• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NieR: Automata |OT| "I wouldn't expect too much from this game if I were you."

Jb

I dont understand why they decided to call them endings and have the credits roll,instead of calling them chapters,acts or whatever.

They're essential playing.

I found it funny that the first post credit message explaining that the game wasn't actually over and there was a bunch more story to experience was signed Square Enix PR. I imagine they were afraid people would reach ending A, sell it back and post a negative review on amazon.jp complaining the game was too short.

So I've returned to playing this but on the pc and I'm wondering how much of route A do I have left? I've just
returned to the resistance camp, and the machines were eating people
a hell of an escalation from before.

I'm planning to get all 5 routes at least and maybe some of the other endings, like I just got the
mackerel
one, I didn't think that would have happened.

HeelPower

I found it funny that the first post credit message explaining that the game wasn't actually over and there was a bunch more story to experience was signed Square Enix PR. I imagine they were afraid people would reach ending A, sell it back and post a negative review on amazon.jp complaining the game was too short.

Yeah,I guess they had to do it.There's way too much content on the other routes.

I think it adds to the meta aspect of the game, it forces players to go behind their confort zone and go "wait what there is more?".
I think calling them Acts would dimish that aspect greatly.

Because they are possible conclusions to the story?

It does work that way but then getting a message from SE telling to play more was a but funky lol.

Fudo Myo

So the easy mode is really no slouch. It's not like you'll sleep through the it. Try it out.

Just to let ya'll know, I caved and put it on easy mode and cruised through the first boss to the first save point, then bumped it back up to normal. Just frustrated that I had to do that to save. That represents 3 hours of gameplay, just to get to the first save!

Also wanted to say, this game has some of the best sci-fi of any game I've played in a while. The suitcase-looking droid that floats around you could have been pulled straight out of Iain Bank's Culture universe, the consciousness uploads to the mainframe before death, i.e. saves, are good old William Gibson/Richard Morgan stuff. Fantastic to see this level of world building in a video game.

Jiraiza

Does anyone know what the diamond symbol is for the chips? I assume it's something unique/rare chip.

Lowest chip cost. For reference, here's the lowest chip cost for each level.

+0 - 4
+1 - 5
+2 - 6
+3 - 7
+4 - 9
+5 - 11
+6 - 14
+7 - 17
+8 - 21

If you want to theorycraft or whatever, someone in this thread made a useful spreadsheet here.

Skyr

So I decided to go with hard difficulty as I do with every game nowdays.

Died several times pretty far into the prologue.
Whats the deal with no saving? Is it basically a test if I'm worthy of the difficulty?

Should I go normal and accept that I'm a wimp? :(

Makes you wonder if the original decision off Yoko Taro and Platinum was to have no message not letting players know and just let them figure it out for themselves and then Square-Enix PR came in and said "no, we can't do that, the game will review terribly" and they had some sort of back and forth until they put that message in there. Seems pretty telling how it was signed by the PR department, haha.

LotusHD

Banned
So I decided to go with hard difficulty as I do with every game nowdays.

Died several times pretty far into the prologue.
Whats the deal with no saving? Is it basically a test if I'm worthy of the difficulty?

Should I go normal and accept that I'm a wimp? :(

Change it to Normal.

Dave1988

How do I access those two quests? They seem to be placed under the abandoned factory.

CDaBOjB.jpg
[/IMG]

Just to let ya'll know, I caved and put it on easy mode and cruised through the first boss to the first save point, then bumped it back up to normal. Just frustrated that I had to do that to save. That represents 3 hours of gameplay, just to get to the first save!

Also wanted to say, this game has some of the best sci-fi of any game I've played in a while. The suitcase-looking droid that floats around you could have been pulled straight out of Iain Bank's Culture universe, the consciousness uploads to the mainframe before death, i.e. saves, are good old William Gibson/Richard Morgan stuff. Fantastic to see this level of world building in a video game.
I'm re reading Neuromancer now and was noticing some similarities between Gibson's work and this.

Crayon

I think it adds to the meta aspect of the game, it forces players to go behind their confort zone and go "wait what there is more?".
I think calling them Acts would dimish that aspect greatly.

I think you are on the right track here. It seems natural to feel uncomfortable with the idea of replaying the game and that's part of the fun. It is kind of like a visual novel structure. It's the first time I've seen a traditional action rpg like this do it. The combat and rpg systems are somewhat freeform. The difficulty is easily throttled. I think there is a lot going on that emphasizes the storytelling. The storytelling is the most important aspect of the game and the weirdly misleading multiple playthrough system is chosen for a reason even if the exact reason is unclear.

