• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NieR: Automata |OT| "I wouldn't expect too much from this game if I were you."

I really realized way too late how the plugin chip system should be optimally done, but I think this far into Route
C
I'm not too worried about redoing how I've been upgrading the chips.

Really fantastic game. Lived up to everything I adored about the first Nier and goes a whole lot more with that extra Platinum polish. I'm this far into the game and finding new weapon combos I love playing with.

A labor of love and depression all mixed into one fantastic and depressing package.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Quick question: why can I purchase more than one plug-in chip of the same kind?

Like HP Gauge chip

because they stack. if you customize and optimize your build properly, you can be OP as eff, with nothing but health chips or offensive chips or defensive buffs. They only build over a factor of two however so you can only double your current output in any direction, health, offense, defense ect

because they stack. if you customize and optimize your build properly, you can be OP as eff, with nothing but health chips or offensive chips or defensive buffs. They only build over a factor of two however so you can only double your current output in any direction, health, offense, defense ect

But store bought chips have the most expensive costs. If you want to push your build even farther you have to focus on the chips you pick up and combine wisely, which can be a huge time sink!

Inuhanyou

But store bought chips have the most expensive costs. If you want to push your build even farther you have to focus on the chips you pick up and combine wisely, which can be a huge time sink!

true, but i would say its worth it, especially in a very hard playthrough which is more about destroying enemies fast and being able to avoid everything than stacking health(since it doesnt matter)

J 0 E

You can fuse them to get greater chips of the same kind.

I get why I can stack / fuse attack / defence chips ... but a HUD / HP Gauge chip? Is there any use of stacking chips like these?

Inuhanyou

I get why I can stack / fuse attack / defence chips ... but a HUD / HP Gauge chip? Is there any use of stacking chips like these?

not point in stacking HUD chips, or buying them for that matter if you already own them. Being able to buy them is only there due to being able to sell them off to rearrange your chips for something else, only to buy the HUD back later if you want

Jiraiza

The difficulty becomes super trivial even on Hard once you start getting +6 to +8 chips. For one thing, the grind it takes to make chips that high will level you way past the story levels. And then the chips themselves give you an insane boost to your already overleveled stats.

cm osi

anyone completed the monster database? say the enchanced small sphere (axe/drill) are in the city cave in route C but i can't get them to spawn, they're always the normal version

Inuhanyou

basically, performance chips should not exist(even the temp ones) and singular stacked feature chips like slowing down time when facing projectiles or increasing movement speed should have been nerfed or only able to be equipped once without being stacked

Its way too easy to break the game even with mid range chips.

Also pod programs should have been apart of the chipset which you can only stack one at a time.

I would have streamlined the mechanics a lot more and balanced the difficulty for all the modes much differently

What weapons does everybody else roll with? I'm finding myself enjoying using the combat bracers a lot. Punching the crap out of those tin cans sure is fun. I also enjoy mixing two samurai swords together for some nice combos. Heavy swords rarely get any use due to how frenetic the action is in this game, especially compared to the first NieR where I found myself using the heavy swords more frequently since they were also useful for clearing out space for getting through the bullets enemies fired.

Tomeru

This game is really one of those things where I feel like the GIT GUD sensibility of design is in conflict with actual good game design.

The opening sequence is a good indication of this primarily because of a bunch of things:

-I'm not sure the game introduces an organic manner in which you're suppose to know that you can heal (assuming you're not playing on Very Hard or raging at OHKO on Hard) and what needs to be done in order to heal
-The game vaguely tells you that the actual game will teach you how to save, but does not indicate that this shit will happen after a 30 minute to 1 hour long sequence... so, naturally, everyone is just angry when they're booted out to the fucking main title where you have to suffer a bunch of non gameplay bullshit, like loading screens
-The game tells you that it doesn't autosave, you assume there are no checkpoints, but there actually are... and when you do experience a good checkpoint, you assume that there are more of these, but then you get hit with a completely miserable checkpoint whose design makes no sense

If anything, it's a unique experience... but I'm very weary about a lot of the game design choices despite knowing that it's suppose to be eccentric.

