• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NieR: Automata |OT| "I wouldn't expect too much from this game if I were you."

so.. I'm on my second trip through.. and I'm trying to do this side quest.. I can see the marker for it on the map, but I can't for the life of me figure out how to get there..

non-story spoilers
I'm trying to do the "Amnesia" side quest..where I'm looking for the woman in a red hood.. it's sending me to the area just before the desert proper.. it looks like the marker is above me but I can't figure out how to get there. I tried jumping off one of the buildings but there seems to be an invisible wall. I feel like I'm missing something obvious..

Fangel

Neo Member
so.. I'm on my second trip through.. and I'm trying to do this side quest.. I can see the marker for it on the map, but I can't for the life of me figure out how to get there..

non-story spoilers
I'm trying to do the "Amnesia" side quest..where I'm looking for the woman in a red hood.. it's sending me to the area just before the desert proper.. it looks like the marker is above me but I can't figure out how to get there. I tried jumping off one of the buildings but there seems to be an invisible wall. I feel like I'm missing something obvious..

In the middle of that area inside some rocks, there is a hole you can drop down to reach some caves.

Exentryk

Bless Platinum for the debug room.

qDwLWoy.gif

Glorious!

pezzie

Just finished route B. This game is so good. I loved that preview, it took everything I had to stop right now because I know if I just jump in I won't put it down.

The story is starting to get a lot more interesting. Route B added a lot of background stuff to think about, to the story you got in Route A.

Slaythe

Just finished route B. This game is so good. I loved that preview, it took everything I had to stop right now because I know if I just jump in I won't put it down.

The story is starting to get a lot more interesting. Route B added a lot of background stuff to think about, to the story you got in Route A.

They did a great job adding enough to keep it compelling despite rehashing a lot of things.

The game is pretty cool BTW, I'm just really annoyed at the ps4 performance. On PC this is gonna be great for sure.

Coda

How do you open the red doors and locked chests in the game?

I'm only asking now because I'm trying to locate 9S in that cavern/cave area and I just get to a dead end with a door with a red light. What do I have to do in order to progress the story? Also all my sub quests I had except for the Love Parade mission are gone from my Quests list now.

jonjonaug

How do you open the red doors and locked chests in the game?

I'm only asking now because I'm trying to locate 9S in that cavern/cave area and I just get to a dead end with a door with a red light. What do I have to do in order to progress the story? Also all my sub quests I had except for the Love Parade mission are gone from my Quests list now.

Doors with "red lights" are elevators that need some kind of key to open. The locked chests you can open on the B route.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
I love how things just get proceedingly crazier the further you go in in true Yoko Taro fashion. The man just has a sense of ratcheting things up to 11 that most directors don't try that i love

Coda

Doors with "red lights" are elevators that need some kind of key to open. The locked chests you can open on the B route.

Okay cool. But the mission where you have to find 9S after the large water battle stage, where is he in that cavern? I can get really close but there's a wall in-between us so I'm not sure where to find him.

Sayad

FFXV had more varied stuff to do and the bestiary was also quite varied while in Nier it's not, more incentive to go explore, it also had production values to help coping better with some flaws i guess.

As for the technical aspects, let's just call it different standards ok ?

Any game that does this is NOT in a good state.

6c3b9c4c2e7df41e2a24766ad24b45a2.jpg
Lots of GTA games did this, they must have been slaughtered by reviewers!

Ubernube

I love how things just get proceedingly crazier the further you go in in true Yoko Taro fashion. The man just has a sense of ratcheting things up to 11 that most directors don't try that i love

I remember Dingaling who worked on LISA (a game that is also very good at this) talked about the lack of this in games somewhere although I can't quite remember where I read it. Raising the stakes or upping the ante is something that a lot of games either lack or handle very poorly, especially these days.

jonjonaug

Okay cool. But the mission where you have to find 9S after the large water battle stage, where is he in that cavern? I can get really close but there's a wall in-between us so I'm not sure where to find him.

Did you try walking up to the elevator's call button and pressing O?

You sound like youre being generous since you listed even more flaws than I could think of.
And im not saying its a bad game, neither was 1.
Im saying itll review poorly for the above reason which simply cant be disregarded by everyone.
if youre in it for yoko taro its great game from the looks of it, but if youre not , and i cant imagine a lot reviewers being taro fans, then those are legitimate issues
I'm not in this game for Taro though, I'm in it for Platinum?

Samaritan

So I just reached what feels like a point of no return in my first playthrough, as most of my side quests are now unavailable and are marked with an X in my quest log. But I feel like it's too soon for that? And that some of these quests should still be available to me?

