• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NieR: Automata |OT| "I wouldn't expect too much from this game if I were you."

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Do I have to open the locked chests in route B only?

You'll be able to go back and collect weapons once you unlock chapter select so you don't need to worry about doing all of it.

burgerdog

You'll be able to go back and collect weapons once you unlock chapter select so you don't need to worry about doing all of it.

Hm ok, someone mentioned chapter select earlier for side quests too. Time to just sit back, enjoy this shit and stop worrying about missing things.

Gbraga

Ok, finally finished the sidequest I wanted to finish since Route A but ended up getting locked out of. Damn, it hit me hard.

When I got out of the elevator, saw the lunar tears and Kainé's theme started to play, it already made me feel my chest heavy, but ok, it's mostly because of the reference. But then when the quest concludes and your reward is a Lunar Tear, that just destroyed me, for some reason. I hope I'll keep that reward for future playthroughs, it doesn't look too good on 9S, but it should be cool for 2B or A2.

82% of sidequest completion, I think tomorrow I'll finish up Route B for sure. No idea how long the rest will take, though, and if I can do it during the weekend. 51 hours so far.

EdmondD

Ok, finally finished the sidequest I wanted to finish since Route A but ended up getting locked out of. Damn, it hit me hard.

When I got out of the elevator, saw the lunar tears and Kainé's theme started to play, it already made me feel my chest heavy, but ok, it's mostly because of the reference. But then when the quest concludes and your reward is a Lunar Tear, that just destroyed me, for some reason. I hope I'll keep that reward for future playthroughs, it doesn't look too good on 9S, but it should be cool for 2B or A2.

82% of sidequest completion, I think tomorrow I'll finish up Route B for sure. No idea how long the rest will take, though, and if I can do it during the weekend. 51 hours so far.

Yeah that hit me hard too.
Kaine Salvation is one of my favorite songs from Nier. I always wore the Lunar Tear.

Whales

Banned
Can I get multiple pod weapon slots? Or is that just one equip at a time? Also is there a quick change weapon set button?

use the dpad on ps4, you can quick change weapons, use items quickly, change pod quickly with it too

dunno whats the button on pc

Haly

Can I get multiple pod weapon slots? Or is that just one equip at a time? Also is there a quick change weapon set button?
One at a time, per pod.

Left/Right D-pad to change pods. Up D-pad to change weapon sets. Down D-pad to access consumable items.

There's a second shortcut with Select (or Back on an Xbox Controller).

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Two random side quest questions. Like 3 quarters of the way through Route B

1. What's the deal with
Wise Machines?

2. Am I missing something with fishing? It feels like no matter where I do it on both runs so far I'm still catching the same dozen or so fish/robot fish.

Haly

1. What's the deal with
Wise Machines?
It's just one machine you're finding over and over again.

2. Am I missing something with fishing? It feels like no matter where I do it on both runs so far I'm still catching the same dozen or so fish/robot fish.
You need to change up the places where you fish. Try the
Flooded City.

Should I sell material that says 'can be exchanged for money'? I'm finding conflicting results on google ranging from "useless, sell 'em" to "keep them for crafting".

LotusHD

Banned
Should I sell material that says 'can be exchanged for money'? I'm finding conflicting results on google ranging from "useless, sell 'em" to "keep them for crafting".

If it says that, then sell that. Yes, including the Machine Cores.

I think the only exception is the Desert Rose?

Haly

Well Boar Meat and Moose Meat are also used for one sidequest but it's not really difficult to farm.

Haly

deeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep

loooooooooooooooooooooooore

I have been converted.

I never thought much of the original NieR's soundtrack, but I just had a transformative experience watching last April's live concert for the first time.

;___;

I need to find a console that can play this fucking game. remake pls

On a more related note, I was shocked by how much of Automata was 100% complete so early. I didn't even remember the game's trailer from that concert, and having beaten the game more times than I can count, it's almost Death Stranding-esque in the way that you can tell the game was basically fully formed in Yoko Taro's mind for years.

Tain

and now i'm
on the elevator in the A2/9S section
at level 53 on Hard and all the boss stuff is level 60 and I feel kinda boned lmao. I wish I could go level up, or at least load a prior save, but that doesn't seem to be an option.

this may take a while

edit: man, the save system of this game is awfully confusing at times. I can roll back a little after all.

edit number two no i cannot

Ferrio

Banned
and now i'm
on the elevator in the A2/9S section
at level 53 on Hard and all the boss stuff is level 60 and I feel kinda boned lmao. I wish I could go level up, or at least load a prior save, but that doesn't seem to be an option.

this may take a while

edit: man, the save system of this game is awfully confusing at times. I can roll back a little after all.

edit number two no i cannot

Put it to normal if you have to. Hard's difficulty can be frustrating at times on how tanky stuff can be + 1 hit deaths.

I switched back to normal for a few sections cause it was really killing the story flow.

Tain

Put it to normal if you have to. Hard's difficulty can be frustrating at times on how tanky stuff can be + 1 hit deaths.

I switched back to normal for a few sections cause it was really killing the story flow.

I forgot that was an option, good to know. The fight almost becomes a parody with how many
character switches
there are near the end, but maybe that's how it normally is.

Metaroo

Just finished up
Ending E
. I want to play more and complete all the side quests, but I think I want to get to max level first. Where do I go to grind up Gaf?

