• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NieR: Automata |OT| "I wouldn't expect too much from this game if I were you."

Audioboxer

I should also say so far this soundtrack is fantastic. It's quite a bit different than Nier but equally as filled with quality so far. Even one or two places I've revisited after doing quests have the songs slightly change.
The robot village after saving the sister - although that might not be the trigger
. It still has fantastic tracks (the two I've heard).

I'd give an arm and a leg for this and the first games soundtracks to be printed onto vinyl.

Mobile Suit Gooch

Grundle: The Awakening
Stating the obvious here: I think 2B is the coolest female lead we had since Bayo. I mean, the usual suspects complain about her outfit but what are you gonna do? it's a stylish action game and her outfit reflect's that.

Slater

Banned
C7NTekcX0AEWfod.jpg

DLC costume plsssss

I mean, the usual suspects complain about her outfit but what are you gonna do?
I don't see much harm in feeling that way. Honestly, the only reason it sticks out to me is because there's a big difference between the outfits for male and female YoRHa androids. 9S's outfit is boring in comparison, for example. Side by side, there's a bit of contrast. At least, I think so.

That said, it's absolutely not something worth making a big deal out of. It's also a shame that some people might pass on the game over little stuff like this. You're right about 2B, she's gotta be my favorite female protagonist in a long time. Honestly, the writing in this game took me by complete surprise. It's incredibly engaging.

Audioboxer

Stating the obvious here: I think 2B is the coolest female lead we had since Bayo. I mean, the usual suspects complain about her outfit but what are you gonna do? it's a stylish action game and her outfit reflect's that.

Considering they probably won't even play the game, their loss. All the characters in this so far have been excellent.

Moaradin

Counter doesn't seem super useful in this game. I just bought a +6 version that takes up 28 slots just to check it out, and it doesn't even do more damage than a single light attack. Risk vs. Reward doesn't seem too good. Rather just get a 50% damage boost with those 28 slots.

Ruff

Counter doesn't seem super useful in this game. I just bought a +6 version that takes up 28 slots just to check it out, and it doesn't even do more damage than a single light attack. Risk vs. Reward doesn't seem too good. Rather just get a 50% damage boost with those 28 slots.

Perfect Dodging then using Pod for the "Pod throw counter" seems to do wayyyy more damage than whatever the counter chip does, plus it has splash damage and seems to have iframes too.

I don't see much harm in feeling that way. Honestly, the only reason it sticks out to me is because there's a big difference between the outfits for male and female YoRHa androids. 9S's outfit is boring in comparison, for example. Side by side, there's a bit of contrast. At least, I think so.

That said, it's absolutely not something worth making a big deal out of. It's also a shame that some people might pass on the game over little stuff like this. You're right about 2B, she's gotta be my favorite female protagonist in a long time. Honestly, the writing in this game took me by complete surprise. It's incredibly engaging.

Yea, I love this game to an insane degree. Yet I can fully understand complaints about
A2
and to a lesser degree, 2B's appearance. Especially from people who haven't played the game. I think the
Amusement Park boss' story
discusses these themes and would interest some of these same people. Anyways I just hope more of these people are willing to give the game a try.

balohna

What VO language are you guys using? Any feedback/preference?

I played the demo in English and Japanese and English seemed fine, I thought Japanese seemed more natural though.

Trickster

Anyone else that have had sidequests/npcs dissapear for no apparent reason? It's really causing me some frustration that things i was planning on doing, just went *poof* without warning

Audioboxer

I played the demo in English and Japanese and English seemed fine, I thought Japanese seemed more natural though.

English seems good to me. I enjoy hearing
the robots
voices in English too.

Kill kill kill kill kill.

Close to 24k concurrent peak on Steam today. PC sales are going to be solid for Nier Automata.

I was one of the 24k this morning. Really only stopped because I have a previous engagement in FFXIV and at some point I will need to collide with slumber.

Playing the PC version, seems mostly fine. Though I do wonder if the issues people are having with the video cutscens have to do with framerate of the video itself...

