• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NieR: Automata |OT| "I wouldn't expect too much from this game if I were you."

Ferrio

Banned
Done with my second playthrough, I think I'm gonna stop there cus google tells me the third one is significantly harder and the only change is one cutscene at the end, so I'm just gonna Youtube that.

Great game, loved every second.

Google is lying it's ass off.
3rd playthrough and forward is 100% new. No repeated content, and you're missing the best parts.

Done with my second playthrough, I think I'm gonna stop there cus google tells me the third one is significantly harder and the only change is one cutscene at the end, so I'm just gonna Youtube that.

I really don't recommend that. Route C is where the magic happens. Watching a video wont have the same impact as playing through it.

It still weirds me out that everyone refers to Pascal as a male.
I mean, I'm not crazy, right? That's a female voice?

What Bowlie said.

Also, while Pascal's voice is more overtly female, it's not uncommon to have women play male characters.

interview1-02.jpg

Pictured: Goku's Japanese voice

Mailbox

google has told you wrong. go back and play. DO NOT just go to youtube for this

edit: i mean it. any of this. if you love the game so far, get to ending
E
on your own.

How in the world can you come to that conclusion after finishing route B? Did you just hit the power button as soon as the credits started rolling?

There was more than one new cutscene in just that trailer!

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
I posted that while the credits were rolling and now that they end I see the preview thing, showing all new footage.

Playthrough 3 here I come.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
What Google result said that, anyway?

Whoever wrote that needs a slap.

I dunno, I googled the third playthrough and one of the results was saying that the only change is the end and another was talking about how crazy hard it gets. Didn't do too much digging cus of possible spoilers.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
I dunno, I googled the third playthrough and one of the results was saying that the only change is the end and another was talking about how crazy hard it gets.

neither of those things is true. You already got past the worst and most unnecessary part of the game, dont stop when its about to get good again, arguably the best part of the game.

Aizo

Banned
What the fuck. The game just didn't something unreasonably cruel to me in one of the towers. Route C spoilers.

I was in the tower in the flooded city with 9S, where you're hacking a bunch of devices. It's kind of a pain in the ass. I get to the top and start a boss battle. The boss dashes at me, I try to dodge, it grabs me, and depletes all my health with the one grab. I am forced to reload a save. I have to do the whole tower again. I very rarely get upset with games, but I think I'll shut it off now. I didn't enjoy that at all. If I get to that boss again, and it happens all over, that would be such bullshit.

It's funny how, by Route C, how much I go between hating and totally craving the hacking.

It's its strongest in the story moments though. That presentation and pared down gameplay does the heavy exposition moments wonders.

DKF590

I dunno, I googled the third playthrough and one of the results was saying that the only change is the end and another was talking about how crazy hard it gets. Didn't do too much digging cus of possible spoilers.

Pretty sure whatever you saw was about the first Nier. The third playthrough in the original Nier is pretty much the same minus some stuff at the end. Not at all the case here.

What the fuck. The game just didn't something unreasonably cruel to me in one of the towers.

Same thing happened to me. You can back out and save before you start the part mentioned if you want to avoid that happening again.

Whales

Banned
game just crashed in my face on ps4

gonna have to redo like 3 sidequests now :(

On another note, im statting to find hacking a little bit more fun, and also I dont know why I skipped all of the sidequests in route A, im actually liking the variety/the stories they tell

LotusHD

Banned
neither of those things is true. You already got past the worst and most unnecessary part of the game, dont stop when its about to get good again, arguably the best part of the game.

Eh, improvements could be made, but I wouldn't call it unnecessary.

I'm almost done with Route C and I legitimately have no idea how any of you could possibly roll up on an enemy to hijack them without making them aggro. I've only ever pulled it off when the story explicitly demands it. You must have to creep at a snail's pace from an already advantageous position to sneak up on them. And even then, it would take so long to pull off that I have to imagine it wouldn't be worth it (at least in time, not "fun") when you can just hack them in battle and blow them up, lighting them on fire and stunning everyone around them (with my mods at least).

It's pointless now, but will someone tell me what I'm missing there?

jonjonaug

I'm almost done with Route C and I legitimately have no idea how any of you could possibly roll up on an enemy to hijack them without making them aggro. I've only ever pulled it off when the story explicitly demands it. You must have to creep at a snail's pace from an already advantageous position to sneak up on them. And even then, it would take so long to pull off that I have to imagine it wouldn't be worth it (at least in time, not "fun") when you can just hack them in battle and blow them up, lighting them on fire and stunning everyone around them (with my mods at least).

