• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NieR: Automata |OT| "I wouldn't expect too much from this game if I were you."

How long is this game if you do all the endings?

To throw my hat in the ring for what it's worth, I've gotten 4 endings so far, 1 real (A) and 3 joke (G, K, & W), and I've put in 23 Hours. (32% Quest Completion)

Just wondering though, since I hadn't finished the quests available to me at the time 100% before hitting the endgame of Ending A - can the
chapter select
feature help me go back and complete quests from before the endgame starts for Ending A?

The chapter select literally lets you choose any point in the game to replay. So if you need to replay just a certain section for a quest you can. I am personally replaying the whole game because I enjoyed it so much.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Route B is really wearing me out. Wish they hadn't handled it so slavishly.
That was my complaint, but on the other hand
they add so little sidequests, that you can just warp/ride animals between points to be done in a few hours
, so I didn't mind it THAT much.
Also, Route C is totally worth the slog in Route B.

Route B is really wearing me out. Wish they hadn't handled it so slavishly.

I thought Route B was fun, personally. It was very similar, yes, but it added a lot of new stuff and really added to the atmosphere.
The interactions between 9S and 21O were great too.
(vague, basic spoilers for route B)

How far in are you?

My PS3 broke the day my copy of NieR arrived. Out of luck on playing the first myself, so praying it gets ported to PC someday. Still really excited to jump in with this one though!

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
My PS3 broke the day my copy of NieR arrived. Out of luck on playing the first myself, so praying it gets ported to PC someday. Still really excited to jump in with this one though!

I feel most jealous for folks like yourself

Lol your first experience with Yoko Taro

Zolbrod

To throw my hat in the ring for what it's worth, I've gotten 4 endings so far, 1 real (A) and 3 joke (G, K, & W), and I've put in 23 Hours. (32% Quest Completion)

I'm still working my way through Route A (only 8 hours or so in), but I have 4 endings as well: N, T, U, and W.

Good luck finding all endings without help.

(route C spoilers)
I just got the third key for the Tower
and now my vacation is over and I have to wake up for work in 5 hours. I need to know what happens fuuuuck ;_;

I kind of wish I didn't spend so much time dicking around with Father Servo back in Route A. I could have at least finished this route.

Jiraiza

(route C spoilers)
I just got the third key for the Tower
and now my vacation is over and I have to wake up for work in 5 hours. I need to know what happens fuuuuck ;_;

I kind of wish I didn't spend so much time dicking around with Father Servo back in Route A. I could have at least finished this route.

Don't forget to check the
2B's flight unit
if you haven't already. Yes, I posted it earlier, but it needs to be repeated again!

TissueBox

Sh*t reminds me one of the most depressing, upsetting (third route spoilers, don't read unless you've finished it!)
moments in the game for me was fighting 210 while she expressed her true feelings in fragmented fashion towards 9S, and he held back crying to kill her...honestly along with what happened to Pascal that's one of the things that push my heart up the throat just by thinking about it. *shakes head* "I was...so...lonely..."

F*cking crushing, lmao. Particularly because of how subtly but consistently it's implied up 'til that point, then finally you learn she even overhauled herself into a combat model presumably just to protect 9S if I'm not mistaken? Whatever the case, what a heartbreaking love story, if it even counts.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Sh*t reminds me one of the most depressing, upsetting (third route spoilers, don't read unless you've finished it!)
moments in the game for me was fighting 210 while she expressed her true feelings in fragmented fashion towards 9S, and he held back crying to kill her...honestly along with what happened to Pascal that's one of the things that push my heart up the throat just by thinking about it. *shakes head* "I was...so...lonely..."

F*cking crushing, lmao. Particularly because of how subtly but consistently it's implied up 'til that point, then finally you learn she even overhauled herself into a combat model presumably just to protect 9S if I'm not mistaken? Whatever the case, what a heartbreaking love story, if it even counts.

This is the kind of shit that ruins most games for me, just because they can't compare to the type of emotional beats necessary to pull at the heart strings, so many emotional twists just come off as half baked. Somehow Yoko mostly avoids that somehow and becomes one of my top tier visionaries

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest
I asked this before but I don't think anyone helped me finding out: is there only one HUB/camp in this game or like in the original nier multiple villages?

thanks

Another easter egg in route C -
in the big empty building that's frequently used as a Flight Unit landing zone in the City Ruins, there's a vertical shaft with a ladder leading up to a small room with the exit blocked by a storage container. However, at the start of route C, the container is no longer there and you are free to see what lies beyond.

I had actually been going up there to check if I could get through many times throughout routes A and B, so it really made my jaw drop when I finally found out what was there.

TissueBox

This is the kind of shit that ruins most games for me, just because they can't compare to the type of emotional beats necessary to pull at the heart strings, so many emotional twists just come off as half baked. Somehow Yoko mostly avoids that somehow and becomes one of my top tier visionaries

Indeed, like with most art everybody is using the same ingredients here, and you may have dined on it before but when Taro is cooking you know it's gonna be tasty either way.

