• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NieR: Automata |OT| "I wouldn't expect too much from this game if I were you."

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
The general vibe here seems kinda odd. I feel like people dance around questions and people don't want to criticize their beloved game. I absolutely believe the game is probably pretty good but hearing stuff like "I don't regret my purchase" from multiple people who are praising the game is just not a good sign. I am looking forward to hearing more impressions about it and will probably join you guys once the PC version decided to show up.

The issue being that a lot of people probably got on board the hype train for different reasons and are now coming back down to earth. A readjustment of realistic expectations.

This is a Yoko Taro game first and foremost afterall. Does not mean the game is not great in the ways expected for Yoko Taro. Yeah the game is on a budget obviously, but it will exceed the sum(pun intended) of its parts without a doubt as the biggest Yoko Taro game ever, and most polished without a doubt.

Kanann

And this game isn't even 10%-20% budget of FFXV. LOL

Yu Miyake "Muwahahaah, eat my short, Division 1 and 2!"

The general vibe here seems kinda odd. I feel like people dance around questions and people don't want to criticize their beloved game. I absolutely believe the game is probably pretty good but hearing stuff like "I don't regret my purchase" from multiple people who are praising the game is just not a good sign. I am looking forward to hearing more impressions about it and will probably join you guys once the PC version decided to show up.

Very few people understand or appreciate great weird arts or concept, but some also trapped in elite theorism for liking hipster games.

Dio

Banned
The issue being that a lot of people probably got on board the hype train for different reasons and are now coming back down to earth. A readjustment of realistic expectations.

This is a Yoko Taro game first and foremost afterall. Does not mean the game is not great in the ways expected.

The hype train was laden down with Platinum fanboys who STILL didn't understand what they were going to get. I constantly talked to people who thought this was going to be like MGR or Bayonetta all over the internet.

I'm coming into this with my expectations set at "Drakengard 3 or better." Apparently, it far, far surpasses my expectations, even though I loved D3.

I felt the same way about the first Nier. I was just forcing myself through the gameplay sections. I enjoyed the creative stuff they did, and some parts the story and world were top notch but I was not really motivated to play the clunky combat or run around in the world. After I finished it I knew trying to go for the different endings right away would just make me hate a game I found pretty good overall on a first playthrough.

Now that I have no PS3 I thought there is no way I'd go back and revisit Nier so I went ahead and watched the endings and can't help but feel like all these did was just pad the game unnecessarily? It just feels cheap to make an ending piecemeal when it could have stood just as strongly if they extended the first ending with the other scenes. They could have combined A, B, C and E and called it a day. Or at the very least made it two endings: A/B/C/E or A/B/C/D and it would have been stronger for it IMO. I even found that ending C takes away some impact from earlier scenes so it would be better without it.

I understand that this ending system is pretty unique and I guess some people enjoy it but I just don't see the point. Not everyone can bang out a 40 hour game in a couple of days.

Sorry to go on an off topic rant here, I guess it is somewhat related. For Automata, I am glad to hear that at least the multiple paths are different so that is a good thing. It's unfortunate about the PS4 performance issues, which I am sad to say, caused me to cancel my PS4 preorder until I figure out what the situation is with the PC version.

I hope you didn't literally just watch the endings. Route B adds a huge new element to the story that presents itself throughout the playthrough.

As for Automata, I've listed lots of problems with it previously, but I still love it so far, and I expect my fondness for it to grow as I finish the other endings.

Nier 1 is at 68. If anybody this game is gonna get anywhere near that, they are delusional. I expect an 80 to 85..its just as quirky and 'experimental' as Grav rush 2 but with a story and combat and a soundtrack that blows that game out of the water as someone who thinks that game is super great

To begin with your only taking the negative impressions of people in this thread into account and discounting the positive ones
Early to mid 70s. Ill be be happy to be proven wrong.
Offcourse there are positives, which are largely the same as nier 1 plus good combat.
Im not criticizing it, Im merely saying on surface level its not a huge upgrade from nier 1.
If people seriously think modern reviewers will disregard dated visuals, poor performance, bugs, 2b's ass and replay the story multiple t9 get the most out of it and then give a sincere impression, more power to you.
From the impressions so far the story is just as crazy and good as 1, some say its less so. Some say the music is as good as 1, some say its not. Combat is universally deemed better, but some are disappointed by the lack of the depth from other platinum titles.
Thay doesnt sound like a 20 point jump in mc scores to me.
Again, im not saying its fair, im saying its what i expect to happen when the reviews come.