After learning my pod can shoot, I whisked through the tutorial and got to the double wheel boss. Evading worked well for the me to get it down to half health, but then suddenly I couldn't eveade getting hit, lol.

After getting to know the tutorial for a couple of hours - yeah, I'm gonna easy the tutorial through. Worst first impression I had in forever. Hoping the game itself is better, but that was exhausting.

Worst first impression I ever had.

J 0 E

not point in stacking HUD chips, or buying them for that matter if you already own them. Being able to buy them is only there due to being able to sell them off to rearrange your chips for something else, only to buy the HUD back later if you want

Aha
Thanks

The difficulty becomes super trivial even on Hard once you start getting +6 to +8 chips. For one thing, the grind it takes to make chips that high will level you way past the story levels. And then the chips themselves give you an insane boost to your already overleveled stats.

I'm experimenting with it atm

The are other things that you can buy that don't make sense. :p

Like some recovery items.
Like the animal bait which you have to use again if you dismount of it -___-

LotusHD

Banned
What weapons does everybody else roll with? I'm finding myself enjoying using the combat bracers a lot. Punching the crap out of those tin cans sure is fun. I also enjoy mixing two samurai swords together for some nice combos. Heavy swords rarely get any use due to how frenetic the action is in this game, especially compared to the first NieR where I found myself using the heavy swords more frequently since they were also useful for clearing out space for getting through the bullets enemies fired.

Double small swords, Spear + Heavy Sword for 2B

Double small swords, Double Bracers for A2

After learning my pod can shoot, I whisked through the tutorial and got to the double wheel boss. Evading worked well for the me to get it down to half health, but then suddenly I couldn't eveade getting hit, lol.

What do you mean you suddenly couldn't do it?

Closer Two

Which is the best way to play hard mode on a clean state or with all your OP gear after getting some endings?

I found normal too easy and hard too difficult when I started. I managed to get past the intro

Now hard mode with my late game gear and high level is way too easy. It's weird that the ship/mech sections have the enemies scaled up to my level but not the rest of the game.

JJShadow

After playing Yakuza 0 I thought I wasn't gonna find another game with such well-written and enjoyable sidequests. Boy, was I wrong, the quality is over the roof here

Also, fast travel is a real game-changer

Tomeru

What do you mean you suddenly couldn't do it?

I spammed evade like usually, but I guess it wasn't on time. My beef here is more with how nothing was really explained and whole getting thrown back to the title screen on death, more than with the gameplay itself.

Although my extensive time in the tutorial and the breaking point of learning that my pod can shoot like a craft - it highlighted it as the most reliable attack, especially during top down mode, where you can't spot a melee attack easily (as evidence with me getting through to the last boss of the tutorial on the 1st try). Melee combat just feels hit or miss to me so far.

But hey, I'm not even through the tutorial yet (took a break, will easy it tomorrow).

DKL

Melee combat just feels hit or miss to me so far.

Combat itself is pretty great, but we have been getting a wide variety of opinions regarding things like encounter design and how intrusive the RPG elements can feel with regards to damage scaling.

One issue I'm having right now is, because I'm trying to rush my first playthrough on PC (already beat the game on PS4 a while back), I'm actually severely underleveled and am unable to launch enemies into combos, which I'm assuming is happening because of my lack of power.

(I should probably buy another weapon at least lol)

Not being able to launch enemies makes the game less fun for me since my combo options are more limited and I have to assume that this is due to the ARPG design of the game.

Trickster

Do people just sell the chips used for fusing if they have a high storage usage? Seems super innefficent to try and make high level chips out of the lower level chips that have rolled a high storage usage, no?

TWILT

Banned
Route C Spoilers
Holy shit, poor Pascal nooooo :(
Chose to delete his memories. Didn't have the heart to kill him...