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Just beat Route B. Interesting couple of revelations coming near the end. Just started Route C but think I'll be stopping for the night. Hoping to beat the last couple routes this weekend an have beaten most of the side quests so far.

LotusHD

Banned
Just finished up
Ending E
. I want to play more and complete all the side quests, but I think I want to get to max level first. Where do I go to grind up Gaf?

Golden Bunny statue in the amusement park with 9S. Hack into a robot, then hack into the bunny itself.

Robiin

Uhm, I downloaded Nier this morning. It started automatically when it was ready. Played through the opening and now I am stuck in an apparent install screen.

What the fuck.

Will the game let me know when it is done and let me move on or do I have to quit out and play everything again?

I was really enjoying the mission, but now it feels like time wasted. So pissed, I have to go to work soon...

EDIT: Went into notifications, apparently it is only at 35/49 GB downloaded. When finished, will it recognize this or do I have to replay? Specifically if I put the PS4 in rest mode, because I need to leave.

Mailbox

Uhm, I downloaded Nier this morning. It started automatically when it was ready. Played through the opening and now I am stuck in an apparent install screen.

What the fuck.

Will the game let me know when it is done and let me move on or do I have to quit out and play everything again?

I was really enjoying the mission, but now it feels like time wasted. So pissed, I have to go to work soon...

EDIT: Went into notifications, apparently it is only at 35/49 GB downloaded. When finished, will it recognize this or do I have to replay? Specifically if I put the PS4 in rest mode, because I need to leave.

you should be fine if you leave it in rest mode.

Robiin

you should be fine if you leave it in rest mode.
Thanks. Google searching led me to one reviewer who had this problem and he said he had to play it again.

The download says it'll be finished in ten minutes and I have to leave in 20. So at least I'll be able to check. Thanks again!

I always have been curious about this series. One thing I'm wondering - this applies both to NIER and NIER automata - do you actually have to play through the game many times to see the different endings ? Or are the subsequent play through considerably faster for some reason? Even an RPG I like I have a hard time imagining beating twice - but five times seems like torture. Am I missing something ?

LotusHD

Banned
I always have been curious about this series. One thing I'm wondering - this applies both to NIER and NIER automata - do you actually have to play through the game many times to see the different endings ? Or are the subsequent play through considerably faster for some reason? Even an RPG I like I have a hard time imagining beating twice - but five times seems like torture. Am I missing something ?

As far as Automata is concerned:

There is Route A. Then afterwards, you only have to replay it once for Route B
from a different perspective
, and even that route has its differences and added content that will become obvious as you play through it. Route C and onwards is completely new content.

LotusHD

Banned
But is every route like a standard 50 hours ish RPG?

No, the entire game (Routes A-E) takes about 40-50 hours to beat.

Additionally, for Route B, it is significantly shorter to get through as opposed to Route A, due to you knowing what to do, and having stronger moves in general.

Additionally, for Route B, it is significantly shorter to get through as opposed to Route A, due to you knowing what to do, and having stronger moves in general.
Ah ok. Thanks ! This makes it much less intimidating.

killatopak

Gold Member
I have been converted.

I never thought much of the original NieR's soundtrack, but I just had a transformative experience watching last April's live concert for the first time.

;___;

I need to find a console that can play this fucking game. remake pls

On a more related note, I was shocked by how much of Automata was 100% complete so early. I didn't even remember the game's trailer from that concert, and having beaten the game more times than I can count, it's almost Death Stranding-esque in the way that you can tell the game was basically fully formed in Yoko Taro's mind for years.

I mean he had made stage play prior to the game. It's vastly connected to the story of the game and is about the
Pearl Harbor Descent
so all the ideas and the state of the world are already there.

AHA-Lambda

Ugh, this grinding for levelling weapons is f*cking brutally mind numbing

Why can't
Emil
just spawn where I need him to? >_<

Baalzebup

Played through the opening mission last night. What does leveling do? I'm level 4 but didn't see any changes or choices.
Replenish your HP to full and increases numbers like maximum HP, attack and defense. There are no skill points or anything like that. That kind of stuff is under the OS chip system which is entirely removed from anything you get from XP.

BumRush

Replenish your HP to full and increases numbers like maximum HP, attack and defense. There are no skill points or anything like that. That kind of stuff is under the OS chip system which is entirely removed from anything you get from XP.

Oh okay, thanks! And how do I earn new chips?

noomi

Finally started, prologue kicked my ass 3 times... on normal. Then took me back to the fucking start... c'mon, really?

Hope the rest of the game actually has some better save points, or else fuck this.

I do like it so far, very fun combat.

Jintor

Finally started, prologue kicked my ass 3 times... on normal. Then took me back to the fucking start... c'mon, really?

Hope the rest of the game actually has some better save points, or else fuck this.

I do like it so far, very fun combat.

save points aplenty. Just... it doesn't autosave, so don't get complacent.

Gbraga

Question about Emil:
The first time we meet him in his shop, he'll tell us that he lives down below, very very deep. Is it just a flavor dialogue or do we get to go there? The deepest place I can think we visit is the Alien Ship, does it have something to do with that hologram girl that appears for a second?

Or maybe it's something for route C only?

It's just one machine you're finding over and over again.

Not true,
you can see machine 3 from point 2, and vice-versa.

LIES.

Top Bottom