• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NieR: Automata Review Thread

First non-remaster S-E game to get a 90 since 2006.

The last one was Final Fantasy XII

Boy has it been aaages...

Edit 1: Oh Chaos Rings got 92 lol...that too...since 2010 then.

Edit 2: Deus Ex: HR got a 90 on PC at launch too. Since 2011 then.

This is the first time I actively hope they plaster the metacritic score and review blurbs all over the front cover. Western cover is ugly (and reversible) anyway:p Too bad it's too late for that anyways.

This is the first time I actively hope they plaster the metacritic score and review blurbs all over the front cover. Western cover is ugly (and reversible) anyway:p Too bad it's too late for that anyways.

If this really keeps up, we're gonna get a Accolades trailer either this week or next :D

Honestly, based on reading the GI review, that's not the impression I got. It felt very much like the reviewer's opinion, not how much broad appeal the game would have.

I'm not saying that because of GI's Automata review, it's really a factor for them when giving scores, I saw a pattern in their reviews and I think I read their review policy a couple of years ago.

Mihos

Gold Member
I am ready for a Zelda break, so this sounds awesome. I had it preordered direct from Square, they are usually pretty good on getting it here on release day.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Deus Ex: Human Revolution is 90 on PC, while the Director's Cut is 91.

Yea I was about to say lol. If not counting mobile but we are counting published games, it would be Human Revolution. Which was definitely a 9/10 game!

I'm not saying that because of GI's Automata review, it's really a factor for them when giving scores, I saw a pattern in their reviews and I think I read their review policy a couple of years ago.

I read their reviews pretty regularly and I've never gotten that impression from them. Are there any reviews in particular that you believe fit that mold?

mollipen

Thanks for the perspective. It kind of sounds (and the Polygon review I just read sort of reinforces this) that Automata rises above the sum of its parts? Like the open world bits sound a bit janky, but the story is so good that you don't care?

There's some jank, but not as much as you originally think. And even just on a gameplay level, the great combat really helps elevate things, even before you get to any other elements.

Having played tons of "janky" Japanese games over my lifetime, this is one where the combat actually will be good, and the story not throw-away nonsense, and the characters not intolerable dolts. If you've played those kinds of games and thought, "Man, this could actually be a decent game if it were just more competently made"—Nier is (mostly) what you wish it had been. And, it's a game where you're almost glad it didn't have a bigger budget, because had it, it might have spiraled out of control into something not nearly as enjoyable.

One thing I didn't like about the demo was the sort of oppressively grim color palette and industrial look. Do the world and enemies get more vibrant and colorful in the game, or is Rusty Apocalypse the general vibe?

There's at least one area in the game that is about as opposite of that area as you could possibly get. Trust me, there's a lot more waiting out there.

Thanks for the perspective. It kind of sounds (and the Polygon review I just read sort of reinforces this) that Automata rises above the sum of its parts? Like the open world bits sound a bit janky, but the story is so good that you don't care?

One thing I didn't like about the demo was the sort of oppressively grim color palette and industrial look. Do the world and enemies get more vibrant and colorful in the game, or is Rusty Apocalypse the general vibe?

Yeah, it does. It's a game that has some real flaws, but the story works so well that it still ends up being a great time even with the flaws that it has.

The game definitely becomes more colorful and varied after you leave the factory, but it still keeps the "rusty apocalypse" feeling in a lot of ways.

ironcreed

Banned
Does this have similar combat/vibe as ffxv?

Isiah-Whitlock-Jr.-Sheeeit.gif

FFXV wishes it played like this, and no, the vibe is in a completely different realm. Yoko Taro games are usually a complete mind fuck... and that is putting it mildly.

I read their reviews pretty regularly and I've never gotten that impression from them. Are there any reviews in particular that you believe fit that mold?

It's a pattern, but for example the first Dark Souls (hard game not for everyone ) which is one of the best games ever made got 8.75.

Also, like I have said, I read their review policy years ago and after reading it, I stopped caring for their opinion.

Majmun

Wtfff, I never expected this!!

Nier is a magnificent game at 61 Metascore. This one sitting at ~90 Meta makes me really happy and proud of the team.

Can't wait to play this.

JayEH

Excellent. For some reason, up until the reviews came out I thought the game was straight up DMC.

They were marketed like it was an action game for a while to be honest. It was only in the last few months they started showing the more RPG elements.

Does this have similar combat/vibe as ffxv?

If you've played any of platinum's other action games namely Bayonetta or MGR it is somewhat similar to that.

BeeDog

I was thinking of importing the Limited Edition from the UK since it is completely sold out in Sweden (and Webhallen screwed me out of my pre-order).

If I would buy the game in the UK, will the Day One DLC code that comes with it be redeemable in the Swedish store, or are UK PSN codes not valid in Sweden?

Thanks in advance.

Wow ACG gushing about this makes me really interested. Can't wait to try it after Horizon. Will make the wait for Zelda and a Switch that much easier.

Neptonic

I was expecting all of the big review sites to end up like Game Informer's, where they didn't see the depth in the combat and disliked the way the story was told.

Never in my life would I have imagined this game getting a ~90 MC.

I figured an 80 was too high.

My hype for this title is so high, and I remember when I was just damn happy it existed.

DirtyLarry

So I never really knew anything about this game or series, it is just one of those that never wound up on my radar. I know of Platinum, and I know of their stellar reputation when it comes to action games.

I get the Kotaku daily newsletter and I saw the review for this game today. I had no idea it mixed so many genres.

I am a fan of all of the genres Kotaku lists and I am downloading the demo now, so I definitely plan on checking it out. It is awesome when you had no idea about a game then it just pops out of nowhere and is also getting such critical acclaim. I may even have to purchase it based on what I am reading.

Luminaire

So I never really knew anything about this game or series, it is just one of those that never wound up on my radar. I know of Platinum, and I know of their stellar reputation when it comes to action games.

I get the Kotaku daily newsletter and I saw the review for this game today. I had no idea it mixed so many genres.

I am a fan of all of the genres Kotaku lists and I am downloading the demo now, so I definitely plan on checking it out. It is awesome when you had no idea about a game then it just pops out of nowhere and is also getting such critical acclaim. I may even have to purchase it based on what I am reading.

I really hope you enjoy it. Please don't let the positive buzz overhype it and inflate your expectations! Go simply thinking "I might like this."

90 metacritic, 200k launch in japan, if this can chart in NPD then i dont see why SE wouldnt immediately greenlight another sequel with Platinum.

Hell, they should be looking at the scalebound team and wondering what else they can do with Platinum.

Top Bottom