• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NieR: Automata |OT| "I wouldn't expect too much from this game if I were you."

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
"saving possible" oh why thank you videogame >_>

anyway, baffling non-saves during tutorial aside (I actually dont think playing it on easy is even necessary, its easy enough as it is, I just got caught by a OHKO I guess), game is super slick so far. Also
punching giant oil rig robots with their own arm is cool.

Man these perspective switches are my jam im telling you. Its also maybe my favorite platinum gameplay, but its maybe too soon to tell, its certainly very easy to get into and have fun.

My mind is ready for a fucked up story. It better be fucked up, I was sold on fucked up-ness.

stuff happens the more you go in

Thanks guys. I switched to normal to run through the tutorial. I am finding combat a bit clunky with keyboard and mouse, but I will probably switch to a controller. I wish there was a proper tutorial that gets you familiar with controls.

Jiraiza

You can't skip the opening talking sequence tho and that sequence runs its course every time you restart :v

Damn. When 2B talks about the cycle of life and death, she was clearly talking about all the players who keep dying in the prologue.

Taro, you mad man.

20/10 GOAT game.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
hows the combat tutorial? will they tell you shit along the way, or are we talking about a RE6 situation withg a bunch of hidden moves that the game never tells you about here btw?

For example, the tutorial never tells you about those "perfect dodges" (dodging at last second and 2B goes all ninja and then you can kick them in the air for coolness, doesnt tell you about double jump, air dash or hold jump in the air to glide with pod, etc.

Anyone else really appreciate how the setting is used to root gameplay elements in the game's world? Saving is backing up your data. Respawning after dieing is loading the backup data into a new body (while your old body is still out there). Customizing the HUD is done through the character using different chips. The settings menu is explained to the player by 9S explaining it to 2B on boot after the first mission. (I loved that part.) Some android in-game characters suffer from motion sickness due to incorrectly set camera settings. So much CONTEXT. Kyle Bosman would love it.

Satch

Banned
hows the combat tutorial? will they tell you shit along the way, or are we talking about a RE6 situation withg a bunch of hidden moves that the game never tells you about here btw?

For example, the tutorial never tells you about those "perfect dodges" (dodging at last second and 2B goes all ninja and then you can kick them in the air for coolness, doesnt tell you about double jump, air dash or hold jump in the air to glide with pod, etc.

u experiment yourself. there is a "magic" system (in this game theyre called Pod Programs, and you got one from the tutorial) and you can use that to flesh out your combos

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Anyone else really appreciate how the setting is used to root gameplay elements in the game's world? Saving is backing up your data. Respawning after dieing is loading the backup data into a new body (while your old body is still out there). Customizing the HUD is done through the character using different chips. The settings menu is explained to the player by 9S explaining it to 2B on boot after the first mission. (I loved that part.) Some android in-game characters suffer from motion sickness due to incorrectly set camera settings. So much CONTEXT. Kyle Bosman would love it.
Something about the "saving possible" within a certain range of the save transmitter makes so much sense to me. Maybe because it mirrors our relationship to wifi today.

LotusHD

Banned

Yea I love it lol, adds to the style of the game.

Arklite

The chipset is particularly clever. They could've been generic 'upgrade modules' but managing chip settings and upgrading storage capacity fits so well.

Another thing it never tells you (and I'm sure a bunch of people in this thread have never done it) is that jumping and pressing Jump+Fire button at the same time has you grab the pod and use it to fling yourself forward

Another thing it never tells you (and I'm sure a bunch of people in this thread have never done it) is that jumping and pressing Jump+Fire button at the same time has you grab the pod and use it to fling yourself forward

There's some kind of nuance to it, though. I can't seem to do it 100% of the time in the air, particularly after double jumping.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.

u experiment yourself. there is a "magic" system (in this game theyre called Pod Programs, and you got one from the tutorial) and you can use that to flesh out your combos

so it IS RE6 all over again :3

Jiraiza

There's some kind of nuance to it, though. I can't seem to do it 100% of the time in the air, particularly after double jumping.

I remember dropping a post about the mechanics of it in the demo thread somewhere.

