• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NieR: Automata |OT| "I wouldn't expect too much from this game if I were you."

Astral

I can already tell these locked chests are gonna annoy me. I now know how to open them but hell if I remember where they all are.

Shahed

I can already tell these locked chests are gonna annoy me. I now know how to open them but hell if I remember where they all are.

you can get a chip that displays chests on the minimap. I bought it from shop somewhere but can't remember the exact location

silva1991

I just couldn't focus
on the two guys conversation while they were fighting me to death
I guess I'm gonna re watch this one on youtube.

you can get a chip that displays chests on the minimap. I bought it from shop somewhere but can't remember the exact location

I was able to buy the chip at the Resistance Camp on the second playthrough, and I think you can also get it at the Bunker?

I'm having the same problem, Astral! With my first playthrough, all I was seeing was chests I couldn't open, and now that I can open them, I'm barely stumbling into any of them!

Astral

It's actually not bad at all. Grab a mini map item chip and just collect as you progress the story

I was able to buy the chip at the Resistance Camp on the second playthrough, and I think you can also get it at the Bunker?

I'm having the same problem, Astral! With my first playthrough, all I was seeing was chests I couldn't open, and now that I can open them, I'm barely stumbling into any of them!

Oooh so there's a chip for items on the map. I just assumed I already had all the system chips and didnt buy anything else. Thanks guys.

Menome

Finally started the game last night and have done the demo-mission and two main ones.

Question regarding the red side-quest dots: Are all the dots I can currently see available to traverse to in some manner, or are some in blocked-off locations to uncover later on?

The map is...less than helpful in showing even a rough path to them or which areas are currently inaccessible.

Finished the main endings today, and got a couple of other endings. What a ride. I didn't enjoy Nier enough to finish it, and i kind of regret it now. Glad i watched the videos in the OP though, the story made way more sense since i did. Love reading the documents in the game too, really love the world that they built. Not going to lie though, once i finished the endings i wanted to finish i went to the trophy shop and bought the trophies i had yet to earn, since i want to move on to the next game for now. Might go back to this in a while though because i missed 4 side quests somewhere.

Route C spoilers

The whole thing with Pascals village might be one of the saddest things i've seen in a game. Just heartbreaking :(

Shahed

Finally started the game last night and have done the demo-mission and two main ones.

Question regarding the red side-quest dots: Are all the dots I can currently see available to traverse to in some manner, or are some in blocked-off locations to uncover later on?

The map is...less than helpful in showing even a rough path to them or which areas are currently inaccessible.

You can't get them all starightaway. You can get pretty much all of them though. Just not the ones beneath the Factory

I pretty much did all of them the 1st go round. Or at least the ones I saw. Thank god. That took me 20hrs alone.

Same for me. I did most first time around and I'm pretty glad I did. Made Route B goso much faster. Especially since I wasn't as big a fan of playing
as 9S. Hacking got old quickly.and I missed the lack of combo functionality compared to 2B

Died during the defense segment in the intro of the second playthrough and now I have to get this fucking barrel and play through these damn tunnels for the 4th time fuck. Haha alternate ending text instead of a checkpoint. Garbage, came into playthrough with no healing items.

Already so tired of
hacking

So... There's a
lock-on feature in hacking
...that I beat Route B not knowing about...

Fuck me.

giphy.gif

EdmondD

Savoring this game like a fine wine. 57 hours in the middle of Route C. I'm making good progress though 88% sidequest completion, 94% weapons, and 94% pod programs.

jonjonaug

Ending D/E won't give you much, if anything. Doing the two secret bosses and going through the cavern a couple times will give you some more unit data, but it tends to top out at around 93% or so. Getting to 95% for the sidequest in Route C/D involves reloading over and over again in certain areas hoping that a red version of an enemy will spawn instead of the normal spawns. It's a huge pain in the butt.

I just bought the fishing achievement. Already got 100% fish in the original Nier, not going through that again with an even worse fishing minigame.

(This was originally the last thing I wrote, but since my post got so big and I am hoping someone who has played both of the games can help me out, I moved this part up to the top):

