• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NieR: Automata Review Thread

I'm having trouble reconciling these 9/10 and 10/10 reviews with the demo I played. While I know that not every genre and game appeals to everyone, I feel that 9+/10 games basically should transcend genre preferences and appeal to a wide audience because of their quality, and so I'm left wondering if the demo just doesn't capture what is special about the game. I played the demo three times to make sure, but I just didn't find the combat compelling, nor the slice of narrative or characters I saw. Maybe the demo just wasn't good at presenting the game?

I really disagree with that view. That's the old way of reviewing games, but it's thankfully gone. These days reviewers tend to focus on their subjective experience, rather than trying to second-guess how a mainstream audience would react. That's absolutely the way to go, in my opinion. Just read the reviews and figure out from the texts whether the issues raised would be negatives for YOU, or whether positives would be positives for YOU. The number is meaningless on its own

mollipen

I'm having trouble reconciling these 9/10 and 10/10 reviews with the demo I played. While I know that not every genre and game appeals to everyone, I feel that 9+/10 games basically should transcend genre preferences and appeal to a wide audience because of their quality, and so I'm left wondering if the demo just doesn't capture what is special about the game. I played the demo three times to make sure, but I just didn't find the combat compelling, nor the slice of narrative or characters I saw. Maybe the demo just wasn't good at presenting the game?

That's exactly what I go into in my review. When I first played the demo and realized it wasn't Bayonetta 3, I was kind of like "oh". And then, getting through that and the beginning of the game, I felt like it wasn't really going to be a great game.

It grows, though, like a pot coming to boil. It doesn't hit right away, but it starts getting its hooks into you. And, bit by bit, you start to realize that it's going to be a better game than you expected. And then, it does to make you briefly go back to that "oh" feelings—but then it pulls you back in, and ramps up ever more.

There's plenty of games that I've played where I knew of their quality or had a good feel for what to expect in the first hour, if not 15 minutes. This absolutely isn't one of those games.

Though, I should also say I totally disagree with your idea of what a 9/10 should be, because then at that point you could—for example—have the greatest flight simulator that's ever been produced, but not be able to give it a score on that level because your average person won't care about flight sims. I've heard that point argued by some outlets over the years, and I've always thought it was BS.

Why the appeal to a wide audience part? That doesn't make any sense to me. Quality has nothing to do with mass appeal

I really disagree with that view. That's the old way of reviewing games, but it's thankfully gone. These days reviewers tend to focus on their subjective experience, rather than trying to second-guess how a mainstream audience would react. That's absolutely the way to go, in my opinion. Just read the reviews and figure out from the texts whether the issues raised would be negatives for YOU, or whether positives would be positives for YOU. The number is meaningless on its own

I think Gameinformer and other outlets still review games like this. That's why I don't respect them.

addik

Did the same:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=168375999&postcount=85

Seems accurate.

I actually did scream at work. It was awkward.

That video made me look up my reaction to the reveal
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=168375198&postcount=35

Still unreal tbh

Man, I remember being sick during E3 2015, but still stayed up a bit for the SE conference and thinking how boring it was. I thought that I would quit and go to bed after this game was being announced as a secret project.

Then, I saw Platinum and Okabe's name pop out. Then, Yoko Taro's, then the bg music suddenly played a melody fro Nier, and I literally screamed out of joy. I saw the Sony E3 trifecta happening due to rumors, but this game came completely out of nowhere and with no indication that we should be expecting a new Nier
Game.

I can't believe this game exists and that it looks like its going to score 20 pts above its predecessor.

Exokell

Banned
Wow... I never liked the first one... too anime for my taste when it came to the ending. Can't wait to play this though. PS4 is killing it.

True Fire

Reviewers are playing coy because of blatant spoilers. There are very specific r[e]asons why this is getting 10/10 reviews.

