• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NieR: Automata |OT| "I wouldn't expect too much from this game if I were you."

Hektor

Got my Soundtrack, blessed Amazon.

I totally forgot i don't have a disc drive in my PC anymore, how do i rip the music to my harddrive now? ;_;

Lumine

Is it safe to buy this on a GTX780? Or should I wait for a patch first? I want to play something new today and this has my attention. Never played the first game though. Also does anyone know if there's a store offering it cheaper? I see greenmangaming selling it for 45 euro. My conscious is telling me to wait 'till it's cheaper and patched, but I don't know if I can restrain myself!

Exentryk

Man, the feels just hit me, and it's not even a quest, just general NPCs. Route C General NPC Spoilers
You know the pair of friends in Pascal's village one of whom was tired to carrying the other friend and weren't talking anymore? Well, in Route C, they make up with each other, and one says he agreed to only carry the friend 3 times, while the other friend who doesn't have arms said he should think about giving his friend some oil for his arms. Just looking at these guys, plus that village music in the background
... damn it :'[

Edit: These

AllenShrz

Finished all the way. 7/10

A little color in the game could have helped.

The fighting became monotonous after a while and since all the drive for me was the story replaying some parts did not help.

The music was really really good.

Gbraga

For crit build, just use Ancient Overlord. Pipe's damage varies a lot, but it does have high stun buff at level 4 which is nice.

Will do on another playthrough, then. Crit Builds are so much fun.

Honestly, rushing this game in any way or form is basically just asking for coming up unsatisfied at the end. While the sidequests are mechanically speaking average at best and rarely have anything interesting going for them gameplay-wise, they are usually very important in fleshing out the characters and the world they inhabit, especially if you take the time to read/listen and think about what is going on.

The game asks you to think, to pick up some relatively subtle stuff and actually draw conclusions from them after you are presented with new information later on. Rushing will lessen the emotional impact, is likely to leave you confused about X or Y as you have less material to work with and you are likely to miss some important moments and that aren't even classified as side quests or pieces of intel. One little voice message in route C, for example, is very easy to miss, but it is one of the most emotional moments the game has to offer.

I didn't even finish Route A yet, but I'll already say I agree. Even the fish descriptions have a ton of cool world building stuff. The mechanical fish ones are fantastic. Both gives us insight into the aliens' tactics to fight mankind when the war first started, but also tells a beautiful story about how nature always finds balance.

It's amazing how much a good core gameplay can positively impact the experience of doing basic side quests. There's nothing particularly interesting in the quest design, but just the fact that movement and combat are fun as hell makes it so I never feel like I'm forcing myself to play something shitty just because the story is cool. I'm having fun between the story beats, and that's something too many RPGs full of side quests do wrong, imo.

Koozek

Man, the feels just hit me, and it's not even a quest, just general NPCs. Route C General NPC Spoilers
You know the pair of friends in Pascal's village one of whom was tired to carrying the other friend and weren't talking anymore? Well, in Route C, they make up with each other, and one says he agreed to only carry the friend 3 times, while the other friend who doesn't have arms said he should think about giving his friend some oil for his arms. Just looking at these guys, plus that village music in the background
... damn it :'[

Edit: These
CtffG.jpg

Curufinwe

Is there a bump in enemy toughness after
the fight in the desert against the humanoid machine
in route B?

I got killed in the city from near full health by a red machine exploding.

Exentryk

Man, why is this happening :(

Is there a bump in enemy toughness after
the fight in the desert against the humanoid machine
in route B?

I got killed in the city from near full health by a red machine exploding.

Those
exploding machines
do some good damage. Get some melee def chips.

black070

With Mass Effect out of commission for me until the Tuesday announcement, I've dived back into this. Now for whatever reason, I wasn't really digging the first couple of hours.. but boy has the game got its hooks in deep now, I can't get enough of it !

So I'm progressing through this game slow as all get out (busy with work and life and everything else, you know how it is) but I am amazed by the little philosophical asides that the NPCs - the shopkeeper in the Resistance camp that won't replace his original leg is totally Plutarch's Ship of Theseus paradox.

That and the movement in this game is giving me Metal Gear Rising vibes - 2B just flows around - that and turning into Ikaruga/Smash TV every once in a while is great fun.

Come for the philosophical pandering, stay for the awesome game play. Looking forward to diving in much deeper.

J_Viper

Even with fast travel unlocked, I just don't have the energy to do these side quests.

There's some fun writing to be found, but the actual mission design of these quests couldn't be any more dull. And this is coming from someone who spent EIGHTY HOURS in Dragon Age: Inquisition

I think I'm just gonna mainline this one. The main content is stellar.

