• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NieR: Automata |OT| "I wouldn't expect too much from this game if I were you."

lmimmfn

whats the story with the saves( PC btw )? played for 40 minutes, taking it easy, died, no save, well can load a save but it places you right back at "Start game"

Are there save games points or are they just borked on pc?

HeelPower

A moment of pure brilliances when you realize
you can go back to the start of the game,find your dead and sword

I kept expecting a wacky game but I found a game that has extremely consistent internal logic.

Are all yoko taro games like this ?

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
whats the story with the saves( PC btw )? played for 40 minutes, taking it easy, died, no save, well can load a save but it places you right back at "Start game"

you cant save until after the intro (I struggle to call it a tutorial since it doesnt do much tutorializing). The game will tell you when you can save (like its doing you a favor which I thought was funny :3)

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony

You have to beat the prologue. The saving system ties in with the game lore, and in general YT is just partial to old school manual saving systems in RPGs

Markoman

Thanks, that sounds good! I like that chip concept and hearing that there's a witch time equivalent is great.

Yeah, I definitely don't need DMC4-type depth in every action game, and having light Platinum combat mixed with a great RPG is something I've wanted for a long time.

Don't get the wrong impression here. The game's mechanics truely shine on hard mode, I guess (I'm playing on normal right now for relaxed enjoyment). This is not a watered down version of Bayonetta/DMC at all, it's something completely different. Keep in mind that the combat is designed to work in every thinkable perspective, with more active enemies and projectiles on screen than every character action game - and all of this in turbo mode. Nier Automata is the character action game equivalent to games like Resogun. Combat is like a rush with a very sandbox-like approach.
For example I have equiped faster movement speed + longer evade + rotating blades, so I go through enemies like a hot knife through butter. And oh, mad respect to the Devs for letting us use custom controls. This is not a simple case of QoL- It will impact the way you play. I have completely ditched the lock-on in my control setup, I switch between pods using L3 and R3, L2 for weapon switching, L1 fire, R2 pod, R1 evade now.

I kept expecting a wacky game but I found a game that has extremely consistent internal logic.

More or less. They're bizarre, sometimes wacky games, but there is an immense amount of thought and care put into them, down to even the seemingly insignificant details.

magnetic

Is there any other point to self destruction via pressing both sticks other than to blow off your skirt and reveal that leotard bubble butt? (I'm not judging btw)

Don't get the wrong impression here. The game's mechanics truely shine on hard mode, I guess (I'm playing on normal right now for relaxed enjoyment). This is not a watered down version of Bayonetta/DMC at all, it's something completely different. Keep in mind that the combat is designed to work in every thinkable perspective, with more active enemies and projectiles on screen than every character action game - and all of this in turbo mode. Nier Automata is the character action game equivalent to games like Resogun. Combat is like a rush with a very sandbox-like approach.
For example I have equiped faster movement speed + longer evade + rotating blades, so I go through enemies like a hot knife through butter. And oh, mad respect to the Devs for letting us use custom controls. This is not a simple case of QoL- It will impact the way you play. I have completely ditched the lock-on in my control setup, I switch between pods using L3 and R3, L2 for weapon switching, L1 fire, R2 pod, R1 evade now.

That sounds sweet! Sounds like it has a lot of room for experimentation, which I always love.

So uh, out of curiosity...

Will
removing the OS chip
make me restart the game from the beginning like Ending
W
, or will I be able to reload my save with it's associated ending labelled as completed?

Jotakori

So uh, out of curiosity...

Will
removing the OS chip
make me restart the game from the beginning like Ending
W
, or will I be able to reload my save with it's associated ending labelled as completed?

If it is an ending (I haven't tried it myself), it'll reload from your previous save.

Grady

Woooow, I just spent like 40 minutes on first mission taking my Time and died at the boss just to restart from the beginning...Lol.

EdmondD

That was one of the first things I did. So cool. I was a little disappointed though because I thought they would make some comment on it.

Never thought that Okabe can pull such a masterpiece soundtrack again. NieR was GOAT material and this here nothing else. Incredible music.

That was one of the first things I did. So cool. I was a little disappointed though because I thought they would make some comment on it.

There was an email telling you that
you can get back picking up your sword.

Alastor3

Is there missable in the game? Like in the first one where if you didn't completed some of the side quest, you couldn't do them in the part 2 of the game ?

Is there missable in the game? Like in the first one where if you didn't completed some of the side quest, you couldn't do them in the part 2 of the game ?

There is only one truly missable piece of content in the game. There's a joke ending if you (extremely vague non-specific spoiler)
lose to the game's optional superboss in a certain way.

EdmondD

Never thought that Okabe can pull such a masterpiece soundtrack again. NieR was GOAT material and this here nothing else. Incredible music.

There was an email telling you that you can get back picking up your sword.

What I mean is that I thought
2B would say something like, "This is where we died." Maybe she didn't want to say anything because Nines didn't remember and she didn't want to bring it up around him?

dlauv

Man that first level was fucking boring.

I liked the shmup parts the most.

I don't know why it goes top down for some beat em up sequences.

kiaaa

Man that first level was fucking boring.

I liked the shmup parts the most.

I don't know why it goes top down for some beat em up sequences.

I'm the opposite. I usually find the shmup parts boring or too easy with the tools you're given.

Ruff

(first two hours spoiler) I accidently hit
pascal while talking to him and killed him.... I can't go back a save either. Did i fuck myself?

Anung

Un Rama
Goddamn the music is a goddamn masterpiece. How did Okabe pull this off twice?

Ending A down :D obviously I'm just getting started.

erawsd

Got the game on PC, haven't played NieR before. Got it based on how much I love Platinum's other games.

What's this bullshit about the intro though? Did the dumb little bullet hell segment, got to the actual melee combat portion, game told me to heavy attack with Y, and every time I attacked, I was damaged. Game wasn't giving me any other feedback. I have no idea why I was being damaged. Then I died, got taken back to the main menu, and now I have to do the whole bullet hell segment again?

What?

Heh, yea I just had a similar experience. First time I died I figured I must've missed the save point or something. Second time I got pretty far, died and had to google wtf was going on and found out theres no saving at all and a bunch of people recommending just playing the intro on easy, which I'd prefer not to do.

Xliskin

Route B
the mission that 2B and Pascal go into the factory I remember there was a chest locked can not be opened unless you hack it where is it ??

Samikaze

(first two hours spoiler) I accidently hit
pascal while talking to him and killed him.... I can't go back a save either. Did i fuck myself?

8070992.jpg

Kaizer

Banned
So I'm on Route A & doing "The Wandering Couple" Sidequest.....
how do I reach them once they leave the Machine Village?

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
What are you guys doing with the corpses you come across? I mainly pray and recover. Seldom do I repair.

Jiraiza

There's always this weird tension every time I play the prologue on Hard. Must be fear. Performance is absolute ass on my PC with a GTX 970 and a i7-5820K, that being said.

Jotakori

I usually recover, but lately I'm wondering if I'm stealing dead player's stuff, and so I've been repairing.

I've heard praying for them -- if they are playing when you pray -- will recover their HP and possibly give them an item/buff? I didn't die enough to experience it myself, though. But that leads me to believe it probably wouldn't hurt or take things from other players with either choice you make. It's probably just an extra in line with
the overall theme of the game that helping each other will help you succeed.

Top Bottom