• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NieR: Automata |OT| "I wouldn't expect too much from this game if I were you."

bubumiao

Just wondered what order I should play the Drakengard series in conjunction with NieR prior to playing Automata?

I'm thinking:

Drakengard
Drakengard 2
NieR
Drakengard 3
NieR: Automata

Yes?

Strimei

Wow, is Father Servo really weak to hacking? I'm continuing the sidequest on B (thank god progress is kept between endings) and I hacked him and instantly won.

That was a surprise.

Bowlie

Banned
Drakengard 2 is 100% irrelevant to the events of Automata and while Draks 3 is relevant to Draks 1, it is also irrelevant to the events of Automata.

If you're not playing "to understand Automata", but just to get to know the series, then that order, the release order, is fine c:

Frimaire

Wow, is Father Servo really weak to hacking? I'm continuing the sidequest on B (thank god progress is kept between endings) and I hacked him and instantly won.

That was a surprise.
Damn, now I feel dumb fighting him for like 30 minutes straight in route A...

Carlius

Banned
Finished Route B for Nier Automata now, that was underwhelming to be perfectly honest =/

It's not much different from Route A really. Here's hoping Route C delivers something different now (which the preview at least implies).

part c is practically
the second part of the game
. its amazing.

Caim

That was a surprise.

Hacking is absurdly strong against pretty much everything.

Even more if you have Combust maxed.

Completed Route A and just barely started Route B. The dialogue and writing is really good, particularly with the side quests, but I gotta say the main story's been underwhelming so far. Hoping Route B and C improve things there, because so far I still don't feel much of an emotional connection to the main plot.

Okay, what spoiler free things do I have to know to get ending E? I'm at the start of C. I know that
C and D are based on a decision in the C route.
Does E take something crazy like in Nier 1:
Never played it but didn't you have to download your save data from the cloud?

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Just wondered what order I should play the Drakengard series in conjunction with NieR prior to playing Automata?

I'm thinking:

Drakengard
NieR
Drakengard 3

Yes?

If you insist on playing the Drakengard games it's this. I'd strongly suggest not playing Drakengard 1 at least though.

Ferrio

Banned
Okay, what spoiler free things do I have to know to get ending E? I'm at the start of C. I know that

Get C and D and you'll figure it out from there.

Bowlie

Banned
You all being negative towards the Drakengard series should at least explain why you don't like the games instead of just dismissing it, especially with someone that is new to the series and doesn't know a thing. You are not helping anyone.

spiritfox

You can't miss it.

J_Viper

Is
Yorha Betrayers
bugged for me?

I'm at the targets' location, but there's no one there. I even checked YouTube to make sure I'm in the right place.

I'm on PC, if that makes a difference

There are only a handful of quests in the entire game that require much in the way of jumping around the world. Half of them even can be instantly completed provided you have the needed materials already.

The reality is that on the whole sidequests are as painless as they could possibly be on the whole. I really don't see the issue. You can even get the 80% required for the trophy without doing any of the more involved ones.

Honestly, I really don't see there being any sort of a problem especially as in the entire game there is a grand total of 1 missable thing in the long-run.

I'm thinking you're right. I must have just burned myself on them early on by trying to complete as many quests as I could without first unlocking fast travel.

Downloaded the demo. Issues:

1. Ten minutes in and I already don't like that I can't save anywhere

2. Controls are really... involved. I'm holding L2 to lock on, R1 to shoot, R2 to dodge, left stick to move, and square to attack all at the same time??? Seems a bit much?

Any, uh, tips on these?

spiritfox

2. Controls are really... involved. I'm holding L2 to lock on, R1 to shoot, R2 to dodge, left stick to move, and square to attack all at the same time??? Seems a bit much?

Any, uh, tips on these?

1. You can't save at all in that section. You'll be able to save at a lot of places afterwards.

2. You don't have to hold L2, and you don't have to be shooting all the time.

Renewed

Any, uh, tips on these?

There's no saving in the prologue.

