• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NieR: Automata Review Thread

qbePy3d.png

They fucking did it guys.

The promise land.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
For Nier, the high scores were a heartfelt vindication of a super niche japanese franchise.

For 2017, it was Monday.

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?
Any idea how long the game takes to finish (and by that I mean the obligatory replays included)?

Nameless

Having played the demo I can 100% say this does not deserve a score higher than horizon. It's a good game though, this is why i don't like reviews.

Seriously who gives a shit? This obsession with Metacritic scores is going too far when it's not even enough that games review well, but they also need to score higher than anything released in the same vicinity. The least you can do is wait until the number of reviews is closer if it means that much to you.

Damn.

A Yoko Taro game at a 90 MC? Let alone over a 70?

What a time to be alive.

This year has been ridiculous. Literally every game that's come out between January-March has lived up to the hype and has gotten nothing but critical acclaim. Just this week alone we've gotten Horizon, Zelda, and Nier back to back and they're all fucking amazing. There has not been a single bad game this entire year.

How is this possible...

Best year of gaming confirmed?

Well, I mean, I don't know. It seemed like KH 2.8 was a bit of a let down for people. But I agree regardless. If I play all these great games and have a blast like all of the reviews suggest I will, I'm definitely likely to consider it my favorite year in gaming so far.

Someone made a joke in the new Persona 5 trailer thread that the one problem with 2017's games is that they may be too good. Obviously that's not ever an actual problem, but it is true that at least for me, I won't be able to play all of the excellent games for a long time. Even though I'm hyped for nearly everything, I've barely gotten 1/3 into my first game this year, Yakuza 0, and I don't really expect to finish Automata until Summer.

Floody

Damn, I can't afford all these bloody amazing games.

Please don't turn this thread into another "this great game is better than that great game" shitfest.

DJChuy

I predicted a high 80, but I can't believe it's scoring so well. Can't wait for tomorrow. Already asked for some days off from work.

Congratulations, you did it. Now we won't see another Nier/Drakengard game
When Yoko Taro sees the score he is gonna drink himself to death, and destroy his liver on the way.

farisr

What is this sorcery? GCU and some kind of extra $100-$25 promotion from best buy? Granted, I managed to snag this, Horizon and Zelda for $40 from Target's B2G1 free deal, but $24 is crazy cheap.

I listed the US price (which is 24), I'm in Canada, getting it for less than $33 CAD after taxes (normal price would be $90 CAD after taxes here).

Amazon has E3 preorder deals which used to be 30% off in 2015 when this game got announced first. I pre-ordered it and Horizon back then. They had the game up for $71.99 (now regular prices for games are 79.99 + tax).

Then the following December they had another 30% off deal. There were only like 2 new games that had been announced since E3 that I was interested in ordering, and I didn't want multiple orders to sort through, so I asked Amazon CSR to combine the orders. I would later learn that a system glitch cause the 30% off from the E3 deal, and 30% off from the December deal to stack for every single unshipped game in the order.

And I've been effectively getting 60% off (from the lowest list price) on games that were part of that order since then.

2 copies of For Honor (60% of 49.99) were also part of the order that made me a decent profit while also giving the buyers a way to get a new copy on launch day a decent amount cheaper than retail. Same thing I'm doing for GR Wildlands tomorrow.

After that all I have is FF7 Remake and Sea Of Thieves left as part of that order.

For the gameplay? The game is kinda atrocious at everything except for the story and like, the concepts for the gameplay. Loads of great ideas that are implemented horrifically badly.

Nah. I make games for a living and I don't think anything is "horrifically badly" in Nier.

Sure, the graphics are average (although art style is good) and the combat could be quite a bit better (just z-targetting would already make it a lot better) and it's already, imo, better than Assassin's Creed's combat for example.

It's much better than, say, Deadly Premonition, which is still a very entertaining game with great characters and story but really shifty technical/gameplay parts.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Pure Taro*

He's the heart of this game make no mistake, Platinum just competently implemented his ideas.
That's putting down platinum's contribution. The vast majority of studios wouldn't have achieved this pair's up with Taro let alone with the budget given. This is however Platinum's 3rd game with universal acclaim.

The polish platinum gives to games cannot be understated.

This is as much Platinum's win as Taro's.

ubercheez

For the gameplay? The game is kinda atrocious at everything except for the story and like, the concepts for the gameplay. Loads of great ideas that are implemented horrifically badly.

The gameplay was nothing to write home about, but calling it atrocious seems like some serious hyperbole. I found it perfectly serviceable. I'm curious where you felt like it broke down.

SkylineRKR

First Nier had great music and VA, great story... very original settings... it ran circles around FFXIII but was held back by a low budget and little to no promotion. I liked it back in the day, bought it at launch. Graphics were kind of shocking at first, but thats something I can get used to (I also play PS1 games still).

Its gameplay could be more engaging, which is what we have here now.

Anyone have any pics (not screenshots) of the reversible cover?

It took me 36 hours to get the significant endings and do 90% (exact percentage based on # done/# in game) of the sidequests.

How are the sidequests? Worth doing or mostly bad lie the first game?

ironcreed

Banned
I have a great idea. Let Platinum Games at least collaborate on the next Final Fantasy. As it stands, the series is dead to me and I firmly believe that Platinum could legit make a huge difference.

KodaRuss

Kotaku beat the game in 10 hours... Am I missing something? I thought we were expecting this to be 30-40 hours or something.

Top Bottom