I'm somewhat conflicted, since I want to continue running through route B to get to the new stuff, but I was also planning on playing at least one route of the original Nier after route A of Automata, as I had seen someone suggest breaking up the repetition this way. I had also planned to play all of Nier before doing any of Automata, so I'm not sure whether I should stop the train now to go back to the rougher experience of the first. I'm mostly worried that even more of Nier will be spoiled if I continue in Automata, can anyone who's played both give some advice? Here's the gist of what I know of the original Nier (major spoilers for that story follow):
Nier is not as good as he thinks, and both sides of the conflict have good and bad sides, I'm almost positive that the game explicitly make the player feel like a monster for killing the shadows. There is meta-stuff going on with erasing your save to revert things in at least one of the endings (pretty sure it is Yonah dying that prompts this, since I was watching a GDC talk by Yoko Taro and he seemed to spoil this). Nier in the future may be some kind of copy (Replicant/Gestalt?) of the Nier from the beginning of the game, same goes for Yonah I assume. Emil, Devola and Popola are still around in Automata so they obviously survive whatever happens. The final end of Nier leads into the alien invasion. The Shadowlord has some kind of connection to Nier (but I haven't even seen or heard of the Shadowlord in couple of hours I've played the game itself). In at least one of the endings, I heard something about all Replicants dying? Except I don't know what Replicants are (though I speculate that they are all of the humans after the 1000 year time skip) based on what I may have heard about Nier himself being a Replicant.
Without confirming my speculations or commenting too much on them, can anyone tell me if there are still more twists and turns from the original Nier that would be spoiled if I played the rest of Automata before it? I really want to experience as much as I can of the first Nier for myself, and as you can see I have already been spoiled on a great many things so I want to avoid spoiling anything else. At the same time, I am worried I'll pick up too much information on Automata if I keep waiting to finish it, so I'm at an impasse, especially because I have very little free time, so if I choose Nier 1 it'll probably be at least a month if not more before I can get back to Automata.

(Back to the original start of my post):
So finished route A last night and since I had left off the night before just moments before the final boss, I decided to jump right into B. Spoilers for those who haven't beaten A/started B below:

I thought that ending A was a bit underwhelming, for one thing I expected more Earth shattering events to occur due to the way Eve was letting loose. I'm betting that more crazy stuff happens later, just expected a little more of a climactic fight, though it was one of my favorites so far regardless. It had a good challenge on Normal difficulty, I find the balance between Normal and Hard is oftentimes not quite there so I liked that the fight wasn't too easy on Normal (since I usually have to turn off Hard during bosses).

I also thought that things rushed to their conclusions just a bit too quick, would have liked more time between the factory section and the end. In a way the factory felt more climactic because it didn't really pop out of nowhere, and the spherical boss was really cool to fight in the darkness.

There is clearly something more going on than meets the eye with 2B and 9S, I have to wonder about 2B saying "it always ends like this", and unfortunately just by virtue of knowing about how important the other endings are to the story, it seems pretty clear that they have some awareness of a loop occurring. Aside from the physical destruction of the city, it seems like most characters could be "rebooted" with a backup copy of their selves and continue on like nothing happened.

Anyways, enjoying 9S' unique perspective on things, and the contrast between his and 2B's operators is amusing. Mostly I find the restriction of combat capability to be a bit annoying, but I understand that they wanted 9S to rely more on shooting and hacking as probably as a means to emphasize his natural support role to 2B. The main thing that propelled me to get all of the way back to the mothership part was seeing the small little new story details, as they've been interesting to shed some new light on things.

Spoilers for deeper into route B (still 1/3 or 1/2), but with some speculation and information I (think) I know about later revelations, so don't proceed unless you've beaten E I guess (for those who have, obviously please do not confirm this speculation):
Some people in this thread noted that the robot that Simone was trying to get to love her looked a bit like Jean-Paul, but I think another's suggestion that it could be the robot who warns of "danger, junk ahead" just before the rollercoaster is an interesting one as well. I was also expecting Jean-Paul's name to be different as I had heard the reason his name is censored when 9S speaks it in route A is that for some reason his name is different to different people?

I was too tired to notice the girl at the end of the Adam & Eve fight in the mothership (since it was at about 3:00am), but when reading through this thread I saw someone point her out. Interesting, since I watched summaries of Drakengard 1, 2 and 3, and since I have also unfortunately seen a thumbnail of Nier Automata with what looks to be a bunch of copies of this girl (and having observing the similarity between those copies and Manah/1 from Drakengard 1 and 3) I have to suspect that the watchers have something to do with them. Obviously no confirmations please, just something I'm speculating on.

The end credits song was really good, it had more impact than when they first performed it back in 2015 or 2016, and I especially appreciate the English language version more now (compared to the Emi Evans version I had previously listened to more).

Chase17

So I started to play the game while it was installing, but there was no save point before the spot where it makes you wait to finish downloading.

Thank goodness for rest mode lol

Well fuck.

I defeated the third
golden stubby
only for the game to crash before I could save. Also, I had the same bug during the battle as when I fought Servo, where movement would stop working properly. I wonder if it is some kind of memory leak issue or what the fuck is going on

But where? Unless there are super rare ones somewhere. I found the subterranean area

Iunno, I'm honestly not gonna complete those things so I didn't look into it much.

