• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NieR: Automata |OT| "I wouldn't expect too much from this game if I were you."

So I got the shipping notification for from UPS and Square Enix saying that my Black Box Edition should be arriving on March 8th which is a lot earlier than I thought it would arrive! Can't wait!!!

EDIT: Yikes my post is not new page worthy!

You're feeling it now? D:
Do you mean the ending? Or the game in general?

The ending: kinda left me empty for abit , mainly cause it's a lot to process so fast .

The game: I was always feeling it, the gameplay just turns into a real slog , I know my posts aren't always a bundle of hype , but I really do love this game even if I have major issues with it.
i can't say I prefer it to nier because I love the humour of 1, but I feel pretty emotionally attached to the charachters in auto.

Don't forget that (minor mechanic spoilers for late-game)
you can buy trophies eventually

By the way, has any game done that before? I thought it was brilliant.

Do you mean the ending? Or the game in general?

The ending: kinda left me empty for abit , mainly cause it's a lot to process so fast .

The game: I was always feeling it, the gameplay just turns into a real slog , I know my posts aren't always a bundle of hype , but I really do love this game even if I have major issues with it.
i can't say I prefer it to nier because I love the humour of 1, but I feel pretty emotionally attached to the charachters in auto.
I really missed the banter from Nier, but the sidequests in Automata are hilarious.

The
machines' rendition of Romeo and Juliet was amazing.

pezzie

So in Route B,
should I just be hacking every enemy all the time? Is that really the only efficient way to get through encounters?
If so, I can already see why people in this thread are saying this route is a slog.

It's a lot faster using the spear throw attack than hacking. I only hacked enemies with a lot of HP.

Quick question having just finished Branch C.

Do I have to choose the other character in the final fight to trigger ending D? Or is it something else?

Just a note to others:

Don't look up "Nier Automata Review" on google (at least not mobile), it shows the final boss fight of Ending A with a thumbnail.

Thank God I've already finished that route.

Crayon

Just browsing fan art while I wait. :3

nier_automata_by_roos_vicee-da30l6s.png

The most bullshit thing just happened to me.

I was doing the third Speedstar sidequest
(on my 2nd playthrough).

When you choose to redo the race because you failed it loads you back to the starting point.

But when I did that and it was counting down to start the race a random flying suicide machine spawned behind me and instakilled me.

There was nothing I could do to react since I was locked into the countdown.

Exentryk

Yea this is the NieR OT, so lets talk about that, a game i have played for 40 hours...and your thoughts on the demo? Kind of pointless to discuss since you dont have input based on the actual game, just an action sequence which is maybe representative of 5 sequences in the game.

Its a game about crowd control its pretty balanced between melee and ranged for route A, but after that it heavily tilts towards the shooter side, which is why people are saying the gameplay is boring when you play as 9S.
This is ofcourse when your not in a top down/side scrolling mech shooter sequence.

Shooting is a non-issue in NieR since you can auto-target. No aiming involved.

Just a note to others:

Don't look up "Nier Automata Review" on google (at least not mobile), it shows the final boss fight of Ending A with a thumbnail.

Thank God I've already finished that route.

I'm not looking up anything on NieR. Even avoid reddit and gamefaqs in fear of spoilers. Youtube history is wiped and no NieR OST searching there either.
These are tough times.

Strings

By the way, has any game done that before? I thought it was brilliant.

I really missed the banter from Nier, but the sidequests in Automata are hilarious.

The
machines' rendition of Romeo and Juliet was amazing.

Yeah, while just about every single one is an annoying fetch quest, they're very well written vignettes / the strongest writing in the game imo.

In particular,
the revelation at the end of Wandering Couple ("Oh, I've done this six times before"), Machine Examination 1 and 2 (where the Goliath keeps a diary), the machine that lures and murders the android in the desert for revenge, etc

EDIT: Oh, actually forgot my favourite:
telling the android in the bunker about her dead superiors attempt to escape, only for her to admit how much she hated her for being a hypocrite

The most bullshit thing just happened to me.

