• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NieR: Automata |OT| "I wouldn't expect too much from this game if I were you."

Hybris

Is hard mode supposed to be this punishing or am I underleveled? I just got to the
A2 boss fight
and it's just one shots left and right. I'm level 23.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Is hard mode supposed to be this punishing or am I underleveled? I just got to the
A2 boss fight
and it's just one shots left and right. I'm level 23.

probably underleveled or your chips are not stacked properly

Kalnos

Banned
I'm super LTTP but the way everyone is pronouncing 'automata' really bothers me. I don't know if they pronounce it in-game yet but thank god for dual audio on this one.

LotusHD

Banned
I'm super LTTP but the way everyone is pronouncing 'automata' really bothers me. I don't know if they pronounce it in-game yet but thank god for dual audio on this one.

I didn't learn how to pronounce it correctly until like 2 weeks ago lol, so ashamed of myself

They never say it in-game though

Frimaire

Okay, so I'm only a few hours into this game and I have a question.
I know that there are multiple endings, and you kind of "go back" to get later endings, but do I lose my progress after getting each ending?
Am I wasting time doing a bunch of side stuff before getting the first ending, or will that carry over?

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
I know that there are multiple endings, and you kind of "go back" to get later endings, but do I lose my progress after getting each ending?
Am I wasting time doing a bunch of side stuff before getting the first ending, or will that carry over?

no. you dont lose progress. and youre not wasting time.

Milijango

I haven't really noticed enemy HP increase on hard mode, so that's nice. Once you've been turned into a glass cannon the combat starts feeling really good.

Also fuck, Route C.

laaame

All side quests that are started but not completed will not carry over. And for the first run there are 4 side quests exclusive to 2B that can't be done after the first ending. Completed quest progress will carry over to the next.

Near where the dojo master side quest is there is a locked chest on top of the roof on the opposite building. How the fuck do I get up there?

Plz help this is really bothering me

DKL

Man, maybe it's because I'm rushing, but I can't launch things anymore at my current level ;_;

Come on man lol

(rushing a normal playthrough so I can just focus on a hard playthrough later)

EDIT:

Also, playing more, there seems to be an intentional slowdown when you do the pod charge?

I can't say for sure since I wasn't looking at an FPS counter or something, but this doesn't seem like dropped frames now that I'm on something that runs the game better.

Jotakori

Near where the dojo master side quest is there is a locked chest on top of the roof on the opposite building. How the fuck do I get up there?

Oh gosh, I don't have the video I was linked showing how to do it on hand, but I had the same problem. I'll try my best to explain what to do! -- Route B spoilers (as you can only get it then)
You have to use the worm machine flying around nearby, and hack it as 9S when it's not noticing you. You'll then get the option to control it, and you can use jump on the machine to fly across the way to the treasure chest. If you haven't controlled a machine yet, you can use the l3/r3 explode ability to return to being 9S.

Sevyne

If you don't want to get crazy technical with combos and weapons swapping in the air there is a simple way to get some aerial distance. If you hit the jump and fire buttons at the same time you do a pod grab and get a forward boost (kind of a forward flip thing). What I'll do to cover big gaps is get a running start, get a double jump off a building, tap fire+jump for the pod boost, then air dash followed by a glide hanging from my pod. If that's not enough, you can attack while gliding to do a little spin to give yourself a slight bit more hang time​.

Baalzebup

You need to make full use of your air time extension possibilities. Air dashes, double jumps, hover via grabbing the pod, the kick you can do while hovering, the 'fling-forward' manouver (fire+jump at the same time).
I'm a little hesitant to use my good chips on this fight because I can't always reliably grab my corpse in time.
You realize that you can just save/load your way out of losing the chips, right? As the game itself points out, there is no auto-save. What you save is what you get.
Also, playing more, there seems to be an intentional slowdown when you do the pod charge?

I can't say for sure since I wasn't looking at an FPS counter or something, but this doesn't seem like dropped frames now that I'm on something that runs the game better.
Charging some Pod abilities does involve an intentional "bullet time" slowdown for your benefit, yes.

Milijango

Man, maybe it's because I'm rushing, but I can't launch things anymore at my current level ;_;

Come on man lol

(rushing a normal playthrough so I can just focus on a hard playthrough later)

EDIT:

Yeah, the game is supposed to slow down when you use your pod program.

Alright, I had to go to work and *sigh* hang out with a girl and maybe kiss her on her face hole but finally I'm able to play some Nier: Automata. Good thing I was DLing it while I was out.

Let's get started!

If you don't want to get crazy technical with combos and weapons swapping in the air there is a simple way to get some aerial distance. If you hit the jump and fire buttons at the same time you do a pod grab and get a forward boost (kind of a forward flip thing). What I'll do to cover big gaps is get a running start, get a double jump off a building, tap fire+jump for the pod boost, then air dash followed by a glide hanging from my pod. If that's not enough, you can attack while gliding to do a little spin to give yourself a slight bit more hang time​.

I had no idea about the fire and jump kick

Ferrio

Banned
Just started playing on PC, question about the counter mod. You do it by pressing the direction + a follow up right? The end result doesn't seem that much different than just dodging, or is there something I'm missing.

Baalzebup

Just started playing on PC, question about the counter mod. You do it by pressing the direction + a follow up right? The end result doesn't seem that much different than just dodging, or is there something I'm missing.
No, the counter is just the "press the right direction at the right moment" part. The attack is nulled and the attacker takes damage based on the level of the mod you're using.

IbukiLordSA

A2's taunt is pure addiction, only have a +3 taunt chip but that already does 280% more damage after taunting

sKS9JOr.gif

bbd23

my god this soundtrack

not the best port on PC but man this game is awesome so far. can't wait to do some side questing tomorrow

Exentryk

Man, the world building is so good! Loved the
Bunker
aesthetic and talking to everyone felt just like the good old days of JRPGs. The music is sublime, and I have been getting Xenogears vibes from it.

Still at the
resistance camp
, and just busy fishing to make enough money for upgrading chips and expanding memory. Really enjoying it so far!

Sarcasm

Where do I get my cardboard skin?

I also bought some fish hud thing, found it in menu but have no idea if it is actually equipped.

Moonkid

So uh, I don't know if I'm just late to the party but I found at the edge of the desert:

A bunch of Emil-heads in various sizes, from tiny to as massive as a building. I wonder if there'll come into relevance later or it's just an odd landmark.
Was a pretty surreal moment.

Moaradin

Wow. I played 70 hours and got all the main endings and I'm just now figuring out that you can charge your Pod specials. I always thought charging it just holds it, but doesn't actually boost it in any way. Apparently charging the Hammer gives me 3 hammers at a time o_O

DKL

Wow. I played 70 hours and got all the main endings and I'm just now figuring out that you can charge your Pod specials. I always thought charging it just holds it, but doesn't actually boost it in any way. Apparently charging the Hammer gives me 3 hammers at a time o_O

The hit box on mirage is HUGE.

Son of a bitch. I bet this makes a lot of the programs actually useful.

I'm hoping for costume DLC. I want Zero's garb + wig.

The three playable characters would also fit well into Nier, human Emil, and Kaine costumes.

I just looked up some gameplay on Youtube, and pretty much everybody
kills the harmless robot friends parading around the start of the Amusement Park. Am I the only one who let them be? ]': Honestly, seeing them get killed as they talk about being happy breaks my heart.

I didn't have it in me to attack anything that didn't attack first.

Top Bottom