• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NieR: Automata |OT| "I wouldn't expect too much from this game if I were you."

Finding myself flip flopping between normal and hard right now early on. Hard feels a little too brutal at times, with more than a few nearly 1 shot deaths. Normal feels too easy most of the time. Hoping maybe it's a gear thing and with a bit more gear and practice I can switch back to hard comfortably.

It's all about your chipset. Stacking defense, or stacking attack, or using utility stuff (like freeze time on dodge Overclock chip), or stacking Heal chips like I did (heal on enemy death, heal per second, heal per damage done). There's a lot of chips to match a lot of styles/combat the difficulty, so I'd recommend saving up for the Storage upgrades that the shop at the resistance camp sells.

MrDaravon

A little ways into Route B and I'm not really a fan of
playing as 9S or his hacking. His one weapon and slower attacking is I'm guessing to emphasize the hacking, but on regular enemies hacking is slower than just killing them normally, and on harder enemies the hacking is hard :(

playing as 9S or his hacking. His one weapon and slower attacking is I'm guessing to emphasize the hacking, but on regular enemies hacking is slower than just killing them normally, and on harder enemies the hacking is hard :(

Got a spear? Use a spear. If you hold the attack button he throws the spear harder and it does really good damage, especially if you're using an upgraded one/have attack up chips.

Does the game have unlockable extras like items, outfits constumes etc? The only costume I know about is the upcoming Gravity Rush one but isn't out yet. I thought the director promised many extras and costumes.

Does the game have unlockable extras like items, outfits constumes etc? The only costume I know about is the upcoming Gravity Rush one but isn't out yet. I thought the director promised many extras and costumes.

I don't know about any costumes but there are accessories you can find in the world, and also the stuff from the Day One edition. Those go in the Key Items section.

Capra

I always found the
hacking to be really quick when used intelligently. If you pick an enemy in the middle of a pack, the explosion usually takes a good chunk of health off everything around it. Granted I have some experience with bullet hell so it was usually a pretty quick thing to hack for me. I thought it was really cool to switch between shooting at enemies one moment, to popping inside of one to set off an explosion via hacking.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
I accidentally got the
Q
Ending after struggling with the part preceding it. Dick move game, dick move. Also how do I access the DLC? I downloaded it, but it's not showing up.

Exentryk

Oh wow, what the hell was that all about?! All the machines in the desert
shouting "This Cannot Continue"? And then Okabe made that into a song, lmao! Sheer epicness!

Althane

Just noticed that the boss music for the
Giant Whale Boss (okay, I don't know its name)
is The Dark Colossus Destroys All.

I love that song.

So I accidentally killed a robot with a green health bar in the desert cowering in front of an elevator...

Did I just completely screw something up?

Any ideas what that was?

HeelPower

The speed star quest is making me want to go on a machine killing rampage. I equipped all movement speed chips and use a speed salve and I still can't get even close to beating him.

The main issue is the horrible "course" you have to traverse which is full of jumps that ruin your speed, and climbing. Meanwhile he just floats really fast over everything. It's nonsense

2B or 9S?

This made me realize that there could some things better done as one character over another.

9S is definitely a slower runner than 2B.That race quest would be even harder then.

Crayon

∀ Narayan;232307429 said:
Just started (PC).

The opening is amazing.

It is truly something else. I was caught of guard. And by off guard I mean I was super lit on an edible. The intro almost gave me a heart attack.

Exentryk

I loved how the game organically made you check your brightness and other settings. So well done!
Also liked the ending of the supply guy's quest where
he doesn't want to lose his original leg
. It does seem like Taro will be touching
those deep philosophical questions. The machines seem to be like humans, and given the original NieR, I'm speculating the alien race probably turned humans into machines, and that we are actually just killing humans.

Anyway, interesting stuff! Also, I'm loving the combat. It is so fast and smooth, like wow! I was initially playing with a DS4, but the analog sticks had a lot of deadzones, so switched to the Razer Raiju and it's been heavenly responsive and smooth since.
And I don't even need to mention the music. I feel like if this continues, it might end up being the best OST ever made!

Jb

Just got done with route C and wondering about the
strange resistance woman the game mentions after the credits. Should I talk to her by continuing the ending file and replaying the beginning or by using chapter select?

Just got done with route C and wondering about the
strange resistance woman the game mentions after the credits. Should I talk to her by continuing the ending file and replaying the beginning or by using chapter select?

She starts
selling Trophies for in game currency, any chapter you pick and talk to her

Crayon

This game is my everything right now. I keep liking it more and more. I finally have several hours to play this weekend and I'm making some real progress. So addictive.

Trickster

Is there any real reason to use a different weapon than the one with the highest attack that you have in each weapon category? Spend over 10 hours in the game now, and I just got a short sword type weapon that deal 60-80 dmg, while my starting weapon with just one lvl upgrade deals around 4 times that :|

aravuus

Alright, got all evening/night to myself. I'm gonna spend the next six hours playing this lol, despite the problems with the PC port.

Loving everything about it so far.

sappyday

I just bought the game last night and I played the first section. I died by the time I reached the boss and now I had to redo the entire section. I'm sure there is a reason for this but it's really annoying.

Yohane

Just got at the start of Ending C (couple of hours in) loving it so far!

Normal is really really easy. Tried to switch to Hard but I found the enemy attacks hitboxes really unfair and hard to gauge!

Am I the only one?

Exentryk

Is there any real reason to use a different weapon than the one with the highest attack that you have in each weapon category? Spend over 10 hours in the game now, and I just got a short sword type weapon that deal 60-80 dmg, while my starting weapon with just one lvl upgrade deals around 4 times that :|

Being able to do longer combos means keeping enemies stun-locked for longer and potentially doing more damage. Check the movesets and see how they fit with your playstyle.

Being able to do longer combos means keeping enemies stun-locked for longer and potentially doing more damage. Check the movesets and see how they fit with your playstyle.

Confession, i chose the weapons that i thought looked the coolest and had the coolest looking animations. Normal was easy enough to where i could get away with it lol.

Top Bottom