I was doing the third Speedstar...

This happens every single time you retry. It's laughably bad / rage-inducing.

pezzie

I just finished Route C. Oh man, my heart. I need to put this game down, I can't do another ending tonight. That entire last sequence was so freaking incredible, I don't know what to do.

I need some side quest help.

late Branch A/B spoilers but nothing really big.

When can I talk to Emil by the desert zone to initiate his first quest? I'm doing chapter select and I can't seem to figure out when it activates??

Strings

I need some side quest help.

late Branch A/B spoilers but nothing really big.

When can I talk to Emil by the desert zone to initiate his first quest? I'm doing chapter select and I can't seem to figure out when it activates??

After
forest kingdom is complete, but before flooded ruins boss battle. You examine the lunar tear (flower) in the shopping mall to initiate it.

TB14

Held off getting it for PS4 from BB during the Visa checkout promos because of the PC version. Hoping the leaked release date is true.

Crayon

Held off getting it for PS4 from BB during the Visa checkout promos because of the PC version. Hoping the leaked release date is true.

That bs with the date is terrible. :( I hope it come to pc as soon as possible. I don't like seeing everyone getting screwed around on it.

Exentryk

Yeah a few sites (newegg, playasia,etc.) now have the Steam codes available for purchase and are listing the release date as the same as PS4 western release.

KMRiku

Neo Member
Holy mother of god! I just started route C and things already went super crazy, incredible.

Btw, is there any point to the sound waves chip? I don't really understand what I am supposed to do with it.

Since the game has come out in japan is there a spoiler free OST playlist, I heard not to look it up due to possible spoilers?

I have already seen a boss in the recommended list on YouTube(rewatching the latest trailer) and I don't want to risk anymore BS channels who put spoilers in the thumbnails when searching for the OST

jonjonaug

EDIT: Oh, actually forgot my favourite:
telling the android in the bunker about her dead superiors attempt to escape, only for her to admit how much she hated her for being a hypocrite

That one's cool because
she reacts very differently if you don't tell her that

Holy mother of god! I just started route C and things already went super crazy, incredible.

Btw, is there any point to the sound waves chip? I don't really understand what I am supposed to do with it.

I'm pretty sure all it does is add a spectrogram on the top right of the screen.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Since the game has come out in japan is there a spoiler free OST playlist, I heard not to look it up due to possible spoilers?

I have already seen a boss in the recommended list on YouTube(rewatching the latest trailer) and I don't want to risk anymore BS channels who put spoilers in the thumbnails when searching for the OST

There is actually, but the recommended tab will fuck you over on the right if your not paying attention

Just be careful

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9VIjNTxI8-g&t=117s

Inuhanyou

Thank you very much! I will probably shrink the window or something

Yeah just cut out the right part and you should be fine.

What i like best about the soundtrack is how dynamic it is..it can go from plain instrumental to vocals, combine instrumentals with other vocals from other songs, play two songs vocals on top of each other at the same time and even synchronize with gameplay! And it all fits somehow! It feels like your listening to a legitimate concert in many parts just because of how the songs change so dynamically

Infact its actually just as dynamic as the actual gameplay perspective shifts too, absolutely amazing, can't praise the sound and gameplay design teams enough for making that work so well together

TB14

Yeah a few sites (newegg, playasia,etc.) now have the Steam codes available for purchase and are listing the release date as the same as PS4 western release.

Different dates floating around everywhere. 3/10 or 3/7 would be great. Any later and I'll probably just wait for a deep sale. Have Horizon, Zelda (soon), and several other games to play through right now anyway.

Yeah just cut out the right part and you should be fine.

What i like best about the soundtrack is how dynamic it is..it can go from plain instrumental to vocals, combine instrumentals with other vocals from other songs, play two songs vocals on top of each other at the same time and even synchronize with gameplay! And it all fits somehow! It feels like your listening to a legitimate concert in many parts just because of how the songs change so dynamically

Infact its actually just as dynamic as the actual gameplay perspective shifts too, absolutely amazing, can't praise the sound and gameplay design teams enough for making that work so well together

Like with the demo this is a game that screams to be played with headphones on still cant wait to get my hands on it.

