• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NieR: Automata |OT| "I wouldn't expect too much from this game if I were you."

Razmos

Wait, what just happened? I played the game for 40 minutes, died on a boss because of some random shit, and the game resets my progress back to the very beginning? That is kind of fucked.
Did you not read the prompt as you started the game saying that there is no autosave?

XJvHX3ch.jpg

It's... incredible. But I'm going to call it a day. Finished 2 bosses, did a handful of sidemissions, and within a five hour timeframe, I'd say that's good enough. Gotta measure my playtime nowadays, haha.

I am absolutely in love with this game. It just does so much right. The PC launch might've been a bit messy, but it cannot ruin the game for me. It's just that good.

Jb

I'm a bit stumped what to do, because Normal is pretty straightforward, and that's still with me avoiding plug-in chips and summoning allies. On the other hand, the only time I've died thus far was when I put the difficulty on Hard, and I was a bit shocked to die from one hit to admittedly a mini-boss when I was at 90% health. (It was a long trek back, too, ow.) Er, I guess the solution is to use plug-in chips/allies on Hard. My awe and commendations for those braving Very Hard. HOW. I was hoping 'Hard' would be an genuine satisfying in-between for 'Normal' and 'Very Hard', as opposed to Hard equalling 'Very Hard', and Very Hard equalling 'Taro and Taura want your lick your tears as they consume your soul'. Ah, well, will do some experimenting.

Difficulty is a bit weird in this game. Didn't die once on my first playthrough but there's some parts later on that look nightmarish on hard. I figured I'd rather enjoy the story content than rage every 5 minutes. I'm saving that for my 2nd run :D

GeoMantle

Neo Member
Hey quick question:

Can I just blast through the story/three playthroughs and do any sub quests I missed through chapter select?

Difficulty is a bit weird in this game. Didn't die once on my first playthrough but there's some parts later on that look nightmarish on hard. I figured I'd rather enjoy the story content than rage every 5 minutes. I'm saving that for my 2nd run :D

That sounds very sensible! I think I might follow suit. I was thinking that I'm not great at utilizing the poor Pod effectively either, which I should probably get a bit better at before attempting Hard. Poor Pod.

Arkeband

Banned
Started Route C and omg the intro

Had to put the PS4 in rest mode and go to Beauty and the Beast with my wife. Dying to see how this finishes.

Is there a new thread for this interview?

The man sounds depressed.I wish i could give him a hug.

Huh, this is pretty candid. He doesn't seem depressed so much as that he's actually been reading the philosophers he references in the game.Humanity is hypocritical and fucked up, and people DO become set in their ways. I like the sense of consequence in these games. Homicidal maniac Nathan Drake is supposed to feel like a rugged cool guy fantasy, but playing as 9S, and not actually even hurting other humans feels hopeless, guilt ridden, and desperate. Even if he feels like he's getting "stale" or something, we need people like Taro making games.

Hey quick question:

Can I just blast through the story/three playthroughs and do any sub quests I missed through chapter select?

Yes. Just made the choice at the end that allows you to do that.

AlanOC91

Quick question folks.

Is this like one giant map open world type of deal?

I'm at the resistance camp at the start and getting that vibe.

I for seem reason assumed it was mission based (you receive one mission and land on one particular area type of deal). I did pretty much know nothing about this going into it.

Quick question folks.

Is this like one giant map open world type of deal?

I'm at the resistance camp at the start and getting that vibe.

I for seem reason assumed it was mission based (you receive one mission and land on one particular area type of deal). I did pretty much know nothing about this going into it.

It's more like Ocarina of Time than Breath of the Wild. It's not huge, it has one bigger open area that leads out into smaller linear zones

TissueBox

I can't stop listening to
Dependent Weakling

HA YES thank you!! Soo good...soo anguished..!! ;_; One of my fav tracks of the game. xP

Is there a new thread for this interview?

The man sounds depressed.I wish i could give him a hug.

I think it's more that he's a morbid and technically cynical person who's able to channel that into a sort of cathartic humor and raw emotion both in his art and approach to things, as he doen't seem to perceive this in pure bitterness, but as something to deal with. This to me is why I love the man, as it's a worldview you will struggle to see realized in games from paper to practice as much as other media. Also for me, once you don't mind being that low, then everything's kind of beautiful in its own way, even the ugly stuff!! This is what allows for both love and the grotesque and depressing and the unconventional to come to the surface of his games in striking ways, through his 'foolish' and impassioned characters, the twisting, hopeless storylines, etc. But that's another essay for another day. I will say that it's effective to think that through his art and work he was able to find contentment in his position, if even a little, because it was given a focus and if that's as close to true happiness as you could get, why not take it.

Also thanks for this link 'cause I haven't seen it and it's pretty good so far..!! xP GLIXEL, you are on a roll!!

Body_Hammer

Neo Member
Ending E spoilers:

I'm going around to a friends house tomorrow and he's going to be doing endings C D and E for the first time and I'm really looking forward to his reactions. He doesn't have PS Plus so do you need to have it to get the other players saves to help you?

DukeBobby

Finished route A.

It took me quite a while to get into it, but it definitely started to grow on me towards the end. I'm excited to see where the game goes next.

OniBaka

Ending E spoilers:

I'm going around to a friends house tomorrow and he's going to be doing endings C D and E for the first time and I'm really looking forward to his reactions. He doesn't have PS Plus so do you need to have it to get the other players saves to help you?
Don't think so

Ubernube

Ending E spoilers:

You do not. I did not have PS Plus when I got to Ending E and it worked just fine, as does apparently every other network feature in the game.

