• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NieR: Automata |OT| "I wouldn't expect too much from this game if I were you."

Gbraga

I have a question about Ernst (route B spoilers):
Which Ernst is it making reference to? Bloch makes thematic sense because of his work on utopias and all that, it perfecetly relates to the story of creating a paradise for machines. However, in route B we learn that Immanuel actually posessed Ernst's memories before A2 slayed him (which was a nice addition, I must say, even though I wasn't sure about it at first). Which would also make sense for him to reference Cassirer, a Kantian philosopher.

I guess it could also be both, though, didn't consider it before writing this post. I heard there's a very famous opera singer called Simone (sorry, I'm completely ignorant on the subject), so it's probably not a coincidence that this is the aesthetic they went for with the Simone boss fight, even though her story is clearly meant to evoke Simone de Beauvoir, with the damage caused by impossible beauty standards and with her coming to the conclusion that life as "the Other" is meaningless.

Spuck-uk

Banned
About halfway through through route B at the moment, does much of the gameplay change? Because at the moment, with the exception of the new ability, the quests seem 90% identical to route A, just with some verrrry disturbing cutscenes.

Gbraga

About halfway through through route B at the moment, does much of the gameplay change? Because at the moment, with the exception of the new ability, the quests seem 90% identical to route A, just with some verrrry disturbing cutscenes.

There are some sidequests that are only available on Route B, if you're enjoying them.

Finaj

Is there ever a fast travel function in this game? Going across long stretches of the world to complete side quests that seem to be made intentionally far apart is frustrating as hell.

LotusHD

Banned
Is there ever a fast travel function in this game? Going across long stretches of the world to complete side quests that seem to be made intentionally far apart is frustrating as hell.

There is, you'll unlock it naturally as you progress through the game. I'd advise doing sidequests after you get it.

gngf123

Yes and it opens up fairly quickly. You can save the sidequests until then.

UV-6

So I'm getting stuck on one of the first missions
when you have to get the stuff for one of the traders in the resistance base... I need the Small Gear and it just plain never drops. I keep going back to the place that it directs me to, but the enemies never drop the item I need. I do now have two of everything else I need though :-/

Is there anything else I can do to get that stupid item?

Same thing happened to me last night. This particular quest must be bugged.

Reloading did the trick, like poster above suggested.

Struct09

Yes and it opens up fairly quickly. You can save the sidequests until then.

But don't save the sidequests for too long or you will lose the opportunity to do them (until a later playthrough from what I understand), the game has a point of no return and doesn't give you a heads up. I found that out the hard way and am severely disappointed.

feel

This is a very special videogame. Just got ending E after being totally absorbed for around 100 hours (I took things slow), what an amazing ride! ❤️

I'm off to read the spoiler thread.

Speaking of the amazing OST... they're having another concert.

tumblr_oo13izFTqX1ql1k21o1_540.jpg

I need that Mug & Poster... stat.

I wish I could go to that so bad.

A translation seems to imply a few bug fixes.

That is for the japanese version. (Notice how those comments are from a month ago.) The japanese version recently got it's newest patch 1.06, while the US version has been sitting on version 1.03 all this time. (Which is NOT the same as japanese version 1.03 btw.)

If we finally got a new update (I haven't checked on my PS4 to see if it's true and can't find any info about it anywhere else.) than our 1.04 would be the equivalent of Japan's 1.06.

Which would be a bit worrying as 1.06 seems to have broken more than it fixed and the issues are as of now unresolved.

https://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/168677-nier-automata/75175005

So do all the endings require full play through? I just finished ending A.. Not much to the story so far but if all endings require a full play through I'll never see it lol.

Mailbox

So do all the endings require full play through? I just finished ending A.. Not much to the story so far but if all endings require a full play through I'll never see it lol.

Okay. So.
Think of them as chapters or arc.
You have played through about 1/3rd of the game.

Just keep playing, you'll get it.

chrono01

A full play-through isn't until you reach Ending E. Anything earlier than that, and you haven't truly finished the game yet.

Enjoy!

Okay. So.
Think of them as chapters or arc.
You have played through about 1/3rd of the game.

Just keep playing, you'll get it.

Just keep playing like normal on your save file. You'll understand

A full play-through isn't until you reach Ending E. Anything earlier than that, and you haven't truly finished the game yet.

Enjoy!

