• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NieR: Automata Review Thread

Japan @ the 2017 GOTY Awards:

iPFOazd.png

I hope they don't undership this game. Might negatively affect momentum. With all this hype I don't think it's unrealistic to say it will sell 1M in the west.

Audioboxer

I hope they don't undership this game. Might negatively affect momentum. With all this hype I don't think it's unrealistic to say it will sell 1M in the west.

As someone else joked/alluded to, as long as many in the west don't get Nier/Nioh mixed up and/or think they are the same game :p Nier? Oh yeah, that samurai game, I bought it a while back, I don't buy games twice.

The sidequests is the area where I feel the game is most improved over the first game. They're all worth doing, absolutely. Very interesting stories attached to each one.

Oh wow nice. Wasn't expecting improved sidequests at all. Just more icing on the cake.

I feel like the first game had side quests like that too, never really got the hate for them, I mean, sure, some of them were just trolls like the flower side quests or the ones where you have to run from one side of the map to another without getting hit, falling over or rolling but aside from that, they had good storylines behind them all. The Lighthouse Lady side quests and the guy looking for his missing dog were a couple of the highlights that I can recall even now, several years later. They are underrated, imo.

Agreed. The sidequests made Nier an incredibly comfy, immersive game, even when it was stabbing you in the heart. They really established a connection between the player and the world, so that it actually mattered when shit hit the fan.

But, if you add up all the $0.01s you have now saved in your lifetime, it's enough to buy a copy of Nier ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

rly maeks u think huh......

As someone else joked/alluded to, as long as many in the west don't get Nier/Nioh mixed up and/or think they are the same game :p Nier? Oh yeah, that samurai game, I bought it a while back, I don't buy games twice.
Thankfully both are distinct enough in art style and premise. But do share silverhaired protags... o_O

Genuinely surprised to see this sitting at a 90 MC currently, but it's a very pleasant surprise to be sure. I honestly thought this wasn't going to get past the low 80's (tempered expectations and some stuff I experienced in my playthrough), so seeing a 90 is really cool. I have to admit though, a lot of the reviewers are seeing this game through very different lenses than I am. EGM's review is probably the one I agree with the most, since it mentions pretty much every issue I had with Automata from a gameplay standpoint.

Agreed. The sidequests made Nier an incredibly comfy, immersive game, even when it was stabbing you in the heart. They really established a connection between the player and the world, so that it actually mattered when shit hit the fan.

They also inform the player of what the world was like as well for the NPCs, especially since the main quest is so centred on the adventures of Nier and also the banter between Nier and the party members makes it so worthwhile. I recall the banter for every side quest being really funny especially those between Weiss and Kaine with Emil and Nier being middle men saying "guys, come on, let's get along". Just the back and forth...I could listen to those characters talk to each other all day. The dialogue elevates it all so much. So good.

RedAssedApe

Banned
slightly surprised. the impressions coming out of the OT made me think that this game was probably good but not great. granted probably not all that many people on here playing the japanese release

also that review that said... "Put simply, NieR: Automata is the greatest game ever made." heh...i'm looking for their zelda review.

Not asking for spoilers just curious

For the tons of endings this game apparently has, are they all straightforward/clear what you have to do for the most part or is it something I'll need to look up?

TheDragon

Couldn't have been a better comeback for Japan. I think all these devs could have had a roundtable over sake and decided to stretch this bonanza over the year, since I am sure many credit cards are at there limits now :)

Gbraga

For the tons of endings this game apparently has, are they all straightforward/clear what you have to do for the most part or is it something I'll need to look up?

All of the major "canon" ones are straightforward, you just have to keep playing. The others are more specific, but they're alternative endings to give you a bit more insight into that world, instead of actual conclusions to the story.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony

26 endings in total for each letter of the alphabet. A lot are joke humor endings, a few are serious lore based endings, but only A B C D and E are legitimate canon story based endings. They are fairly straightforward to get

I'm having trouble reconciling these 9/10 and 10/10 reviews with the demo I played. While I know that not every genre and game appeals to everyone, I feel that 9+/10 games basically should transcend genre preferences and appeal to a wide audience because of their quality, and so I'm left wondering if the demo just doesn't capture what is special about the game. I played the demo three times to make sure, but I just didn't find the combat compelling, nor the slice of narrative or characters I saw. Maybe the demo just wasn't good at presenting the game?

All of the major "canon" ones are straightforward, you just have to keep playing. The others are more specific, but they're alternative endings to give you a bit more insight into that world, instead of actual conclusions to the story.

5 main, 21 jokes.

26 endings in total for each letter of the alphabet. A lot are joke humor endings, a few are serious lore based endings, but only A B C D and E are legitimate canon story based endings. They are fairly straightforward to get
Excellent, thanks

Figured they wouldn't make main ones obscure but I have no experience with the franchise.

Well add this one to my list.

The one thing I don't like about all these 2017 releases is that they're almost too good.

Seriously its only March and my 2017 PS4 backlog is:

1) Nioh
2) Horizon
3) NieR: Automata
4) Resident Evil 7
5) Yakuza 0
6) Night in the Woods
7) Ys Origin
8) Torment: Tides of Numenera

Only two of those have Metacritic scores below 84, for whatever that's worth (Ys 78, Torment 76).

Goddammit I bought this game like two weeks ago and haven't really had a chance to get into it yet. This gif really makes me want to.
You really should. Yakuza 0 is an amazing game that unfortunately (?!) is being surrounded by other amazing games, hahaha.

That gif is from Yakuza Kiwami though. Yakuza 1 Remake that comes out this summer.

FTF

Seriously, there are too many good games and not enough time. RE7, Horzion, Zelda, Nioh, Nier, Yakuza 0, Persona 5, etc, etc. I will never be able to play them all.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
I'm having trouble reconciling these 9/10 and 10/10 reviews with the demo I played. While I know that not every genre and game appeals to everyone, I feel that 9+/10 games basically should transcend genre preferences and appeal to a wide audience because of their quality, and so I'm left wondering if the demo just doesn't capture what is special about the game. I played the demo three times to make sure, but I just didn't find the combat compelling, nor the slice of narrative or characters I saw. Maybe the demo just wasn't good at presenting the game?

I felt that way with Mass Effect games, some Zelda games and Uncharted games to mention a few. Just because they are universally praised they wont automatically click with you. Nothing wrong with that as everyone has different preferences.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony

"wide audiences", not every genre appeals to everyone by default, so thinking that should be the barometer for 9 or 10s is faulty. Especially when games like witcher and games like zelda also dont appeal to absolutely everyone.

No spoilers, but yeah the demo is literally the exact opposite of the actual game. Open world instead of cramped, the characters actual personalities and characters are expanded and you learn about their reasons in general as well as the world. Its significnt stuff.

Gbraga

The demo was more focused on the action part, mainly to show people how much stronger it is compared to their previous titles, as well as avoiding big spoilers.

That being said, I thought it was quite a compelling demo, so there's a good chance it may just not be for you. Like, the consensus is that the demo doesn't show anything and the game is much more than that, but I don't think I've seen a single person saying they actually disliked the demo but liked the game.

Also worth saying, the reception of the demo was incredibly positive, in general.

Top Bottom