• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NieR: Automata |OT| "I wouldn't expect too much from this game if I were you."

Strings

A question to people who finished ending E.
Did you offer to help other players during the credit section? I did and sacrificed my save in the process. It felt kind of bad, but I was done with the game anyway and wasn't planning to go back to it.

Yeah, I did. I have a feeling there'll be DLC too (
to unlock the 3 doors with grovelling machines who self-destruct
), but I don't think it'll be anything super special.

Slaythe

Don't care for ranged combat. It's essentially a shooter in disguise.

Not really. It's a mixture of traps, tools, range and melee. Where you also can get a stealth tree to do aerial takedowns etc... melee wise.

It's pretty cool.

But I'm also laughing at you if you expect not to use range a lot in Nier.

JayEH

Has anybody found the dragon quest spear and if so where?

A question to people who finished ending E.
Did you offer to help other players during the credit section? I did and sacrificed my save in the process. It felt kind of bad, but I was done with the game anyway and wasn't planning to go back to it.

I put my save on a USB :p

N° 2048

Not really. It's a mixture of traps, tools, range and melee. Where you also can get a stealth tree to do aerial takedowns etc... melee wise.

It's pretty cool.

I might as well tape down my R1 button rofl

I basically hold it down constantly during fights.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Man, this thing that Taro opted for a more thought-provoking plot and have a bit less emotional packing scenes kind of bums me down, deep down i only wanted more scenes like these.
But by the way some of you guys describe it, it seems the game is a bit light of those.

Well, it's still going to be one (if not the) best story of the generation lol

Its just an opinion, you don't have to look at only the negative opinions and get discouraged. The game will impact everyone differently after all :p

There's plenty of gut punchy moments. But its not the same as Nier as a retread, there are different types of dramatic moments.

jonjonaug

You really don't want to skip Horizon.

g2ERUTC.gif

Untitledh.gif

Untitled-1c9a0e.gif

Nor Nier.

Buy both. We all sacrificed our wallets this month.

Gonna be too busy with Zelda and Torment, I'll wait for a price drop or two on Horizon.

Exentryk

It's pretty cool.

I've seen the gameplay and the game is a shooter in disguise. It's mostly arrow shooting without any auto-target option. Don't care for stealth either, in fact, it ruins the game for me even more. Combat isn't designed around melee, even if you can use it in some instances.

NieR's ranged pod shooting has auto-target (lock-on) option. But even without that, the combat is melee focused.

Joke post?

Not at all. You have (large) enemies in Horizon that have weak points that need to be targeted by arrows. It's essentially a shooter, with some melee options. I don't care for it.

LProtag

Horizon is fun so far, but it just lacks the charm/quirkyness that made me adore Nier.

Like, I'm playing Horizon, but I'm still thinking about this game a lot.

I've seen the gameplay and the game is a shooter in disguise. It's mostly arrow shooting without any auto-target option. Don't care for stealth either, in fact, it ruins the game for me even more. Combat isn't designed around melee, even if you can use it in some instances.

NieR's ranged pod shooting has auto-target (lock-on) option. But even without that, the combat is melee focused.
You should probably play both of these games before saying this stuff.....
I've seen people try to shoot bosses to death in devil may cry, that doesn't make it "a shooter in disguise".
And well I don't even know where to begin with nier is Melee focused, if being a shooter is a bad thing, maybe stay away from nier.

Gbraga

So, I started Drakengard 3 today, and it's actually quite charming? At least so far, it's better than I expected.

The performance, however, is even worse than I feared.

Does it ever get better or am I in for this shitride until the end?

It's such a shame, there's a lot of care in some aspects, too. Like, I would never expect
the ruins rising from the sea after the boss battle
in a game that runs like this.

Holy shit Branch C.

When Devola and Popola come to back up 9S and then fucking Song of the Ancients starts singing.

This might be one of my favorite moments in the whole game so far.

Especially because it's set up like another betrayal.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Holy shit Branch C.

When Devola and Popola come to back up 9S and then fucking Song of the Ancients starts singing.

This might be one of my favorite moments in the whole game so far.

Especially because it's set up like another betrayal.

Yep, i loved that complete reversal of expectations just for folks who would know.

So, I started Drakengard 3 today, and it's actually quite charming? At least so far, it's better than I expected.

It's such a shame, there's a lot of care in some aspects, too. Like, I would never expect

Access games. Also the budget is zero. Why did you think people were so excited for Platinum to be working with Yoko Taro? Nier was his highest budget work

jonjonaug

There are actually parts that run worse than where you're at right now. One or two levels can literally go sub-1 fps. I still enjoyed playing it though.

EDIT: Seriously though if you ever get to a point where you think the game crashed just wait 30 seconds or so to make sure.

Gbraga

Jesus Christ.

EDIT: I did get to a point in a side mission where the game ran at seconds per frame, but it was very quick. I guess it'll get longer.

Bring it, Yoko Taro, you can't break me.

Exentryk

I've seen people try to shoot bosses to death in devil may cry, that doesn't make it "a shooter in disguise".

Stop being obtuse. Horizon is designed around bow and arrow combat, while NieR is designed around sword combat. If you can't see this, then I don't know what to tell you.

Still, this is NieR's OT and not Horizon discussion thread, so let's not get off topic.

Branch C spoilers.

Man, these data files for Devola and Popola, and seeing how the events of NieR got the ball rolling and why these two are treated like traitors. Geez.

Slaythe

What's with all the Horizon talk? Did i miss something?

I suggested to get both Nier and Horizon because both games are amazing and deserve it.

Then had to correct the misinformation. :) Sorry for slight derail.

I have a question, spoiler for route C :

Does it matter if your pods support A2 or 9S ? Do you get different endings depending on who you pick ?

Don't forget that (minor mechanic spoilers for late-game)
you can buy trophies eventually

To unlock you already need to beat it though. Atm its like 15% have beaten it, which is much higher than you would expect for a normal game, especially one of this length.

Stop being obtuse. Horizon is designed around bow and arrow combat, while NieR is designed around sword combat. If you can't see this, then I don't know what to tell you.

Still, this is NieR's OT and not Horizon discussion thread, so let's not get off topic.

Yea this is the NieR OT, so lets talk about that, a game i have played for 40 hours...and your thoughts on the demo? Kind of pointless to discuss since you dont have input based on the actual game, just an action sequence which is maybe representative of 5 sequences in the game.

Its a game about crowd control its pretty balanced between melee and ranged for route A, but after that it heavily tilts towards the shooter side, which is why people are saying the gameplay is boring when you play as 9S.
This is ofcourse when your not in a top down/side scrolling mech shooter sequence.

Does it matter if your pods support A2 or 9S ? Do you get different endings depending on who you pick ?

Doesnt matter, you do both anyway.

Just realized i can finally listen to the OST on youtube *_*

Gin-Shiio

I never thought Nier to have a great story, in fact I thought it to be poorly written and entirely unfocused. Popola's and Devola's motivation never made much sense, and Emil was part of the party for an hour or two before the emotional scenes demanded I feel bad for him as part of the "family". Hearing the shades speak in NG+ was still a great surprise and got me emotional quite a few times.

Automata somehow puts less focus on the characters, and more on the situation present in the game itself. I think that is for the better, since Taro is really good creating this sense of dread that envelops his work. It doesn't take until NG+ for me to start wondering about
the robots we slaughter either, as they express plenty of personality as is.
I personally prefer Automata to the prequel in that regard.

BiggNife

So in Route B,
should I just be hacking every enemy all the time? Is that really the only efficient way to get through encounters?
If so, I can already see why people in this thread are saying this route is a slog.

Top Bottom