I love the way Data Freak 2 starts.

"Here's a new mission."
"Wait, why-"
MISSION ACCEPTED
"Hey, I didn't even get a chance to refuse it!"

But where? Unless there are super rare ones somewhere. I found the subterranean area

I found lots of rare ones at the sunken city

Check if you have the following:

Some kind of huge shark
Mechanical version of said shark
Swordfish
Mechanical version of swordfish
Some other huge fish which I won't even attempt to spell
Machine lifefoem head
Twoface

Maybe forgetting one or two too

I found the larger fish more commonly deeper into the area (as in away from the sewers where you enter)

I have 75% fish completion and I'm probably not even halfway through route A. Last thing in the story I did was
visiting the space ship in the crater

I found lots of rare ones at the sunken city

Check if you have the following:

Some kind of huge shark
Mechanical version of said shark
Swordfish
Mechanical version of swordfish
Some other huge fish which I won't even attempt to spell
Machine lifefoem head
Twoface

Maybe forgetting one or two too

I found the larger fish more commonly deeper into the area (as in away from the sewers where you enter)

I have 75% fish completion and I'm probably not even halfway through route A. Last thing in the story I did was
visiting the space ship in the crater

I'm missing half of those. Thanks

My suggestion is to finish Route B and then start C. I don't think you will be disappointed. Play some of the begining of Route C and stop. Go back to Nier. Do ALL of the endings. Enjoy an amazing experience. Go back to Automata.

Alright, thank you. I suppose your reasoning for this unorthodox method would probably count as spoilers, right? Then I don't need any more explanation I guess, though considering how much people hype route C, I'm worried I will be unable to stop myself once I start it. Route B seems a lot more natural of a stopping point because of how low-key it is, but I suppose one reason you are probably suggesting to stop after the beginning of C is so I can get some of the story revelations I was craving in A before putting the game down for a while? Still seems like it'd be tough to stop, but I think I'll try this.

Thanks again for your input.

Airan

Yeah ok, Route C has some pretty brutal moments in the story so far. I'm pretty emotionally exhausted. Gotta soldier on tomorrow.

EdmondD

Alright, thank you. I suppose your reasoning for this unorthodox method would probably count as spoilers, right? Then I don't need any more explanation I guess, though considering how much people hype route C, I'm worried I will be unable to stop myself once I start it. Route B seems a lot more natural of a stopping point because of how low-key it is, but I suppose one reason you are probably suggesting to stop after the beginning of C is so I can get some of the story revelations I was craving in A before putting the game down for a while? Still seems like it'd be tough to stop, but I think I'll try this.

Thanks again for your input.

Not necessarily spoilers I just want you to experience some of the awesomeness of Route C before you put the game down. Even if you choose to finish Automata and then play Nier you will be fine but I truly think the game is enriched by having played the previous games.

Samikaze

In reality, there's only 1 twist in Automata I saw coming because I played the first NieR, which I played twice and spent hours reading Grimoire Nier to know all the story.
They really do feel like self-contained, but connected stories.

If you follow the other poster's suggestion, you'll pass that twist anyways, and playing in their suggested way still won't ruin the ending to NieR for you.

Not necessarily spoilers I just want you to experience some of the awesomeness of Route C before you put the game down. Even if you choose to finish Automata and then play Nier you will be fine but I truly think the game is enriched by having played the previous games.

Alright, got it. I do want to lock in the rest of the "missing-link" between the Drakengard games and Automata, so I'll try to stop myself after the beginning of route C. I am looking forward to seeing what everyone is talking about...

Edit:
In reality, there's only 1 twist in Automata I saw coming because I played the first NieR, which I played twice and spent hours reading Grimoire Nier to know all the story.
They really do feel like self-contained, but connected stories.

If you follow the other poster's suggestion, you'll pass that twist anyways, and playing in their suggested way still won't ruin the ending to NieR for you.

Hmm, so there's a twist I won't notice is a twist? But I have to presume passing something like that might make me more on the lookout for something to connect it to in Nier, right? Since you agree with EdmondD that it's fine, then it probably won't be an issue, just not totally sure yet..

Eklesp

Need to detach a bit from this game now. I was in the iPhone thread and someone asked a question about their 6S and I stared at it way too long wondering which character they were talking about.

Finished ending E. Man, what a fantastic game.

Ending C-E spoilers:
It's mindblowing how everything was hinted so well in the hole game, like 2B being 2E. Either in the Amnesia sidequest, the subtle comment by Emil regarding her or her final words in route A.

Second route down, that was a lot of repeat for not much gain but hey that preview looked like the real deal.
I dug the seamless integration of the hacking mechanic.

Top Bottom