• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NieR: Automata |OT| "I wouldn't expect too much from this game if I were you."

OniBaka

I've got a couple of questions.

1. In the cutscene when you press no button which is the same as this trailer, Adam or whoever(since this trailer fooled me a couple times who actually says what) says "Perhaps we are not so different after all.

I played through the game the third time and did NEVER encouter this sentence by no one. What's about that? Did I miss something? If it were cut content why would it still be in the cutscene at the start menu? Someone help me out here please.
I remember reading it not hearing it, when you play as 9s and
get captured by Adam it will be the text base.

Demoskinos

I think you are on the right track here. It seems natural to feel uncomfortable with the idea of replaying the game and that's part of the fun. It is kind of like a visual novel structure. It's the first time I've seen a traditional action rpg like this do it. The combat and rpg systems are somewhat freeform. The difficulty is easily throttled. I think there is a lot going on that emphasizes the storytelling. The storytelling is the most important aspect of the game and the weirdly misleading multiple playthrough system is chosen for a reason even if the exact reason is unclear.

For me personally, the second playthrough is doing a lot to make me feel different about the whole game and my perception of the characters. I think it's art. And successful art. It's evoking the emotional response in a somewhat reliable way. It gets into your head and you think about it. Not just fantasize about it like: "oh I'd rather be playing nier than be at school". Really think about it like: "I think this is trying to say something about the world we live in". It's very stimulating.

C6v2zvTXUAA0zd0.jpg

Even some of the side quests have some real gut punch moments. It plays around with the themes of love/death and the meaning of being human but in ways that don't feel trite. And boy has it just wormed its way directly into my brain over this last week.

Philippo

About to meet
Pascal at the factory
, feels like i'm close to the end.

Pod B is
in the flooded city. You need to go fishing, eventually you'll catch him instead of fish

Immediately found it lol, thanks!

So, in other Routes i won't miss anything right? Shops, NPCs, quests etc.,?

Tomeru

You can save after getting through the beginning section, which is basically the demo.

Didn't play the demo...

And I didn't even know what my pod could do. I've been playing it handicapped for the past 2 hours, never figuring out why this game is hard....

The worst introduction I've ever had with a game. What kind of a tutorial doesn't tutor?

Philippo

Also, i never tried to peek under 2B's skirt but now
i want that trophy, how can i obtain it
?
And can i still do it in other Routes?

HeelPower

Didn't play the demo...

And I didn't even know what my pod could do. I've been playing it handicapped for the past 2 hours, never figuring out why this game is hard....

The worst introduction I've ever had with a game. What kind of a tutorial doesn't tutor?
Its ok.

I died twice and raged at the tutorial.

Down on the d-pad opens up the healing items menu(you can heal at any time) ,and the game never really has sequences as long as this without checkpoints later on.

Majmun

This OST man...

I think the original NieR has higher highs, but Automata's has more good songs imo.

So many great tunes.

Tomeru

Its ok.

I died twice and raged at the tutorial.

Down on the d-pad opens up the healing items menu(you can heal at any time) ,and the game never really has sequences as long as this without checkpoints later on.

I dies atleast 10 times!

So I thought heck, lets see how other people play it. Maybe I'm playing it wrong. Turns out I am playing it wrong. The pod can shoot!

Also, for some reason I never thought about trying to pause during a fight. I always paused it during cutscenes, so I didn't know that I had access to items!

This games made me lose any self confidence I had as a gamer before...

zombieshavebrains

I have not used cocaine
I don't really know if I like the pod shooting mechanic. It feels kinda cheap to be able to shoot enemies from afar, but it also is a bit annoying to hold down a button when you also have so many other buttons and sticks assigned.

Holding down a button while locking on also takes no skills, whereas shooting with manual aiming takes me completely out of the melee mindset. But not shooting at all feels like I'm missing a key part of combat.

I don't really understand what the point of the shooting is. It doesn't feel good or interesting. (I just finished the desert boss battle so I'm just starting to play, though, maybe it gets more interesting later on.)

I feel the same way. If you wanted to shoot and dodge for 45 min to beat something you could. But where is the fun in that.

Shooting is so pointless I usually forget to even use it. Or the other choice is to hold a button down the entire time you want to do melee. It wasn't well thought out.

