• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NieR: Automata |OT| "I wouldn't expect too much from this game if I were you."

Dunan

So I've got this artbook and just can't resist deciphering he rest of the code hidden in it, even if it might mean spoiling some of the game, because the thrill of being The First To Read It outweighs that.

And fortunately without context it doesn't feel like anything is spoiled -- though I may feel differently when I get to the end of the game.

At the very end of the artbook there are what looks like those Magic Eye things that were popular a decade or so ago (someone tell me if anything is hidden in them; I don't have the stereo vision to see Magic Eye). Along with that is a bunch of
hexadecimal numbers. Reading that as UTF-8, we get :

ワタシタチハチイサクヨワイシカシワタシタチハタスウデムテキデアルアンドロイドヲホロボスマデワタシタチハタタカイツヅケル

オロカナリシアンドロイドオロカナリシエイリアンオロカナリシジンルイヨ

ワタシタチハオオゼイデアルトドウジニヒトツデアルワタシタチハエイエンノセイメイデアル

This says (and boy does Japanese written in all katakana look creepy sometimes):

we are small and weak we will continue to fight the numerous and powerful androids until they are destroyed

foolish androids foolish aliens foolish humans

we are legion and at the same time we are one we are eternal life

Man, I love Nier. They sure do know how to hide secret stuff!

Weiss

Banned
Zero Punctuation has reviewed NieR Automata.

He wasn't a fan, though he seemed to play it through to the end and admitted that several moments hit him hard. He also seemed invested enough in the story to actually try to analyze it, but he docked the combat for loading him with auto-heals and sidequests.

I admit to pulling a round of "um actually" when he said the original NieR led off of Drakengard 2.

Jiraiza

So I've got this artbook and just can't resist deciphering he rest of the code hidden in it, even if it might mean spoiling some of the game, because the thrill of being The First To Read It outweighs that.

And fortunately without context it doesn't feel like anything is spoiled -- though I may feel differently when I get to the end of the game.

At the very end of the artbook there are what looks like those Magic Eye things that were popular a decade or so ago (someone tell me if anything is hidden in them; I don't have the stereo vision to see Magic Eye). Along with that is a bunch of
hexadecimal numbers. Reading that as UTF-8, we get :

ワタシタチハチイサクヨワイシカシワタシタチハタスウデムテキデアルアンドロイドヲホロボスマデワタシタチハタタカイツヅケル

オロカナリシアンドロイドオロカナリシエイリアンオロカナリシジンルイヨ

ワタシタチハオオゼイデアルトドウジニヒトツデアルワタシタチハエイエンノセイメイデアル

This says (and boy does Japanese written in all katakana look creepy sometimes):

we are small and weak we will continue to fight the numerous and powerful androids until they are destroyed

foolish androids foolish aliens foolish humans

we are legion and at the same time we are one we are eternal life

Man, I love Nier. They sure do know how to hide secret stuff!

Getting mine today, so I'm interested to see what's in there.

EdmondD

Thanks for translating. Holy crap this is awesome. It confirms my speculation and I am very happy about that.

Tubie

Finished the game last night, and it's hard to put into words what an incredible experience this game was. This will definitely be one of my favorite games of this generation and perhaps ever.

Route C really is something special.

Demoskinos

I'm pretty far into route C and..part of me doesn't want to play further not because I'm bored or don't like the game but....I don't want this to be over. :(

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Yup.

I went to bed depressed cause the game was over.

I've been thinking about it all day.

see thats my problem, I WANT that feeling, and these vanilla ass sidequests in route B are preventing me to get to it lol >_<

VRMN

Just do them.
I'm still in Route A right after the sidequest cutoff. (They should have communicated that...at all, honestly.) I did almost all of them anyway unless there was some way to get underneath the factory with the elevators unaccessible.

There were more than a couple that made me go "oh Taro, you bastard" at the end. The treasure hunt in the castle comes to mind.

Oh man, on Route B, but just finished the wandering couple quest, I didn't realise there was a cutoff point last time...
what the fuck man! What a resolution. I genuinely felt bad before too
. This is my first Taro game but I'm never missing what this guy does again, absolutely brilliant game. It just subverts at every turn. Not always drastically, it there's always something that makes me pause for a sec. Brilliant.

I'm still in Route A right after the sidequest cutoff. (They should have communicated that...at all, honestly.) I did almost all of them anyway unless there was some way to get underneath the factory with the elevators unaccessible.

There were more than a couple that made me go "oh Taro, you bastard" at the end. The treasure hunt in the castle comes to mind.

THEYHADITCOMING.THEYHADITCOMING.THEYHADITCOMING.

Alo0oy

Banned
Can someone explain ending Y to me since it's missable?