Doesn't look like you can use this to extend a combo if you do a second jump and an attack. It also eats your second jump. First jump plus a number of attacks after seems okay, on the other hand. You can do double jump and the pod kick too, it seems.

Fire + Jump to do this, for the curious.

Baalzebup

Definitely. I was impressed with the OS chips and the various implications of that even during the demo and everything else you just mentioned just made it better.

LotusHD

Banned

Demo thread progressed long enough that I caught all of those little tips lol

Shandy

.... what? It's taking everything I have to keep my arse planted in this chair instead of running to start up the game. I've got 60 hours in this game and I didn't know that.

Trickster

So there are various different loot container throughout the world it seems, and one of those are this kind of pretty big chest looking thing with something resembling some kind of mine or something on top of it, which i can't open. Wondering what I have to do to be able to open those?

DKL

It ain't like witch time is a brand new mechanic to platinum games dawg.

But the game doesn't tell you that you can actually be hit in witch time here until... you actually get hit lol

But yeah, is there a video game people can look to in order to learn all the system stuff?

Hektor

So there are various different loot container throughout the world it seems, and one of those are this kind of pretty big chest looking thing with something resembling some kind of mine or something on top of it, which i can't open. Wondering what I have to do to be able to open those?

You'll know it when you can open them

DKL

Anyword on the quality of the PC port? Deciding between ps4 and PC right now

If you have a 1080, I definitely recommend the PC version...

Even with the graphical glitches (random sparks, lots of popin), the fact that the frame rate remains stable during mobs while I charge my pod is amazing.

.... what? It's taking everything I have to keep my arse planted in this chair instead of running to start up the game. I've got 60 hours in this game and I didn't know that.
Did you get the
weapon chest
in the
flooded coast
? I don't know how it's possible to get that without working that technique into the jumps.

Completely stumped with how to progress in route C. Any help?

I did two A2 segments and have been on 9S's for a while, but there's no current objective anymore. I did all the sidequests I could find barring Reconnaissance Squad since that's just finding enemy types. I think the last current objective marker I did was one where I helped Jackass's assistant by moving boxes to get to him, which got me a repair pod program as a reward. The only thing I could think of is maybe I need some kinda key to hack into those towers at the city centre but I don't know how to get that yet.

I died to the second phase of the boss. I got stuck in the horizontal attack animation; I couldn't dodge or heal (got pause menu over and over). I fucking hate Platinum games; they always include stupid mechanics in their damn games. JUST PUT A FUCKING PROPER TUTORIAL AND SAVE MECHANIC. How fucking hard is that?

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
If you have a 1080, I definitely recommend the PC version...

Even with the graphical glitches (random sparks, lots of popin), the fact that the frame rate remains stable during mobs while I charge my pod is amazing.

I have a GTX 1070

Does the game have unstable frame rate even on a ps4 pro?

I died to the second phase of the boss. I got stuck in the horizontal attack animation; I couldn't dodge or heal (got pause menu over and over). I fucking hate Platinum games; they always include stupid mechanics in their damn games. JUST PUT A FUCKING PROPER TUTORIAL AND SAVE MECHANIC. How fucking hard is that?

Q9BKYzJ.gif

DKL

I suspect it's not completely on platinum as they normally have decent checkpoints in their games lol

Sami+

Hey, does anyone know how to consistently hit the gauntlet to giant sword combo? The one that looks like she's tossing and hitting a baseball. It's dope as fuck and does a lot of damage, and that's my favorite weapon combo, but I can't seem to figure out if it's a timing thing or what.

LotusHD

Banned

If you haven't already, put it on Normal or Easy and just get through it. And you don't need to pause the menu to heal, if I read that correctly.

Hey, does anyone know how to consistently hit the gauntlet to giant sword combo? The one that looks like she's tossing and hitting a baseball. It's dope as fuck and does a lot of damage, and that's my favorite weapon combo, but I can't seem to figure out if it's a timing thing or what.

Yoko Taro is a troll. I recall him saying that he deliberately made it so that it would occasionally miss on purpose lmao

Crayon

Looooooooooool.