You don't need to hold L2 to lock. Just tapping on it is fine and then you press again to unlock. You should be able to remap controls or at the very least, pick control schemes. The only button I'm holding down the most is R1, and then everything else is situational. But I used the default scheme the whole time.

Finished B last night. Can't wait to get this work done so I can start route C... although I do have to hang out with the girlfriend for while first. Oh well, its Friday, I can sleep in tommorrow.

Rixxan

Just got this game on a recommendation knowing nothing about it - decided to play on hard - dented into it but died and realized I need to start over - wo

Seems awesome tho

Any, uh, tips on these?

Absolutely.

I totally retooled my button layout and think it beats the preconfig options big time. This requires a PS4 since it technically has one more button (the second half of the touchpad) which leaves necessary breathing room to rearrange functions. Here are the changes:

L3 - Dodge/Sprint - this way L3 functions as your sprint function like in every other game (I'm never not sprinting with this)
Right Touchpad - Flashlight - why would you ever need this in anything but the most inconvenient of locations?
Circle - Dodge/Sprint - There's overlap, yes, but I use them differently. Circle is almost strictly dodge, L3 is almost strictly sprint (but if I dodge in the process, hey, I'm not complaining 😎). I like this way more than R2 because it's so much more immediate and responsive.
L2 - Lock-On
R1 - Shoot
R2 - Pod Skill - You'll never use shoot and pod skill at the same time so why not have them on the same finger? I think of it like having the second right shoulder button as a grenade or heavy attack of some kind in many games. Feels intuitive.
L1 - Action - this was a bit of a necessity with the face buttons being taken but I actually prefer it in this position.

Sorry the order is screwy but I was just writing from memory.

I seriously recommend people try this. If you've already played a lot though there's no way you're resetting your muscle memory, so I doubt many people will, but I wanted to put it out there regardless.

LotusHD

Banned
Just got this game on a recommendation knowing nothing about it - decided to play on hard - dented into it but died and realized I need to start over - wo

Seems awesome tho

I would strongly recommend getting past the beginning section (which ends after you leave the factory) on Normal/Easy, due to having to start over if you die. Then afterwards, do what you want.
Hard will still be unrelentingly punishing for quite awhile though

Absolutely.

I totally retooled my button layout and think it beats the preconfig options big time. This requires a PS4 since it technically has one more button (the second half of the touchpad) which leaves necessary breathing room to rearrange functions. Here are the changes:

L3 - Dodge/Sprint - this way L3 functions as your sprint function like in every other game (I'm never not sprinting with this)
Right Touchpad - Flashlight - why would you ever need this in anything but the most inconvenient of locations?
Circle - Dodge/Sprint - There's overlap, yes, but I use them differently. Circle is almost strictly dodge, L3 is almost strictly sprint (but if I dodge in the process, hey, I'm not complaining 😎). I like this way more than R2 because it's so much more immediate and responsive.
L2 - Lock-On
R1 - Shoot
R2 - Pod Skill - You'll never use shoot and pod skill at the same time so why not have them on the same finger? I think of it like having the second right shoulder button as a grenade or heavy attack of some kind in many games. Feels intuitive.
L1 - Action - this was a bit of a necessity with the face buttons being taken but I actually prefer it in this position.

Sorry the order is screwy but I was just writing from memory.

I seriously recommend people try this. If you've already played a lot though there's no way you're resetting your muscle memory, so I doubt many people will, but I wanted to put it out there regardless.

So in the menu you can completely remap buttons? I think even more glaring than the ones I posted is the healing items/equipped weapons being stuck on the D-Pad. When I'm already clawing the controller to hit all these buttons, reaching for the D-Pad is unpleasant.

LotusHD

Banned
So in the menu you can completely remap buttons? I think even more glaring than the ones I posted is the healing items/equipped weapons being stuck on the D-Pad. When I'm already clawing the controller to hit all these buttons, reaching for the D-Pad is unpleasant.

Correct. If you have an issue with where the buttons are placed, then simply remap them to your liking.

SephLuis

I'm thinking:

Drakengard
Drakengard 2
NieR
Drakengard 3

Yes?

