• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NieR: Automata Review Thread

mankoto

It's been a while since a SE published game scored this well. Feels good.

yZmj90Y.jpg

Not having much excess money in Q1 has been a nightmare. So many good games that I'd love to grab. Put my faith in Nier Automata as my game for the season. These reviews making me very happy.

Nya

Well it is selling really well in Japan and is currently the top seller on Steam in a bunch of countries. It is off to a good start.

None of them is my country, because SE decided to region lock us.. GMG told me today that they can't provide a code for me </3

gngf123

None of them is my country, because SE decided to region lock us.. GMG told me today that they can't provide a code for me </3

In Asia somewhere?

Square said they would be announcing something to do with that soon, but yeah the situation sucks. Probably the only reason why it isn't the global top seller as well.

that was a lot cheaper than the $250 i've spent on Nier Automata

Was so sad at the cost of the CE in the UK - it looked fantastic but just couldn't justify the spend. Went for the t-shirt pre-order edition but would have loved a mid-range CE at around the £100 mark. Had a rush of blood and belatedly took a look on eBay and it's like £300 now.

Edit: Though i'll definitely be grabbing the art book and OST, either via import or via SE directly.

Was so sad at the cost of the CE in the UK - it looked fantastic but just couldn't justify the spend. Went for the t-shirt pre-order edition but would have loved a mid-range CE at around the £100 mark. Had a rush of blood and belatedly took a look on eBay and it's like £300 now.
what was the UK price? I paid $190 us, but then with the PC version 10 days later I said fuck it and bought that too. Would much rather play on PC, so I will painfully wait 10 more days

what was the UK price? I paid $190 us, but then with the PC version 10 days later I said fuck it and bought that too. Would much rather play on PC, so I will painfully wait 10 more days

£169.99 so around $210 plus delivery. Gonna be a painful wait but sure it'll be worth it. I've got an annoying wait until Friday - was convinced I'd read the EU release was the 7th, booked the day off work and everything haha...

kvothe

ps4 has no 90+ game

Uncharted 4 and Bloodborne are a couple games that beg to differ...

On topic: I expected Nier to drop below 90 based off the demo. Looked fun but too niche for a 90+ score. Still, I'm surprised it's this high!! 89 is still a great score, especially for a sequel to a cult classic. Let's see where it winds up.

Yoko Taro getting the recognition he deserves and Platinum getting a much needed homerun after the Scalebound cancellation. Hope it sells well with Horizon and Zelda out. My GOTY so far. Even though Yoko Taro + Platinum seemed like a dream team on paper, it still exceeded my expectations, having played the JPN PSN version. What a game.

Osahi

Shit, another game to get and to inevitably land on the backlog for the time being... Will probably grab it once I reach the end of Zelda though, chances are big I'll actually play it then.

I'm with you there. Finish late on Friday as well so the struggle is real. Got the whole weekend for the game at least.

probably won't have time to play it until sunday D:

i have a rehearsal on saturday and then i go to a party in the evening, and i will probably have to spend friday evening cooking something nice to bring to the party

normally i would just skip this party, but one of the hosts is this cute girl who i think i have a chance with

Uncharted 4 and Bloodborne are a couple games that beg to differ...

i know i was just memeing

Theswweet

So glad I imported... I don't know when I would've gotten to it if I hadn't. Zelda is feeling absolutely massive.

Both of them are great games, though.

probably won't have time to play it until sunday D:

i have a rehearsal on saturday and then i go to a party in the evening, and i will probably have to spend friday evening cooking something nice to bring to the party

normally i would just skip this party, but one of the hosts is this cute girl who i think i have a chance with

i know i was just memeing

Right decision you're making. Seen enough people priorities a game over social life and it's never the right choice. Hoping I don't have visitors because I can't not let them in.

Mathieran

Banned
Really happy this is reviewing well. Liked the demo and I always want Platinum to succeed. I'm sorry I can't buy it for a while. I'm still early in Horizon and have Zelda next with a backlog on top of that. I'll probably get this in the fall.

Amazon shipped mine out yesterday, can't wait for tomorrow when it comes! I'm so excited! The first Nier is probably a top 5 game for me, I'm hoping for N:A to knock it down a space.

DAAAAAAMN BOY!

Expected an 84 honestly. There's still a chance it could waver, but I'm extremely happy to see this score 89. Hopefully it'll prop the game up and get it some good sales. Ideally more reviews will bump it to 90 just for the vanity points, but 89 is basically close to perfection as far as I'm concerned. Considering there are so few 90+ games this gen, this really elevates the game.

I'm just catching up watching the Clemps summaries of the Drakengard games, in the middle of 3 now. To be honest, D1 was interesting and D2 had some cool lore in the end, but from what I already know from playing the first few hours of Nier, it seems like the Nier timeline is definitely the most interesting. I'm really looking forward to trying to rush through Nier before Automata, hopefully I can do it pretty quickly (still have to wait until the 25th though because I'm so busy with classes).

It's insane how great 2017 has been for gaming in just 2 and ¼ months. I literally cannot remember so many excellent things releasing in such a short amount of time, and things aren't slowing down until maybe Persona 5, which is another must-buy. It's madness. Funny how Horizon, Zelda and Nier: A all came out so close to each other, because they seem comparable in some ways. Fighting weird robot things, open world, female or otherwise effeminate main character (this is a bit of a stretch, but people were really unsure of Link's gender for a while).

Hopefully people don't ignore Nier now. Hopefully they make the right choice and support the more niche title, since there is no way Horizon and Zelda will be missing out on sales.

Top Bottom