• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NieR: Automata |OT| "I wouldn't expect too much from this game if I were you."

Jb

Wow. I played 70 hours and got all the main endings and I'm just now figuring out that you can charge your Pod specials. I always thought charging it just holds it, but doesn't actually boost it in any way. Apparently charging the Hammer gives me 3 hammers at a time o_O

I also only learned about it 10 hours in and that's just because I saw someone else do it on a stream -_-
Which is stupid of me because I'm pretty sure you could also charge your magic attacks in the original game.

Wow. I played 70 hours and got all the main endings and I'm just now figuring out that you can charge your Pod specials. I always thought charging it just holds it, but doesn't actually boost it in any way. Apparently charging the Hammer gives me 3 hammers at a time o_O

i hold buttons naturally when testing new systems. but that R1 throw would prob be hidden from me til the end if i didn't read about it here :eek:

Moaradin

I also only learned about it 10 hours in and that's just because I saw someone else do it on a stream -_-
Which is stupid of me because I'm pretty sure you could also charge your magic attacks in the original game.

I'm familiar with the first game as well so I feel a bit silly. Though I think I did try it with the laser, but just assumed the other pod was for 9s.

DKL

Man, I'm playing Senran Kagura Estival Versus right now on Steam (with a Switch pro controller lol) and I know it's to be expected, but this game feels really clunky compared to Nier...

Like, I really miss the R2 button from Nier and I'm beginning to think that a button that cancels animation and allows you to place yourself in a specific place with movement after the cancel is something I want to see in more action games going forward.

(I mean as opposed to just getting a set distance or animation or whatever... come to think about it, Platinum sort of did this with Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles and I liked it there too... even had a bar that you needed to manage or you got a dizzy, which was really cool)

It feels really nice, but it's possible that it has existed in other games and I'm just derping right now.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
So, what's up with the sound track coming out? Is it different from the one included in the black box edition?

black box edition is an orchestrated live medley of like 12 or 13 songs, some from the original, others from automata. its not the official automata soundtrack

Chinner

Banned
I've completed this entirely but I don't know what to do, go back and complete side quests or start a new playthrough.

Jelly of people who are yet to experience this.

JJShadow

A couple of questions: is it safe to sell all the materials which say "Can be exchanged for money", or do they have a use? I have some repeated chips, should I fuse them or is selling them a better option? Also, where should I invest my money early on? Expanded chip storage?

Thanks!

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
I am so bad at
hacking

The first hub where you wake up is so classy. Anything Platinum touches becomes gold, 'effin legends

Edit
And if you remove OS chip from menu...
Edit2
The valve eyepatch...

Reposting this in hopes that someone might have an idea of what's going on with my game. I've verified the game files, though I haven't reinstalled yet.

Having a problem and need some help, bros

After the opening/tutorial mission, the white screen fades to 2B looking out one of the space station windows and she goes to meet 9S.

After the cut-scene about the history of events, things seem to be broken. I go see the Commander and she says this to me:

dTWrMqt.jpg

I have not held any conversation with her prior, nor have I been in the room since "reboot". I've looked at some Youtube videos and there is supposed to be a crowd of these android people to the right off the elevator and a marker over the Commander. I see none of that, as pictured here:

When I go to look at the Intel station in 2B's (or anyone's) room, I see this, which looks glitched.

Even scanning through the menu I can hear 2B doing attacks as if the game isn't recognizing that I'm in the menu system. Sometimes I'm unable to close the menu at all and am forced to reboot.

The Quests are all greyed out, as shown here:

When I go to the Hangar, nothing happens on any pads (where it looks like something is supposed to happen). It looks like this:

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I've restarted the game from the beginning and been wandering around the station trying to figure out if I've done something wrong for more than an hour.

Please help.

I think you just ran into a shitty scripting bug, fam.

From the end of the boss, 2B is on the Bunker as you said. You talk to 9S and thank him for helping you. Then it cuts to some background story stuff and you do a settings tutorial (adjust brightness and stuff). After, you get up and you should have an objective marker pointing you towards the commander and then pointing you to the hanger afterwards. There should definitely be people up in that room with the commander and those intel stations in all the other rooms should be shops.

