• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NieR: Automata Review Thread

Zolo

The sidequests is the area where I feel the game is most improved over the first game. They're all worth doing, absolutely. Very interesting stories attached to each one.

Any as good as collecting 10 pink moonflower seeds?

LotusHD

Banned
Yeah, that's ridiculous. The first game is soo good.

At the very least, they know the perfect moments as to when to start the music, if the demo is any indication.

They arent great from a gameplay perspective, but they add alot to the world.

Reminds me of Gravity Rush 2. Good/charming writing and amusing scenarios, but gameplay-wise it's a bit lacking. That's more than fine for me.

Here's a classic:

hphsNAY.gif
Oh....

My....

God...

This is sex

SheHateMe

This 90 is the best thing ever.

I preordered digitally because I had too many PSN bucks to spend, so I must wait until midnight tonight, but yeah. I'm booting it up minute number one.

I almost want to double dip and get the Steelbook edition from GameUK.

This is beautiful.

My wallet has been dry heaving at all the money I've spent in the past 2 months.

*looks at ME:A, KH 1.5+2.5, and P5*

*pats wallet* It's not over yet.

Over a week and a half before I dare to jump on the hype train

:(

No need for this any more?

9-niersidequestchart.png

That's great news!

Once you have fast travel it's really never too much of a pain to get where you need to go for the side quests.

And like Aeana said, most of them have really interesting/tragic/great little stories attached to them that flesh out the world in cool ways. I almost never do all the side quests in games like these, but I've only got one left.

Papacheeks

Banned
90 on Metacritic right now. Totally not expecting such high scores. The case for 2017 becoming one of the legendary years for gaming continues to grow stronger.
Shame you can't play most of these releases if you are an exclusively Xbox or Nintendo gamer. Well, at least you can play Zelda, which is probably the best of the bunch on a Nintendo console.

Please just stop.

That's subjective. Depends on what u like.

ebil

I usually don't care much, but I'm so happy this game is getting great reviews. It absolutely deserves them, this game is going to be remembered as a classic.

Audioboxer

At the very least, they know the perfect moments as to when to start the music, if the demo is any indication.

Reminds me of Gravity Rush 2. Good/charming writing and amusing scenarios, but gameplay-wise it's a bit lacking. That's more than fine for me.

Hoping there's some sweet "world map riding a boar" song such as this beauty that sticks in your head

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LNZmzLzvJo8&index=2&list=PL8DDD2D047A076DC8

That shit needs to get pressed onto a vinyl, pronto. Long overdue.

ethomaz

Banned
Maybe it is just me but 87 to 88 feels a so small difference.

But 89 to 90 looks like a new category... it gives you a way more power to the game.

Is it crazy? 90 to 91 is so-so too.

Once you have fast travel it's really never too much of a pain to get where you need to go for the side quests.

And like Aeana said, most of them have really interesting/tragic/great little stories attached to them that flesh out the world in cool ways. I almost never do all the side quests in games like these, but I've only got one left.

I feel like the first game had side quests like that too, never really got the hate for them, I mean, sure, some of them were just trolls like the flower side quests or the ones where you have to run from one side of the map to another without getting hit, falling over or rolling but aside from that, they had good storylines behind them all. The Lighthouse Lady side quests and the guy looking for his missing dog were a couple of the highlights that I can recall even now, several years later. They are underrated, imo.

Haven't played 2, cuz 2017.

But yea they are alot like gravity rush sidequests, the gameplay in them is pretty bog standard, but when just traversing the world is a ton of fun and the stories add alot to the world, overall they are a good deal.

Well, I mean, I don't know. It seemed like KH 2.8 was a bit of a let down for people. But I agree regardless. If I play all these great games and have a blast like all of the reviews suggest I will, I'm definitely likely to consider it my favorite year in gaming so far.

Someone made a joke in the new Persona 5 trailer thread that the one problem with 2017's games is that they may be too good. Obviously that's not ever an actual problem, but it is true that at least for me, I won't be able to play all of the excellent games for a long time. Even though I'm hyped for nearly everything, I've barely gotten 1/3 into my first game this year, Yakuza 0, and I don't really expect to finish Automata until Summer.

Well to be fair, KH2.8 is more a remaster with a KH3 demo than anything, so it makes sense why that didn't kill it out of the park.

Haha this is true. There are far too many good games to play. I don't have time to get through all of them. Just too much. Right now I'm playing Zelda then going straight into NieR. Finished Horizon before Zelda and it was a masterpiece.

I usually don't care much, but I'm so happy this game is getting great reviews. It absolutely deserves them, this game is going to be remembered as a classic.

Yeah.

