get their heads round the fact that this is a RPG, so difficulty is always relative to character build/level. During the intro you are running at baseline, so hard -which effects enemy scaling only- is really hard.

yes this is a rpg. you know what rpgs have? saves. This game also has saves, just not until lter, for whatever reason. Like I said, im not surprised people defend this, it just bafles me. I sware the game could fry your harddrive when you died and people would still defend it.

honestly, what would change if the game just checkpointed before those bosses? how would the experience be any worse? you say "people need to learn".

what am I learning from redoing this easy ass fodder enemies and shooting sections early on? am I learning that I can RT to dodge if the timing is right? ok I learned that from the very first enemy group.

why not just say "yeah thats bullshit, but its worth it because the game is awesome trust me". And i believe you, but to defend this is so strange to me.

i saw this safety sticker thing on italian versions in the past. maybe its their distributor. got nothing to do with 2nd hand.

JustinBB7

yes this is a rpg. you know what rpgs have? saves. This game also has saves, just not until lter, for whatever reason. Like I said, im not surprised people defend this, it just bafles me. I sware the game could fry your harddrive when you died and people would still defend it.

honestly, what would change if the game just checkpointed before those bosses? how would the experience be any worse? you say "people need to learn".

what am I learning from redoing this easy ass fodder enemies and shooting sections early on? am I learning that I can RT to dodge if the timing is right? ok I learned that from the very first enemy group.

why not just say "yeah thats bullshit, but its worth it because the game is awesome trust me". And i believe you, but to defend this is so strange to me.

Agreed. It's just a waste of time. I already played the entire tutorial, I want new content. I don't mind dying and doing something over, but not the entire fucking thing.

DKL

I feel like people don't realize that when you're just tossed into the game without knowing what to do, even normal can be something else because it's completely possible you're initially not sure how to even heal (or you wanna see how far you go before dying and don't want to spam heal), but then they boot you out to the menu and you had no idea there wasn't going to be a checkpoint lol

I know the game says play to learn how to save, but you don't even really learn until like 30 minutes to one hour later lol

Question from route A
after finishing 9S MIA I noticed that some quests are not avaliable anymore, like Emil memories, will they be avaliable later or did I fuck up?

It's part of the narrative, and it helps to establish the stakes of that mission.

I feel like people don't realize that when you're just tossed into the game without knowing what to do, even normal can be something else because it's completely possible you're initially not sure how to even heal (or you wanna see how far you go before dying and don't want to spam heal), but then they boot you out to the menu and you had no idea there wasn't going to be a checkpoint lol

I know the game says play to learn how to save, but you don't even really learn until like 30 minutes to one hour later lol

Trust me, the tutorial kicked my butt. I was spamming heals like the noob I am. But it's reasonable, and doable. The game even goes into slow motion when you get hit into critical health.

JJShadow

For those playing on OG PS4, do you also suffer from stuttering/frame drops from time to time when exploring? It seems to be more prominent when 2B reaches max speed when running. In combat everything is going smooth so far

Philippo

Question from route A
after finishing 9S MIA I noticed that some quests are not avaliable anymore, like Emil memories, will they be avaliable later or did I fuck up?

Wait what? I just fought
Adam
and did not notice this.
Do i have to wait for Route B/C for the missing quests? Also do other new quests pop up in subsequent routes?

Crayon

For those playing on OG PS4, do you also suffer from stuttering/frame drops from time to time when exoloring? It seems to be more prominent when 2B reaches max speed when running. In combat everything is going smooth so far

All the time. The really harsh boss fights run smooth but the open areas have plenty of stutters.

LotusHD

Banned
For those playing on OG PS4, do you also suffer from stuttering/frame drops from time to time when exoloring? It seems to be more prominent when 2B reaches max speed when running. In combat everything is going smooth so far

I'm not the best at noticing shit like that, but probably. Regardless, the 40+ hours I played was overall smooth af, with no bugs or glitches either.

DKL

Trust me, the tutorial kicked my butt. I was spamming heals like the noob I am. But it's reasonable, and doable. The game even goes into slow motion when you get hit into critical health.

I finished Route A and Route B's opening sequences on very hard and even I think that the expectation on a player going in blind is unreasonable lol

Satch

Banned
For those playing on OG PS4, do you also suffer from stuttering/frame drops from time to time when exploring? It seems to be more prominent when 2B reaches max speed when running. In combat everything is going smooth so far

yes because the world streaming doesnt keep up with 2b's speed

Shandy

My personal recommendation to newcomers is to take off the auto-heal chip at the first available opportunity because I think it makes stupid decisions on when to heal you. You may not even notice the game IS automatically healing you. Also, learn to run up/left so that you can easily hit down on the dpad to open your items without standing there like a stunned mullet. Remember that the dodge is reeeeeally generous and also chaining perfect evades looks cool as hell.

It can be tough when you're so resource poor at the beginning, but try to keep a full stack of small heals. They'll serve you well for most of the game and they're cheap as chips. If you want to be a badass and struggle, though, then ignore me.

JJShadow

All the time. The really harsh boss fights run smooth but the open areas have plenty of stutters.

I'm not the best at noticing shit like that, but probably. Regardless, the 40+ hours I played was overall smooth af, with no bugs or glitches either.

yes because the world streaming doesnt keep up with 2b's speed

Thank you guys. Yeah, it seems like 2B's speed is much faster than the world loading times lol As long as combat is not affected I'm happy with it

I just got the game on PC and I am repeating the tutorial for like an hour. I dropped the difficulty from very hard to hard, and it is still stupid. At least make me skip cutscenes or provide a checkpoint after landing.

Crayon

Protip for those finding it hard:

You can link perfect Dodges to remain invincible if you are caught in harm's way.

Satch

Banned
I just got the game on PC and I am repeating the tutorial for like an hour. I dropped the difficulty from very hard to hard, and it is still stupid. At least make me skip cutscenes or provide a checkpoint after landing.

put it on normal and you can skip cutscenes and mash thru the dialogue (its O on ps4, idk anything about playing games like this on PC so idk the button)

DKL

I think the worst part about the PC version is that loading is still molasses ;_;

(and like I said earlier: I suspect it's not actually a loading screen... it's just a loading cutscene)

Rhaknar

"saving possible" oh why thank you videogame >_>

anyway, baffling non-saves during tutorial aside (I actually dont think playing it on easy is even necessary, its easy enough on normal as it is, I just got caught by a OHKO I guess), game is super slick so far. Also
punching giant oil rig robots with their own arm is cool.

Man these perspective switches are my jam im telling you. Its also maybe my favorite platinum gameplay, but its maybe too soon to tell, its certainly very easy to get into and have fun.

My mind is ready for a fucked up story. It better be fucked up, I was sold on fucked up-ness.

Morzak

put it on normal and you can skip cutscenes and mash thru the dialogue (its O on ps4, idk anything about playing games like this on PC so idk the button)

I couldn't skip the whole first part until you get control over your character. after the second death put it back on normal then the game becomes manageable. Problem is the first shmup part is just lame and not really that interesting. Until now i felt the schmup parts weren't all that interesting.
Also most cut scenes have sever frame drops, which sucks for a game that seems to have a lot of them. Really like the music and atmosphere for now

Top Bottom