• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NieR: Automata |OT| "I wouldn't expect too much from this game if I were you."

Jb

Just completed the
carnival
and so far I'm finding the game extremely easy on normal. Haven't died yet and have used about 6-7 healing items so far in the game.

Should I bump it up to hard or will it get more difficult on normal?

Give hard a shot. Some bosses will probably give you a hard time but since you can change the difficulty whenevs it's not a big deal.

Give hard a shot. Some bosses will probably give you a hard time but since you can change the difficulty whenevs it's not a big deal.

This is the most underrated feature of any game. I love games that let you change difficulty whenever you feel like it.

Feels good to finally join this thread, I'm a huge fan of the first game.
Loving Automata so far, shame the PC version doesn't run as well as it should.
Anyway, that first segment must've left a lot of people wondering if they booted the wrong game lol.
Music seems to be on par with the first game and the acting is excellent.
Can't wait to play more.

Moaradin

Can't believe I missed
Emil's home on my first run of the game. Finding a lot of new things playing on PC it turns out. I always assumed it was just the place with all the Lunar Tears since he did say it was underground, so I never really looked after that.

Fighting through those enemies at level 30 was pretty fun lol. Did not want to die since I was not confident I'd be able to get my chips back. Didn't even try the boss since I imagine I'll get wrecked but I got the shortcuts at least.

convo

Just completed the
carnival
and so far I'm finding the game extremely easy on normal. Haven't died yet and have used about 6-7 healing items so far in the game.

Should I bump it up to hard or will it get more difficult on normal?

As you progress normal fucks you up even with you are around level 50. It differs person to person but normal in this game would probably be a harder mode for other games.
There is no penalty in changing between difficulty modes nor trophies for harder modes.

Skyr

So i finally tried the PS4 Demo yesterday to see what the fuss is about.

And I'm absolutely loving it!

What voiceovers would you recommend?
English or original japanese?

Also I could play this on PC (I7 4790k / GTX1070)
PC or PS4 slim at this point?

Exentryk

English voiceovers and PC.

Cramoss

With your specs, definitely PC.

JJShadow

I'm really digging the sidequests in this game, spent 4 hours this morning just in doing that bunch you get after completing the
amusement park
. Every one of them has an interesting story behind, and even the NPC are extremely likeable (this Jean-Paul is truly a character)

My only worry is becoming overleveled lol I'm level 17 at the moment and I'm right after you
find the peaceful machine town

jacobeid

Banned
I'm really digging the sidequests in this game, spent 4 hours this morning just in doing that bunch you get after completing the
amusement park
. Every one of them has an interesting story behind, and even the NPC are extremely likeable (this Jean-Paul is truly a character)

My only worry is becoming overleveled lol I'm level 17 at the moment and I'm right after you

Wait.....is the NPC's last name Sartre? *Mind working furiously*

This game is going to get pretty meta on me, isn't it?

convo

amusement park

Don't worry about being overleveled, you can jump down a ravine and get destroyed by folks level 30 and up. Doing sidequest and stuff are right on the progression plan so unless you are grinding out enemies for hours you shouldn't get too strong for story bosses.

Markoman

Wait.....is the NPC's last name Sartre? *Mind working furiously*

This game is going to get pretty meta on me, isn't it?

Yup, game is as philosophical as you can get with lots of references like this one.
One of the enemies is called
Engels
for example.
Just think of the whole premise of the game and it's already a mind-fuck.

This is my first Taro game (shame on me), but I can already tell he's up there with Kojima
when it comes to the level of brain twisting.

sn00zer

Started playing Nier 1 last night and my interest in Automata shot up. All I was thinking playing it was, damn if they fix the combat and graphics this game could be amazing)

jacobeid

Banned
Yup, game is as philosophical as you can get with lots of references like this one.
One of the enemies is called
Engels
for example.
Just think of the whole premise of the game and it's already a mind-fuck.

This is my first Taro game (shame on me), but I can already tell he's up there with Kojima
when it comes to the level of brain twisting.

I was already sold on this game but this is so great to hear (this will also be my first Taro game). Man. I'm so excited haha.

Got to the resistance camp and they put such a tease there! You can see
Devola and Popola in the background but can't interact with them.

