• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NieR: Automata |OT| "I wouldn't expect too much from this game if I were you."

LotusHD

Banned
Just got Ending D (at least thats what it says on the save file), with the least sploilers as possible please, how do i achieve ending C and what about E? Theres more?

Chapter select, just pick the other person to fight as. For Chapter E, I'll let you figure that out, but just know this... Don't give up.

people who change to easy or normal in the opening mission are quitters

Judging by the reactions here, if they don't change it, they'll sooner break their discs lmao

ChanMan

I actually laughed out loud when the giant enemy robot's name popped up and we got
Pascal v Engels fighting as two big ass Transformers
. The way the game name drops philosophers is pretty funny.

I'm pretty sure I'm getting close to the true end and I have to say I'm absolutely loving this game. Besides the slightly bland city ruins environment Automata has such a unique vibe going on. Yoko Taro x Platinum is a great partnership and I hope they get the chance to work on other projects together.

Yes I admit that part was really awesome. It kind of reminded me of
Rock'em Sock'em Robots

Having a problem and need some help, bros

After the opening/tutorial mission, the white screen fades to 2B looking out one of the space station windows and she goes to meet 9S.

After their conversation, things seem to be broken. I go see the Commander and she says this to me:

dTWrMqt.jpg

I have not held any conversation with her prior, nor have I been in the room since "reboot". I've looked at some Youtube videos and there is supposed to be a crowd of these android people to the right off the elevator and a marker over the Commander. I see none of that, as pictured here:

When I go to look at the Intel station in 2B's (or anyone's) room, I see this, which looks glitched.

Even scanning through the menu I can hear 2B doing attacks as if the game isn't recognizing that I'm in the menu system. Sometimes I'm unable to close the menu at all and am forced to reboot.

The Quests are all greyed out, as shown here:

When I go to the Hangar, nothing happens on any pads (where it looks like something is supposed to happen). It looks like this:

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I've restarted the game from the beginning and been wandering around the station trying to figure out if I've done something wrong for more than an hour.

Please help.

T.O.P

Banned
3 hours in and this screams goty and goat already

Only thing that i can't stand is the damn 3d map, jesus christ i never have any fuckin clue where i am lol

I died to the second phase of the boss. I got stuck in the horizontal attack animation; I couldn't dodge or heal (got pause menu over and over). I fucking hate Platinum games; they always include stupid mechanics in their damn games. JUST PUT A FUCKING PROPER TUTORIAL AND SAVE MECHANIC. How fucking hard is that?
Okay I'll grant you it sucks to die in the opening but this might be a bit much for 30 minutes of content at most.

Pundere

Well I did it. I got the platinum (
the legit way, didn't buy trophies
) and redid Ending E, this time
deleting my save data.

This is easily one of my favorite games ever and I really hope more people get to experience it.

Jiraiza

After the opening/tutorial mission, the white screen fades to 2B looking out one of the space station windows and she goes to meet 9S.

After their conversation, things seem to be broken. I go see the Commander and she says this to me:

I have not held any conversation with her prior, nor have I been in the room since "reboot". I've looked at some Youtube videos and there is supposed to be a crowd of these android people to the right off the elevator and a marker over the Commander. I see none of that, as pictured here:

When I go to look at the Intel station in 2B's (or anyone's) room, I see this, which looks glitched.

Even scanning through the menu I can hear 2B doing attacks as if the game isn't recognizing that I'm in the menu system. Sometimes I'm unable to close the menu at all and am forced to reboot.

The Quests are all greyed out, as shown here:

When I go to the Hangar, nothing happens on any pads (where it looks like something is supposed to happen). It looks like this:

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I've restarted the game from the beginning and been wandering around the station trying to figure out if I've done something wrong for more than an hour.

Please help.

Pretty weird bug. You're supposed to meet 9S and it's supposed to cut to the cinematic where you get some background information on the machine war. Did you not get that?

Indignate

I think you just ran into a shitty scripting bug, fam.