You say you've gone though the prologue twice now and still have this issue? Have you tried verifying game files?

I'll try verifying the game files. What is happening for me is:

1.) tutorial area ends

2.) 2B is peering out the window, then goes to thank 9S

3.) get speech about aliens taking us out and mankind fighting back blah blah glory to the human race.

4.) I get the option to use online something or other for messages; I choose Yes.

5.) Immediately after history cut-scene ends and I get that online messages option, 2B is again back in the hallway and 9S comes out of a room nearby.

6.) I get no Commander marker and her room is actually grey. If I go to the Commander to speak with her, she asks why I'm still here and tells me that the mission data or whatever should be available to me.

7.) I go to the Hangar and nothing happens on the ship platform or anywhere else in the game world for that matter.

Notes:

- If I try to click on the Settings from inside the game (rather than from the menu), it just kicks me back to the game. Settings do not work.

- There are no active quests of any kind under the Quests menu.

Man Route C is fucking crazy so far. Definitely a step up from Route B's slog. Seems like the real game begins in Route C if this
gauntlet
is anything to go by.

Reposting this in hopes that someone might have an idea of what's going on with my game. I've verified the game files, though I haven't reinstalled yet.

Having a problem and need some help, bros...

Do you experience the glitched pause menu you described during the tutorial?
Did you try answering "No" to the online prompt?
If that does not work you can try deleting the games saved data.

Do you experience the glitched pause menu you described during the tutorial?
Not that I noticed.

Did you try answering "No" to the online prompt?
I always answered Yes.

If that does not work you can try deleting the games saved data.
I'll try answering no after the game finishes reinstalling. Thanks for the ideas. Feels bad. I've played the tutorial 5 times now hoping that one of those times whatever is causing the issue will go away.

True Fire

Is there a new thread for this interview?

The man sounds depressed.I wish i could give him a hug.

Now that I have fulfilled my dream to "create a game that I like," there's not much left for me to do. However, because I don't have much else to do now, I am clinging onto my job as a game director. In a way, I'm just living out of habit now. And now, I have become that troublesome elder that I hated when I was young. Like a demon king in an RPG, I feel like I'm clinging to my castle of authority all alone and waiting for a new hero to come slay me.

Jesus, even his random interview comments are tear jerking. You can tell he's the mastermind behind the twisted side quests in this game

What language is used in the songs? Japanese?

I remember an interview with the singer after the release of the first Nier where she described how they came up with the lyrics for the different songs in that game.
They might have done the same thing with this game.
Emi Evans said:
I should take already existing languages and imagine what they would sound like after thousands of years evolving. I researched various language on YouTube until I was familiar with the sounds and rhythms and then just respectfully warped them to become the lyrics that you hear now.

Jiraiza

Notes:

- If I try to click on the Settings from inside the game (rather than from the menu), it just kicks me back to the game. Settings do not work.

- There are no active quests of any kind under the Quests menu.

Answered in the other thread, but I'll answer it again here for visibility. I think the problem is the game is somehow skipping over the scene where you configure 2B with 9S. Once you finish the configuration, you get directed to the Commander. The big question is what exactly is triggering this weird bug.

Memnoch

I just started playing last night and I'm really impressed. It's my first nier game. The intro with the Galaga flying sections was great and the first gigantic boss was a lot of fun. Looking forward to more.

What language is used in the songs? Japanese?

AFAIK, it's a mixture of various languages. At least Emi Evans did create the language for it, anyway.

Altogether I wrote songs in 8 languages based on Gaelic, Portuguese, Spanish, Italian, French, English and Japanese. I would find clips of language lessons for the required psuedo-language on the Internet and then just listen over and over to get the sounds and rhythms into my head and also try writing down passages in the language too in the hope I could absorb something extra. Then it was just a matter of trying to imitate the flow and fit similar sounds around the melody.

The only song which has a totally made-up language is ”Song of the Ancients" which was the very first song I wrote lyrics for and had been given no guidelines at all other than ”imaginary language." I think that, at this early stage, no one was quite sure how to go about creating these new languages, so they just left me to it to see what happened!