LotusHD

Banned

The dub is phenomenal, so go with that. Additionally, not every little thing gets subtitled (one song in particular), so unless you understand Japanese, stick with English.

Xliskin

I have a question about OG Nier
I remember the only ones who called androids are Devola and Popola , is Nier and Yonah and others considered as android or not ??

Crayon

I remember the only ones who called androids are Devola and Popola , is Nier and Yonah and others considered as android or not ??

I think they are
gestaults or something
. I forget. I will wait with you for a better answer to appear soon.

Cyto

I think I am the only one but, does anyone else find this game super repetitive? I mean I am literally forcing myself to play it at this point 2 hours in. The same fighting and the constant running around from a to b in an open world environment sucks the life out of me. Doesn't really seem to have any enemy diversity neither.

Yep, Devola and Popola are the only androids. Nier and the others are Replicants, which are like artificially created humans immune to White Chlorination Syndrome.

Crayon

I think I am the only one but, does anyone else find this game super repetitive? I mean I am literally forcing myself to play it at this point 2 hours in. The same fighting and the constant running around from a to b in an open world environment sucks the life out of me. Doesn't really seem to have any enemy diversity neither.

I would say that for the people the game is effective with, it is more than the sum of it's parts. If something is not clicking with you, like maybe you don't find the story interesting and you don't care what happens, then they game would seem downright unremarkable. I personally find the combat, the movement and the story all top notch so the game is really engrossing for me but sounds like you may not care for any of those elements. I'm saying that it's not one of those games that is obviously brilliant even if you don't care for it.

If you do get into it, this is a seriously good game. Might not be for you tho. I suppose it's a classic "not for everybody" situation.

WITHE1982

Nier and yonah were
replicants created to hold the "soul" of their gestalt versions. However over time they developed their own consciousness so untimately their gestalt couldn't enter their bodies. Devola and popola were androids tasked with helping the process happen

vocab

The subs are delayed/timings are off. Makes playing it in Japanese a bit harder, and yeah, some things are not subbed. It's got that freedom wars issue where announcements aren't subbed, and when you fish, you're assistant says stuff that isn't subbed. Stuff like that is a big oversight.

HeelPower

I dont understand why they decided to call them endings and have the credits roll,instead of calling them chapters,acts or whatever.

They're essential playing.

Route C really is fucking fantastic so far. The story is really going now.
Also, I really prefer A2 to both 2B and 9S. Both as a character and to play as. The dialogue between her and Pod 042 is pretty damn funny ("this is your 30 second reminder", "Shut. The. Hell. Up.") and reminds me more of the dynamic of the original NieR with all of the banter/arguments. It's also cool doing the side quests for Devola and Popola. Once again, they actually answer why the heck they're still around despite the events of the first game, which is cool. Honestly feels like Routes A and B were the Prologue/Starter and this is the main game/main course.

I also advise people to explore the Desert in Route C!
The sand has moved due to the Earthquakes and revealed...stuff. What the fuck happened, Emil? :O On another note, the Amusement Park is all creepy and sad now. All of those happy little robots puking oil and becoming all zombified...this is a Yoko Taro game, alright. Yeesh.

Xliskin

I think they are
gestaults or something
. I forget. I will wait with you for a better answer to appear soon.

Yep, Devola and Popola are the only androids. Nier and the others are Replicants, which are like artificially created humans immune to White Chlorination Syndrome.

I found document in the archives called Project YoRHa says that
after the events of OG Nier "the androids tried to revive humanity" while we know the only androids are Devola and Popola and we destroyed them :/

Speedstar third part is driving me crazy. How the hell do I
cross the entire crater before this asshole
? Lol.

you will not
unless you use overclock chip to slow time :p
I think it designed this way which is sucks

Philippo

I dont understand why they decided to call them endings and have the credits roll,instead of calling them chapters,acts or whatever.

They're essential playing.

I think it adds to the meta aspect of the game, it forces players to go behind their confort zone and go "wait what there is more?".
I think calling them Acts would dimish that aspect greatly.

Top Bottom