This OST man...

I think the original NieR has higher highs, but Automata's has more good songs imo.

So many great tunes.

I feel that this OST has more ambient tunes that are more subtle in their approach to composition, whereas NieR's OST had more dramatic crescendos in its compositions. Also, there seems to be more variety to Automata's OST whereas NieR's was pretty much set on being a vocal soundtrack, Automata has music that builds up more gradually. I like them both equally, to be honest but feel that NieR's had more of an impact just due to it being first (not just a nostalgia thing, just never heard anything like it before). I prefer the boss themes in the original more overall, I think, same goes for the field themes and town themes. I prefer the combat themes and cutscene music in Automata. They're both great to listen to though. Maybe i should hold off for a more thorough assessment as a standalone listen outside the game too since i can just listen to NieR's OST for days and never get sick of it and haven't since 2010 when I first got the soundtrack after beating the original game.

I'm really looking forward to that soundtrack release that I pre-ordered, out in a week's time! Going to be so good.

LotusHD

Banned
Didn't play the demo...

It doesn't tell you that it can shoot? Swore it did...

Maybe I just looked at the controls and just put 2 and 2 together lol

I just want to know if I should expect to
play as 2B again

I dunno why so many of y'all like having to answers to stuff you'll find out naturally, but:

Yes you will.

I feel the same way. If you wanted to shoot and dodge for 45 min to beat something you could. But where is the fun in that.

Shooting is so pointless I usually forget to even use it. Or the other choice is to hold a button down the entire time you want to do melee. It wasn't well thought out.

I don't see how it's pointless when it literally lets you kill things faster lol

LotusHD

Banned
honest question, are we doing spoilers in here? people straight up talking about the
pov change
in ending b

People aren't really supposed to be spoiling that, but for whatever reason, it's one of the few things people are pretty lax about in this OT lol

Teggy

Hm, I just had a confusing thought about the lore, can anyone explain?

(Only about 7 hours into Automata, so no spoilers please)

I thought that based on the end of Nier all replicants died off and the gestalt project failed. So who are the humans living on the moon?

LotusHD

Banned

I thought that based on the end of Nier all replicants died off and the gestalt project failed. So who are the humans living on the moon?

Keep playing, they'll explain it.

HeelPower

I dies atleast 10 times!

So I thought heck, lets see how other people play it. Maybe I'm playing it wrong. Turns out I am playing it wrong. The pod can shoot!

Also, for some reason I never thought about trying to pause during a fight. I always paused it during cutscenes, so I didn't know that I had access to items!

You said you've played on hard,that makes sense.

Hard mode is really unbearably hard in this game.You cant even lock on.

I tried but immediately switched to Normal,its not for me.

Dantis

Just started
route C.
Really distressing. Automata is the most depressing game I've played in a long time. It's just constantly punching you.

Tomeru

It doesn't tell you that it can shoot? Swore it did...

Maybe I just looked at the controls and just put 2 and 2 together lol

Yes.

It tells me I can shoot when I'm in einheander mode. From here to figuring out it can shoot everywhere else? Didn't have a clue. I'm all for figuring stuff alone, but not this stuff. Combos and such are one thing, but figuring out a "new" button is something else.

The tutorial is not done well at all.

DKL

This game is really one of those things where I feel like the GIT GUD sensibility of design is in conflict with actual good game design.

The opening sequence is a good indication of this primarily because of a bunch of things:

-I'm not sure the game introduces an organic manner in which you're suppose to know that you can heal (assuming you're not playing on Very Hard or raging at OHKO on Hard) and what needs to be done in order to heal
-The game vaguely tells you that the actual game will teach you how to save, but does not indicate that this shit will happen after a 30 minute to 1 hour long sequence... so, naturally, everyone is just angry when they're booted out to the fucking main title where you have to suffer a bunch of non gameplay bullshit, like loading screens
-The game tells you that it doesn't autosave, you assume there are no checkpoints, but there actually are... and when you do experience a good checkpoint, you assume that there are more of these, but then you get hit with a completely miserable checkpoint whose design makes no sense

If anything, it's a unique experience... but I'm very weary about a lot of the game design choices despite knowing that it's suppose to be eccentric.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony

keep playing.

LotusHD

Banned
You said you've played on hard,that makes sense.