What makes it work for me
is just how it's dropped as one extra step on the way down in 9S's descent and then left behind. At this point 9S has become your everyday Taro anti-hero and is just driven forward by bloodlust. Then 210 comes in out of nowhere as depressing emotional foil to remind us how far from the original scale he's and the story has become. Just the context and 9S's anguish at this point, who's pretty far gone, makes it a highlight of that particular theme for me. Yea we saw it coming -- but hell, it comes in the right time, right place, without being too in-your-face. That cold touch makes the emotional payoff painfully worth it.

killatopak

Gold Member
So my friend is in Japan right now.

If I tell him to buy a physical copy of NieR does it have an english voice and sub as well?

As a follow-up, how do I buy dlcs if I use a Japanese game on my NA account?

raven777

If I tell him to buy a physical copy of NieR does it have an english voice and sub as well?

Yes the Japanese copy has English voice and sub as well.

As for DLC, you have to buy them from JP PSN store, but I think you can use it on other account as well if you set your JP account as primary account (Unless the DLC is account-tied).

silva1991

DLCs are region locked if I'm not mistaken. You will have to buy them from Japanese store.

Oh beaten by Raven.

killatopak

Gold Member
Yes the Japanese copy has English voice and sub as well.

As for DLC, you have to buy them from JP PSN store, but I think you can use it on other account as well if you set your JP account as primary account (Unless the DLC is account-tied).

DLCs are region locked if I'm not mistaken. You will have to buy them from Japanese store.

Oh beaten by Raven.

Thanks.

I was gonna tell him to buy it for me until I saw the price. $100 for a regular edition. I think I'll wait it out lol. DLCs should be cheaper on NA as well.

In Desert zone, after you've cleared the boss in that little pit, there are tons of level 38ish enemies that spawn in waves -- I went in there around level 26, came out about 30-40 minutes later at level 33.

Do they ever stop spawning? Is there something down there?

Caim

In Desert zone, after you've cleared the boss in that little pit, there are tons of level 38ish enemies that spawn in waves -- I went in there around level 26, came out about 30-40 minutes later at level 33.

Do they ever stop spawning? Is there something down there?

I don't know they never stopped for me and I was there for awhile.

Spent about that much time in there as well.

Guru-Guru

Banned
Has anybody in this thread posted a summary of the whole plot of the game? If so, can you link me to the post? I didn't end up enjoying the game that much, but I'm still interested in seeing where the story went from route B onwards.

raven777

Digital Foundry Analysis is up!

Ok, I'm out now. Wanna avoid spoilers lol

C5qoELWUoAAq8jg.jpg:large
lol

In general Pro is much better of course but there seems to be few instances where Pro drops more for some reason..

Caim

Stuff regarding a certain sidequest if you wait til route B:

I'm guessing hacking ignores defense because it takes 2-3 hacks to kill each form of Father Servo.

AALLx

This game is a bit unforgiving on Hard. I died twice on the opening and then died again after landing. Turned it off at the moment and currently considering playing on Normal. The dodge is very forgiving but bullets hit like a truck; 2 to 3 hits and you're booted back to the beginning.

dan2026

The digital foundry article highlighted some worrying framerate problems in the early areas even on the Pro.
Kinda wondering whether to cancel my preorder.

Feel like the later areas could be even worse.

Philippo

For those who already finished it, is there a story explanation for the way 2B is dressed? Or to better say, are we going to be ashamed of our words and deeds?

addik

For those who already finished it, is there a story explanation for the way 2B is dressed? Or to better say, are we going to be ashamed of our words and deeds?
Ending A here and none so far. Interesting to note that all Yorha units are seemingly female, except for 9S/scouts.

Don't worry 2B isnt sexualized here, despite what some people think of the outfit

killatopak

Gold Member

dayyyymmmm.

I'm ashamed.
lol

In general Pro is much better of course but there seems to be few instances where Pro drops more for some reason..

I'll chalk it up to poor optimization of the pro hardware. DF said they made a new engine for the game. The instances where it drops on the pro in the video is the open world part and the change in camera angle while using the flight machine.

I'm praying they make another day 1 patch for the NA release.

For those on route C,

I would recommend looking for 2B's flight unit in the flooded city when you're playing as 9S.
Pulled my god damn heart right out.

i'm looking but i don't find it! where is it exactly? Hope someone will answer soon, i don't want to advance the story and miss it!

Also i missed the quest where i need to found
Stuff of the old world for pascal
Will i be able to complete it later? redo the previous routes?

Exentryk

Has anyone used the auto fire chip for pods? Can anyone explain how it works? Like does it only start firing when enemies appear? Or is it if you press the button once it starts and stops after everything is dead? Also, this isn't just for easy mode, is it?

Caim

Has anyone used the auto fire chip for pods? Can anyone explain how it works? Like does it only start firing when enemies appear? Or is it if you press the button once it starts and stops after everything is dead? Also, this isn't just for easy mode, is it?

Easy mode only.

Top Bottom