It's pointless now, but will someone tell me what I'm missing there?

You can hack from a pretty far distance and a lot of enemies won't aggro until you get closer to them.

You can hack from a pretty far distance and a lot of enemies won't aggro until you get closer to them.

See, I'm not saying you're wrong, but based on my play experience? That feels objectively untrue.

Enemies will spot me from a hundred meters away and aggro. And on the occasions that I have somewhat snuck up on an enemy, the hacking distance is so short that I have been close enough to lock on but my hacking...uh, beams(?) fizzle out before reaching them.

chrono01

See, I'm not saying you're wrong, but based on my play experience? That feels objectively untrue.

Enemies will spot me from a hundred meters away and aggro. And on the occasions that I have somewhat snuck up on an enemy, the hacking distance is so short that I have been close enough to lock on but my hacking...uh, beams(?) fizzle out before reaching them.
Have you tried locking on?

Dunan

Is there any reason not to kill those robots at the theme park?? I mean, they are cute and all, but I need the exp.

Was just thinking about this as I walked right past them, talking with their friendly allies, only to get to the boss after them and find that my level is about half what it should be and that I can't damage the boss at all.

I think I'll go to the desert and fight some of those hostile robots instead.

Baalzebup

Did you know you can chain-hack? AKA hack robots while controlling a robot? Get control of one unit, and you can use that to edge up to other units and, generally, they won't aggro on you until you start attacking with your hijacked unit, so you can just jump from a robot to a better robot until you're rolling with the biggest and baddest unit around.

Exentryk

I never bother with hacking, but there is a weapon that auto-hijacks when you attack with it. It's a level 4 ability though. :p

guybrushfreeman

Unconfirmed Member
I ended up really enjoying the hacking. I also loved the sort of action/hacking element. I'd set up a double offset and then hack away. Felt super badass actually, nimbly dodging around the field hacking away at strategic targets. I found it really enjoyable

Edit: also he OST release is too incredible I can't stop talking about it, make sure you listen to it after finishing the game. K, thanks, bye

black070

So do I really have to repeat side missions on my second play through ? I know it shows up as completed in my progress bar, but I was hoping they'd remain clear to make it easier to work on the ones I hadn't.

So do I really have to repeat side missions on my second play through ? I know it shows up as completed in my progress bar, but I was hoping they'd remain clear to make it easier to work on the ones I hadn't.

nope, as long as you actually completed the quest in A it won't let you do them again

Hektor

The only sideqests you can/have to "redo" are those you did not complete. I you finished them they remain finished.

pa22word

nope, as long as you actually completed the quest in A it won't let you do them again

Worth mentioning that you actually have to fully complete them. If it's a multiple step quest and you do p1 but not 2 and 3 you'll have to do the entire quest over again next time through.

If they're finished, you don't need to do them again. If not, you have to do it all again. The only exception to this is the Half-Wit Inventor quest, he remembers how much you've donated in the past so you don't need to donate another 80,000G or whatever. Each Father Servo fight counts as its own quest too, so you only need to carry on from whatever phase you're at.

black070

The only sideqests you can/have to "redo" are those you did not complete. I you finished them they remain finished.
Worth mentioning that you actually have to fully complete them. If it's a multiple step quest and you do p1 but not 2 and 3 you'll have to do the entire quest over again next time through.
If they're finished, you don't need to do them again. If not, you have to do it all again. The only exception to this is the Half-Wit Inventor quest, he remembers how much you've donated in the past so you don't need to donate another 80,000G or whatever. Each Father Servo fight counts as its own quest too, so you only need to carry on from whatever phase you're at.

Whoops, that's my bad - I didn't realise
helping the weapons and plug-in chips merchants were part of the main quest.
, thanks guys.

Shahadan

Any reason why his mask has been stitched up btw? I know it's been for a while but at some point it wasn't

Edit: Wait or is it just two different sides?

chrono01

Any reason why his mask has been stitched up btw? I know it's been for a while but at some point it wasn't

Edit: Wait or is it just two different sides?
I'm pretty sure it fell off at an press conference (or he tripped, I can't recall), and it cracked. Might have been E3?

Shahadan

I'm pretty sure it fell off at an press conference (or he tripped, I can't recall), and it cracked. Might have been E3?

Oh okay, thanks. I kinda like that he didn't just have another one made and patched this one up. It looks cool.

Scarred Emil confirmed for Ni3R

Exentryk

That interview was really neat! I like how Taro has to know everything about the project, lol.

Also, his stitched up mask looks even better.

Top Bottom