From the end of the boss, 2B is on the Bunker as you said. You talk to 9S and thank him for helping you. Then it cuts to some background story stuff and you do a settings tutorial (adjust brightness and stuff). After, you get up and you should have an objective marker pointing you towards the commander and then pointing you to the hanger afterwards. There should definitely be people up in that room with the commander and those intel stations in all the other rooms should be shops.

You say you've gone though the prologue twice now and still have this issue? Have you tried verifying game files?

Shandy

Only thing that i can't stand is the damn 3d map, jesus christ i never have any fuckin clue where i am lol

Not only is the map kind of difficult to parse - which the game acknowledges, but even just controlling it feels a bit wonky. On the one hand, I like game maps that let you hit a button to toggle between levels, but I realised Automata couldn't do that effectively and I began to appreciate the degree of verticality in the world.

It's still annoying sometimes, though.

Honestly, 9S needs to fuck off while I'm trying to take screenshots.

I was doing some delicate jumping at one point and 9S knocked me off the edge! So when I was fishing and he fell into some deep water, I felt a sense of satisfaction.

Honestly, the companion AI is a bit... weird at times. During some of the later (sidequest spoilers?)
Father Servo
fights, 2B's AI just shat itself completely and she would run against him doing nothing, before getting knocked over and running at the wall. Those fights are hard (or rather, long-winded) enough without your partner deciding to peace out and do some cardio.

Pygrus

I just beat route A and I really liked it.

The only thing I didn't like was.

As soon as you enter the abandon factory with Pascal, the game is basically over. I did not come prepared for that and basically ended up having to beat the last 2 goliath machines plus all of Eve with no chips, recovery items and playing on hard. I was level 31 and basically everything was killing me in one hit. I refused to give in though and switch the difficulty. It was really frustrating, but it says a lot about the game that I kept at it and continued.

Also I spent so long on the abandoned factory boss that I can't get "BECOME A GOD" out of my head.

Yeah, there's a huge amount of information as well as gameplay in the sidequests, they add a lot, particularly in terms of tying the game in with the original Nier and setting up major story beats.

The main thing is that with fast travel and the general slickness of character movement, there are very few quests that I'd consider to be overly time-consuming to do.

It's soooo good.

Still early due to all these games and lack of time but they're really nailing the story, characters and artstyle, combat, stunning music, and dub already.
What an amazing run of games we're in.

Spinky

I was doing some delicate jumping at one point and 9S knocked me off the edge! So when I was fishing and he fell into some deep water, I felt a sense of satisfaction.

Honestly, the companion AI is a bit... weird at times. During some of the later (sidequest spoilers?)
Father Servo
fights, 2B's AI just shat itself completely and she would run against him doing nothing, before getting knocked over and running at the wall. Those fights are hard (or rather, long-winded) enough without your partner deciding to peace out and do some cardio.

I spent like ten minutes trying to get a good shot up here while he kept falling off and jumping back on, and repeating that process indefinitely until I moved away.

I'm now left with multiple shots featuring him flailing around like an idiot in the background.

He also keeps screwing up my sick cinematic finishing move thingies. Keep having to put him into passive mode. I'm starting to enjoy hating him.

Just started it and got past the intro. Ballsy to lock saving until after it haha. I played the demo so I was expecting what was coming. Found it a bit tougher than the demo but no deaths. I'm not very good at Platinum games though, hopefully this is the one to hook me in to it and get me good.

The settings bit was really cute. I was thinking beforehand that I didn't really need to know the back story but now I'm really interested in it.

So guys, i just finished route A, how similar is route B compared to the first one? Am i gonna replay a lot of the same content? I kinda want to continue playing it, but not if i'm gonna replay the same missions over and over...

°°ToMmY°°;232278424 said:
So guys, i just finished route A, how similar is route B compared to the first one? Am i gonna replay a lot of the same content? I kinda want to continue playing it, but not if i'm gonna replay the same missions over and over...
Keep going. You won't regret it.

JustinBB7

After beating the tutorial (again) I haven't died since and it's actually easy. Just had to figure out all the controls since they explain jack shit.