Just Finished route A. I have sooooo many questions! I am about ready to jump into B, but wasn't sure about what things (if any) carry over between playthroughs. Also, some side quests I swear would not let me progress (Like Jen Paul or whomever's fan in the dessert or the photograph quest in the dessert) during route A. Is this normal and I can just do it on my second or third playthrough or am I just a big dummy?

ZangBa

It feels like everyone that I've seen play this game has never played a twin stick shooter. How do all these people not realize you can aim with the right stick??? HOW???

OniBaka

It feels like everyone that I've seen play this game has never played a twin stick shooter. How do all these people not realize you can aim with the right stick??? HOW???
Have to admit I was the same at the start but that's because you're not using the second stick to aim in the jet mode so when it transitions to fighter jet mode it didn't click to use the second stick to aim.

Just Finished route A. I have sooooo many questions! I am about ready to jump into B, but wasn't sure about what things (if any) carry over between playthroughs. Also, some side quests I swear would not let me progress (Like Jen Paul or whomever's fan in the dessert or the photograph quest in the dessert) during route A. Is this normal and I can just do it on my second or third playthrough or am I just a big dummy?

If a side quest is doable in both A and B and you start it in A, it'll reset in B if you didn't complete it in A. Also, some side quests, even if you get the reward, have an epilogue you need to do for them to actually count as completed. I got the reward twice for a few quests because of this.

Also nothing is missable in the game, so don't worry

If a side quest is doable in both A and B, it'll reset in B if you didn't complete it in A. Also, some side quests, even if you get the reward, have an epilogue you need to do for them to actually count as completed. I got the reward twice for a few quests because of this.

Also nothing is missable in the game, so don't worry

Cheers^^

naw

took me 4 hours to beat the tutorial on hard (i've never played this game before)

aye fuck these devs man... but at the same time, that shit was tight lmao

TheFlow

Banned
For those playing on hard mode just know there are no difficulty achievements. So if you like dying a lot on the prologue kudos to you.

sublimit

Banned
Huh, this is pretty candid. He doesn't seem depressed so much as that he's actually been reading the philosophers he references in the game.Humanity is hypocritical and fucked up, and people DO become set in their ways. I like the sense of consequence in these games. Homicidal maniac Nathan Drake is supposed to feel like a rugged cool guy fantasy, but playing as 9S, and not actually even hurting other humans feels hopeless, guilt ridden, and desperate. Even if he feels like he's getting "stale" or something, we need people like Taro making games.

Umm when i said he sounds depressed i was talking about this:
When I was young, I had one wish from the bottom of my heart: "I wish all the useless and controlling elders of the gaming industry would die so I can create a game that I like!" Now that I have fulfilled my dream to "create a game that I like," there's not much left for me to do. However, because I don't have much else to do now, I am clinging onto my job as a game director. In a way, I'm just living out of habit now. And now, I have become that troublesome elder that I hated when I was young. Like a demon king in an RPG, I feel like I'm clinging to my castle of authority all alone and waiting for a new hero to come slay me.
Maybe "depressed" was a bit too harsh but he sounds like he lost his motivation.I haven't started Automata yet but i loved the first Nier so i also hope he continues to make games.

EdmondD

I have been purposefully savoring this game. I have been exploring everything and just soaking in the atmosphere. I did a ton of side quests before I even got that far into the game. I just love everything about it. I like the combat so much that nothing ever feels like a grind. When I hear a song I really like I slowly walk around and give it the appreciation it deserves. The game is ugly as sin sometimes but it just works. It's greater than the sum of its parts.

Finally beat ending A after like 26 hours.
Here are some thoughts. The game sets the tone early with the Adam boss fight. The robots imitating humans and humping each other was really unsettling. The machines are much more complex than anyone knew. Even contemplating such things as sin and suicide. They form families and seem to understand the notion of love. The androids are even more "human" despite "emotions being prohibited" The aliens are assholes that just want to conquer and the machines merely their slaves. Adam and Eve misinterpret humans as being only about violence and killing. Given our history it's no wonder they came to this conclusion.

As you get further in the game things start getting crazier. Devola and Popola show up and you know shit is about to go down. The machines are eating people now. What the fuck? Eve goes apeshit over his dead brother and needs to be put down. Once again Nines puts himself in danger to protect 2B. Being corrupted by hacking Eve, Nines needs to be killed. 2B dry humps him and then strangles him. I almost had tears the song was so beautiful they played during that scene. Thankfully that Nines is pretty damn resourceful and always finds a way to survive.
I know I'm only scratching the surface. Onto route B. I will discuss some sidequest later because there are some really good stories there.

One question for one of the sidequests.
I know the Lunar Tear is from Nier but is that also the flower that is in Zero's eye in Drakegard 3?

Umm when i said he sounds depressed i was talking about this:

Maybe "depressed" was a bit too harsh but he sounds like he lost his motivation.I haven't started Automata yet but i loved the first Nier so i also hope he continues to make games.
I'm a pretty depressing person sometimes, so maybe I just found that kind of matter of fact, when it's actually a little sad lol. But yes, there's a certain sense of self depreciation and purposelessness there

Markoman

Woah, this game is a 10/10. I think I've spend 3 hours now with route B's speciality. Boy, I was like a child when I found that you could do this in this game ;D
Never saw this coming...

Freddo

Got the final ending, and think I'm done with the game for now.

While it was overall a pleasant experience, I'm still disappointed cause I enjoyed the story, characters and locations in the first NieR so much more. And that sucks, cause thanks to the Black Box Edition this is the most expensive game I ever bought, didn't want any disappointment at all :p

The big highlight for me was simply the hacking, I love how the music changes so seamlessly, it's really well done.

Top Bottom