Inuhanyou

The hype train was laden down with Platinum fanboys who STILL didn't understand what they were going to get. I constantly talked to people who thought this was going to be like MGR or Bayonetta all over the internet.

I'm coming into this with my expectations set at "Drakengard 3 or better." Apparently, it far, far surpasses my expectations, even though I loved D3.

Yeah...i can't say i did love D3 myself....actually going through the lore is amazing, but playing through that slog by access games..jesus. As bad as time i ran through deadly premonition on 360.

When you play games in your younger days(like i did for D1), it doesnt seem as annoying as when your a full on adult.

Aeana

I've played this game for 25 hours and I never would've known that it has clothing destruction if someone didn't mention it. And I'm still not sure I've ever noticed it in my own game.

Automata is a very good game. I have zero qualms recommending it to anyone.

But as good as it is, I would also say the game does a poor job of masking its flaws.

Once you've come out of the demo area and go into the open world, you can see where this is Platinum's first open world game (at a budget) and in different parts of the game, where it benefits being an open world game and where you would think "if this was more linear, it would've been a lot tighter."

Relique

Thanks for the honest replies Inuhanyou, Kanann, and KO Traveling Hobo. I assure you my expectations and hype were in check and it looks like this is exactly what I expected it to be. I'll admit at first I had visions of grandeur of a game with DMC3 level of depths combined with the best aspects of the first game but after playing the demo very very extensively, I knew what to expect. This is still a day one buy for me but on PC, I will not put myself through framerate drops.

I hope you didn't literally just watch the endings. Route B adds a huge new element to the story that presents itself throughout the playthrough.

As for Automata, I've listed lots of problems with it previously, but I still love it so far, and I expect my fondness for it to grow as I finish the other endings.

You are right that is what I did. I just looked up the changes in playthrough B and I admit they are pretty cool. I still stand by my suggestion that this could have been condensed into two playthroughs/endings. I honestly would have been much more likely to play two but playing so many times just seemed so daunting that I just gave up. I am sure there are many who think the same way, particularly those who work and go to school or have other time consuming obligations.

Roussow

Okay I saw some shit in the desert that needs context, all of my free time is split between playing Automata and watching a fairly comprehensive Nier LP.

Ubernube

But as good as it is, I would also say the game does a poor job of masking its flaws.

Once you've come out of the demo area and go into the open world, you can see where this is Platinum's first open world game (at a budget) and in different parts of the game, where it benefits being an open world game and where you would think "if this was more linear, it would've been a lot tighter."

Aye. Honestly, I hope this isn't the last time Yoko and Platinum work together on a game, it's pretty clear they gel very well together. A third Nier (or Drakengard) could be spectacular since they can just build off what they've already done with this game and improve upon things.

Basically, pls sell well, I needs more Yoko/Platinum shenanigans.

BiggNife

Yeah, I think that's pretty accurate. The prologue definitely has a layer of polish that the rest of the game doesn't in terms of visuals and performance.

I also feel like a lot of people are going to buy this game based on the demo without knowing that it doesn't really represent the full game in terms of design and structure and are going to be super disappointed. This game was clearly made for Yoko Taro fans first and Platinum fans second.

DNAbro

After listening to a lot of the soundtrack, I'm having a hard time choosing whether I like Persona 5's or Nier's for OST of the year so far. They are very neck and neck.

And Zelda will hopefully be fighting for it as well.

I don't see any other games this year coming close.

Slaythe

There is no way the ps4 version of this game gets 85% .

I'm not trolling, it's physically impossible, it would demand that reviewers ignore every other action RPG and have basically no standards when it comes to performance.

I'm not trolling, it's physically impossible, it would demand that reviewers ignore every other action RPG and have basically no standards when it comes to performance.

If you have to say "I'm not trolling" before explaining yourself, then maybe you've repeated your point too bluntly and too often?

We get it, you have an issue with the performance, and it's not always 60fps buttery smooth.

That doesn't mean it's nearly as bad as you're making it out to be.

Slater

Banned
Man some of you are way too defensive.
Im out
I'm not being defensive it's just stupid to try and make judgements on a game you haven't played. Even the demo didn't have clothing damage like that if you didn't know even that how can you honestly criticize the rest at all?

Other people who have actually PLAYED the game are allowed to talk. I personally think it'll end up right around XV MC wise

Inuhanyou

Bayo 1 and 2 both stand at around 90 meta despite having the same FPS issues.