Considering how previous games in the series (counting Drakengard in here too) had a lot of technical/gameplay issues, it's great to see one that gets everything right.

LotusHD

Banned
Hoping there's some sweet "world map riding a boar" song such as this beauty that sticks in your head

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LNZmzLzvJo8&index=2&list=PL8DDD2D047A076DC8

That shit needs to get pressed onto a vinyl, pronto. Long overdue.

Oooh, I love that song.

But 89 to 90 looks like a new category... it gives you a way more power to the game.

Nope, that's why we're a lot happier. 89 is amazing, but 90 makes it easier for people to take notice and go and buy this game lol

Then there's the whole aspect of it being a massive improvement of what Taro has put out in the past.

Haven't played 2, cuz 2017.

But yea they are alot like gravity rush sidequests, the gameplay in them is pretty bog standard, but when just traversing the world is a ton of fun and the stories add alot to the world, overall they are a good deal.

Nice, that'll do just fine then.

I say hand over the next FF to this very exact team.

World Class Arpg gameplay✔

Endearing Characters,great world buildling,unpredictable plot✔

Its exactly this kind of talent that needs to get the funding an FF title gets.

Can you not? For a single thread?

This is a Nier thread.

imo it's better. Different yet still better

I honestly think they complement each other incredibly well (both the original OST and Automata's) and will have divisive opinions on which is "better" (I love them both equally so far) but yeah, it's definitely soundtrack of the year so far. Heck, soundtrack of the generation so far, like NieR was last generation.

Well to be fair, KH2.8 is more a remaster with a KH3 demo than anything, so it makes sense why that didn't kill it out of the park.

Haha this is true. There are far too many good games to play. I don't have time to get through all of them. Just too much. Right now I'm playing Zelda then going straight into NieR. Finished Horizon before Zelda and it was a masterpiece.

Great to hear. I'll try to binge as much as possible during my short week of break between classes. Right now I'm forcing myself to work 7 and a half hours of homework everyday, but I'm thinking of reversing the trend on my break, and making damn sure I get 7 and a half hours of gaming everyday once I'm on break. :D

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Pure Taro*

He's the heart of this game make no mistake, Platinum just competently implemented his ideas.

This is the most honest truth.

Yoko Taro is the heart, Platinum are the body. Emi Evans, Nicole and Keiichi Okabe are the.....nervecenter?

LotusHD

Banned
If this doesn't win GAF's best OST or w/e the contest is called, I'll be surprised. The only other super obvious contender I'm aware of is Persona 5.

ubercheez

Nah, that's how our brains work. It's why stores sell stuff for $9.99 instead of $10.00.

I feel like the first game had side quests like that too, never really got the hate for them, I mean, sure, some of them were just trolls like the flower side quests or the ones where you have to run from one side of the map to another without getting hit, falling over or rolling but aside from that, they had good storylines behind them all. The Lighthouse Lady side quests and the guy looking for his missing dog were a couple of the highlights that I can recall even now, several years later. They are underrated, imo.

i loved the one where you were looking for the
serial dater/conman and it eventually turned out to be the guy that the mother of the junkyard boys ran off with

oh and the one with the guy who
murdered his girlfriend
in facade

you're right they were very underrated, though maybe a bit uneven

e: put in spoiler tags for stuff from the first game

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Wonder if this will mark the start of Square using platinum for their various other projects, they've certainly proven their worth and expertise.

BigAl1992

Just came in to say damn, that's a very impressive score on Metacritic. I was debating it in my mind, but after seeing some of the gameplay and the high scores it's being getting, I'm definitely going to get it on Friday. Just have to wait another four days before it's out over here.

Hektor

Wonder if this will mark the start of Square using platinum for their various other projects, they've certainly proven their worth and expertise.

If Automata sells well i can't see a world where this isn't happening.
Platinum really could need it and Square doesn't stand to lose much.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
If Automata sells well i can't see a world where this isn't happening.
Platinum really could need it and Square doesn't stand to lose much.

Honestly I feel like square would benefit the most from that arrangement. They have an awfully inefficient turn around on their games for fairly mediocre results. A studio like Platinum could cut down budgets and time and simultaneously increase the quality. e.g if platinum was given versus we'd be on vs 17 by now and vs 13 have had a higher mectacritic score than 82 (or whatever it ended up at).

Tubie

90 MC with almost 40 reviews holy shit.

Was not expecting this at all, and I actually liked the demo.

I guess I'm getting this as soon as I finish Horizon.

My 2016 backlog may rest in peace cause with Mass Effect and Persona 5 in the near future, I have no idea when I will have time to deal with it.

Top Bottom