Hard mode is really unbearably hard in this game.You cant even lock on.

I tried but immediately switched to Normal,its not for me.

I dunno why they made it harder than the demo, it was perfect the way it was.

Just started
route C.
Really distressing. Automata is the most depressing game I've played in a long time. It's just constantly punching you.

Heh, no lies there.

It tells me I can shoot when I'm in einheander mode. From here to figuring out it can shoot everywhere else? Didn't have a clue. I'm all for figuring stuff alone, but not this stuff. Combos and such are one thing, but figuring out a "new" button is something else.

The tutorial is not done well at all.

Well like I said, it is right there in the Controls, so it's not exactly difficult to figure out imo

But I'm admittedly biased, I played the demo multiple times, so I figured this all out, and mapped my custom controls, quite awhile ago.

"Well except for the really selfish ones . They were fine" LOL

Lmao that was one of the best ones

I'm spending time catching up on side-quests, and I'm finding I'm alternating between these reactions by the end of them:

disgstd.gif

or

alex-crying.gif

I had a good cackle at
Lost Little Sister tormenting 9S over how children are made. 2B's just 'nope'.

The ending to the stamp side-quest goes down as one of the GOATs in gaming.

It's kind embarrassing to ask, but does anyone else have a constant problem where they're trying to click on an item or whatever, and ends up triggering 9S' combat settings instead? I feel like button prompt to click on an item is quite sensitive instead of being quite generous, so I've sometimes had the problem where I've had to manoeuvre 2B around a bit to get her into a position to click on an item. (I don't really have this problem picking up gold items whilst running around in the world, it's just more context sensitive interaction on a chest or something.)

Trickster

I dunno why so many of y'all like having to answers to stuff you'll find out naturally, but:

spoiler edit

Alright thanks.

I'm just too impatient to wait x amount of playthroughs to find out about that one specific part, since I've enjoyed that in route A

Unrelated. If I found normal to be quite easy on the first playthrough, would upping the difficulty be advisable ?

Edit - also random note, It's really frustrating that even after "completing" the game, I still can't risk reading all the things that are marked in spoilers in this thread lol

ramyeon

Alright thanks.

I'm just too impatient to wait x amount of playthroughs to find out about that one specific part, since I've enjoyed that in route A

Unrelated. If I found normal to be quite easy on the first playthrough, would upping the difficulty be advisable ?
You could always try it out and then change back if it's too hard? Just saying haha.

LotusHD

Banned
Alright thanks.

Um, if you really want to play on Hard, I'd advise you to make sure you have good chips. Like it's pretty imbalanced in terms of how damage everything does, so naturally you'd want to attempt to offset that through defensive chips, ones that auto-heal you or heal you when you attack/kill machines, etc.

Get that in order, then try it out.

Edit - also random note, It's really frustrating that even after "completing" the game, I still can't risk reading all the things that are marked in spoilers in this thread lol

Don't worry, one day you'll beat the game, and get to comfortably observe everyone going through the motions, and get excited when they reach the best parts lol

OniBaka

Alright thanks.

Sure, just remember you can't lock on in hard.

Also I recommend not coming here until you beat the whole game.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Alright thanks.

just be ready to really customize and optimize your chips as well as upgrade your weapons, cause hard can blindside you if your not prepared. It took me a bit before i was able to attempt hard, but once i switched, and properly adjusted, it was managable

And yeah, if your gonna be shooting, learn to aim. Especially at the flying worms, worst enemy in the game on hard

Philippo

Seriously tho i need help with the upskirt thing as 2B never tries to push me away, am i doing something wrong?
I don't want to discover this was only possoble in Route A and
miss a trophy
for this.

LotusHD

Banned
Mostly asking because I have no idea if game changes at some point and the difficulty amps up.

The game does get harder in Route C, for one thing.

Seriously tho i need help with the upskirt thing as 2B never tries to push me away, am i doing something wrong?
miss a trophy
for this.

You can't miss any of the trophies.

miss a trophy
for this.

Look at a youtube video, its not easy. You need to spin her around with the camera in the right place. But dont worry, none of the trophies are missable.

True Fire

Don't read this spoiler until you've gotten all of the endings:

I love the fact that fans are picking up on this early on

Top Bottom