• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NieR: Automata |OT| "I wouldn't expect too much from this game if I were you."

Vic_Viper

Finally finished Zelda and have begun playing Nier again. Still on my first go through and just got the fast travel ability. Have a few questions:

Which items are 100% safe to sell? What about items like the earrings and bracelets ive been finding? Also are Machine Cores for anything?

What is a good setup for my pod at my current point in the game? (level 13)

Which pod chip give me the Witch Time ability from Bayonetta and when/where can I find it?

Ferrio

Banned
Finally finished Zelda and have begun playing Nier again. Still on my first go through and just got the fast travel ability. Have a few questions:

Which items are 100% safe to sell? What about items like the earrings and bracelets ive been finding? Also are Machine Cores for anything?

Which pod chip give me the Witch Time ability from Bayonetta and when/where can I find it?

Cores are safe to sell. Don't sell them unless you need the money at the time since they raise in price the further the game goes on. The chip you're talking about unlocks toward the end of the first playthrough. You'll find a new shopkeeper at the resistance camp that'll sell it, it's hard to miss.

LotusHD

Banned

If it says it can be exchanged for money, then sell it. This includes the machine cores.

The Witch Time chip is called Overclock. You can get it from a mobile store...

As for the pod... I dunno, I didn't really mess with the other stuff.

Bowlie

Banned
Anything with a
Can be exchanged for money.
description;

There are so many ways to play the game that there is not a best setup; just look at the pod programs being sold at vendors and see which one do you like most;

I don't know what that is, having never played Bayonetta, but there is a Slow program that you can get on your second playthrough.

When the description says it's good to sell, it's good to sell and that includes Machine Cores. During Route A I basically had next to no money as I kept everything, on the off-chance that I might need it someday.

Some people might tell you to keep any Desert Rose that you find, even though the description says it's only good for sale, because you do need them for a sidequest much much later.

But as soon as the quest starts, these desert roses spawn in a specific area in very close proximity to each other, and you probably need more than you have collected naturally at that point, so you'll probably have to visit that area anyway in which case...you might as well sell any you come across right now.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
True end.

Me putting 2 and 2 together
realising that the help was actually someone sacrificing their data
was a real awwwww shit, d'awww moment.

For a game about the foibles of mankind and how flawed we are,
it's surprising that the ending could show what we're very capable of too in such a real way.

Vic_Viper

Thanks.

Is there a pod that will auto use a healing item? Im on Normal on this playthrough though and all the "auto" chips I have are for Easy mode only.

For some reason they only appear after you finished the
Forest King
area for me and a lot of other people. And the first area they appeared for me was
on top of the Goliath
which you probably haven't seen yet. I'm not sure if this is all intentional, seeing as you get the quest way earlier, but it is what it is.

And yeah, there's a cutoff point. If you wanna know...this isn't much of a spoiler with no context but to be safe: If you start the mission
where you're supposed to defend that launcher in the flooded city
it's over for most quests.
That's really helpful; thanks!

Ruff

Thanks.

Is there a pod that will auto use a healing item? Im on Normal on this playthrough though and all the "auto" chips I have are for Easy mode only.

I believe you can get a free auto-item chip from when you used the black box in the intro/demo area if you go back there and collect your stuff.

Blobbers

So after finishing route
C it says there's an interesting woman or whatever at the resistance camp which I assume is the next route, but she's not there when I start new game (for the 4th time). any pro tips?

LotusHD

Banned
So after finishing route
C it says there's an interesting woman or whatever at the resistance camp which I assume is the next route, but she's not there when I start new game (for the 4th time). any pro tips?

For Route D, use Chapter Select and pick the other character to play as for the 9S vs. A2 fight. You don't have to start all over again. The woman at the resistance camp is the one with the machine head. She sells you NieR: Automata trophies now.

Ruff

So after finishing route

You don't start a new game after C, you use chapter select. It's the one with the machine head

black070

So um, first Yoko Taro game for me and just reached the first ending - hot damn, I feel like I've been missing out big time. The writing and story have been amazing ! Can't wait to see what's to come as I progress further.

Blobbers

For Route D, use Chapter Select and pick the other character to play as for the 9S vs. A2 fight. You don't have to start all over again. The woman at the resistance camp is the one with the machine head. She sells you NieR: Automata trophies now.

You don't start a new game after C, you use chapter select. It's the one with the machine head

ohhhh, okay. much thanks.