Apart from the final closing theme, ”Ashes of Dreams," the lyrics have no meaning-they are just a means by which to create a special atmosphere.

http://www.originalsoundversion.com/deep-into-nier-interview-with-vocalist-and-lyricist-emi-evans/

ramyeon

Got up to Route C and played a couple of hours of that today. Holy shit this game.

I really enjoyed Route B, but this is a whole other level so far. It just keeps delivering.

Razmos

The speed star quest is making me want to go on a machine killing rampage. I equipped all movement speed chips and use a speed salve and I still can't get even close to beating him.

The main issue is the horrible "course" you have to traverse which is full of jumps that ruin your speed, and climbing. Meanwhile he just floats really fast over everything. It's nonsense

Jiraiza

The speed star quest is making me want to go on a machine killing rampage. I equipped all movement speed chips and use a speed salve and I still can't get even close to beating him.

The main issue is the horrible "course" you have to traverse which is full of jumps that ruin your speed, and climbing. Meanwhile he just floats really fast over everything. It's nonsense

2B or 9S?

Melchior

Man this game is absolutely fantastic. I'm playing on Hard mode and fuck me sideways because I refused to swap and it took me 3 hours to get through the prologue. The dodging feels so off compared to bayonetta but I finally got used to it. Anyway loving the game a ton. I don't know if its just PC but the water looks really really bad. The first little water patch in front of
the resistance camp
. But yea definitely put a good amount of time into the game beat like 3 bosses. Hard mode is the way to go except that insanely unforgiving intro but I still enjoyed it.

ramyeon

They're really easy with 10% speed up and a salve if you follow the right path, you can find them on YouTube.

Famassu

After the first appearance of the human-like robot duo (or what preceeded it) and then subsequently the amusement park, I have no desire to be killing these robots :(

Also, bought the OST w/Hacking Tracks bonus disc. Häppiiiiih.

MikeBison

Only dipping in and out of this thread briefly as I'm in my first play through (although this OT is brilliant for people spoiler tagging properly, thanks!) but just wanted to say...

..did Flooded City last night. Ho-leeh-sheet.

That was fucking awesome. Scale, the music, the explosions. Just felt like the raddest fucking thing doing that. The music in this game is something special.

AlanOC91

Um so I just completed the
desert area
which was the "improving communications" quest. So I went back to the resistance camp and completed it and now I can't seem to progress. I have no more missions and going back to my commander she just says "have you forgotten your purpose? How long are you planning to stand there".

Do I just go explore now and find my own quests?

EDIT: nvm had to walk out of camp. Kind of annoying it only triggers that way....

i keep thinking back on the game and liking it more and it doesn't stop help

i'm laughing right now thinking about
playing as pascal inside a goliath and then engels goliath appears so it's ENGELS VS PASCAL presented as a mech battle and i'm dying

Shandy

I'm super LTTP but the way everyone is pronouncing 'automata' really bothers me. I don't know if they pronounce it in-game yet but thank god for dual audio on this one.

I didn't learn how to pronounce it correctly until like 2 weeks ago lol, so ashamed of myself

They never say it in-game though

The pods
say it in Ending E when
they ask if you want to delete your save. "You, faithful player of Nier: Automata"

I'm a stubborn Australian who refuses to pronounce it the way Square Enix insists because it sounds like some American nonsense, but as time goes on, I feel more and more like this.

AlanOC91

Just completed the
carnival
and so far I'm finding the game extremely easy on normal. Haven't died yet and have used about 6-7 healing items so far in the game.

Should I bump it up to hard or will it get more difficult on normal?

Markoman

Just completed the
carnival
and so far I'm finding the game extremely easy on normal. Haven't died yet and have used about 6-7 healing items so far in the game.

Should I bump it up to hard or will it get more difficult on normal?

Yes go hard, the game will become even easier if you're doing side-stuff. BUT save often. I got one-shotted on normal by an off-screen enemy
suicide bomber
while doing exploration and lost 30 minutes of progress.

Or do it like me, play on normal to learn about the game. Then let it sink and start a hard-mode run. There are bosses later on that can really become a pain in the ass on hard, I bet.

Top Bottom