• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NieR: Automata Review Thread

S-E dream outsourcing:

Mistwalker - FFXVI

Platinum Games - Parasite Eve

From Software - Vagrant Story/Ivalice Game of some ilk

Let's let the Business Divisions make new IP's

LotusHD

Banned
Some of the praise in that video is insane. What the hell? Platinum Games and life-altering stories? Wow.

We on that Zelda BoTW level praise now lol

If Zelda's are about the open world, seems Nier's highest praises are for the story. And that's amazing that that's still a major standout when it also has great combat and music. I recall people worrying that this would be a tamer entry for Taro.

Here's a GIF as a reward!

AD918JQ.gif

This is why Mikami used movie borders in RE4 and TEW.

Labolas

S-E dream outsourcing:

Mistwalker - FFXVI

The story has to be on point though because I remember hearing how bad 3rd Birthday's story is.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
This is too much hype D:

Pretty much my reaction at the end of the original Nier; if you "let it in", emotionally and intellectually Yoko's stuff is a fucking mind bomb.

The remarkable thing is it all works because its a videogame that knows its a videogame, not an interactive movie or some sort of hybrid. I guess its because he uses the familiar tropes of the form to ambush you.

Its always kind of chafed on me a bit that the adjective most often used to describe Yoko Taro's approach is "weird", which is true enough but connotes a sort of facile eccentricity, a gimmick if you will. The reality is though that his stuff is whip-smart, rigorously thought-through in order to elicit a reaction.

This is kind of bollocks.
How would a 9/10 Grand Strategy game appeal to people not into strategy games, without watering down its elements so much that it becomes... not a very deep strategy game?
Same can be said for action games, though they have an easier appeal.
Or a game like ArmA, or any other "simulator".

I guess you missed my follow-up:
I wasn't suggesting a review score should be based on mainstream appeal, I was saying that games at a certain level transcend genre preference. Maybe because I'm currently playing Yakuza 0, and it does so many things right that even if you're not a fan of beat-em-ups or Japanese-centric games, you'll get sucked in by the quality of story, etc.

But it's true, not every high-scoring game is that way. I disliked what I played of Nioh, and yet it's been a critical darling. So apologies for my muddled thought.

"NieR: Automata is the greatest game ever made. [...] Yoko Taro is gaming’s Shakespeare, Da Vinci, and Welles, all rolled into one."

http://www.digitallydownloaded.net/2017/03/review-nier-automata-greatest-game-ever.html

Automata is an easy 9/10 and I think Taro has been the most valuable person in the gaming industry for a long time, but I burst out laughing when I saw that quote from the review you linked.

I can actually understand why this game would make people feel that way, but it's still very silly.

GunBR

Looks like Nier Automata is gonna be one of the nominees to a bunch of GOTY awards at the end of the year. And I'm not talking about GAF GOTY

Who would expect that?

True Fire

Automata is an easy 9/10 and I think Taro has been the most valuable person in the gaming industry for a long time, but I burst out laughing when I saw that quote from the review you linked.

I can actually understand why this game would make people feel that way, but it's still very silly.

I don't agree with the review at all, but the fact that a game could make someone feel like way is pretty exciting.

Vancouver

Nier getting a Meta this high when the original had a 68? Pretty crazy stuff.

It's the reverse of Devil May Cry to Devil May Cry 2

EVO

Glad the game is doing well, but reviews like that Digitally Downloaded one are why I don't take Metacritic seriously.

I'll probably pick this up after I'm done with Horizon, but I'm cautiously optimistic since I wasn't a huge fan of Metal Gear Rising.

Nier getting a Meta this high when the original had a 68? Pretty crazy stuff.

It's the reverse of Devil May Cry to Devil May Cry 2

Been lots of that happening this year

Resident Evil 6 (74 metacritic) Resident Evil VII (86 metacritic)

Ninja Gaiden 3 metacritic (58 metacritic) Nioh (87 metacritic) same director for both games

Killzone Shadowfall (73 metacritic) Horizon (88 metacritic)

Nier (68 metacritic) Nier Automata Metacritic (90)

You could also look at Platinum's activision published games like TMNT (31 metacritic) but thats obviously a different team, but still. It's amazing how big of a difference there is between Activision and any other publisher that Platinum has worked with, they're really bad.

Orayn

S-E dream outsourcing:

Mistwalker - FFXVI

Mistwalker isn't really a standalone developer when it comes to AAA games, they themselves outsource most of the work.

SarusGray

Glad the game is doing well, but reviews like that Digitally Downloaded one are why I don't take Metacritic seriously.

I'll probably pick this up after I'm done with Horizon, but I'm cautiously optimistic since I wasn't a huge fan of Metal Gear Rising.

I never take metacritic or opencritic seriously. But its fun to enjoy it with everyone! And it does help a game sell.

True Fire

Gotta be honest: Pretty happy the game turned out this amazing in the end or my reaction would have looked preeeeetty bad in retrospect :D

Fun fact: This is not only how I reacted to the announcement, but also to one or two scenes in the game (maybe minus the ecstatic jumping around, but absolutely including the stunned shouting of expletives :p)

The best part is that the hype was 100% worthwhile. I remember crying during the Square Enix E3 presentation, and I cried during the true ending. Following this game for two years has been such a pleasure.

BigDug13

Damn so both weirdly titled 4 letter games starting with Ni are great. I'm having so much fun with Horizon that I have had a chance to really play Nioh and haven't even bought Yakuza and now this game!!!!

Sony. I need an as-seen-on-TV item to help me play all these games!

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
The story has to be on point though because I remember hearing how bad 3rd Birthday's story is.

They could retell and combine the stories of Parasite Eve 1 and 2 though.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Sometimes when majority of the game receive a 8.5-9.5/10 score, I see the one who gives it a 7/10 is just tryin' to be cool and make themselves an outlier.

Maxinas

It really is surprising, 2017 is following a trend that could blow the last 10 years out of the water for gaming. It is more surprising seeing Japanese games making a strong comeback, which is a relief, we need the Japanese industry to be alive and healthy.

Squire

Banned
I bet Square is starting to wish they actually marketed this game.

They did. They still are. They put a demo out before Christmas that they've been pushing ever since. They did live streams in Japan every month and gave western press access to the game for previews. I just saw a web ad for the game last night, right here on GAF.

wmlk

Gotta be honest: Pretty happy the game turned out this amazing in the end or my reaction would have looked preeeeetty bad in retrospect :D

Fun fact: This is not only how I reacted to the announcement, but also to one or two scenes in the game (maybe minus the ecstatic jumping around, but absolutely including the stunned shouting of expletives :p)

There's no shame in that reaction lol. No one who was a fan before the announcement could have even dreamed such a thing happening. Even if the game sucked, it's still celebrating the impossible being possible, lol.

pezzie

Hello friend. I just wanted to let you know, someone once linked me to your hype video and that's what led me to do some looking up on Nier and pay closer attention to Nier Automata. From there on, I was super hooked and looking forward to this game, to the point that I couldn't wait and imported the HK version. So basically, you're the one that sold me on this game.

So let me thank you. This game was an absolute joy to play!

Top Bottom