• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NieR: Automata Review Thread

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Not sure why people are bringing up platinum collabs. We all know they make great combat, they could technically partner with anyone which they have and are and make that kind of combat depth.

But that was not primarily what held the glue of this title together and gave it critical acclaim for a lot of folks. tt was Yoko Taro's own capability for bringing that very particular world view and scenario of his that questions what everyone else is doing in video games and shows no regard for holding back on what his views are, even if they are out of the realm of mainstream taste. This is no different from what he's always done.

The fact of the matter is that this game could not have been made without Yoko Taro or Platinum. Platinum by themselves don't write art, they make excellent combat scenarios and gameplay systems and make quarter assed narratives to fit those scenarios

7Th

I was actually expecting this sort of critical reception even from before the demo. Thanks to indie stuff like Undertale or Lisa it's obvious that the mainstream is a lot more willing to give quirky gaming experiences a chance.

Squire

Banned
There is a lot of strange fixation on the Game Informer review lol. They're not out to get Nier or anything.

To be completely honest though, if there's a single outlet I put very limited stock into, it's GI. Because GameStop owns them and has a vested interest in games selling well. I think that's fair skepticism.

Not sure why people are bringing up platinum collabs. We all know they make great combat, they could technically partner with anyone which they have and are and make that kind of combat depth.

But that was not primarily what held the glue of this title together and gave it critical acclaim for a lot of folks. tt was Yoko Taro's own capability for bringing that very particular world view and scenario of his that questions what everyone else is doing in video games and shows no regard for holding back on what his views are, even if they are out of the realm of mainstream taste. This is no different from what he's always done.

The fact of the matter is that this game could not have been made without Yoko Taro or Platinum. Platinum by themselves don't write art, they make excellent combat scenarios and gameplay systems and make quarter assed narratives to fit those scenarios

Ehh, I think it was though, for a lot of critics at the least.

We can get very specific about Taro's strengths and weaknesses as a writer/director in Drakengard 1/3 and Nier, but ultimately the actual gameplay was kinda crappy at best and that matters. It might not be crucial, but it's relevant in so far as these are still video games.

I do think people are starting to slip into not really giving PG their due here. This game plays fantastically by all accounts. That's a key thing that's been sorely missing from Taro's games and it held them back critically, if nothing more.

And just in general, it takes a team. A lot of great art does, which is why I'm not very big on this element of the cult of personality people like Kojima, Levine, etc. build. Like you said, Taro and PG both made this and I think they both deserve credit because if you took away one it wouldn't be the same.

That said, I think it's OK that maybe PG gets the spotlight here specifically, because if not I honestly don't think this would be sitting at 90 on MC.

wmlk

Looks like Nier Automata is gonna be one of the nominees to a bunch of GOTY awards at the end of the year. And I'm not talking about GAF GOTY

Who would expect that?

Probably not happening. There's already a slew of excellent games and this is lodged between Zelda and Persona.

pezzie

Yeah talked with ups and they left my black box at the wrong building. I'm gonna be pissed if it's lost...

That sucks man. I've had to deal with my fair share of UPS shipping shenanegans, but I've worked for companies with warehouses for almost a decade now. I hope you find it. If it makes you feel better, I've almost always been able to track my crap down.

Strings

There is a lot of strange fixation on the Game Informer review lol. They're not out to get Nier or anything.

I'm honestly surprised they're the only ones that went that 'low'. Have a hard time accepting that none of the other reviewers had problems with the repetitiveness, etc.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
My review: http://www.rocketchainsaw.com.au/ps4/nier-automata-review-12834/

I'm not happy with what I wrote, but I'll have to do for now. Nioh was the last review I penned, and it was a considerable gap between that whatever came before. Super rusty.

Nevertheless, fantastic game, considerable technical and performance issues aside. Really thinking the Pro or PC build is the way to go for this one.

Principate

Saint Titanfall

And those games still manage to achieve universal acclaim or close enough to it regardless if they're given sufficient budget. Most critics don't give a shit.