For me personally, the second playthrough is doing a lot to make me feel different about the whole game and my perception of the characters. I think it's art. And successful art. It's evoking the emotional response in a somewhat reliable way. It gets into your head and you think about it. Not just fantasize about it like: "oh I'd rather be playing nier than be at school". Really think about it like: "I think this is trying to say something about the world we live in". It's very stimulating.

C6v2zvTXUAA0zd0.jpg

Crayon

That's good. In my first playthru ,which was on normal, I got myself stuck at a part underleveled and with too few items. I tried really hard for a bit but I was stuck. So I just bumped it down to easy because I realized that I really just wanted to get to what happens next. And sure enough it didn't turn the fight into a joke or anything but it definitely was easy enough to get thru without stress. Then I was able to bump the difficulty right back up once I was unstuck from the situation.

The game has a lot of good opportunities for the player to challenge themselves, rather than a very careful difficulty curve like an action game. I can see that this is an artifact of making an rpg work with skill-based combat. Before moving to hard for example, one could start playing normal with no lockon or limited item usage. Or get rid of some of their crutch chips or use weapons they are uncomfortable with etc.

The gameplay is very good and it's simply fun to play but the challenge level is really up to you.

Tomeru

When is the first time I can actually save?

I started on hard, and I don't really have any issues with dying, but whenever I die, I get sent back to the starting screen, and I have to press continue, select a save and press start, than the whole sequence again.

Then I try to access the menu, but everytime I get the pause screen. This went on 5 times, until I accidentaly pressed pause mid combat, and what do you know - I have menu access and all the helpful items. Then I get to the giant wheel and die a couple of time in one hit, see the double dmg and def, and manage to kill it swiftly. Then I die to some fucking horde of pink orbs, packed tightly together.

And I see the start screen again.

I get the no auto save. I don't fucking care. But it's offensive af that I am thrown back to the start screen instead of just starting at the beginning sequence automatically.

It's driving me nuts after one hour of figuring out shit.

LotusHD

Banned

I started on hard, and I don't really have any issues with dying, but whenever I die, I get sent back to the starting screen, and I have to press continue, select a save and press start, than the whole sequence again.

Then I try to access the menu, but everytime I get the pause screen. This went on 5 times, until I accidentaly pressed pause mid combat, and what do you know - I have menu access and all the helpful items. Then I get to the giant wheel and die a couple of time in one hit, see the double dmg and def, and manage to kill it swiftly. Then I die to some fucking horde of pink orbs, packed tightly together.

I get the no auto save. I don't fucking care. But it's offensive af that I am thrown back to the start screen instead of just starting at the beginning sequence automatically. Just put it on Normal and get through it.

You can save after getting through the beginning section, which is basically the demo.

I think you are on the right track here. It seems natural to feel uncomfortable with the idea of replaying the game and that's part of the fun. It is kind of like a visual novel structure. It's the first time I've seen a traditional action rpg like this do it. The combat and rpg systems are somewhat freeform. The difficulty is easily throttled. I think there is a lot going on that emphasizes the storytelling. The storytelling is the most important aspect of the game and the weirdly misleading multiple playthrough system is chosen for a reason even if the exact reason is unclear.

For me personally, the second playthrough is doing a lot to make me feel different about the whole game and my perception of the characters. I think it's art. And successful art. It's evoking the emotional response in a somewhat reliable way. It gets into your head and you think about it. Not just fantasize about it like: "oh I'd rather be playing nier than be at school". Really think about it like: "I think this is trying to say something about the world we live in". It's very stimulating.

C6v2zvTXUAA0zd0.jpg

It's basically been a Yoko Taro thing that he's done since his directorial debut (Drakengard 1 on the PS2). Just when you think that's it (and it seems abrupt and incomplete) it turns out there's more. I remember thinking Drakengard 1 back in the day had a super short play time then I realised that continuing on there was so much more content...then NieR came out and did the same sort of thing in a different way. Automata seems to be a hybrid of the way both the Drakengard 1 & 3 style (Route C being completely new like the continuation in those games did, with new bosses, levels and storyline) and NieR (Route B being from another perspective like NieR second playthrough kinda was) did things. I really like that about his games, so much content and some of it is so well hidden, no matter which developer he works with (Cavia, Access Games or Platinum Games).

