• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NieR: Automata |OT| "I wouldn't expect too much from this game if I were you."

Domaje

Shit Square Enix
why are you forcing me to buy a Ps4 to play Automata.

raw

Hektor

One indication is that some reviewers might stop playing after Ending A not realizing they still had a shitload of the game's story to go, like some people did with Drakengard 3 and Nier 1.

Automata is going extra lengths to make sure this doesn't happen.

If it still does that would be beyond sad

Dio

Banned
Automata is going extra lengths to make sure this doesn't happen.

If it still does that would be beyond sad

Well, that's good to hear. I'm still waiting for my NA preorder of course, so I'm feeling pretty sad that I have to wait. Then again, I only paid 36 dollars for it thanks to the Best Buy deal so I'm willing to wait - and since Nier Automata NA release date is my birthday, I can play it on my birthday.

Gbraga

I'm seeing people mention the amount of different endings you can get in the middle of the game. Can I still load my last save and continue with that ending recorded in my save file or do I have to start over for every one I get?

Have we seen any indication for that somewhere (i.e. some initial impressions from the press)?

Not that this would change anything for me.
It's got a lot of rough edges
Normal mode is very punishing
Large empty areas
Lots of backtracking
Samey weapons
Too weird
2Booty4u

I think the game is fantastic so far, but it's easy to see how reviewers who couldn't even handle Nier's fishing will rip into this. And you know most of them won't even bother with the multiple endings.

LotusHD

Banned
Yeah, this is the last game I'd judge the quality based on review scores.

This. I knew what I signed for. Still, a higher MC likely means more successful/sales for Yoko Taro and co., and would be nice to see after all the previous poor ones he's gotten, so hopefully the game reviews extremely well.

If people really don't bother with the endings though for whatever reason, that'd really tick me off lol

Hektor

Can the fishes and junk be used to upgrade anything?

Yes

I'm seeing people mention the amount of different endings you can get in the middle of the game. Can I still load my last save and continue with that ending recorded in my save file or do I have to start over for every one I get?

Some have you reloading your last savergame, some others have you restarting.
So watching streams Ive seen 2 endings

Take out your CPU and Self destruct on the space station.

any idea how many total there are?

it looks like there is the entire alphabet.

AerialAir

Banned
It deserves it though.

No it doesn't. It might look bad, admittedly, it does. But it is a very subversive and creative game with a fantastic soundtrack. It's a very emotional game, though it isn't for everyone, and that's why platinumgames developed this one. Even if the story is full of Taro's craziness, gameplay looks really solid.

ebil

Just made it past the first (second?) boss
Adam-------
. Yeah, this is a Taro Yoko game all right.

It's fantastic so far. The attention to detail is great and I'm loving the RPG side of it. And the combat is so smooth, but this is nothing new if you've played the demo.

so i found POD C
in the desert
so i'm guessing there's a POD B i'm missing! Any idea where it is?

Also, for the third part of the quest
Where you race a flying machine
, is there a way to do it fairly or should i have
speed improvement
chips?

Thanks!

Hektor

Route C new enemy type spoiler

Enemies that lower the resolution of your game

lmao

when is the embargo lifting? it would help if it's not 2 days before launch, give the reviewer some time

I don't think there is any official information out there regarding an embargo

Makikou

Oh my the
Amusement Park zone
is fucking fantastic.
The music is fantastic and the lyrics seem to be about YoRHa or am I just mishearing the words?

Also question for those who have played through first playthru:
Do you guys think it's necessary do side-stuff? I've done some sidequests from Pascals village etc meanwhile the main objective is to go locate the signal in that huge crater in city ruins. Feels i'm atleast 6lvls under enemy levels but I dont know how much levels mean. Wish I could upgrade my swords but some of the materials seem quite rare.

DevilDog

No it doesn't. It might look bad, admittedly, it does. But it is a very subversive and creative game with a fantastic soundtrack. It's a very emotional game, though it isn't for everyone, and that's why platinumgames developed this one. Even if the story is full of Taro's craziness, gameplay looks really solid.

