• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NieR: Automata |OT| "I wouldn't expect too much from this game if I were you."

DevilDog

The frustrating thing about the original Nier was that not a single critic seemed to have bothered playing past the first ending; not one. A situation that was very obvious because the NG+ cycle in Nier is such a unique and noteworthy piece of game design it seems literally inconceivable to me that it would pass unmentioned.

Although that being said Okabe's remarkable soundtrack didn't get too much mention either, but I guess that's par for the course as audio is an aspect of games thats often sadly overlooked by mainstream reviewers.

But anyway, point is this: Pretty much every review was complimentary about the Nier's story, in spite of them missing literally the most important parts in the NG+ cycles! Crazy!

I think personally its entirely possible for a game to be so strong in certain areas that it cancels out any and all shortcomings elsewhere. So seeing reviewers missing out on the most audacious and clever parts of an aspect they seemed generally positive about led me to an unshakable conviction that they really underrated the game terribly.
I know, reviewers fucked up on that part, however if the game is a chore to play through once, playing through it again won't change much, and will in fact make the ugly parts stand out more.

As for the ost, while it is indeed fantastic, it got tiring in game after you heard the same 10 second loop for the millionth time, and the music was so loud too.

So in a weird way, the score I think is fair.

Help a guy out who hasn't read all 44 pages:

Why are people expecting OK scores? I know Nier received a 68 average, but the demo to Nier: Automata was quite fun. I would expect 70s unless the same enemies appear for the full 10 hour-ish experience (assuming it's the length of a standard action game).

Looks like the A-ending leaves you unsatisfied and many believe reviewers won't bother to play past that. They certainly didn't with Nier 1, so they've got a point.

Caim

I think they just released Patch 1.03.

It's giving me a server connect error and won't let me download it.

EDIT: Nevermind, restarting my PS4 fixed it.

Nier1 had tedious sidequests and some parts showed its lower budget, but generally the gameplay was good. In some parts it was even outstanding. Many games are remembered badly when they try to change the core gameplay for certain sections. Just look at other PG games like Bayonetta, whose deviating non-combat gameplay is usually complete shit. Nier did it constantly, however none of it is ever bad. At worst it's average, at best its great and a fun surprise.
If there ever was an absolutely underrated game, it's Nier.

Ugly/bland area designs certainly won't help it in reviews

It seems like a well-made RPG, with well-made mechanics, which Nier 1 really wasn't. Nier 1 did a ton of awesome, creative things with its plot and structure, but combat and gameplay really wasn't that good.

It's much bigger than a standard action game, due to how it handles its multiple endings, etc.

Looks like the A-ending leaves you unsatisfied and many believe reviewers won't bother to play past that. They certainly didn't with Nier 1, so they've got a point.

Didn't even know there were multiple endings. Cool!

Is the A-Ending, without spoiling what happens or anything like that, unsatisfying like Chrono Cross' worst ending is? Because when I got that ending, I wtf'd until I realized I forgot to do something essential. =P

Mendrox

Didn't even know there were multiple endings. Cool!

Is the A-Ending, without spoiling what happens or anything like that, unsatisfying like Chrono Cross' worst ending is? Because when I got that ending, I wtf'd until I realized I forgot to do something essential. =P

Haven't you played NieR? it's exactly like that this time too except that there are many more endings. Every main ending is an important part of the whole story. Second, third and even fourth playthroughs are required to see the whole game and it doesn't get boring because the game throws you a bone in the third playthrough and everything changes up here and there. Hard to explain, but Yoko Taro games are supposed to be played through more than twice.

Nier1 had tedious sidequests and some parts showed its lower budget, but generally the gameplay was good. In some parts it was even outstanding. Many games are remembered badly when they try to change the core gameplay for certain sections. Just look at other PG games like Bayonetta, whose deviating non-combat gameplay is usually complete shit. Nier did it constantly, however none of it is ever bad. At worst it's average, at best its great and a fun surprise.

Absolutely love Automata's non-combat gameplay though. The shoot-em-ups sections are fun.

Haven't you played NieR? it's exactly like that this time too except that there are many more endings. Every main ending is an important part of the whole story. Second, third and even fourth playthroughs are required to see the whole game and it doesn't get boring because the game throws you a bone in the third playthrough and everything changes up here and there. Hard to explain, but Yoko Taro games are supposed to be played through more than twice.

Never played the first, but I liked the demo to this one.

LotusHD

Banned

I love games that try to shake things up (when it's successful of course) I was already heavily interested in Nier Automata through just the action itself. Then as I began hearing that I could expect all this other stuff, and after my experience with the demo, this game easily became my #2 game I'm most hyped for.