Inuhanyou

Like with the demo this is a game that screams to be played with headphones on still cant wait to get my hands on it.

Just so you know, that particular soundtrack also repeats songs a few times in a row for people who don't want to repeat, the first post there should have timestamps for all songs if you dont want to skip around

pezzie

Where on earth do you get more memory alloy? I feel like most of my weapons are gated behind this thing that hardly ever drops, I only found enough to upgrade one weapon that requires it so far.

Strings

Where on earth do you get more memory alloy? I feel like most of my weapons are gated behind this thing that hardly ever drops, I only found enough to upgrade one weapon that requires it so far.

Drops like crazy late-game. Not sure what else to say. The only thing I never found, outside of a single one all the way to level ~70ish, with +90% of unit types encountered, was filler metal.

convo

This game would have been worth it to me for just that one shop theme. The slightly darker timeline where this game was just an audio drama, if that theme had played in it i would have been content.

Aeana

Just finished with route
C/D and got ending E
. I have a few sidequests I didn't do, and I said no to
the question asked at the very end about helping someone
. Is it worthwhile to do all of the quests and then go back and
answer yes to that?

Jiraiza

Just finished with route
C/D and got ending E
. I have a few sidequests I didn't do, and I said no to
the question asked at the very end about helping someone
. Is it worthwhile to do all of the quests and then go back and
answer yes to that?

Just backup your save file and call it a day.

mollipen

Since I know people are still avoiding the spoiler thread, a question about what seems to be quest-related mention in one of the final endings:
There's mention that the lady at the resistance camp has something else she wants (or something along those lines) and that maybe I should check it out. How do I do that exactly? I tried to chapter select to one of the last possible chances I could figure to get to the base, but nothing.

jonjonaug

What's the best place to farm upgrade materials?

Depends on the material. You can get a good amount of upgrade materials just from doing side quests, so clear as many of those as you can. A lot of the uncommon ones can be bought from
Emil's shop
(including Titanium Alloy!). I think large and red enemies in route C tend to drop the rare upgrade materials more often.

As for upgrade materials that can only be picked up, those are found all over. You'll need to do quite a bit of running around each area for that, but it's significantly less than the original Nier I think.

Since I know people are still avoiding the spoiler thread, a question about what seems to be quest-related mention in one of the final endings:
There's mention that the lady at the resistance camp has something else she wants (or something along those lines) and that maybe I should check it out. How do I do that exactly? I tried to chapter select to one of the last possible chances I could figure to get to the base, but nothing.

The woman with the machine head sells the game's trophies for in-game currency.

DKL

OK, just got done with Route A normal playthrough. Some gameplay notes:

-While I feel that mob AI seems to be the same (I still get hit by stupid spear lunge), despite earlier thoughts, I can actually confirm that the bosses are indeed slower on normal: the move where the
mech ball
boss throws out the spike rod is actually reactable on this difficulty lol

-
Adam
is significantly slower. The easiest move to see this with is like that kick thing he throws out, which I was used to being ridiculously fast.

-Also, the final fight is actually PROFOUNDLY different from Hard and Very Hard: on normal, it seems like the boss
throws out things you can actually SEE... in fact, this fight was surprising in general in that I could actually see anything: shit is a mess on Hard and Very Hard and I'm not sure what I was looking at half the time. The expectation on hard and very hard is that you react to the animation as opposed to some projectile that shows up on screen.
I actually feel like the gimmick on hard and very hard is kinda bad and leads to a lot of confusion.

-As for whether or not things are different between Hard and Very Hard, I need to investigate further... it could very well be that the only difference between Hard and Very Hard is the one-shot thing, which makes it painful to deal with mobs.

Route B playthrough will probably be on hard...

Though I should consider actually finishing the entire game first before dicking around like this :v

Top Bottom