• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NieR: Automata Review Thread

Elandyll

Banned
What's the next Japanese gem?
Not sure KH3 or FF7R ep1 could hit before 2018 (unlikely even). So... Beside a possible Switch title (SM Odyssey, Splatoon 2...) Possibly Bloodborne 2 as a surprise fall 2017 reveal at E3?

How good do we expect Ace Combat 7 to be?

Japan is back

NioH---->Legend of Zelda---->Nier---->Persona 5

gatdam

Yakuza 0 is quite handily still my GOTY. There's also Gravity Rush 2, Tale of Berseria was supposed to be real good (not a fan of Tales though) and RE7 was supposed to be really good too. So yeah, there's a lot.

Ahasverus

Why aren't gaming review threads more like the movie ones in which a mod updates the title refelcting the metascore? that would be a great way to raise awareness, and it makes them more fun.

Why aren't gaming review threads more like the movie ones in which a mod updates the title refelcting the metascore? that would be a great way to raise awareness, and it makes them more fun.

I wouldn't be opposed to a moderator updating the title with something like "89 Metacritic / Open Critic"

... but then again it may get annoying to keep updating as new reviews come up.

I'm still hoping we get those last 90s & 95s to bump it up to a 90 MC/OC before that anyway.

icespide

Banned
Actually numbered scores are more controversial and stirs up drama more so for games than movies I think

Ahasverus

I wouldn't be opposed to a moderator updating the title with something like "89 Metacritic / Open Critic"

... but then again it may get annoying to keep updating as new reviews come up.
As I said, we do it like that on off topic side for movies! The score is updated a few times a day when a mod feels like it or a steep change happens.
Actually numbered scores are more controversial and stirs up drama more so for games than movies I think
Sometimes yeah but it would really help some "underdog" games like this one.

Also, you and I both know we enjoy a good score meltdown once in a while.

Innolis

Damn, wanted at least 9 on MT. Still I'm so glad Yoko Taro and Platinum found themselves, this game is pure unadulterated fun. Easily game of the year thus far for me.

I hope they keep working together in the future.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives

This would be kinda cool actually.

Megatron

I was planning to finish Zelda, then play horizon, then buy and play this. Since horizon seems more similar to Zelda maybe I shoukd play this first? Im worried that the next game I play cannot possibly live up to Zelda, though

Hektor

Just saw the review from playstation universe

Exceptional in every way, NeiR: Automata delivers on every cylinder, providing one of the best experiences this year. In every generation there is a game that leaves an impression on you and for me NieR: Automata is that game. To put it simply, NeiR: Automata is a magical experience.

Did no one proofread this

mods know gaming-side too well

bigger focus on metascore would make the typical review thread even more embarrassing (this one has been fine tho, maybe because of reasonable expectations)

TissueBox

WOW holy sh*t!!

I was expecting an aggregate more around 80 or high 70s but it's great that a lot of folks like it. Go get 'em Taro..!

wow, I was not expecting the scores to be across the board quite so high. Well deserved though. For people who didn't do the digital import, don't hesitate, it's a beautiful game.

Codeblue

Best part about the review scores is going to be reading impressions from people unwittingly walking into a Taro game based on the metascore.

Twinfinite said:
As was the case with its predecessor, NieR: Automata is a game that will be talked about for years to come. Hopefully in less hushed tones this time around.
lol

and Kotaku "Type Of Game" block
uhjfqy2up5k1lmba89dz.png

True Fire

That video made me look up my reaction to the reveal
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=168375198&postcount=35

Still unreal tbh

That trailer is still one of my all-time favorites. It starts off with Platinum and Yoshida, and there's just enough uncertainty about whether or not it's a new IP until Yoko Taro's name appears. And then the song turns into Song of the Ancients, and NieR fans know what it is before the name even appears. And then it ends with CG of the main character after a trailer of concept art. Absolutely brilliant.

Absolutely wonderful reviews thus far, I wasn't expecting them to be so high. Congrats to Taro, Taura, and everyone at Square and Platinum! I'm still in a perpetual state of shock that my beloved weird little darling of a game got a) a sequel/spiritual successor b) it is made by our lord and savior Platinum c) it has sold well in Japan c) getting fantastic reviews. Don't let your dreams be dreams? What an amazing run of games for three months of 2017, too, so much quality.

Can we have a weekly YouTube show from Taro? i think I'm in Taro withdrawal.

SkylineRKR

Not only is Japan back, you'll also see more awareness and exposure for these games. And higher ratings. Last gen was dominated by dudebro, that seems to have been saturated. People are doubting between Nier or Mass Effect on this forum.

It goes both ways, the quality of last gen was questionable (most of that early gen Japanese stuff released on 360 was dumpster fire, weird 360 exclusivity deals etc). Inafune persuaded Capcom to copy western games mostly, or what about that wannabe crud like Quantum Theory.... ugh. Now they are bringing their own style to the table again, and people eat it. Doesn't need online multiplayer or fancy co-op man.

Right about where I expected so far.

I need that EZA review though!

EZA's are pretty much the only reviews i watch nowadays.

What a surreal thing it is to see a Yoko Taro directed game getting all this positive mainstream success.

NieR: Automata is a very special game, and it's all well deserved, but I didn't think it'd actually happen.

MCD250

Still kneedeep in Horizon but I guess I'll be getting this as well. I had a great feeling about it after the demo and it's nice to see the positive reception. I also have Zelda in the waiting and I haven't had a chance to touch it. Between that, this and Mass Effect I probably will be playing March's games until May or something.

Top Bottom