• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NieR: Automata |OT| "I wouldn't expect too much from this game if I were you."

Oneself

Once you've come out of the demo area and go into the open world, you can see where this is Platinum's first open world game (at a budget) and in different parts of the game, where it benefits being an open world game and where you would think "if this was more linear, it would've been a lot tighter."
It's just that I'm not into open world games as they are today; fetch quests, lack of good level design, poor enemy encounters, too much empty space etc. The Automata demo didn't feel like an open world game at all.

I'm not being defensive it's just stupid to try and make judgements on a game you haven't played. Even the demo didn't have clothing damage like that if you didn't know even that how can you honestly criticize the rest at all?

Other people who have actually PLAYED the game are allowed to talk. I personally think it'll end up right around XV MC wise
Hey maybe im wrong and it IS a semi linear platinum style over the top action game with great graphics and excellent performance. I wouldn't know since i haven't played it and im not allowed to speak unless im praising it.
Let alone the fact that im not even criticizing it.
Not defensive, whatever.
See you peeps in the review thread.
Hope i don't find you disregarding reviews saying 'thats not hos this is supposed to be played'

Aeana

There is no way the ps4 version of this game gets 85% .

I'm not trolling, it's physically impossible, it would demand that reviewers ignore every other action RPG and have basically no standards when it comes to performance.

Why would they have to ignore every other action RPG? Look at how FF15 did. If that game can score like it did, I don't see how a game with much better gameplay could do worse.

I also think you're being a bit harsh about performance. The drops are extremely noticeable, but it is at least near 60 FPS most of the time. People talking about performance make it sound like it's dropping into the 20s regularly.

It's just that I'm not into open world games as they are today; fetch quests, lack of good level design, poor enemy encounters, too much empty space etc. The Automata demo didn't feel like an open world game at all.

Nier Automata is not like you described.
Frankly, it's no more open world than the original Nier, aside from having seamless transitions instead of segmented loading zones.

Dio

Banned
I also think you're being a bit harsh about performance. The drops are extremely noticeable, but it is at least near 60 FPS most of the time. People talking about performance make it sound like it's dropping into the 20s regularly.
This. Everything I've heard and seen indicates it's not Drakengard 3 where a boss I fought literally went into the sub-one frame per second range.

Ubernube

Why would they have to ignore every other action RPG? Look at how FF15 did. If that game can score like it did, I don't see how a game with much better gameplay could do worse.

Nier Automata is not like you described.
Frankly, it's no more open world than the original Nier, aside from having seamless transitions instead of segmented loading zones.

Just curious, but which version are you playing? The Pro or base version? I'd imagine the Pro version being significantly better than the base version in terms of handling drops or things like that. Hopefully the base version is alright, since I don't feel like investing in a Pro or waiting for the PC version.

convo

The differene i feel from hearing the Nier Soundtrack in highschool and hearing this game's soundtrack well into college makes me desire the soundtrack even more. Hits me right to the core. I wonder if every song has an 8-bit variant.

(major C route spoilers)
Fucking lol'd. The NEETbot is still safe and sound chilling in his hut in Pascal's village behind an unopenable door. A hero to us all.

I don't know if this'll be my GOTY but it is the game I waited this year for along with P5 and it turned out very strong. It is also a game that sounded conceived in a 'post your dream collab' thread and guess what, the result could've been much worse. I think even the disappointed will come out warming up to this game eventually. For some there won't be enough tea in the cup, but for others they will be entranced by the cup enough to forgive it.

YEP. See: earlier post a couple pages back where I go 'This game my god the chills', it was for this moment lol. Loved it.

I decided to open the menu while 2B is infected and shiiiiiiit they totally went as far as to fuck up the whole menu UI.

The attention to detail in this game is so good.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I don't think framerate performace issues heavily affect the scores.

Look at The Last Guardian, there are parts where it reaches 20 FPS (it's very noticeable) but it's still highly regarded.

What matters is that if it's a good game, it's a good game.

Just curious, but which version are you playing? The Pro or base version? I'd imagine the Pro version being significantly better than the base version in terms of handling drops or things like that. Hopefully the base version is alright, since I don't feel like investing in a Pro or waiting for the PC version.

I'm playing the base version and I rarely experience drops (in some certain locations, happens in a split second).

wmlk

How many towns does this game have? The only town looking area from the impression videos that I saw was pretty much the equivalent of the starting area town in Nier. Is there anything like Seafront or Facade? I remember the actual high points in the game's story was at Facade because you were introduced to a new group of people with a unique belief system.