It does. Getting a low score doesn't mean that the game is void of all positives. It means there are enough negatives to drag it down. Which there are.
What did you want it to get? A 9? 8? Witcher 3 got a 9, do you think that's fair?

Makikou

I've never imported anything on PSN before.

Would anyone help me with the steps needed to purchase the HK version of this off PSN?

Create a new user on PS4, change country to Hong Kong
Buy HKD 500$ card from play-asia
Redeem it on Hong Kong PSN Store
Buy NieR: Automata on browser or on your PS4 with the hong kong psn user by going to PSN store on the console and get the one that is released (aka Japanese/English)

One indication is that some reviewers might stop playing after Ending A not realizing they still had a shitload of the game's story to go, like some people did with Drakengard 3 and Nier 1.

Usually games come with instructions for reviewers, don't they?

Kazuo Hirai

I really want everyone to know how much more Titanfall 2 sold than Nioh. It was a staggering amount.
Usually games come with instructions for reviewers, don't they?
No man finish No Man Sky
Just an example, it's obviously not NMS
But I thought reviewers would play more if it's fun enough ,just like Nioh

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
It does. Getting a low score doesn't mean that the game is void of all positives. It means there are enough negatives to drag it down. Which there are.
What did you want it to get? A 9? 8? Witcher 3 got a 9, do you think that's fair?

The frustrating thing about the original Nier was that not a single critic seemed to have bothered playing past the first ending; not one. A situation that was very obvious because the NG+ cycle in Nier is such a unique and noteworthy piece of game design it seems literally inconceivable to me that it would pass unmentioned.

Although that being said Okabe's remarkable soundtrack didn't get too much mention either, but I guess that's par for the course as audio is an aspect of games thats often sadly overlooked by mainstream reviewers.

But anyway, point is this: Pretty much every review was complimentary about the Nier's story, in spite of them missing literally the most important parts in the NG+ cycles! Crazy!

I think personally its entirely possible for a game to be so strong in certain areas that it cancels out any and all shortcomings elsewhere. So seeing reviewers missing out on the most audacious and clever parts of an aspect they seemed generally positive about led me to an unshakable conviction that they really underrated the game terribly.

jonjonaug

Yes

Some have you reloading your last savergame, some others have you restarting.

it looks like there is the entire alphabet.

Uh, wow.

Can you spoil which endings
do a full restart, if you think they wouldn't be too spoilery (not in route C or beyond, for instance)
? Do any of them waste a significant amount of time?

Help a guy out who hasn't read all 44 pages:

Why are people expecting OK scores? I know Nier received a 68 average, but the demo to Nier: Automata was quite fun. I would expect 70s unless the same enemies appear for the full 10 hour-ish experience (assuming it's the length of a standard action game).

kromeo

Why are people expecting OK scores? I know Nier received a 68 average, but the demo to Nier: Automata was quite fun. I would expect 70s unless the same enemies appear for the full 10 hour-ish experience (assuming it's the length of a standard action game).

Ugly/bland area designs certainly won't help it in reviews

Neoweee

It seems like a well-made RPG, with well-made mechanics, which Nier 1 really wasn't. Nier 1 did a ton of awesome, creative things with its plot and structure, but combat and gameplay really wasn't that good.

It's much bigger than a standard action game, due to how it handles its multiple endings, etc.

Hektor

I've just seen something hilarious on twitter omg

Not really a spoiler, but before someone gets mad

You can buy trophies for ingame money https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C5bwLNpXEAEMXAX.jpg:large

Uh, wow.

Can you spoil which endings
do a full restart, if you think they wouldn't be too spoilery (not in route C or beyond, for instance)
? Do any of them waste a significant amount of time?

It's only the joke endings tho. The ones that had me restart where the "die in the first mission" as well as a "desert a mission" ending, not sure if that's the case for all of them.

Top Bottom