To be fair, the demo actually leaves out quite a lot of game mechanics that are in the full game and completely leaves out the RPG aspects, word traversal and story aspect. The music is also far better in the main game, the demo was just really an introduction to the action aspect, there's different combat styles and weapons that really elevate the enjoyment for me.

Basketball

glad you don't review games

ebil

I saw some talk in the thread about multiple playthroughs. Do you mean like a new game plus with some new stuff/new gear to unlock, or are there new missions and locations, etc.?
It's a bit of both. It's hard to describe without falling into spoiler territory but the game doesn't end after clearing it once. Far from it.

Vigamox

Or maybe the game just isn't for you? There are a lot of 9+/10 games that don't appeal to a wide audience. Take Bloodborne for example- highly rated and critically acclaimed, but it instead appeals to a niche audience and certainly isn't for everyone.

I saw some talk in the thread about multiple playthroughs. Do you mean like a new game plus with some new stuff/new gear to unlock, or are there new missions and locations, etc.?

New story, side quests, equipment, characters, cutscenes, think of it as a continuation of the main game, since that's what it is.

drotahorror

Kind of up in the air about whether to get this. I thought the demo was cool but really hard, I played it on hard though.

I thought Horizon was nothing special, bought it and loved it.
I thought Breath of the Wild looked amazing, bought it and not digging it at all.
Really not sure about NieR now. It was a 100% buy before I played the demo.

The demo is representative of only a few hours of the full game at max, thats being really generous with those hours.

mollipen

There's no way to explain without gameplay spoilers, so:
You play the first half of the game as 2B with 9S, and then you go back and play from 9S's perspective. So, a lot of things will be the same, but some things will be different, because he wasn't always directly with her. You're replaying a lot of the main beats you went through the first time, but it goes much faster because you know what to do/where to go, you're more powerful this time around, and all of the quests you've done are already done (unless you didn't do them the first time and want to do them now). And then, once you've completed the game again, you then basically play the second half.

Reviewers are playing coy because of blatant spoilers. There are very specific r[e]asons why this is getting 10/10 reviews.

Chalk me up as one of the people who don't get why c[e]rtain things supposedly had as big of an impact as they did for others.

True Fire

This question is a spoiler minefield lol. I would just play the game multiple times and see what happens.

Ruff

Oh man I seriously can't wait for the PC release. I played the demo on my GF's PS4 when I got a small chance and I really dug the feel of the combat. So happy at this rush of good games hitting my face lately.

Lanrutcon

So if I read that one review right, the game has upgrading and stats and stuff? to compliment the DMC shenanigans?

Cause that sounds goddamn awesome.

What I mean is they ask themselves before putting a number to the review if it will appeal to mainstream audience or not, which I don't like.

Yeah I know. What I'm saying is, we can safely ignore those few outlets, as they are growing fewer in numbers all the time. Especially so these days, with personality-driven content becoming way more common in games media

TLDR: read Game Informer for their exclusive features, not for their reviews

So if I read that one review right, the game has upgrading and stats and stuff? to compliment the DMC shenanigans?

It's an action RPG, so you have things like a bajillion weapons, chips that you equip to change stats/add skills/increase drop rates etc, as well as plain old level raising.

O_Atoll

Sony + Japan with another one. Damn. 2017 The resurgent of Japan? MGS5,Bloodborne, Yakuza 0, Zelda, Nier, soon Persona. Wow.

Lanrutcon

It's an action RPG, so you have things like a bajillion weapons, chips that you equip to change stats/add skills/increase drop rates etc, as well as plain old level raising.

Excellent. For some reason, up until the reviews came out I thought the game was straight up DMC.

addik

Yep, your character levels up, and you can upgrade your weapons and your pod.

In addition, you can also equip chips which either boosts stats, gain you certain passive abilities, and even add HUD elements to your screen to help you with some stuff out (in reverse, you can also declutter the HUD through this feature and even go HUD-less). Chips have allotted slots though and you can buy more slots.

