• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NieR: Automata |OT| "I wouldn't expect too much from this game if I were you."

Skulldead

Yeah, that's a good way actually.
The albino/white animals in the forest areas drop rare meat(etc) that sell for a lot of money. You can go to the desert area where you fought the boss and fight infinite enemies there for drops and selling. You can fish in the desert oasis as those sell for good amount of money (there might be better spots, but I didn't need to grind for money after that zone).

Most people just wait until later. If you keep machine cores until route C they sell for 22500 each. I had close to 60 by that point.

Fishing can get you some money. Sell any junk items that have the description "can be sold for money" aside from Desert Roses. Machine Cores give a lot of money as well

Thank for the help.

Nier actually has a story to tell, character's with arcs and motivations and is internally consistent, so it quite different then Dark Souls. :p

NieR's story is told very differently than Dark Souls. I think it has more in common with Neon Genesis Evangelion in terms of story telling than Dark Souls.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Nier actually has a story to tell, character's with arcs and motivations and is internally consistent, so it quite different then Dark Souls. :p

Yes, but it's still very far from up-front narration of all other mainstream games. Nier buries a lot of subtle but quite important things in item descriptions and additional material, which is very Souls-like.

Yes, but it's still very far from up-front narration of all other mainstream games. Nier buries a lot of subtle but quite important things in item descriptions and additional material, which is very Souls-like.

NieR Automata literally throws an encyclopedia at you explain very clearly what the hell is going on. Thats as unsouls like as it gets.

LotusHD

Banned
posted this in the recommend thread.

Adding on, A complete 100% of NieR would take around 50-80 hours and mileage may vary. A plat would be on the 50 hours while completing all main endings would be around 30-40 hours.

Persona on the other hand would be much longer I guess especially if you want to 100%

NieR is more of a story that makes you think. Makes you question things. Persona on the other hand is a more personal story. Although NieR has personal stories and P5 has psychological things as well, those are the high points they have.

OST is a bit harder to quantify as personally I like both but if I had to choose it would be NieR as I feel the amount of care and the variance and the way it affects the game itself is just astounding. The music itself is part of the game and enhances the experience. While Persona on the other hand while absolutely amazing, it still use standard ways of portraying music.

Art style, I'll give it to Persona as it has so much flair and it just pops. It's so stylish and I like it but those who aren't fans of anime like visuals may be turned off. NieR is a bit more dialed down but you can still see the influence of anime. If you like T H I C C though, NieR is the way.

Gameplay - It's quite nice. It's not on the level of MGR, DMC or Bayonetta but it's definitely close. If you like action games then really you'll like NieR. P5 is really great as well. Probably one of the best turn based systems and added more flair to it. So you can't go wrong with both unless you have a certain preference.

Nier's OST is amazinger, just sayin'

Haly

NieR Automata literally throws an encyclopedia at you explain very clearly what the hell is going on. Thats as unsouls like as it gets.

Wait I missed this. Are you referring to
the Project Gestalt Logs?

Haly

Can you chose the route a b or c or when you play a you can play b?
Sequential.

How is the story? Not to japanese and to complicated?
It's not too Japanese but it's pretty complex as far as sci-fi game narratives go.
It's menu->Intel->Archives->Machine Research Report

Oh right this one, yeah that suffices for the main plot but there's a lot of side stuff it doesn't cover. I'll admit Nier eventually drops the curtains and lets you see behind the scenes which is a lot more than Souls ever did.

Koozek

Thanks guys! I will definitely play after the credits roll
I mean, anything else wouldn't even make sense. Would be like quitting FFVII after CD1 (EDIT: Okay, maybe not the best example as most of the heaviest stuff happens in CD1 already) or Wild Arms after its fake credits during the funeral a few hours in :D

Trying this on platinum's cred alone, and I'm not sure how I feel about it yet. I'll give it some more time to see if it clicks. Out of curiosity - normal or hard? Omission of lock on seems...interesting? To be perfectly honest normal was a cake walk and on hard I am being one shotted.