How do you change outfits, couldn't find it anywhere. I just
got my own room at the hub.
if it's a story thing. But it shouldn't be right?

3 hours in and this screams goty and goat already

I've heard that the third play through is right up there with the best games. I guess some story elements change or open up. I love replayability like that

Caim

After beating the tutorial (again) I haven't died since and it's actually easy. Just had to figure out all the controls since they explain jack shit.

How do you change outfits, couldn't find it anywhere. I just
got my own room at the hub.
if it's a story thing. But it shouldn't be right?

Go to your key items.

ToKre

i thought seeing the old video of the
Opera Singer
would make me ready for that glorious fight HOLY SHIT

i died 4 times and had no healing items after my first death , that fight was a "roller coaster" .

Gigaryu

Neo Member
Ending spoilers:
Did the 3 of them actually get to live? Also i didnt sacrifice my save (yet) because i assume thats no joke, right? Beautiful gesture from those who did though, thanks strangers!

Did you get the
weapon chest
in the
flooded coast
? I don't know how it's possible to get that without working that technique into the jumps.

It's possible without the forward fling. First make sure that you reach max sprint speed. Then jump off and do an air dash followed by a double jump. Then hold on to your pod and do the upward spin kick. Finish by doing a three part light attack combo with a small sword which should move you forward just far enough to grab onto the ledge.
At least I'm pretty sure that is how I did it (I didn't know about the pod forward fling move).

LotusHD

Banned
Ending spoilers:
Did the 3 of them actually get to live? Also i didnt sacrifice my save (yet) because i assume thats no joke, right? Beautiful gesture from those who did though, thanks strangers!

Yes they did. And no, it was not a joke.

My legit expression after finishing the first non-prologue boss:

dVJNUJlVS6yeyEYhtJIL_Confused%20Mark%20Wahlberg.gif

thiscannotcontinuethiscannotcontinuethiscannotcontinuethiscannotcontinue

My legit expression after finishing the second boss:

latest

Taro normally holds some of the crazy for the end, but nope, we're going all out from the beginning, folks! I'm loving it, though a little traumatized, and getting super paranoid at anything that hints at Drakengard or Nier. It's impressive that Automata has two of the most memorable boss fights I've experienced in years, one after the other. They were both certainly very, er, unexpected. Some of my other favorites it recent years have been the Bayonetta 2/Bloodborne boss battles, but they did start to blur together a bit in retrospect, due to the areas/art direction. Automata's bosses thus far have been very distinct from each, in both design, areas, and the content of the boss fights themselves. I hope the rest of the bosses keep it up! It's so wonderful to see evolution on some of the style ideas from Nier, just now feeling a lot more enjoyable and playable thanks to that Platinum polish - also a minutely bigger budget!

I'm a bit stumped what to do, because Normal is pretty straightforward, and that's still with me avoiding plug-in chips and summoning allies. On the other hand, the only time I've died thus far was when I put the difficulty on Hard, and I was a bit shocked to die from one hit to admittedly a mini-boss when I was at 90% health. (It was a long trek back, too, ow.) Er, I guess the solution is to use plug-in chips/allies on Hard. My awe and commendations for those braving Very Hard. HOW. I was hoping 'Hard' would be an genuine satisfying in-between for 'Normal' and 'Very Hard', as opposed to Hard equalling 'Very Hard', and Very Hard equalling 'Taro and Taura want your lick your tears as they consume your soul'. Ah, well, will do some experimenting.

Genius at the start of route B where you have to watch the recording of you picking the settings. Very clever.

Someone earlier in the thread mentioned that they were doing something else while it was on the setting screen so the recording just went on and on with nothing happening

d00d3n

Wait, what just happened? I played the game for 40 minutes, died on a boss because of some random shit, and the game resets my progress back to the very beginning? That is kind of fucked.

LotusHD

Banned
Wait, what just happened? I played the game for 40 minutes, died on a boss because of some random shit, and the game resets my progress back to the very beginning? That is kind of fucked.

Play on Normal/Easy if you aren't already to get through it quickly. Enjoy.

Top Bottom