Especially bayo 2 which drops to low 40s and even 30s at points.

Okay I saw some shit in the desert that needs context, all of my free time is split between playing Automata and watching a fairly comprehensive Nier LP.

Lol. I think i know what your referring to in the desert. Yeah shit gets going.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Yeah, I think that's pretty accurate. The prologue definitely has a layer of polish that the rest of the game doesn't in terms of visuals and performance.

I also feel like a lot of people are going to buy this game based on the demo without knowing that it doesn't really represent the full game in terms of design and structure and are going to be super disappointed. This game was clearly made for Yoko Taro fans first and Platinum fans second.

What are they expecting then?

Although to be honest, if after playing the demo they're expecting a semi-linear, staged action game (something like Bayonetta), then they're in for a surprise.

Jiraiza

No amount of FPS drops will take away from the greatness that is the Automata OST.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster

So, umm what open-world action rpg's run at a flawless 60fps on console so as to conform to your "standards" ?

I'm not being defensive it's just stupid to try and make judgements on a game you haven't played. Even the demo didn't have clothing damage like that if you didn't know even that how can you honestly criticize the rest at all?

Other people who have actually PLAYED the game are allowed to talk. I personally think it'll end up right around XV MC wise

Yeah same here.

Definitely one of my GOTY though, but it might probably just get around 80-85 in MC tops.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.

This is so true.

I'm playing the game right now and I can say it's a great game but don't expect something ultra fancy like Bayonetta. It's very NieR-ish but with a much improved gameplay over the first.

Not to mention, and like what I've reiterated, this game has a feel that's more or less similar to FFXV + NieR 1.

BiggNife

What are they expecting then?

Although to be honest, if after playing the demo they're expecting a semi-linear, staged action game (something like Bayonetta), then they're in for a surprise.

You pretty much answered your own question.

A lot of the preview footage and trailers have presented this as another Platinum action game in the style of something like Rising or Bayonetta. I think there are going to be a good amount of people who have never played a Yoko Taro game going into this thinking it's nonstop action and they're probably going to be pretty unhappy when they find out the game isn't really that.

Squishy3

I've played this game for 25 hours and I never would've known that it has clothing destruction if someone didn't mention it. And I'm still not sure I've ever noticed it in my own game.
You make the ass come out by self-destructing. Even then, there's an item available to buy later that you can equip to remove the clothing destruction. (There's also a neat animation when equipping it)

I think eventually if you take enough damage without reloading your save you might see it naturally as I've noticed partial clothing destruction, so maybe self-destructing just immediately fulfills whatever the damage quota is, since it puts you into a limping state.

The framepacing, stuttering issues is better than Dark Souls 3 and Bloodborne, so it's not really a problem.

JayEH

Games with not great performance still get good scores. Dark Souls 1 on console was absolutely horrible for example.

Slater

Banned
For what is worth I said it before but it's my GOTY and it's not leaving that spot for shit.

I already know as good as Zelda might be its story and themes aren't going to be able to touch this, not even close.

going back through to clean up quests i missed and I think the Speed Star is bugged for me. I beat him to the goal but then the "can't talk to this" icon came up, then I teleported and came back and he's back at the start position and the goal ring is active, and I still can't talk to him...

Huh. Ending K. Go figure.

aji wo kutta na

JayEH

going back through to clean up quests i missed and I think the Speed Star is bugged for me. I beat him to the goal but then the "can't talk to this" icon came up, then I teleported and came back and he's back at the start position and the goal ring is active, and I still can't talk to him...

aji wo kutta na

were there hostile enemies around?

Kanann

OST alone can put this game to 9/10 ;)

Too bad original NieR has a shitty game play and very low budget production value.
But this time Platinum came to rescue.

Production still shitty budget, anyway.

TissueBox

I don't know if this'll be my GOTY but it is the game I waited this year for along with P5 and it turned out very strong. It is also a game that sounded conceived in a 'post your dream collab' thread and guess what, the result could've been much worse. I think even the disappointed will come out warming up to this game eventually. For some there won't be enough tea in the cup, but for others they will be entranced by the cup enough to forgive it.

Holy shit I just started C.

Holy shit holy shit holy shit.

That credits drop as you flee the bunker.

YEP. See: earlier post a couple pages back where I go 'This game my god the chills', it was for this moment lol. Loved it.

Top Bottom