Trying this on platinum's cred alone, and I'm not sure how I feel about it yet. I'll give it some more time to see if it clicks. Out of curiosity - normal or hard? Omission of lock on seems...interesting? To be perfectly honest normal was a cake walk and on hard I am being one shotted.
The game's biggest weakness is that there isn't a difficultly between Normal and Hard.

Haly

I ideally, there would be a way to control exp/level growth. So you can play on Normal but be underleveled, which would be the best of both worlds.

Hm I'll try hard then-at least I can switch on the fly.

I'd be fine with hard if the game didn't waste my time so much in between deaths. I just died and respawned ages away. I have to manually confirm a message each time. Really? Then I thought oh shit now I have to fight all these enemies again. But they didn't respawn - why the hell do I have to walk all the way back? Why not just put a vending machine there? Why do I stop sprinting when I pass over stones and rubble?

And sheesh don't get me started on dying in the tutorial...

Guess I just really gotta look at it like a Souls game. My fault for not researching enough.

Ferrio

Banned

I'd be fine with hard if the game didn't waste my time so much in between deaths. I just died and respawned ages away. I have to manually confirm a message each time. Really? Then I thought oh shit now I have to fight all these enemies again. But they didn't respawn - why the hell do I have to walk all the way back? Why not just put a vending machine there? Why do I stop sprinting when I pass over stones and rubble?

Guess I just really gotta look at it like a Souls game. My fault for not researching enough.

Stop looking at it as a souls game and look at it like a JRPG except you have 1 chance to recover before having to reload the game. If you don't wanna fetch your body, then just load your last save like you'd normally do in any other JRPG.

chrono01

The tripping is a Yoko Taro thing, as is the sliding in the desert/tunnels. You can avoid the tripping most of the time (avoids un-even debris) and the bushes while running will break your sprint so just go around them. As for the sliding...there's no way to by-pass that. Sliding is life, better get used to it.

As for the dying in-game, as mentioned above, just treat it like a JRPG. Personally, I saved frequently so anytime I died I'd just re-load my save. It didn't happen much, since I played on Normal my first time through, but mistakes did happen.

Alright, I'll start saving all day every day.

Also might have not realized that I was picking up so many valuable chips - I thought everything I was picking up was a temporary boost. Just cleared the desert, I'll run back and upgrade my storage space.

The tripping is a Yoko Taro thing, as is the sliding in the desert/tunnels. You can avoid the tripping most of the time (avoids un-even debris) and the bushes while running will break your sprint so just go around them. As for the sliding...there's no way to by-pass that. Sliding is life, better get used to it.

As for the dying in-game, as mentioned above, just treat it like a JRPG. Personally, I saved frequently so anytime I died I'd just re-load my save. It didn't happen much, since I played on Normal my first time through, but mistakes did happen.
Did he say something about it in an interview?

chrono01

Did he say something about it in an interview?
I want to say he did, but I can't recall.

For some reason, the moment I first tripped in-game, as well as slid to all hell in the desert area, the first thing that came to my mind was "classic Yoko Taro!". I'm not sure if the reason I came to that conclusion was because I read about it earlier in an interview as a thing he included for no reason, or if it's just something I expected from him. Either way, none of them personally bothered me.

Alright, I'll start saving all day every day.

Also might have not realized that I was picking up so many valuable chips - I thought everything I was picking up was a temporary boost. Just cleared the desert, I'll run back and upgrade my storage space.
To add to this (you probably know this anyway), but once you unlock the vending machines, you can save outside of them, as long as you're in-range of them. It'll appear on-screen, whether you can quick-save or not. Given how the vending machines are placed, once you unlock a number of them (as well as the range themselves being decent), you should find yourself being able to quick-save pretty often, even when you're out doing side-quests or whatever.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
So I'm guessing I just haven't found an answer for this yet but
the sun is always in the sky and there is apparently no night time? That uhhh seems like a big deal that is only barely touched on most of the way through Route B

Ferrio

Banned
So I'm guessing I just haven't found an answer for this yet but
the sun is always in the sky and there is apparently no night time? That uhhh seems like a big deal that is only barely touched on most of the way through Route B

It was talked about in the original game where there was no night.