KLoWn

Alright, I'm about to start playing, but I want to know what voice acting to go for. I've heard the english VA is kinda meh, and I generally prefer jap over a mediocre dub, but I really don't like having to read subtitles in the middle of battles etc.

So is there a consensus on this? Is one clearly superior over the other in this game?

Thanks.

KHlover

Banned
Whew, I beat the Robot Sensei guy in his Lv. 40 form at Lv. 15. That fight was already long as hell, wonder how long it'll be in his next form o_O

N° 2048

Alright, I'm about to start playing, but I want to know what voice acting to go for. I've heard the english VA is kinda meh, and I generally prefer jap over a mediocre dub, but I really don't like having to read subtitles in the middle of battles etc.

So is there a consensus on this? Is one clearly superior over the other in this game?

Thanks.

From where?

This is one of the best ENG dubs I've heard...

cm osi

Whew, I beat the Robot Sensei guy in his Lv. 40 form at Lv. 15. That fight was already long as hell, wonder how long it'll be in his next form o_O

i think that is a quest that carry over on other routes so you don't have to rush to do that, you should be able to come back later

Markoman

I was already sold on this game but this is so great to hear (this will also be my first Taro game). Man. I'm so excited haha.

Enjoy. Just to throw you another bone...On route A you basically re-experience the whole evolution of human mental+social concepts with a clear reference to what is happening in today's world. I assume that Taro just like Kojima is a big fan of Dawkins' meme theory.

Trickster

So I'm doing the sidequest called
Yorha Betrayers
, and when fighting the
Yorha units, you can get them into a prone position where you can press a button and 2B unleashes a cinematic special move. The thing about it is, that while 2B does the animation, the Yorha units isn't there, so it looks as if 2B does the special move on litterally empty air.

I'm playing on PC, wondering if anyone else, on either platform, who've done this quest have had the same thing happen?

Jb

Thanks.

The English dub seems perfectly fine and there are a couple of boss battles where characters are talking while you're fighting.
The script is still very anime though (for lack of a better term) and a character screaming YAMEROOOO feels more natural to me than one yelling STOP IT, but that's just personal preferences.

Ultimately go with whichever you think you'll prefer and change midway through if you don't like it.

KLoWn

The English dub seems perfectly fine and there are a couple of boss battles where characters are talking while you're fighting.
The script is still very anime though (for lack of a better term) and a character screaming YAMEROOOO feels more natural to me than one yelling STOP IT, but that's just personal preferences.

Ultimately go with whichever you think you'll prefer and change midway through if you don't like it.
Yeah I think I'll start with the english dub and hope that it's as good as some say.

How would I do that? Is that unlocked with story progress? I'm like 5 hours into the game and
have just gotten to the point where an alien transmission was intercepted and I'm supposed to investigate that.

Does the game ever explain hacking? I'm only on Route A and so far the only hacking that's happened was during one "moment" at the amusement park.

Oh sorry, you cant do it until route B.

Markoman

what even is this game. I wasn't going to get it but just impulse bought it last night on PC. this is ridiculous, in the best way.

Congrats on the best impulse buy of your life ;P

How would I do that? Is that unlocked with story progress? I'm like 5 hours into the game and
have just gotten to the point where an alien transmission was intercepted and I'm supposed to investigate that.

Shhhh...stop asking questions like this if you want to avoid spoilers. This thread already has enough of them. Just go on, you can't miss it. Sensei will also appear in Route B so don't bother with him.

Congrats on the best impulse buy of your life ;P

Shhhh...stop asking questions like this if you want to avoid spoilers. This thread already has enough of them. Just go on, you can't miss it. Sensei will also appear in Route B so don't bother with him.
I wasn't really interested and never played the first Nier so I was like it's fine if I go into this blind. Played the first two hours last night and then spent even longer watching videos on youtube about Drakengard and Nier lol

I mean, it is a Yoko Taro game made by Platinum. In many ways, that is the best possible combination basis for creating a game one could think of.
Never played a Yoko Taro game before and I'm generally pretty bad at Platinum games lol.

Corpekata

Banned
Finding myself flip flopping between normal and hard right now early on. Hard feels a little too brutal at times, with more than a few nearly 1 shot deaths. Normal feels too easy most of the time. Hoping maybe it's a gear thing and with a bit more gear and practice I can switch back to hard comfortably.

Top Bottom