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
decided to save this for my week off work (which starts mnonday anyway), I wasnt going to put in much time in the weekened as it is, ill try to absorb some useful information for when I start (nd by start, I mean resume after the prologue, thats where I saved and quit)

Audioboxer

Someone told me you unlock fast travel at some point, is this true? Running around doing all these side quests can be a bit painful.

Just beat the game with the Platinum. I'm the worst kind of person since I *Final Ending Spoilers*
Didn't delete my save and then proceeded to buy the 9 remaining trophies I had to with in-game money

LowParry

So putting MA:A on the back burner, I went out to get this. Went through the first part (which was the demo) and stopped there. How long does this game take to clear?

Hektor

Guess I should hold off on quests then. Unless it's unlocked right at the end of the game or something lol.

It takes too long for my taste but it's definitely worth skipping sidequets until you got it

So putting MA:A on the back burner, I went out to get this. Went through the first part (which was the demo) and stopped there. How long does this game take to clear?

~40-50 Hours, ~20-25 if you rush through the mainquest

Philippo

C6v2zvTXUAA0zd0.jpg

I would say that i'd agree 100% (just like you said you agree with me lol), but after that image i can only relply:

W E W
E
W

JJShadow

Wow, just found this chip that grants you 30% HP recovery per kill, OP as fuck

Guess I should hold off on quests then. Unless it's unlocked right at the end of the game or something lol.

It's not that far in the game, right after you explore the
underground city
. Don't do like me and hold off on quests until you unlock it, I've already traversed the desert like 15 times lol

magnetic

I don't really know if I like the pod shooting mechanic. It feels kinda cheap to be able to shoot enemies from afar, but it also is a bit annoying to hold down a button when you also have so many other buttons and sticks assigned.

Holding down a button while locking on also takes no skills, whereas shooting with manual aiming takes me completely out of the melee mindset. But not shooting at all feels like I'm missing a key part of combat.

I don't really understand what the point of the shooting is. It doesn't feel good or interesting. (I just finished the desert boss battle so I'm just starting to play, though, maybe it gets more interesting later on.)

Audioboxer

Wow, just found this chip that grants you 30% HP recovery per kill, OP as fuck

It's not that far in the game, right after you explore the
underground city
. Don't do like me and hold off on quests until you unlock it, I've already traversed the desert like 15 times lol

Cool, I think I'm just about to do that. Killed the
Goliath
which ripped up the ground. Have been off doing side quests again but too much running around!

DKL

I don't really understand what the point of the shooting is. It doesn't feel good or interesting. (I just finished the desert boss battle so I'm just starting to play, though, maybe it gets more interesting later on.)

It kind of isn't really at that interesting even up until the end and I think it's mostly there for some sequences that are built for it, but also for people that have a hard time doing hand to hand combat, which is a lot more fun, but requires more execution on the part of the player since some of the patterns are pretty tricky.

Philippo

Is it possible to develop Lv4 weapons and Lv3 Pods on Route A? Feels like i'm missing something.
Also, i missed Pod B, where is it?

I feel like I might have missed something with the tutorial messages, what do the small square boxes in the status panel in the pause menu mean? I've occasionally seen one of them filled in and a small black square also shows up under the HP bar in-game too. You can see what I mean here, just under the defense stat:

Hektor

Is it possible to develop Lv4 weapons and Lv3 Pods on Route A? Feels like i'm missing something.
Also, i missed Pod B, where is it?

I just found a Pod C and thought, shit, where's that pod B LOL.

Pod B is
in the flooded city. You need to go fishing, eventually you'll catch him instead of fish

I feel like I might have missed something with the tutorial messages, what do the small square boxes in the status panel in the pause menu mean? I've occasionally seen one of them filled in and a small black square also shows up under the HP bar in-game too. You can see what I mean here, just under the defense stat:

Those are symbols for buffs if you have any active

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member

I get the no auto save. I don't fucking care. But it's offensive af that I am thrown back to the start screen instead of just starting at the beginning sequence automatically.

You can't save until after this section. Best to put gameplay on normal or easy mode. You can bump it back to hard afterwards.

Demoskinos

Route A complete. The real Nier starts here. I love the final message at the end of the credits. ITS THE MOST JAPANESE THING EVER. So formal. I love it.

Slater

Banned
I found document in the archives called Project YoRHa says that
after the events of OG Nier "the androids tried to revive humanity" while we know the only androids are Devola and Popola and we destroyed them :/

They weren't the only Androids, not even close

Top Bottom