SaniOYOYOY

Does anyone know exactly how many hours it takes to finish all endings/playthroughs/etc?

I had to spoiled myself, since im only able to play on ps4 in summer.

one of the
stream did route a-e
in 30 hour in normal, including side quest , but still missing many thing
its honestly complicated... for all of you who want to play the game but afraid of repeatability and short length, dont be. just go in an enjoy

if I can summarize this game in a sentences its:
no game should have this much power

I can pm you impression

edit: spoiler and duration

Qvoth

have listened to about 20+ of the songs, man i'm really disappointed
wtzgU.gif

Labolas

Clemps, Liam, and Maximilan (who thought it was going to be more of an action game than RPG) are loving it. Well, I think this is a positive sign.

one of the stream did route a-e in 30 hour in normal, including side quest , but still missing many thing
its honestly complicated... for all of you who want to play the game but afraid of repeatability and short length, dont be. just go in an enjoy

I can pm you impression of the entire a-e if you like

Me too pls...

Jb

one of the stream did route a-e in 35-40ish hour in normal, including side quest , but still missing many thing

I'm getting the game regardless but this is what I wanted to hear :)

Yu Narukami

one of the
stream did route a-e
in 30 hour in normal, including side quest , but still missing many thing

I can pm you : impression

edited for spoiler and duration
What do you mean with this much power?

SaniOYOYOY

What do you mean with this much power?

they really want to try to be everything, and from gameplay and narrative standpoint it really works. well except for ingame ability spoiler
' not witch time'
which only there because of platinum lol. its feels like they purposely pick the theme of robots and android to complement for those kinda gameplay

LotusHD

Banned
they really want to try to be everything, and from gameplay and narrative standpoint it really works. well except for ingame ability spoiler
' not witch time'
which only there because of platinum lol. its feels like they purposely pick the theme of robots and android to complement for those kinda gameplay

Yea I see what you mean. It was really smart of them to go with badass androids in a futuristic setting, because theoretically you can give them whatever powers you want, or make them do things that are normally impossible for the average open world protagonist such as double-jumping.

Does anyone know exactly how many hours it takes to finish all endings/playthroughs/etc?

51 Hours 23 Minutes 18.5 Seconds exactly... or maybe it depends on how quickly you play perhaps?
The team have said about 10 hours for the first ending with 50-55 hours to clear everything depending on how quickly you play.

GrayChild

Did they fix the bug that occurs when playing the game before it is fully downloaded?

Yes. This is the full change log for version 1.03:

- PlayGo bug fixed, i.e. when you start playing before the full game has been downloaded, in digital download versions.
- Corrected some item names.

The latter being related to the NIN64 "controversy".

SaniOYOYOY

Yea I see what you mean. It was really smart of them to go with badass androids in a futuristic setting, because theoretically you can give them whatever powers you want, or make them do things that are normally impossible for the average open world protagonist such as double-jumping.

another thing to highlight. I cant remember when the last time a game gave so much toolkit to explore its world freely. this is (semi?)open world done right imho. empty yet charming and vast even on vertical level

LotusHD

Banned
another thing to highlight. I cant remember when the last time a game gave so much toolkit to explore its world freely. this is (semi?)open world done right imho. empty yet charming and vast even on vertical level

My most recent example is Kat from Gravity Rush, who just basically "flies" everywhere, but yea, I wish developers would create games with more traversal options. Whether that be a skillset of the protagonist themselves, or more innovative ways to travel beyond a car or a horse, it all really does a lot in terms of making the world more fun/interesting to explore.

I really hope reviewers actually play the full game this time rather than stopping at the first ending...

This game totally deserves at least that much.

SaniOYOYOY

My most recent example is Kat from Gravity Rush, who just basically "flies" everywhere, but yea, I wish developers would create games with more traversal options. Whether that be a skillset of the protagonist themselves, or more innovative ways to travel beyond a car or a horse, it all really does a lot in terms of making the world more fun/interesting to explore.

another thing in the backlog :D been wanting to play but the queue just doesnt end man

So, if I were to go through the trouble of making a Japanese PSN account, would I be able to play the game on my US account once it has finished downloading to my PS4, or would I have to be logged into the JPN account?

pezzie

So, if I were to go through the trouble of making a Japanese PSN account, would I be able to play the game on my US account once it has finished downloading to my PS4, or would I have to be logged into the JPN account?

Set that Japanese PSN account to use your PS4 as its primary, and you can play logged into your US account.

Top Bottom