So without getting into spoilers, could I get some confirmation on whether I really am past a point of no return or not?
I just fought the machine kaiju boss and am now looking for 9S.

TissueBox

I remember Dingaling who worked on LISA (a game that is also very good at this) talked about the lack of this in games somewhere although I can't quite remember where I read it. Raising the stakes or upping the ante is something that a lot of games either lack or handle very poorly, especially these days.

Oh been meaning to play that game. Have definitely heard stories of the story lol. Will pull it out from my Steam library eventually..

TissueBox

So I just reached what feels like a point of no return in my first playthrough, as most of my side quests are now unavailable and are marked with an X in my quest log. But I feel like it's too soon for that? And that some of these quests should still be available to me?

So without getting into spoilers, could I get some confirmation on whether I really am past a point of no return or not?

Aftet that point, yeah won't have much luck until another playthrough/previous save.

Coda

I'm at the same spot. I'm reading on GameFAQs now that I'm pretty sure you can go back and complete them during other runs but a confirmation as to how that works would be nice. I never gave the 50,000 G to the Wandering Couple, is that quest off limits now? Also if you end up finding 9S let me know, I'm wandering around in this cavern with no avail.

jonjonaug

You are, but you unlock chapter select after clearing your third main story ending so you can go back later. Most quests on the A route are also available again on the B route.

I'm at the same spot. I'm reading on GameFAQs now that I'm pretty sure you can go back and complete them during other runs but a confirmation as to how that works would be nice. I never gave the 50,000 G to the Wandering Couple, is that quest off limits now? Also if you end up finding 9S let me know, I'm wandering around in this cavern with no avail.

Progress in quests you started but didn't complete is reset, but you can do them again.

Try the elevator again, some of them are story progress/quest specific

Inuhanyou

I feel like younger creators like Toby Fox also have taken pages from Yoko Taro...Drakengard and especially Nier has always felt the same way Undertale gives me the same feeling of clever manipulation, stakes and situations just growing until it reaches a breaking point

Samaritan

So I DID give the couple 50,000G before progressing, but it didn't complete the quest, and now the quest is marked as failed. So that's bizarre.

Also to find 9S, make sure you go right at the fork once you're in the tunnels. You'll know you're in the right place real quick.

jonjonaug

It's getting late so I'll get to D tomorrow lol

Quick question though
to get D, do I just need to make the other choice? I saw I unlocked a Chapter Select function as well, where do I access that?

Just load up your save file again. For ending D:
just go back to the final boss fight and pick 9S.

Jiraiza

It's getting late so I'll get to D tomorrow lol

Quick question though
to get D, do I just need to make the other choice? I saw I unlocked a Chapter Select function as well, where do I access that?

If you're sleeping, I guess you shouldn't get the endings. It'll make it hard to sleep.

TissueBox

I feel like younger creators like Toby Fox also have taken pages from Yoko Taro...Drakengard and especially Nier has always felt the same way Undertale gives me the same feeling of clever manipulation, stakes and situations just growing until it reaches a breaking point

Hah, yea I was just listening to an Undertale track and thought the same thing actually. Particularly that they both share that quality of being both exceptionally sensitive and considerably brutal in different angles.

Samaritan

You are, but you unlock chapter select after clearing your third main story ending so you can go back later. Most quests on the A route are also available again on the B route.

The side quests that are available again in the B route: they don't keep any progress you've made with them in the A route, right? Such as
Emil's
quest?

Still debating between this or Horizon.

But I'm in a weird spot because nioh has filled that action appetite and BotW will fill my open world hunger.

People don't seem as excited in here after playing this versus the horizon impressions. Nier fans harder to please?

LotusHD

Banned

But I'm in a weird spot because nioh has filled that action appetite and BotW will fill my open world hunger.

People don't seem as excited in here after playing this versus the horizon impressions. Nier fans harder to please?

Horizon plays it quite safe in comparison to this game. Take that how you will.

For people who have finished the game, I just
supposedly killed Adam in the fake city, rescuing 9S.
Any guess how far into main scenario I am? Wondering if I'm halfway yet.

Slaythe

Both games are great.

Horizon is definitely more "polished". Personally I couldn't decide between the two so I got both. Rip Wallet cause KH2ps4 and ME Andromeda come right after... then persona 5.

TissueBox

Haven't played Horizon but my conjecture (not just directly to you but in general): If you're a big Taro fan get this, otherwise Horizon. If you're a big Platinum fan, first keep in mind this is the next Nier game with Platinum's touch versus the other way around. If this bothers you then you should probably go with Horizon first. If you're a fan of both Taro and Platinum, see above. And lastly if you're completely new to both...then go with Horizon first and wait for reviews to get an idea.