Lol ok I'll keep playing :) first ending was fun/interesting at least

Ah, fuck.
I got the through ending e and I let the game delete my safe file to help other people in the bullethell shooter sequence of the final credits.

chrono01

Ah, fuck.
I got the through ending e and I let the game delete my safe file to help other people in the bullethell shooter sequence of the final credits.
At least your loss won't be in vain!

Sorry though. I'm planning on doing a separate save file, once I finish 100%'ing my current one, to offer up. I'll want to replay this game anyway, so I might as well help other people when I'm done with it. I'll be keeping my primary though, too many memories there (not to mention it being complete once I finish everything.

AHA-Lambda

I'm trying to upgrade all my weapons now to max, is it ok to sell machine cores (and other stuff that says 'can be exchanged for money')?
I just don't want to be caught out on something after having sold loads of these cos it'll get me loads of money :/

At least your loss won't be in vain!

Sorry though. I'm planning on doing a separate save file, once I finish 100%'ing my current one, to offer up. I'll want to replay this game anyway, so I might as well help other people when I'm done with it. I'll be keeping my primary though, too many memories there (not to mention it being complete once I finish everything.

Thanks!
I'm planning to replay it too. Such a brillant game.

Ferrio

Banned
I'm trying to upgrade all my weapons now to max, is it ok to sell machine cores?

Yes, but they sell for more in each additional route. So don't sell them until you actually need the money, otherwise just let them sit in your inventory to gain more value.

J_Viper

Christ, Route B was an absolute slog. I find myself asking why they couldn't just add those "revealing" cutscenes into Route A. Why did I have to play through the same exact game again with
a less mechanically interesting character
?

I really hope I never have to hack again either.

That "preview" at the end though, now that looks interesting.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
It just means that 2B has a nice ass.

First trophy earned, Hey What are you doing!

I'm a perv =

Well someone on GAF posted the review of all reviews about NieR, now I just started playing

Somehow already 5 hours in and I just came to the Resistance camp and told to go to the desert
Too busy running around killing stuff, fishing and resource hunting (this is gonna be the death of me I know it!)

Enjoying the game, interesting mechanics with chips!
It awesome you can fuse to make stronger chips, very cool aspect that made me go Holy Shit, that's SMART!

I've read some of the posts, looks like save desert rose
So save all the 7500 worth items?
Have 1 rose and 1 ancient alien mask so far

By the way what's up with these locked boxes, I can't open them for shit
Guessing it's a hack thing to come back to retrieve them?

Whales

Banned
I just finished route E

Fuckin great ass game man

Gonna have to hop into the spoiler thread to understand the story more thofor example I didnt understand very well the ending of route C

killatopak

Gold Member
I'm trying to upgrade all my weapons now to max, is it ok to sell machine cores (and other stuff that says 'can be exchanged for money')?
I just don't want to be caught out on something after having sold loads of these cos it'll get me loads of money :/

Yep it's safe. Also stock up on beast hides.

LotusHD

Banned
Christ, Route B was an absolute slog. I find myself asking why they couldn't just add those "revealing" cutscenes into Route A. Why did I have to play through the same exact game again with
a less mechanically interesting character
?

Wouldn't work as well imo, information overload and what not.

I really hope I never have to hack again either.

giphy.gif

Zunja

I said I got it for the game play and not the story. I'm currently on what I imagine is ending c and man its crazy. This game is way more interesting than I thought it would be. Also some of the ending are really funny like g. It's been a blast so far and as I learn more I keep getting more and more questions.

Do you have a japanese copy? I heard the current patch did something to the english menus.

No. Some of the menu is messed up. I cant read it to change the Y=Axis. I cant play with the Y-Axis not reversed. =(.

Maybe someone could walk me through it?

Edit: Figured it out finally through trial and error. I hope this doesnt affect the game too much.

Gameplay Question on Route B

every time I hack an enemy, it just explodes. But I see all the chips about "raise level of controlled enemy ". Am I doing something wrong that they're all exploding and I'm supposed to be controlling them or something instead

every time I hack an enemy, it just explodes. But I see all the chips about "raise level of controlled enemy ". Am I doing something wrong that they're all exploding and I'm supposed to be controlling them or something instead
You have to do it when they're not aggro'd

Make sure the robot your hacking hasn't noticed your presence and you get a couple of extra options for when they're hacked

Top Bottom