If you're really willing to go through with this idea, get a guide for Drakengard 1. Or else you won't see everything relevant story wise.

Don't play Drakengard 2. It's mostly considered a spin-off since it wasn't directed by Taro.

Nier and Drakengard 3 you can go blind and without guide. Those are really easy to get everything needed.

And, if you do go through this, keep us updated with LTTP threads as you play them. It will be fun.

Did I miss something with ending E?

Holy shit, that was such a let down. I feel so deflated right now. I was expecting... something, anything more than what I got.

Aerobatics

Neo Member
Just finished Route C

Question about the other routes:
Do I need to use chapter select do these? When I start new game like I've done in the past it just takes me to the start of the game.

LotusHD

Banned
Just finished Route C

Question about the other routes:
Do I need to use chapter select do these? When I start new game like I've done in the past it just takes me to the start of the game.

Yea, pick the other character in the 9S v. A2 fight for Ending D.

Powering through this before I start Persona 5 on Tuesday. Let's goooooo!

I hate this sidequest though. Still route A.
Weird scientist bot. You fucking need 100K? After I gave you 80K? Motherfucker why do you need so much G? Ugh. And I needed 50K for the Wandering Couple...

LotusHD

Banned
Alright, thanks.

Also, I read something about secret bosses, I assume when I get to this it'll be pretty apparent?
Don't want to miss anything.

Nah, it's not really obvious. I only know because others brought it up. You can worry about that after you finish the game though.

Kyrios

Got Ending C and will just use chapter select for Ending D and E (I can do that right?)

Now should I go for the rest of the stuff before I get Ending E or just finish the story and mop up other things later?

I only ask because the first Nier deletes your save data after getting a certain ending. Automata doesn't delete your data does it? Or if it does, are you locked out of anything if you choose not to have your save data deleted? I just want to know if I can safely get Ending E and then go back and get everything else via mission select

Powering through this before I start Persona 5 on Tuesday. Let's goooooo!

I hate this sidequest though. Still route A.
Weird scientist bot. You fucking need 100K? After I gave you 80K? Motherfucker why do you need so much G? Ugh. And I needed 50K for the Wandering Couple...
I just got to route B without doing that one and the progress I made on that one was kept so you could just skip it if you want.

Btw, make sure you do
the Wandering Couple before you do the story quest in that area bc it will automatically fail. Made a mistake triggering that and lost out on a few quests and had to reload.

Ferrio

Banned
Got Ending C and will just use chapter select for Ending D and E (I can do that right?)

Now should I go for the rest of the stuff before I get Ending E or just finish the story and mop up other things later?

I only ask because the first Nier deletes your save data after getting a certain ending. Automata doesn't delete your data does it? Or if it does, are you locked out of anything if you choose not to have your save data deleted? I just want to know if I can safely get Ending E and then go back and get everything else via mission select

You can get the best ending and still go back to clean up missed quests.

LotusHD

Banned

You can safely get Ending E and complete everything else.

I just started the game a couple days ago. About 6 hours in. Sometimes when fighting the enemy i get a prompt to press "O" and it does like a special attack. Are they random, or am i supposed to be doing something in order to trigger those special attacks?

I would recommend completing everything before doing ending E to make the experience more natural, but you can go back.

I just started the game a couple days ago. About 6 hours in. Sometimes when fighting the enemy i get a prompt to press "O" and it does like a special attack. Are they random, or am i supposed to be doing something in order to trigger those special attacks?

It has to do with stunning them, I think, but it's pretty useless because the damage isn't great, and you're locked into the animation even if the enemy dies or your partner knocks them out of it.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Done with my second playthrough, I think I'm gonna stop there cus google tells me the third one is significantly harder and the only change is one cutscene at the end, so I'm just gonna Youtube that.

Great game, loved every second.

Done with my second playthrough, I think I'm gonna stop there cus google tells me the third one is significantly harder and the only change is one cutscene at the end, so I'm just gonna Youtube that.

Great game, loved every second.

Playthrough as in A-E?

Or Playthrough as in A, then another as in B?

Top Bottom