• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NieR: Automata Review Thread

Lmao right?

On paper I knew it could do it, but realistically I was like nah, 85 minimum lpl

I agree that i didnt see a 90 coming, i was expecting an 80 and hoping for 85. If you think about it logically thoughit makes perfect sense.

Nier was praised for its story and music, but given low scores because of...basically everything else.

You take the director and composer of the game and give him a team that excels in combat and graphics and all of a sudden you have a very well rounded game with high quality story, music, combat, graphics, and platinum games level of polish. It really shouldnt be surprising that its a 90 metacritic.

90 metacritic, 200k launch in japan, if this can chart in NPD then i dont see why SE wouldnt immediately greenlight another sequel with Platinum.

Hell, they should be looking at the scalebound team and wondering what else they can do with Platinum.
Retool Scalebound into a Drakengard sequel! Les go Squeenix!

JayEH

Platinum Games has made 90 metacritic games with 3 different publishers, thats absolutely astonishing.

when given the proper budget they produce greatness. a lot of people think they lost their touch the last few years which is ridiculous considering the activision games were made with a happy meal budget (though from what i hear Transformers turned out pretty good) and star fox was just bad direction from miyamoto.

myco666

I was thinking of importing the Limited Edition from the UK since it is completely sold out in Sweden (and Webhallen screwed me out of my pre-order).

If I would buy the game in the UK, will the Day One DLC code that comes with it be redeemable in the Swedish store, or are UK PSN codes not valid in Sweden?

Thanks in advance.

Atleast the games I have bought from UK had codes that worked fine on my Finnish account. Obviously can't guarantee that it will be the same with this game but most likely it should work.

LotusHD

Banned
I agree that i didnt see a 90 coming, i was expecting an 80 and hoping for 85. If you think about it logically thoughit makes perfect sense.

Nier was praised for its story and music, but given low scores because of...basically everything else.

You take the director and composer of the game and give him a team that excels in combat and graphics and all of a sudden you have a very well rounded game with high quality story, music, combat, graphics, and platinum games level of polish. It really shouldnt be surprising that its a 90 metacritic.

That's what Nier fans were saying from Day 1, and I believed them. Glad it paid off.

Grief.exe

90 metacritic, 200k launch in japan, if this can chart in NPD then i dont see why SE wouldnt immediately greenlight another sequel with Platinum.

Hell, they should be looking at the scalebound team and wondering what else they can do with Platinum.

Square said they would likely remaster the original Nier as well if this is successful, Platinum likely wouldn't be involved with that.

Looks like we are seeing more Nier in the future.

Exentryk

It reached 90?!

84Var0j.png

97FFu6t.gif

Please don't drop.

Majmun

I hope SE releases a NieR remaster after all the positive reception. I'm sure people would love to (re)play the original after this game.

I would.

when given the proper budget they produce greatness. a lot of people think they lost their touch the last few years which is ridiculous considering the activision games were made with a happy meal budget (though from what i hear Transformers turned out pretty good) and star fox was just bad direction from miyamoto.

that was mostly just people doing everything in their power to deflect any blame from microsoft for the scalebound situation

SDCowboy

I'm actually a bit surprised by the score. I wasn't that hot on the demo, and figured it would be around a 75 average. I may have to give the game another go at some point.

Romeeeeeeeeeee

Neo Member
Well add this one to my list.

The one thing I don't like about all these 2017 releases is that they're almost too good.

Seriously its only March and my 2017 PS4 backlog is:

1) Nioh
2) Horizon
3) NieR: Automata
4) Resident Evil 7
5) Yakuza 0
6) Night in the Woods
7) Ys Origin
8) Torment: Tides of Numenera

Only two of those have Metacritic scores below 84, for whatever that's worth (Ys 78, Torment 76).

2017 has been a great year so far. Not so great for my wallet though :(.

P90

I'm not a MetaCritic worshipper. I only needed to play the demo and know it was Platinum making the game for it to be a must buy and play asap. For my order of playing, it will be Nier: Automata then LoZ: BotW. Of course, P5 might push LoZ back... Sony and Nintendo, don't need anything more. ;)

Zeneric

man, i want to buy this game when it's out on steam. but it's so expensive ($80 CAD). maybe it'll be cheaper on resellers.

