• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NieR: Automata |OT| "I wouldn't expect too much from this game if I were you."

LotusHD

Banned
this is just stupidly difficult with no saves, 2 hours and im still back at the start.
How the hell do i learn the pattern of the first boss if i die straight away, start at the start, spend 30 mins getting to boss only to find my new perceived new strategy doesnt work, bah,

Jebus, i like difficult games but ffs, dont take the piss

I would rather never play it again than put it on easy.

Good thing there's this thing called Normal mode lol

this is just stupidly difficult with no saves, 2 hours and im still back at the start.
How the hell do i learn the pattern of the first boss if i die straight away, start at the start, spend 30 mins getting to boss only to find my new perceived new strategy doesnt work, bah,

Jebus, i like difficult games but ffs, dont take the piss

I would rather never play it again than put it on easy.

What are you struggling with? Is it the melee combat?
If so, you can bash dodge all day long to avoid damage. Between that and spamming gatling gun with your POD you should be able to take it out albeit slowly.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Well I'm stuck in the canyon because I can't make the jump back past the waterfall. It was a fun game while it lasted.

Mobile Suit Gooch

Grundle: The Awakening
17353360_1873259932886497_9079323975463204722_n.jpg

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
hmm my memory fails me, a little hint?

what?
I'm being dumb. I'm on route C and can't get back over the waterfall next to the big rope bridge to the shopping centre. I could reload but I should be able to make this

Arkeband

Banned
This game is really one of those things where I feel like the GIT GUD sensibility of design is in conflict with actual good game design.

The opening sequence is a good indication of this primarily because of a bunch of things:

-I'm not sure the game introduces an organic manner in which you're suppose to know that you can heal (assuming you're not playing on Very Hard or raging at OHKO on Hard) and what needs to be done in order to heal
-The game vaguely tells you that the actual game will teach you how to save, but does not indicate that this shit will happen after a 30 minute to 1 hour long sequence... so, naturally, everyone is just angry when they're booted out to the fucking main title where you have to suffer a bunch of non gameplay bullshit, like loading screens
-The game tells you that it doesn't autosave, you assume there are no checkpoints, but there actually are... and when you do experience a good checkpoint, you assume that there are more of these, but then you get hit with a completely miserable checkpoint whose design makes no sense

If anything, it's a unique experience... but I'm very weary about a lot of the game design choices despite knowing that it's suppose to be eccentric.

Or you could do the thing every game in history has expected players to do and press all of your buttons or look at the control layout to see your down arrow is how you open your items and heal, or the category in the start menu that says RECOVERY.

In addition you are equipped with a save point chip by default that gives you an on screen indicator that says SAVING POSSIBLE (or whatever) and the map has a large white radius around each save point where you don't even need to be interacting with it.

This isn't "git gud", it's basic competency.

cm osi

I'm being dumb. I'm on route C and can't get back over the waterfall next to the big rope bridge to the shopping centre. I could reload but I should be able to make this

that jump should be doable if you do the spinning pod launch (pod shooting + jump in mid-air)

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster

Fucking hell... 71 hours in and I've never done that... That whole episode was so traumatic to me I never went back...

To be honest, I find this game a lot darker and bleaker than its predecessor. To the point its actually starting to wear on me a bit. The overall tone feels closer to the original Drakengard than anything Yoko has done in the intervening years.

lmimmfn

Play on Normal, Hard is meant for experts who've mastered the combat. R1 to shoot (use this constantly), R2 to dodge. Down Circle to quick heal.

The opening really shouldn't be that difficult, I beat the demo blind in 30 minutes.
lol, im playing it on normal, ill try getting used to the dodge and quick heal, i mean i make it from start to end of level boss, die, get to boss, die, rinse/repeat, and i would prefer not to look some strategy on youtube. Its a bit much at least not giving a save before the boss, i mean cmon, lol, ill get it eventually but jesus 30mins per try is a bit much.

What are you struggling with? Is it the melee combat?
If so, you can bash dodge all day long to avoid damage. Between that and spamming gatling gun with your POD you should be able to take it out albeit slowly.
This, i need to try this.

LotusHD

Banned
lol, im playing it on normal, ill try getting used to the dodge and quick heal, i mean i make it from start to end of level boss, die, get to boss, die, rinse/repeat, and i would prefer not to look some strategy on youtube. Its a bit much at least not giving a save before the boss, i mean cmon, lol, ill get it eventually but jesus 30mins per try is a bit much.

Oh well if it's Normal, then not really much to say. No Youtube strategy needed lol

Is there no way to travel quicker earlier in the game? It's annoying running around everywhere.

You can unlock fast travel eventually.

LotusHD

Banned
So should I sell my duplicate plug in chips that have high space costs? And what do the diamonds on some of them mean?

I dunno, if you don't need them, then maybe? Up to you.