Started route C last night
and holy shit, intro credits, now?
Got until after the part where you get infected, ran too far in the wrong direction as 9S and got an ending...all without saving. I think I got trolled :p

Squire

Banned
Clearing out side quests is going well. Did "YoRHa Deserters", "Jean-Paul's Melancholy", "Wandering Couple", and "Stamp Collecting". Anyone remember when I can do the quest for
6O
?

Philippo

Route A
Wow that
Factory Cult was bananas, it's so unsettling after you got to see a couple of group of machines trying to form some reasonable communities

Also that scene with
Eve mourning Adam was sick! Cult of the Watchers
here we come!

Moaradin

Clearing out side quests is going well. Did "YoRHa Deserters", "Jean-Paul's Melancholy", "Wandering Couple", and "Stamp Collecting". Anyone remember when I can do the quest for
6O
?

Think you can do that shortly after the
Forest section
. Just make sure you check all the emails. She sends you one and the quest starts with her asking you to
repair terminals.

DKL

I've been playing hard mode, and thinking about it I should be playing Very hard. A goddamn Moose at lvl20 one shots me anyways.

On Hard, you at least have the luxury of maybe getting the chance to heal.

Everything on Very Hard, short of some things (like failed
hack attempts, but you can only take one hit in the actual hacking mode on Very Hard and this can secretly become some of the most difficult content in the game
), will kill you... there's a couple of sequences that become annoying because you can't tell what the hell a state of getting hit constitutes like some stuff in Route C.

kswiston

Steamspy has Nier Automata at 74k currently, after two days of tracking.

Steamspy is never very accurate at this point, but based on the patterns I have seen in other games close to launch, I'd guess that this points to 200k+ in a week or so when the numbers start to even out. Maybe higher.

Awesome start for the sequel to a game that wasn't on PC (and that few people played).

lmimmfn

this is just stupidly difficult with no saves, 2 hours and im still back at the start.
How the hell do i learn the pattern of the first boss if i die straight away, start at the start, spend 30 mins getting to boss only to find my new perceived new strategy doesnt work, bah,

Jebus, i like difficult games but ffs, dont take the piss

I would rather never play it again than put it on easy.

So I finished the game last night (E) and thought the entire game was impressively clever in the variety of ways it delivered the plot and overall character development. Some of the best moments of the game were during text exchanges and the super simple hacking elements.

Ultimately I didn't find the game as impactful as others in this thread seem to have, at least from an emotional standpoint. However I never played much the original Nier so this was my first Yoko game. Overall I was very impressed and I'll definitely be keeping an eye out for whatever comes next.

That said, I think the game had alot of issues that wore me down over time. Combat felt good but was shallow at best. Most enemies were just not interesting to fight and by the end I was OP enough (even on Hard) to steam roll everything.
Funnily enough I don't normally enjoy shoot em up style games a great deal, but the flight suit and hacking segments were probably my favorite elements even if they were a bit mindless.
but
Side quests qere 50/50 for me. There were some that were great and included plenty of interesting back story and others that added nothing except busy work.

Ultimately though I think the open world was my biggest issue. As interesting as it was to explore the first time through, the layout and item placement was a bore. Also, coming off the back of Horizon it was also boring to look at - even taking into account the bleak atmosphere of the game. I had the same issue with Transformers (which was colourful!) so it's probably a Platinum thing.

Very clever game, really happy with it.

True Fire

this is just stupidly difficult with no saves, 2 hours and im still back at the start.
How the hell do i learn the pattern of the first boss if i die straight away, start at the start, spend 30 mins getting to boss only to find my new perceived new strategy doesnt work, bah,

Jebus, i like difficult games but ffs, dont take the piss

I would rather never play it again than put it on easy.

Play on Normal, Hard is meant for experts who've mastered the combat. R1 to shoot (use this constantly), R2 to dodge. Down Circle to quick heal.

The opening really shouldn't be that difficult, I beat the demo blind in 30 minutes.

Top Bottom