Anticol

Banned
2017 has been a great year so far. Not so great for my wallet though :(.

For ps4 owners yes, yes it has. I am in a sinilar position as others my backlog is increasing a ton but no regrets tbh, Iwas looking forqard to this game and I am glad the reviews are this great.

I can not be happier of choosing ps this generation, I look at ms with the xbone and what do they have this year so far, halo wars 2 and thats it? What a shame throwing away all the work 360 did, anyway can't wait to play nier.

watdaeff4

that was mostly just people doing everything in their power to deflect any blame from microsoft for the scalebound situation

Some but I think Transformers, Star Fox and TMNT games they pumped out in the last couple years can't be shrugged off.

One could have legit concern with their recent productions.
i liked transformers

LotusHD

Banned
For ps4 owners yes, yes it has. I am in a sinilar position as others my backlog is increasing a ton but no regrets tbh, Iwas looking forqard to this game and I am glad the reviews are this great.

I can not be happier of choosing ps this gneeration, I look at ms with the xbone and what do they have this year so far, halo wars 2 abd thats it? What a shame throwing away all the work 360 did, anyway can't wait to play nier.

I'm not a MetaCritic worshipper. I only needed to play the demo and know it was Platinum making the game for it to be a must buy and play asap. For my order of playing, it will be Nier: Automata then LoZ: BotW. Of course, P5 might push LoZ back... Sony and Nintendo, don't need anything more. ;)

Let's not do this guys.

WetWaffle

Someone should make a ps4 version of that legendary ps2 software lineup pic but for spring. Also if Nier is getting a 90, then persona is getting 90 too without a doubt, unless something stupid happens like reviewers finding the stylish presentation pretentious and docking it for that

man, i want to buy this game when it's out on steam. but it's so expensive ($80 CAD). maybe it'll be cheaper on resellers.
The $80 CAD day one price is seriously delaying me from buying games from the get go unless I have a gift card or something. That's $90 after tax for Ontarians...

mrmickfran

So we're sitting at a 90? Goddamn.

A year ago, if you told me that Nier would be the highest reviewed PS4 game of the year (even beating out RE7), I would've laughed.

UrbanRats

I'm having trouble reconciling these 9/10 and 10/10 reviews with the demo I played. While I know that not every genre and game appeals to everyone, I feel that 9+/10 games basically should transcend genre preferences and appeal to a wide audience because of their quality, and so I'm left wondering if the demo just doesn't capture what is special about the game. I played the demo three times to make sure, but I just didn't find the combat compelling, nor the slice of narrative or characters I saw. Maybe the demo just wasn't good at presenting the game?

This is kind of bollocks.
How would a 9/10 Grand Strategy game appeal to people not into strategy games, without watering down its elements so much that it becomes... not a very deep strategy game?
Same can be said for action games, though they have an easier appeal.
Or a game like ArmA, or any other "simulator".

watdaeff4

Last year? Make it last week. I feel a bit bad for Horizon.

I'm torn I just bought Nioh and Horizon but thinking of picking this up and playing it first

Main thing I'm holding off is cuz S-E games wind up with a good PSN discount usually within a couple of months

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
I'm torn I just bought Nioh and Horizon but thinking of picking this up and playing it first

Main thing I'm holding off is cuz S-E games wind up with a good PSN discount usually within a couple of months

Im not holding you from buying it. Actually Im pushing you to press the buy button.

LProtag

Wow.

Really happy this game is getting great reviews. It feels like a game that's destined to be a hidden gem, and I'd like to see more people take notice of it.

Aenima

I hope SE releases a NieR remaster after all the positive reception. I'm sure people would love to (re)play the original after this game.

I would.

I would be happy if they at least put the original for PS3 on the PS Store. I wanted to buy the phisical version, but the PS3 version is going for high prices everywhere.

cookturkey

Neo Member
Holy fuck. Never in my wildest dreams did I imagine that: (i) we would ever get a NieR sequel; and (ii) it would get a meta score of 90.

Now all it just needs to do is sell well. Would hate for Taro and Platinum to get sidelined because of all the other 'big' games this season.

Top Bottom