If I let Emil self-destruct and get his ending, do I get the ability to fight him again and finish his quest? The wiki makes it seem that I have to make an earlier manual save, in which case the letter Y won't be on my previous save file anyway, which defeats the purpose of doing the ending.

Basically, can I get "Y" in my save file AND finish his quest?

Talking about it is already confusing me lol.

If I let Emil self-destruct and get his ending, do I get the ability to fight him again and finish his quest? The wiki makes it seem that I have to make an earlier manual save, in which case the letter Y won't be on my previous save file anyway, which defeats the purpose of doing the ending.

Saving saves your current state. Endings are unaffected. So as long as you get the ending, it'll be on your file no matter what.

OniBaka

Yes after the ending you can do it for real next time.

Alo0oy

Banned
Sorry for being dense, but I'm still confused lol.

The steps I'd need to do would be:

- Standard quick save before
fighting Emil
-
Fight Emil.
- Get Ending Y (this is where it gets confusing, the game auto saves after every ending).
- Load the game, and choose "start game".

If I do the above, the game would take me to my quick save and not auto save, correct? So it ignores the auto save?

Labolas

Again I can say how awesome is A2. Upgrade the big sword, now it looks like Raiden's sword from MGR. And holy shit, I just fought a mecha baby Shin Godzilla. He literally did this:
tumblr_ohhhz83OSz1s2jfn0o3_500.gif
Didn't know Taro was a fan?

He wasn't a fan, though he seemed to play it through to the end and admitted that several moments hit him hard. He also seemed invested enough in the story to actually try to analyze it, but he docked the combat for loading him with auto-heals and sidequests.

I admit to pulling a round of "um actually" when he said the original NieR led off of Drakengard 2.

Not surprised he isn't a big Platinum fan anyways.

Weiss

Banned
So was that bit in this thread about Taro at PAX wanting to remaster Drakengard and NieR a pipe dream or did that actually happen?

Astral

I'm at work and I can't stop thinking about this game. BECOME AS GODS is definitely my favorite part so far. I left off at the amusement park in Route B.

So was that bit in this thread about Taro at PAX wanting to remaster Drakengard and NieR a pipe dream or did that actually happen?

Nier Remastered with Gestalt/Replicant option and Platinum reworking the gameplay would be ideal.

Drakengard would need a full remake, hopefully being rebuilt in to something with gameplay and graphics more in line with the ambition of the story.

cm osi

farming materials end game. Any good place to farm sturdy socket?

i think
emil
sells lots of materials you need. he has pretty much 3 shops, one near the desert (chips) one running around buildings where you find the gold robots (low tier materials) and one near the resistance camp with high tier materials. to make him change location you have to stop him, talk and then respawn

Razmos

But auto-heal is an optional chip?

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Route B

how the fuck do you get to this marker in the tall building near the
City Ruins: Near Factory
save point (its also near the
race sidequest
), from the 3d map it looks like its near the ground but I cant for the life of me find anything on any floor.

OniBaka

Route B

how the fuck do you get to this marker in the tall building near the
City Ruins: Near Factory
save point (its also near the
race sidequest
), from the 3d map it looks like its near the ground but I cant for the life of me find anything on any floor.

Think it's on the second or third floor of that big building.

Dumb question time

Just booted up the game and it is asking me to input a name. Is that name just for the save profile?

Yes only save file

I'm pretty far into route C and..part of me doesn't want to play further not because I'm bored or don't like the game but....I don't want this to be over. :(

I finished it last night and I definitely don't feel like it's over! I've been trying hard to avoid spoilers, but it's pretty clear that I still have endings to unlock. I'm looking forward to cleaning up and replaying it too!

My boyfriend has been teasing me about crying every time I play this game. I'm not sure I've gotten weepy during every play session, but the game has absolutely gotten some tears out of me. It's one of the most overwhelming video game experiences I've had.

Baalzebup

Sorry for being dense, but I'm still confused lol.

The steps I'd need to do would be:

- Standard quick save before
fighting Emil
-
Fight Emil.
- Get Ending Y (this is where it gets confusing, the game auto saves after every ending).
- Load the game, and choose "start game".

If I do the above, the game would take me to my quick save and not auto save, correct? So it ignores the auto save?
Getting ending Y is figuratively adding a checkbox for "got ending Y" and nothing else. That is the only change made to the save file, much like with all the other endings. The game does not auto-save any actual progress, ever. Your continue picks up from where you last saved, just as any other time.

Yes, for the ones you didn't finish they reset.
Does this also apply for
Emil's Memories
? I got the
Elevator Key in Route A
but the quest log has it cancelled since I never used it before the
Missle Defense Mission
. Im now on C and still unable to use it. Did I fuck up?

Also, protip for anyone who is struggling with the Speed Star missions, repeat dashing IS faster, and also for the 3rd race Speed Salve helped me eke out that extra 1sec I needed.

Top Bottom