BiggNife

Wonder when the US embargo lifts. Maybe release day?

It feels really weird that the game is technically out and completely in English and yet no major outlet has a review.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
How many towns does this game have? The only town looking area from the impression videos that I saw was pretty much the equivalent of the starting area town in Nier. Is there anything like Seafront or Facade?

Re: Towns (spoilers)

I've experienced 2 towns so far. One is the Resistance Camp and the Robot Village, it's not quirky like Facade but all the robots are more on the innocent side. Sadly there's no town equivalent to Facade or Seafront.

convo

Those are pretty good points, the people really trying to give this game no quarter are on the hardcore side of gaming compared to people who enjoyed FF15 with all its current flaws.It is a vocal minority who are currently mostly posting right now in this thread. It really shouldn't be much of a problem for this game to find success.

jonjonaug

How many towns does this game have? The only town looking area from the impression videos that I saw was pretty much the equivalent of the starting area town in Nier. Is there anything like Seafront or Facade? I remember the actual high points in the game's story was at Facade because you were introduced to a new group of people with a unique belief system.

Spoilers:
There are only two locations in the game with NPCs living in an organized fashion, plus a couple of outposts with 2-3 or so NPCs. One of those is the Resistance Camp, the other is a small village of sorts.

Regarding performance: There were a few places where I noticed lower than usual framerate, but it's not really a big deal. Especially after Drakengard 3 I'm just happy to have a Yoko Taro game that doesn't decide to play at less than a single frame per second at times.

addik

Man, sure the game isn't exactly a looker, but the atmosphere really sucks you in, and the vistas you get from time to time look amazing. In some ways, it made me remember that Wii game, Fragile Dreams. Some of the cutscene direction reminds me of Studio Ghibli
particularly ending A

I want to continue but I have so much due this week, I might be only able to continue next week :(

One thing I was gonna mention but keep forgetting to.

I actually quite liked Final Fantasy XV (not goty or anything, but I had a good time). I think Automata is a significantly better game overall, but the one thing that really strikes me is how much better the cutscene direction is.

Grade A action choreography, excellent shot choice. It all feels really deliberate.

jonjonaug

This speed star quest is some bs lol

As far as I can tell you need to stack move up chips to win the last race. For the last race I ended up just using a separate chip configuration made up of all the move up chips I had, then jumped off the building and went around and to the left.

ULTROS!

Wait, there's chips that affect how fast you are? This game has everything lol

There are chips that allow you to auto battle.

Like you dont need to press the buttons to fight anymore lol.

Jiraiza

As far as I can tell you need to stack move up chips to win the last race. For the last race I ended up just using a separate chip configuration made up of all the move up chips I had, then jumped off the building and went around and to the left.

Nah, you don't need speed chips. The small sword evade + air heavy is your best friend for that one.

Yeah, maxed at 20% up but still crazy. The gap between part one and part two is no joke

ULTROS!

Yea I know about that, they've covered it multiple times. But I didn't think they'd give you stuff that affecta your speed too lol

The game has everything, it even
allows you to fucking buy PSN trophies

Relique

For what is worth I said it before but it's my GOTY and it's not leaving that spot for shit.

I already know as good as Zelda might be its story and themes aren't going to be able to touch this, not even close.

"it's just stupid to try and make judgements on a game you haven't played"

Slaythe

FFXV had more varied stuff to do and the bestiary was also quite varied while in Nier it's not, more incentive to go explore, it also had production values to help coping better with some flaws i guess.

As for the technical aspects, let's just call it different standards ok ?

Any game that does this is NOT in a good state.

6c3b9c4c2e7df41e2a24766ad24b45a2.jpg

FFXV had more varied stuff to do and the bestiary was also quite varied while in Nier it's not, more incentive to go explore, it also had production values to help coping better with some flaws i guess.

50 hours in the game.

Never had that. What is that even?

Kanann

Nah.

Played 50 hours and I encounter this issue once while doing racing quest.

Aeana

I only ever encountered this upon failing the racing quest.

Slaythe

It happened to me several times and I have never tried the racing quest. (they are recorded on video btw if you call me a liar)

Funny I guess.

But it's not like it's not stuttering and the framerate isn't plummeting on a regular basis regardless of this load message.

Guess the bad reviews will be unlucky players like me. :)

Top Bottom