Platinum, stop trying to make open world games. Stop it.

aravuus

So I've got endings A, B and C. D is just
making a different choice between 9S and A2 during the end sequence
, right? Does E take long from there?

Roubjon

So I've got endings A, B and C. D is just
making a different choice between 9S and A2 during the end sequence
, right? Does E take long from there?

Just do ending D and it will all make sense. Yes just choose the other character.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Even with fast travel unlocked, I just don't have the energy to do these side quests.

There are only a handful of quests in the entire game that require much in the way of jumping around the world. Half of them even can be instantly completed provided you have the needed materials already.

The reality is that on the whole sidequests are as painless as they could possibly be on the whole. I really don't see the issue. You can even get the 80% required for the trophy without doing any of the more involved ones.

Honestly, I really don't see there being any sort of a problem especially as in the entire game there is a grand total of 1 missable thing in the long-run.

Prurient

Banned
Sidequest question:

I missed picking up the Lunar Tear for Emil's quest on route A, is this a quest I can do when I start route B?

guybrushfreeman

Unconfirmed Member
The OST CD is just absurdly good. It's a straight masterpiece. You owe it to yourself to seek it out, it's just incredible.

The music in the game is dynamically mixed to the action which is amazing in game. However the mixes put together for the OST CD are just another level completely because you get the chance to notice things you miss in the middle of the action.

This soundtrack is just another level entirely. Amazing

Hektor

Tips for the racing quests?

P485030

Speed chips + large speedsalves, if you need to run without jumping high, hold run down rather than doing repeated dashes as that is faster in the long run.

Alternatively abuse him with high level overclock chips if you have them already

Thanks, guess i'll be getting one of those for next week then

aravuus

Make sure you hack the boss 4 times

You mean,
hack A2 as 9S
or... ? Because, uh... I already finished the game.
Smashed the credits with the help of others and lost my save.

Well, either way - holy fuck ending E was amazing. I loved it.
I almost got a bit emotional when writing my message to others.

Game as a whole was great. I'm usually not big on philosophy, but a lot of it was quite interesting here, probably because of the medium. Gameplay was easily the best a Yoko Taro game has had so far, although I have to say I still otherwise prefer the original Nier when it comes to story and characters.

Beautifully profound game and beautiful OST, not much else to say. Now I'm gonna go read the spoiler thread and listen to the soundtrack on the background.

For the
YoRHa Betrayers
quest (Route A, rather early I think), is there a glitch or something with it? I went to the marked area by the factory entrance, but there's nothing there.

There's only that marker and one by the landing zone on top of the buildings, but I can't tell if the tower marker is higher than the landing zone or if there's just nothing there as well.

Also, is there a cut-off point for side quests in Route A? I want to try to do as many as I can my first-time around.

For the
YoRHa Betrayers
quest (Route A, rather early I think), is there a glitch or something with it? I went to the marked area by the factory entrance, but there's nothing there.

There's only that marker and one by the landing zone on top of the buildings, but I can't tell if the tower marker is higher than the landing zone or if there's just nothing there as well.

Also, is there a cut-off point for side quests in Route A? I want to try to do as many as I can my first-time around.

For some reason they only appear after you finished the
Forest King
area for me and a lot of other people. And the first area they appeared for me was
on top of the Goliath
which you probably haven't seen yet. I'm not sure if this is all intentional, seeing as you get the quest way earlier, but it is what it is.

And yeah, there's a cutoff point. If you wanna know...this isn't much of a spoiler with no context but to be safe: If you start the mission
where you're supposed to defend that launcher in the flooded city
it's over for most quests.

So I'm about 8 hours in now. It's definitely bringing back some memories of Nier, but I love that it's doing its own thing. It's probably been said, but this game really does polish up one of the huge glaring flaws of the original with that Platinum silky-smooth combat. The OST is right up there with the original with the new music being stellar and I'm loving the callbacks to the original.

Is fishing a thing I need to do? I basically ignored it in the first game and plan on doing so here too unless there's something important I'm gonna miss.

Dio

Banned
All right.

Finished the game. Ending E.

Jesus christ...

The happiest Taro ending ever?

He really wasn't lying when he said he made an upbeat one. It sure as hell is more positive than Drakengard 1/3 and Nier.

I don't even want to fight the secret Emil desert boss just to get the trophy. I'm going to leave it as is, I think.

Is fishing a thing I need to do? I basically ignored it in the first game and plan on doing so here too unless there's something important I'm gonna miss.

Pod B. In the flooded city. I don't think there's a specific spot in that area, it's all dependent on the almighty RNG, whether you'll get it or not. But you have to fish for it. No other way.

Top Bottom