AHA-Lambda

Finished Route B for Nier Automata now, that was underwhelming to be perfectly honest =/

It's not much different from Route A really. Here's hoping Route C delivers something different now (which the preview at least implies).

chrono01

Finished Route B for Nier Automata now, that was underwhelming to be perfectly honest =/

It's not much different from Route A really. Here's hoping Route C delivers something different now (which the preview at least implies).
Don't worry, Route C is vastly different, you'll see.

I enjoyed all routes personally, but I can understand why some might not enjoy Route B (especially after immediately finishing Route A). As for me, I loved all aspects of this game. I can't say enough good things about it.

lol,
the credits hacking scene is absolutely destroying me

edit: oh my god this is the best game ever
It destroyed us all, except maybe the Touhou Gods in Japan.

I see you asked for help and then discovered what happens next. Yes, the game is amazing indeed.

Gamers have been blessed with an extraordinary amount of memorable music throughout the past few decades, but Nier Automata's soundtrack is an absolute masterpiece, truly one for the ages. God bless everyone involved in bringing this to life.

Blobbers

is ValkyrieAurora a good source for lore videos? I kinda wanna read up on drakengard lore and how it ties into all this stuff. wouldn't mind an OG Nier refresher either

Voliko

Trying to get more unit intel, I saw him earlier in the game but how do I get
godzilla
to spawn? I've tried going back to the area in route C but all that spawns are a bunch of those worm enemies.

cm osi

is ValkyrieAurora a good source for lore videos? I kinda wanna read up on drakengard lore and how it ties into all this stuff. wouldn't mind an OG Nier refresher either

maybe clemps goes a little deeper since he made 3 video for nier and 2 for drakengard but they're both good. valkyrieaurora video is 3 games in 27 minutes so it's probably much more compressed

the only thing that ties drakengard to nier is the
ending where caim and Angelus get warped to tokyo with the gortesque queen and get killed, bringing the Maso to the world

Blobbers

maybe clemps goes a little deeper since he made 3 video for nier and 2 for drakengard but they're both good. valkyrieaurora video is 3 games in 27 minutes so it's probably much more compressed

the only thing that ties drakengard to nier is the
ending where caim and Angelus get warped to tokyo with the gortesque queen and get killed, bringing the Maso to the world

cool, thanks. I'll def check out clemps

This game looks like lots of fun and interesting. Is this a title I can just jump into?? Do I NEED to play previous titles because I really don't have access to them

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
How far along am I in the main storyline? I just beat
the spiderball boss, the one after Adam.

JackelZXA

Did they say anything about story DLC or anything like that? I've only seen weapons/skins.

it sounds vague but basically they said they won't do anything on the level of a witcher story dlc. It might be simpler stuff that's text only, or it might be battle rooms. Some redditors saw evidence that maybe the dlc packs are like...referencing a train stage or a colloseum. I think that's just steam data files or something. I bet we start getting that dlc by mid april.
pg_saito, i believe on his twitter, said the elevators behind the apologizing robots would be opened soon. People have glitched to make the elevators work and it takes you out of world into no 3d models. I think there's one in each of the major areas. Desert, Flooded, Forest....I think those are all of them actually. Were there any of them elsewhere?

Momentary

Banned
Man... I can't get these execution prompts to save my life. It almost feels like this is busted on the PC version. I keep seeing people's videos with them doing execution moves on all the enemies. I've tried to whittle down enemies with my pod too... It doesn't work.

Voliko

Man... I can't get these execution prompts to save my life. It almost feels like this is busted on the PC version. I keep seeing people's videos with them doing execution moves on all the enemies. I've tried to whittle down enemies with my pod too... It doesn't work.
Weapons with stun+ trigger it more often...

I think

Lol o was playing on a tiny monitor so could barely see when they popped up

Some days I really want to get this because of all this "all-time" talk about the story/philosophy, other days I think the gameplay itself looks boring and button mashy. Oh, to be indecisive. Please go on sale soon.

Jiraiza

Finding a SFW picture for a wallpaper for my work desktop is like navigating a minefield.

5y6VOhG.jpg

A minefield of booty, indeed.

I'm not having much fun playing Route B
as 9S. Is there a way to improve the Hacking minigames?

I do really really wanna finish it because I gots to know it all.

Ferrio

Banned
I'm not having much fun playing Route B
as 9S. Is there a way to improve the Hacking minigames?

I do really really wanna finish it because I gots to know it all.

Can't change the minigame, but you can equip chips to improve the results of the hacking. Don't sleep on 9S's moveset either, it's awkward coming from 2B but it's not weak.

Top Bottom