• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NieR: Automata |OT| "I wouldn't expect too much from this game if I were you."

LotusHD

Banned
So I'm looking at Zelda preview gameplay, and I realized one thing it shares in common with Nier is their approach with NPCs. In that they got voice acting for certain characters, namely the important ones, but everyone else just gets text, although Zelda goes a bit of an extra mile and gives them a little bit of grunts and what not. It's cool because I just realized it's such an obvious solution to being able to giving consumers the ability to talk to all the NPCs, as developers don't have to worry about doing voice acting for every single NPC (Because it's admittedly a lot of work); instead they just can focus on that for the more important ones.

Wish more games would do that, I don't think I'd ever not look forward to that.

SilentRob

The review guide literally has the sentence

"THE GAME IS NOT OVER WHEN YOU THINK IT'S OVER"

in all caps. They sure as hell want to make sure everyone is aware of that^^

Innolis

HK released the day before yesterday. It's how most of us have been playing, since it's cheaper than JP.

EDIT: Make sure you don't get the Chinese version! That one doesn't come out til April.

Yeah, just figured it out! For some reason the HK store is also selling a version with more languages that releases on the 27th. Downloading now!!

Hektor

There are so many things happening in this game that put me legit in awe or put a big smile on my face in terms of action set pieces.

While there's a lot of typical open world combat and quests, the story mission feels paced and have a quality to them like you usually only know from extremely linear games.

If the story ends satisfying this is absolutely a game for the ages.

Only thing i have to complain about as of now is that the cast doesn't really come close to the one of the first NieR overall.

Tho there's still a lot of great banter between the characters nonetheless.

pezzie

Just picked it up now from the HK psn because screw waiting nearly another 3 weeks for the EU release.

Yeah, just figured it out! For some reason the HK store is also selling a version with more languages that releases on the 27th. Downloading now!!

They said they fixed it in the latest patch, but just to be safe, don't launch it before the entire 48gb is finished downloading (see full download at notifications > downloads). You can run and play the game at just 10gb, but there was a game breaking glitch that bugged one of the starting main quests and you couldn't progress.

Without spoiling anything being knowledgeable of philosophers like Jean-Paul Sartre and Simone de Beauvoir can make some parts of this game even more interesting.

Or at the very least more amusing :)

JayEH

Damn big story event just happened and looks like some side quests can't be completed anymore.

Can someone tell me how to get the ending where
You desert the mission?
I can't figure that one out

When the giant robot is in city ruins don't go to the mission.

Philippo

There are so many things happening in this game that put me legit in awe or put a big smile on my face in terms of action set pieces.

While there's a lot of typical open world combat and quests, the story mission feels paced and have a quality to them like you usually only know from extremely linear games.

If the story ends satisfying this is absolutely a game for the ages.

Only thing i have to complain about as of now is that the cast doesn't really come close to the one of the first NieR overall.

Tho there's still a lot of great banter between the characters nonetheless.

Thar's the Platinum Seal of Quality i guess.

Whelp. Guess I missed it. I'm at
the part just after the forest kingdom and I saw A2

There will be more options to
desert
later on, I'm not sure if they give different endings, I assume they do since the ending I got seemed to mention where I
deserted

Anyways, later on something will happen at
the resistance camp. If you desert during that it will trigger an ending.

I might cave over the weekend and download the JP or HK version...

I wanted to wait until my BB got here but I can't stay away from the thread. I've been dodging spoils but still....

SaniOYOYOY

ill be following this thread closely for you guys's impression :)

also spoiler question nier 1 spoiler
you guys know what is necessary to open ending c and d in nier? is the collect all weapon included?
because in automata
apparently liam can go trough a-e without grinding much, so probably ending f is still happening

Just beat ending A and no spoilers, but man.

My absolute favorite thing about Yoko Taro and what makes playing through all his games so fulfilling, way more so than the lore or plot, is seeing him reflect and comment on his previous works. The guy can't help it. Playing through the Drakengard and Nier games you get to see his mind and philosophy constantly developing and evolving, and that willingness to think back to his previous work critically is both incredibly refreshing and essentially nonexistent elsewhere in gaming.

Basically I wanna give that weirdo a big ol' smooch

They said they fixed it in the latest patch, but just to be safe, don't launch it before the entire 48gb is finished downloading (see full download at notifications > downloads). You can run and play the game at just 10gb, but there was a game breaking glitch that bugged one of the starting main quests and you couldn't progress.

Thank you for the warning I will wait for it to be fully installed before touching it.

Just beat ending A and no spoilers, but man.

My absolute favorite thing about Yoko Taro and what makes playing through all his games so fulfilling, way more so than the lore or plot, is seeing him reflect and comment on his previous works. The guy can't help it. Playing through the Drakengard and Nier games you get to see his mind and philosophy constantly developing and evolving, and that willingness to think back to his previous work critically is both incredibly refreshing and essentially nonexistent elsewhere in gaming.

Basically I wanna give that weirdo a big ol' smooch

It's not just reflecting on his earlier works but also constant reflections on life and general philosophy. Very few games with similar budget feel like they have social commentary like this. At surface level it seems like a regular action videogame but deep down it's so so much more.

There will be more options to
desert
later on, I'm not sure if they give different endings, I assume they do since the ending I got seemed to mention where I
deserted

Anyways, later on something will happen at
the resistance camp. If you desert during that it will trigger an ending.
Well hopefully I can still get it. Sucks if I'm just locked out of it.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Square Enix EU just took payment which is odd because it's not due out for a few weeks

Mrmask

Just got an email for stock for being on the waiting list. Got one! Now to cancel my ebay order and save $200. So excited.

Can't cancel the order it seems, just hope the guy is nice enough to accept a return or else I will have to figure something out.

Shit Square Enix
why are you forcing me to buy a Ps4 to play Automata.

raw

Did this last night.

JPS Kai

Here's an odd bug.

When I started the game before the full install finished, I went down to Earth for my first mission and 11B was in the hangar offering a quest to go find her memento. This was the same play through where the toolbox wasn't loading in.

So, I deleted my save and started over from scratch. At the same part I was at before, 11B is nowhere to be seen around the hangar.

Is that quest supposed to show up later on or am I going to miss out on 11B's quest?

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Here's an odd bug.

When I started the game before the full install finished, I went down to Earth for my first mission and 11B was in the hangar offering a quest to go find her memento. This was the same play through where the toolbox wasn't loading in.

So, I deleted my save and started over from scratch. At the same part I was at before, 11B is nowhere to be seen around the hangar.

Is that quest supposed to show up later on or am I going to miss out on 11B's quest?

The play--go system is broken, patch 1.03 fixes it I think but it may just prevent you from starting before 100% installed.

I know this isn't that important, but I received an email from the Square Enix Store telling me that I can order the Black Box Edition of NieR Automata again!!! I'm so happy! You don't know how sad I was when my order was cancelled due to an issue with my card that really shouldn't have happened. I was super super close to buying one from ebay or getting things piece by piece. I know some think it's too expensive for what it is but I'm just super glad that I managed to get another one again!

Mrmask

I know this isn't that important, but I received an email from the Square Enix Store telling me that I can order the Black Box Edition of NieR Automata again!!! I'm so happy! You don't know how sad I was when my order was cancelled due to an issue with my card that really shouldn't have happened. I was super super close to buying one from ebay or getting things piece by piece. I know some think it's too expensive for what it is but I'm just super glad that I managed to get another one again!

I kept rooting for you behind my screen :D

Top Bottom