Try easy mode.

Jiraiza

I was under the assumption this was a Yoko Taro thing more than a PG thing. Ha ha.

DKL

I was under the assumption this was a Yoko Taro thing more than a PG thing. Ha ha.

Yeah, I suspect it is too...

Like, there are some decent checkpoints in the game... but I was under the impression that those are mainly the times that PG managed to convince Taro that it was probably a good idea.

I have a GTX 1070

Does the game have unstable frame rate even on a ps4 pro?

Also, not ignoring you, but I don't have an answer to this particular question.

Jiraiza

Might be the light -> heavy string with the Large Sword in your light slot, and the gauntlet in your heavy slot. Could be wrong though.

If you haven't already, put it on Normal or Easy and just get through it. And you don't need to pause the menu to heal, if I read that correctly.

Yoko Taro is a troll. I recall him saying that he deliberately made it so that it would occasionally miss on purpose lmao

I am not sure about the auto-heal chip setup; people say I shouldn't use it. I think I should work on mapping the controls properly or just use a controller. The camera is too slow and aiming is too sensitive; I have to get around this.

Edit: okay, delete is quick menu button. I will just run through this whole thing fast. I don't want to explore or anything. The design of the tutorial is a nice way to turn people off--well done Cavia (formerly) and P*.

Sami+

I can't even be mad at that lol

Jb

I actually laughed out loud when the giant enemy robot's name popped up and we got
Pascal v Engels fighting as two big ass Transformers
. The way the game name drops philosophers is pretty funny.

I'm pretty sure I'm getting close to the true end and I have to say I'm absolutely loving this game. Besides the slightly bland city ruins environment Automata has such a unique vibe going on. Yoko Taro x Platinum is a great partnership and I hope they get the chance to work on other projects together.

I aced the demo on my first try, went back to play again and died on the boss because I was messing around trying to see what different ways I could dodge and stuff.

Feeling over prepared, I walked through the prologue with barely any concern for my health and ended up getting a bit too cute with my dodges and counters so I got killed by a random enemy shot.

Having to play through again was no big deal, as it isn't really hard, and I haven't died since in something like 20 hours.

Can't fault Taro for my mistakes or anyone else's.

LotusHD

Banned
I am not sure about the auto-heal chip setup; people say I shouldn't use it. I think I should work on mapping the controls properly or just use a controller. The camera is too slow and aiming is too sensitive; I have to get around this.

I do L1 for Evade, L2 Pod Program, R1 Fire, R2 Switch Weapon

And I'm not talking about the auto-heal, there's a shortcut to accessing your curatives without having to pause and go through the menu. It's called "Use Item"

I can't even be mad at that lol

Same lol

Shandy

Did you get the
weapon chest
in the
flooded coast
? I don't know how it's possible to get that without working that technique into the jumps.

I did, but I honestly could not tell you how. I failed a lot of times before I managed to slap out some inputs that somehow managed to get me to the edge. It's entirely possible I did the move accidentally, I don't actually know what it looks like.

Edit: Wait, no no no, I remember now. I tried coordinating a series of inputs before Googling it and seeing the recommendation to use the Missile pod program. So I used the scrub way to get to it.

t1gerjaw

So, hard mode on the demo wasn't hard mode for me, I think I died what, twice?
Here I've been playing for around 2 hours and can't pass the damn tutorial...

COOL, but it's starting to get annoying

LotusHD

Banned
So, hard mode on the demo wasn't hard mode for me, I think I died what, twice?
Here I've been playing for around 2 hours and can't pass the damn tutorial...

COOL, but it's starting to get annoying

We're telling people to put it on Normal/Easy to get through that part for a reason lol

For whatever reason, they made it harder than the demo.

EdmondD

CHo13B_WcAAPZ3a.png

Have a boring proper tutorial like every other game in existence? Nah, I like it the way it is. It sounds like you got caught in a bug so I do understand your anger.

Gigaryu

Neo Member
Just got Ending D (at least thats what it says on the save file), with the least sploilers as possible please, how do i achieve ending C and what about E? Theres more?

Top Bottom