As I said before though like its predecessor this is a game that will reward patience. It's not mic drop moment after mic drop. It's more like a slow, increasingly clever buildup.

I think if anyone's willing to have an open mind about this then they should definitely get this game at least later down the line when the smoke's cleared. Plus that way we'll get more Platinum/Taro and an even better sequel/prequel/project amirite?? *dreams*

Samaritan

You know what you're getting into with a game like Horizon, or even BotW to an extent. Unless you're intimately familiar with Yoko Taro's previous work, I guarantee you that you are not prepared for what you're getting into with a NieR game. If having your expectations regularly subverted is valuable to you, then you should give Automata a try.

Coda

Ahh I found the Copied City finally thanks, I didnt realize it was the underground caverns, I accidentally found Emil's place haha. I hope taking his mask wasn't a bad thing to do.

Inuhanyou

Hah, yea I was just listening to an Undertale track and thought the same thing actually. Particularly that they both share that quality of being both exceptionally sensitive and considerably brutal in different angles.

Its great cause it goes both ways, Yoko was into Undertale for a while as well too.

It hurts having to wait due to my refusal to spoil the music before playing.

Don't worry it'll be worth it when you start playing x)

Its not a perfect game, but no Yoko Taro game would be complete if it didn't have flaws x)

If your going in looking for the best Yoko Taro game yet with platinum combat, there's no better choice one could make

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
So I finished with the A ending. Do I need to know anything about playing again? Like, will I know which cutscenes to skip and what paths to take?

jonjonaug

The side quests that are available again in the B route: they don't keep any progress you've made with them in the A route, right? Such as
Emil's
quest?

The money sink quest on the road between the village and amusement park keeps its status, all others reset.

So I finished with the A ending. Do I need to know anything about playing again? Like, will I know which cutscenes to skip and what paths to take?

Route B will start the next time you start the game, there are no choices that can deviate you from it

Just let cutscenes play normally, for dialogue segments you can just press repeatedly or hold X (I forget which) to skip through the dialogue quickly.

Horizon plays it quite safe in comparison to this game. Take that how you will.

you finished it?
cause you cant really know how safe it plays without beating the story.

Honestly I dont think nier plays anything like nioh , and horizon and zelda feel like two very different games as well
For what its worth , theyre both seemingly equally long although nier has a gameplay structure that requires you to beat the game several times and its total playtime is inclusive of that
Personal opinion, wait for more reviews or impressions on nier and then decide which one to get.
Horizon seems like a safe bet for something youll enjoy while nier seems more experimental , you may love the hell out of it or but it may also frustrate you like nothing else.

So far there just seem to be smaller risk of things going wrong with horizon, though again, its just my opinion.
it looks great , runs great and plays great. story and presentation is ultimately your opinion but i doubt itll top nier.
nier on the other hand has some game design you may find questionable and ive been hearing of bugs and slowdowns.

Jiraiza

I can only imagine the tension is low around here because of how the endings make you feel. I feel like shit, personally. That's just me, though.

If you really have to ask, then I would give this game like a 8.5-9.5/10. Somewhere around there.

Inuhanyou

you finished it?
cause you cant really know how safe it plays without beating the story.

Its not exactly a criticism i don't think.

Its very hard for most games to match up with a Yoko Taro story regardless of how good their story writers are. Having previously been fully aqainted with games like Drakengard and Nier already, it actually ruined TLOU for me when everyone was singing its praises of the twists and turns. Not that it wasn't a good story, but the shocking parts felt predistrian compared to the absolute insanity Yoko Taro can get up to.

Only Spec Ops the line and Undertale in the past 5 years have pushed the type of boundary i'm talking about in terms of going down a certain path and being fully mindful of how the player perceives.

Having already spoiled myself on Horizon's story as well, its absolutely excellent in the ways i like my stories, most definitely the best story GG has ever told in a game(yes i know not a high bar...), but its def not approaching Yoko Taro.

Ubernube

I can only imagine the tension is low around here because of how the endings make you feel. I feel like shit, personally. That's just me, though.

If you really have to ask, then I would give this game like a 8.5-9.5/10. Somewhere around there.

Well, that, and a lot of the people who could contribute to the discussion are either playing through the game currently (it did just come out a few days ago and isn't exactly the shortest game in the world), or waiting for the game to come out since it isn't out yet in the west.

Top Bottom