To be completely honest though, if there's a single outlet I put very limited stock into, it's GI. Because GameStop owns them and has a vested interest in games selling well. I think that's fair skepticism.

I can sort of understand that sentiment, but if GameStop wants games to sell well, wouldn't they want every game that Game Informer reviews to score well? But in this case they scored the game on the lower end compared to other reviewers.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.

Then how about:

Parasite Eve
Director - Tetsuya Nomura
Gameplay - Platinum Games
Story - Hideaki Sena (original PE writer), Kazushige Nojima
Artist - Tetsuya Nomura
Music - Yoko Shimomura

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
My review: http://www.rocketchainsaw.com.au/ps4/nier-automata-review-12834/

I'm not happy with what I wrote, but I'll have to do for now. Nioh was the last review I penned, and it was a considerable gap between that whatever came before. Super rusty.

Nevertheless, fantastic game, considerable technical and performance issues aside. Really thinking the Pro or PC build is the way to go for this one.

Keiichi Okatabe

GetStrip5.php

JayEH

It's a trend I've noticed over the years.

if you read the review they weren't in love with it and I understand why. I honestly thought the repetitiveness would be a sticking point for more reviews as well that's why I thought it might be a low 80s game. If anything GI would rank games higher since they're owned by gamestop.

Strings

Then how about:

Parasite Eve
Artist - Tetsuya Nomura
Music - Yoko Shimomura

I'm perfectly happy with Nomura's team working on the gameplay too :p Think he's a bad example to use.

ITT
I learned that people only buy games based on the metacritic? Like you'll only buy if it hits a certain number?

Not really, but it would certainly help if some of ur trusted reviewers give the game a positive score, wouldn't it? I mean these games aint cheap. I was gonna get it anyways cuz yoko.

Inuhanyou

And those games still manage to achieve universal acclaim or close enough to it regardless if they're given sufficient budget. Most critics don't give a shit.

They make great games with great gameplay. But i'm not throwing shade at Platinum games for what they do best, don't misunderstand.

I'm saying that they came into the project fully trying to replicate Yoko Taro's vision and give his scenario and writing the freedom to be appreciated without the technical and budgetary inferiority of his previous teams.

He should be credited as the integral vision for the success, as it is a full sequel to his original game after all completely based on the Yorha stageplay.

JBwB

So it did eventually hit 90 on metacritic whilst I was sleeping. Congrats Yoko Taro!

I'm going to purchase this as soon as I get the funds but I'm not sure I'll be able to play it on the PC version's launch date. May have to wait until after I finish Persona 5 next month :(

Inuhanyou

Then how about:

Parasite Eve
Artist - Tetsuya Nomura
Music - Yoko Shimomura

I don't want them working on anything other than FF7R :l

And to begin with, Nomura's team already has a good gameplay director who was one of the leads of the KH2 team who is now directing CC2 on the gameplay.

Any budget they have dwarfs what Platinum's indie self would put out...

i just think with the success of this title, SE should be funding Platinum's next game with Yoko Taro leading again, or just give Yoko his own team to work on games instead of crappy low rent teams like Cavia(bless them) and Access games

Principate

Saint Titanfall
They make great games with great gameplay. But i'm not throwing shade at Platinum games for what they do best, don't misunderstand.

I'm saying that they came into the project fully trying to replicate Yoko Taro's vision and give his scenario and writing the freedom to be appreciated without the technical and budgetary inferiority of his previous teams.

True and like you said this game is very much Taro's Magnus Opusm.

But I mean compare this to Nioh great success but went through development hell. FfXV great success developnent hell. Persona 5 great success long ass development time.

Platinum completed this game to budget on time and helped achieve 90+ again outscoring most of those games.

As far as Japanese development goes they are absolute legends. The quality polish and effency is unheard of.

cj_iwakura

if you read the review they weren't in love with it and I understand why. I honestly thought the repetitiveness would be a sticking point for more reviews as well that's why I thought it might be a low 80s game. If anything GI would rank games higher since they're owned by gamestop.