The ones with diamonds mean that's the most optimal version of that chip, i.e. it takes up the least amount of space.

Also I'm sure it's been asked a million times, but what's safe to sell?

Stuff that says it can be exchanged for money.

cm osi

Fucking hell... 71 hours in and I've never done that... That whole episode was so traumatic to me I never went back...

To be honest, I find this game a lot darker and bleaker than its predecessor. To the point its actually starting to wear on me a bit. The overall tone feels closer to the original Drakengard than anything Yoko has done in the intervening years.

it's the only yoko taro game
with a good ending!

Also I'm sure it's been asked a million times, but what's safe to sell?

do not sell materials if you want to do every boss, since you'll need to have all weapons upgraded

Arkeband

Banned
Thank you thank you thank you

If you're in C there's also a pod program that makes these jumps cake:

Go back to the beginning of the Factory near where the game starts and there's a Missile program on top of a shipping crate - it launches you forward and you can charge it up to 3 times if you hold down the button (and have three pods)

DKL

Or you could do the thing every game in history has expected players to do and press all of your buttons or look at the control layout to see your down arrow is how you open your items and heal, or the category in the start menu that says RECOVERY.

In addition you are equipped with a save point chip by default that gives you an on screen indicator that says SAVING POSSIBLE (or whatever) and the map has a large white radius around each save point where you don't even need to be interacting with it.

This isn't "git gud", it's basic competency.

They have a vague tutorial that kind of introduces you to the combat controls (can't say for sure since I think they got rid of this on Hard and Very Hard?), but I don't actually remember there being some kind of quick in-game tutorial that teaches you how the inventory stuff works.

(I mean, at that point, you might as well omit the combat tutorial prompt and tell people to go to controller config anyway... and it's possible that people got kinda bodied coming in from the demo because you started with the auto-heal chip in that one)

Also SAVING POSSIBLE comes after a checkpoint that is like 30 minutes to 1 hour long. People going in blind are not put on notice of exactly how long this damn checkpoint is, so it can frustrating when you die and you're just booted out to the main menu where you get to enjoy loading screens.

It's really weird that I comment on this stuff given that I've actually beaten the beginnings of Route A and Route B on very hard (Route A is a bitch since they have that opening sequence too on top of what was in the demo), but I'm trying to see it from the perspective of players that are not necessarily very good at games like these.

Some of the design is really rough. I love the game, but I'm willing to admit this.

EdmondD

Route B
Before you go into the desert a cutscene plays. So, the Cult of the Watchers are the ones who gave machines sentience? All the machines are infected by Red Eye disease that's why they started going crazy and eating people at the end of route A? Holy shit. Eve is obviously infected by Red Eye.

beejee

Neo Member
Jesus I spent about an hour and a half last night trying to beat the E3 boss on Hard difficulty. The damn
dead androids kept hacking me and her final under dress reveal + death leaps kept demolishing me.
It was definitely really frustrating at parts but I still really enjoyed it, felt so satisfying to be able to beat it on Hard.

Also, the music that plays in
the machine village
is so good. It kind of reminds me of the Yoshi Story theme song with the kid's voices.

This game definitely is something special, glad I'm finally able to play my first Yoko Taro game!

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Route B
Before you go into the desert a cutscene plays. So, the Cult of the Watchers are the ones who gave machines sentience? All the machines are infected by Red Eye disease that's why they started going crazy and eating people at the end of route A? Holy shit. Eve is obviously infected by Red Eye.

keep playing.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
it's the only yoko taro game
with a good ending!

True, but...
when you start re-running areas from the chapter select in order to clear up missed weapons/intel/quests and whatnot, the overwhelming bleakness of the world kind of sneakily starts to work on you. Especially as the game does such a good job of humanizing the machine lifeforms... very few games trade in existential despair like this does. Its heavy.

Demoskinos

Question I finished route A and am now on route B when I was on route A
I got to the last Father Servo quest and then didn't finish it because holy shit I did almost no damage to him.
Question being... will I get a chance to finish that quest? Or is my chance to beat it just lost to the ether now?

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
I got to the last Father Servo quest and then didn't finish it because holy shit I did almost no damage to him.
Question being... will I get a chance to finish that quest? Or is my chance to beat it just lost to the ether now?

keep playing, eventually you will be able to go back and do anything you missed, eventually

If you dont finish a quest it will restart on the next playthrough. Nothing is missable.

KingKong

I can sell stuff like old books and severed cables and crap, right?

It tells me which stuff I should just sell but doesnt seem to make a distinction between crafting materials and what seems to be junk

Wait, self-destructing removes your skirt?!

Oh man, this generic enemy is so hard guess I tried my best but- *hammers on self destruct button*

There is also a reusable key item you can buy from
Emil's
Shop that when she uses it she does a change behind a curtain into the leotard. Much nicer than self-destruct and it stays that way through saves and
checkpoint travel

Top Bottom