• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NieR: Automata Review Thread

Drackhorn

What people tend to forget is that it is an average. Many reviewers gave a game scoring an 8/10 on mc a 9/10 or even 10/10. In the case of Zelda nearly everyone is on the same page that it is at least a 9/10 and most think it warrants a 10. That is a showcase of the majestic quality and appeal of the latest Zelda for sure, but it doesn't mean it is best game for every individual.

Case in point, Yakuza 0 is one of my favourite experiences this gen, equal to the likes of TW3, Bloodborne, and UC4, and it's MC is in the 8/10, yet there have been reviewers that agree with me, handing it >9/10 scores. That doesn't bother me in the slightest as I can totally see why certain elements are detrimental to other people's experiences.

And in the end, the quality of a title will speak for itself, see Dark Souls, which I think we can legitimately call a modern classic despite it's metascore.
Absolutely this.

N° 2048

tumblr_o15ktbqo2g1spb0xzo3_400.gif

Scoops

Banned
Based Platinum is back! Their first great game in 3 years (Bayo 2).

Congrats Nier, excited to see what their Switch game is!

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
I can kind of understand some of the lower scores. Some people are not going to actually get all the intricacies present to fully appreciate the narrative and what it does.

Megan says the story is nonsensical, but its pretty complex as well so its no wonder it flew over the head.

In Nier and Drakengard, to consider that the entire franchise is an allegory for death karmatic justice probably would fly over anyone's head just coming in and wanting to finish off a review or play for the combat and not necessarily absorbing things.

aravuus

I pop back in, and what do I see? Fucking 89 average for Nier!

NIER! EIGHTY-NINE?!

Really happy for Yoko Taro! Also really annoyed at SE for fucking around with the PC port so much, but I guess I've got BOTW to keep me occupied for the next week or two.

Gbraga

This year is insane. I see some folks expressing concern about the second half living up to this one, but I honestly couldn't care less. Even if absolutely nothing comes out during the second half, I'm sure I'll still have 2017 games I want to play but still haven't when we're well into 2019.

A lot more good games than money or time.

DrArchon

Fucking fantastic reviews for Nier. That's, what, a full 20 points above the first Nier? And like 25 more than Drakengard 3? Shit, that's a huge improvement. I was already down to get this ASAP on Steam if the impressions held up, but still, great job to everyone behind this.

True Fire

Put simply, NieR: Automata is the greatest game ever made. It’s not just that it is the deepest and most narratively potent game ever developed - and it is a truly deep narrative experience - but more than that, Yoko Taro has finally found perhaps the developer on the planet capable of doing his visionary work justice. This game is a true, genuine work of art, and anyone who wants to prove that gaming does possess an equivalent to the greatest novels, operas, theatre plays, or paintings, now has that very game to point to. Yoko Taro is gaming’s Shakespeare, Da Vinci, and Welles, all rolled into one.

😂😂😂😂

I loved this game to death, but this review has left me speechless.

Azzanadra

I think we can all agree that this year will probably go down in history as one of the best ones yet.(for gaming)

Are you telling me America will not be made great again?!

Anyways I went 0 to 100 on this game real quick, initially dissmissive of the game and recollection of platinum as a meh developer, I was going to skip it- but after reading up on Nier and it's story, im intrigued. Maybe a bit animeish (I hate anime) but it just seems batshit insane on another level.

Plus I really like metal Gear rising as well as Bayonetta, so it would be nice to revisit that addicting beat-em up gameplay.

No? Apart from Devil May Cry, W101 and Bayonetta I can't think of many games with deeper action mechanics.Just watch Saur's vids, you can do some crazy stuff in that game.

This year is insane. I see some folks expressing concern about the second half living up to this one, but I honestly couldn't care less. Even if absolutely nothing comes out during the second half, I'm sure I'll still have 2017 games I want to play but still haven't when we're well into 2019.

A lot more good games than money or time.

Yeah. It'll be almost impossible to top the first half, but I wouldn't bet against Mario being a masterpiece.

Why is the Game Informer review not in the OP despite later reviews having been added?

I was working my way down the list, posting the edits as I went - should include most notable reviews now.

Still hoping on one or two high scores to nudge it into the 90s. We need that Universal Acclaim!

I was working my way down the list, posting the edits as I went - should include most notable reviews now.

Still hoping on one or two high scores to nudge it into the 90s.

MC and OC still haven't added Insidegamer.nl's perfect score so there's still hope.

EDIT: OC up to 89. Not sure what's been added.

What lunacy these past few months have been
After such a lull
A decent FF
A real last guardian
A good tales
A good resident evil
Yakuza finding success
A new great onimusha
Horizon lives up to the hype
A fucking yoko taro game scores an avg 9/10
Zelda with a perfect score
And days away from a new mass effect and a persona.

What did we do to deserve this?

SilentRob

I'd say Nier since it can be finished quickly. If you play Zelda first it will be a long time before you move on to Nier.

Took me 45 hours to play through the game while doing most side quests. You could get that down to 35, but I don't know if you'd want to ;D Will probably take about 50 hours to do just about everything.

Top Bottom