They usually give niche games like SMTs and EOs in the 7s.

Even if it sounded like they didn't have much complaint.

Inuhanyou

But I mean compare this to Nioh great success but went through development hell. FfXV great success developnent hell. Persona 5 great success long ass development time.

Platinum completed this game to budget on time and helped achieve 90+ again outscoring most of those games.

As far as Japanese development goes they are absolute legends. The quality polish and effency is unheard of.

This is true, they are to be commended for having technical proficiency and a great work flow. The team had the game done late last year, they just delayed it to an even busier time period thinking they would be in the clear which i hope doesnt hurt it too bad

Ahasverus

They announced this June 2015 and it was probably in extremely early development. So they delivered in 25 months a 90+ game (a true honor this generation) with no reference framework but their own experience and expectations. This shows us that:

- Platinum are the most focused, most efficient games studio around, let alone Japan.

- Yoko Taro is a fantastic director with a great production vision and efficient management and communication abilities.

- Square Enix saw the potential in that combination before anyone else, which is really commendable.

This is a triumph for all involved. It was a leap of faith that paid off.

It would not surprise me if this game turns out to be more profitable than FFXV, and SE might be wise rethinking their "carte blanche development that gives terrible managers like Nomura unlimited resources and time for underwhelming returns/reception.

Platinum and Yoko might have impacted more than we expected them to. I'd love to see the ramifications of these lastest events.

Strings

The amount of content in those games is just absurd comparatively though. Automata is a pretty small game in terms of content, with locations reused a ton.

Inuhanyou

They announced this June 2015 and it was probably in extremely early development. So they delivered in 25 months a 90+ game (a true honor this generation) with no reference framework but their own experience and expectations. This shows us that:

- Platinum are the most focused, most efficient games studio around, let alone Japan.

- Yoko Taro is a fantastic director with a great production vision and efficient management and communication abilities.

- Square Enix saw the potential in that combination before anyone else, which is really commendable.

It would not surprise me if this game turns out to be more profitable than FFXV, and SE might be wise rethinking their "carte blanche development that gives terrible managers like Nomura unlimited resources and time for underwhelming returns/reception.

Platinum and Yoko might have impacted more than we expected them to. I'd love to see the ramifications of these lastest events.

Let's not go too far off the deep end.

to be fair, this game is made on a pretty small budget(likely much smaller than even platinum's backed games like Bayo 1 and 2) and you can see the compromises technically and visually. To make bigger scale games with better graphixx and more interactivity, you need bigger studios and more time which just makes sense for other open world devs like Guerilla, and Rockstar and such including SE's other devs

I think the take away should be that the balance between A and AAA gaming should always be that the vision is compartmentalized enough to fit within its own boundaries without becoming a bloated beast

Philippo

Then how about:

Parasite Eve
Artist - Tetsuya Nomura
Music - Yoko Shimomura

Parasite Eve
Director - Yoko Taro
Story - Hideaki Sena (original PE writer), Yoko Taro
Artist - Tetsuya Nomura
Music - Yoko Shimomura

Can you imagine what sick shit would Taro come up with in such a game?
Those scary monsters would be put to good use.

I'm honestly surprised they're the only ones that went that 'low'. Have a hard time accepting that none of the other reviewers had problems with the repetitiveness, etc.

I'm curious to see if there will more reviews (once the game is out) that criticize it for those elements.

But people want you to believe platinum was at fault for scalebound lol

Inuhanyou

If you take it for something Yoko Taro has always done it just becomes his calling card to do alternate routes

ghibli99

Excellent!

Getting mine tomorrow, and in the pile it will go until I'm done with Breath of the Wild. There it will join Yakuza 0, Nioh, Wild Guns, Gravity Rush 2, Dragon Quest 8, and Horizon... and that's just this year's pile. Good problem to have, I guess. LOL

Top Bottom