I'm playing Zelda right now and my copy of Automata is sealed, but the problem is: I'm enjoying Zelda a lot and I'm still far away from reaching the end. I finished Nioh before playing Zelda and only reached chapter 5 in Yakuza 0. Too many games, too little time, I feel like I'm in gaming heaven.

You don't get to manipulate any stats or anything like that but there is lots of customisation on offer which will effect your playstyle, being evasive vs defensive vs offensive, critical damage, lots of min/max. And also UI choices (seeing enemy levels, HP etc). And yes, you do upgrade these throughout the game to stay on top of enemies. Crafting is in the game too, so if you enjoy your usual RPG elements, they are here too.

SarusGray

I'm playing Zelda right now and my copy of Automata is sealed, but the problem is: I'm enjoying Zelda a lot and I'm still far away from reaching the end. I finished Nioh before playing Zelda and only reached chapter 5 in Yakuza 0. Too many games, too little time, I feel like I'm in gaming heaven.

it feels good....

Maybe you have shit taste?
/s

I'm still pretty amazed so many good games hit in such a short amount of time, but what's even more overwhelming is the variety of these games, action RPG, adventure, story-driven, they all are so unique and different I really want to get to all of them, and I will get to all of them...

Honestly, after April, I will probably not buy anything besides Destiny 2 for the rest of the year.

Grief.exe

Why the appeal to a wide audience part? That doesn't make any sense to me. Quality has nothing to do with mass appeal

It's usually the inverse 😂😂😂

Maybe he is referring to most of these outlets tend to give better scores to games with more mainstream appeal?

True Fire

Chalk me up as one of the people who don't get why c[e]rtain things supposedly had as big of an impact as they did for others.

The [e]nding is a metatextual love letter to the video game medium as a whole. You can't tell me you didn't get choked up
reading the inspirational messages from players who deleted their save data so that you could view the true ending, and then writing an inspirational message in turn for other players. The theme of the game is dreams coming true, and by working with other players you can break the fabric of the video game's reality to save the main characters. It's pretty heavy.

I wasn't suggesting a review score should be based on mainstream appeal, I was saying that games at a certain level transcend genre preference. Maybe because I'm currently playing Yakuza 0, and it does so many things right that even if you're not a fan of beat-em-ups or Japanese-centric games, you'll get sucked in by the quality of story, etc.

But it's true, not every high-scoring game is that way. I disliked what I played of Nioh, and yet it's been a critical darling. So apologies for my muddled thought.

That's exactly what I go into in my review. When I first played the demo and realized it wasn't Bayonetta 3, I was kind of like "oh". And then, getting through that and the beginning of the game, I felt like it wasn't really going to be a great game.

It grows, though, like a pot coming to boil. It doesn't hit right away, but it starts getting its hooks into you. And, bit by bit, you start to realize that it's going to be a better game than you expected. And then, it does to make you briefly go back to that "oh" feelings—but then it pulls you back in, and ramps up ever more.

There's plenty of games that I've played where I knew of their quality or had a good feel for what to expect in the first hour, if not 15 minutes. This absolutely isn't one of those games.

Thanks for the perspective. It kind of sounds (and the Polygon review I just read sort of reinforces this) that Automata rises above the sum of its parts? Like the open world bits sound a bit janky, but the story is so good that you don't care?

One thing I didn't like about the demo was the sort of oppressively grim color palette and industrial look. Do the world and enemies get more vibrant and colorful in the game, or is Rusty Apocalypse the general vibe?

Jiraiza

The full game essentially just turns the demo upside-down on its head. It's kind of ridiculous, but made for an awesome experience from beginning to end.

Aeana

The demo you played tells you very little about the game. It doesn't even show the game's genre accurately.

Thanks for the perspective. It kind of sounds (and the Polygon review I just read sort of reinforces this) that Automata rises above the sum of its parts? Like the open world bits sound a bit janky, but the story is so good that you don't care?

rising above the sum of its parts is pretty much nier in a nutshell

Top Bottom