I've almost done all the side quests for the sake of doing all the side quests and filling up the Unit Entry data-log is super daunting. I'm not even sure where to start.

Also I'm still listening to the OST and I think this is one of the most understated and emotionally evocative songs in the ost. I know that for a side area leading to
Emil's House
isn't super eventful or full of dialogue, but it had a real effect on me. I don't think I've ever heard a more lonely sounding song.

NieR Automata OST - Blissful Death

chrono01

I've almost done all the side quests for the sake of doing all the side quests and filling up the Unit Entry data-log is super daunting. I'm not even sure where to start.

Also I'm still listening to the OST and I think this is one of the most understated and emotionally evocative songs in the ost. I know that for a side area leading to
Emil's House
isn't super eventful or full of dialogue, but it had a real effect on me. I don't think I've ever heard a more lonely sounding song.

Yeah, it's amazing.

I literally just finished listening to Disc 2 again. Damn, when Marina Kawano starts crying near the end of Weight of the World...ugh. It gets me every time. ;_;

Astrael

Emil's House

I love that track, too. It plays another time
(I think during one of the VN-style sections? I really need to do another playthrough soon)
so was glad when I found it played again.

Honestly the more mellow tracks like this, like the Bunker background music, too, I could leave on loop forever and never get tired of it.

burgerdog

Just got ending A, totally wasn't expecting the game to end there. What happened to my side quest progress? I only finished 23% of them :0

LotusHD

Banned

Emil's House

You're not alone there.
It made the area feel not just lonely, but extremely creepy. Like if I had gone in there blind and not know what to expect (Hell even despite me knowing), I'd be a little frightened to venture further. Just felt so ominous to me.

Speaking of the amazing OST... they're having another concert.

tumblr_oo13izFTqX1ql1k21o1_540.jpg

I need that Mug & Poster... stat.

Neufr0

Neo Member
When I think about it, Jackass reminds me a lot of Kainé. The way she talks
especially in the last file from ending C
is really aggressive, just like her. I wouldn't be surprised if she had screamed "Weiss you dumass" out of nowhere.

I wish the game had more development for her. Hell, having her as an ally or playable character would have been great.

LotusHD

Banned
When I think about it, Jackass reminds me a lot of Kainé. The way she talks
especially in the last file from ending C
is really aggressive, just like her. I wouldn't be surprised if she had screamed "Weiss you dumass" out of nowhere.

I wish the game had more development for her. Hell, having her as an ally or playable character would have been great.

I'm low-key mad that she didn't get any concept art at the very least. In terms of prominence, she was up there imo, so it would've been nice to see

Finished C, D and E tonught. What a ride. I'm really happy this game sold well. I want to see what Yoko can do with a bigger budget. This is definitely in my top 3 ps4 games. I'm heading over to the spoilers forum now.

Kyonashi

Man I really feel like even though I spent 40 hours in this game there's so much lore I'm missing in the weapon stories/intel etc. I don't necessarily feel I have the emotional connection some people do because I didn't make the same connections on a lot of stuff? For example, I did 2B's sidequest about 6O, but not 9S's about 21O. I really want to go back and discover more cause I have a lot of questions, but I also have Persona now and
I sacrificed my save :'(

killatopak

Gold Member
I think I'm gonna make a new playthrough on hard and opt not to play p5. Gonna wait for the guides and 100% s.links to drop.

Excited to help everybody in the world for this playthrough.

KingV

So I'm getting stuck on one of the first missions
when you have to get the stuff for one of the traders in the resistance base... I need the Small Gear and it just plain never drops. I keep going back to the place that it directs me to, but the enemies never drop the item I need. I do now have two of everything else I need though :-/

Is there anything else I can do to get that stupid item?

killatopak

Gold Member
So I'm getting stuck on one of the first missions
when you have to get the stuff for one of the traders in the resistance base... I need the Small Gear and it just plain never drops. I keep going back to the place that it directs me to, but the enemies never drop the item I need. I do now have two of everything else I need though :-/

Is there anything else I can do to get that stupid item?

Sometimes the quest items aren't dropped by enemies but are already spawned items on the ground.

Top Bottom