• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NieR: Automata Review Thread

SarusGray

I'm curious to see if there will more reviews (once the game is out) that criticize it for those elements.

I don't think it'll grab any more reviews. It's not a triple A game so it won't be reviewed by every website on the internet. I think it's going to rest comfortably at 90. -inb491-

JayEH

Let's not go too far off the deep end.

to be fair, this game is made on a pretty small budget(likely much smaller than even platinum's backed games like Bayo 1 and 2) and you can see the compromises technically and visually. To make bigger scale games with better graphixx and more interactivity, you need bigger studios and more time which just makes sense for other open world devs like Guerilla, and Rockstar and such including SE's other devs

I think the take away should be that the balance between A and AAA gaming should always be that the vision is compartmentalized enough to fit within its own boundaries without becoming a bloated beast

It's nice to see a "B tier" game do well. You don't need GTA or destiny like budgets to make great games and I think Japan learned this hard way last gen that's why we're seeing more lower budget AAA games compared to last gen. RE6 to 7 for example.

HeeHo

Agh, that game informer review. I just read the blurb but it sucks cause GI is the only magazine that I actually still get and I will be seeing this score on the shitter for a while. I was getting real psyched from the flooding of good scores and the over all average. Ah well. it's still good, I was just aboard the hype train.

hwEWul1.gif

lol

First: Whew.

Second: I'm also a fan of these two pics.

yeah those are pretty great too :D

remz

I know, but still. Like, B route in the case of Automata is completely superfluous imo, but very few reviewers touched on that.

I haven't finished it, but there are some pretty interesting sidequests/things that happen during route b so far compared to route a. I like it. I don't think the character in route B is as fun as the one in route a though.

killatopak

I'd like to thank Yosuke Saito for producing and supporting this game.

He was quoted saying to the board that he would quit SE and stop making DQ games if they won't greenlight a NieR sequel.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
It's nice to see a "B tier" game do well. You don't need GTA or destiny like budgets to make great games and I think Japan learned this hard way last gen that's why we're seeing more lower budget AAA games compared to last gen. RE6 to 7 for example.

Yoko and Saito agree.

RPG Site: You guys are making what I'd call an A-tier game. Like, you don't have the budget of Triple-A but you're far above indie or lower end stuff too. It felt to me for a while like it was harder for games like this to get made. Is it getting easier to do projects like this thanks to the engine tools now available and so on?

Yosuke Saito:" I have a feeling that, certainly, if you talk about the Western market now that's probably still true - like it's just triple A and C, plus indie there. In Japan things are maybe a little bit different, I think. If you talk about the really major games in Japan... they perhaps say they're major games, they have major budgets, but they're not actually that major in the end. There's also a number of A-class games that come out... you're seeing a lot more things in that bracket.

"We thought, okay, this is perfect timing... we've got these two, they're both really keen to do something new with Nier, so let's go ahead and make a proper new Nier game."
Something like Toriko, for example... that'd probably fall somewhere around an A when you look at the number of people around the beta tests and the market it's aiming for there.

Within the Japanese games industry there are those things that are aiming high and are probably falling in around A, but the budgets aren't quite triple-A - things like Gravity Daze, Danganronpa, Persona, the Yakuza series and those kinds of games. We want to just crawl into the bottom of that category there and cling on for dear life! "[laughs]

Taro Yoko: "I think certainly back in the 80s and 90s when Japan mostly made really big, long RPGs there was almost a saturation of the market in some ways of them. Then it changed... we could no longer just get away with making RPGs. That time had passed. The next development, obviously, that was when the West started making these really big triple-A blockbusters. Japan tried copying that but kind of failed and didn't really manage to make it to the same level.

I think what you're seeing now is kind of the post-blockbuster copying stage where the Japanese games market isn't really sure what it's supposed to be making any more. You're getting all kinds of weird, out there ideas and new people trying different things. I think that's a really interesting and exciting time to be in; Nier's a part of that, we're really trying out new things, which leads to a lot of creativity."

I'd like to thank Yosuke Saito for producing and supporting this game.

He was quoted saying to the board that he would quit SE and stop making DQ games if they won't greenlight a NieR sequel.

That wasn't it. He said he would quit if Yoko wasn't the director which actually puts a ton of confidence in Yoko's ability which he obviously has

I know, but still. Like, B route in the case of Automata is completely superfluous imo, but very few reviewers touched on that.
bruh

It includes a ton of information that wouldn't have made any sense to include in the first playthrough, provides a bunch of characterization for 9S and Operator 21O, and it makes the C/D trailer hit you like a truck out of nowhere
. I can understand disliking the repetition, but "superfluous" seems outright wrong.

Soma

me hearing "the soundtrack is just as good and possibly better than the first one's":

gqJsJ6Z.gif

me actually listening to it:

Cv298H2.gif

Kalentan

I just platinumed Horizon and now with this... Really debating about pre-ordering and downloading tonight. I'm on a good game high, want to keep it going!

I tried the demo, seems fun and I think the world utterly fascinating.

I don't think it'll grab any more reviews. It's not a triple A game so it won't be reviewed by every website on the internet. I think it's going to rest comfortably at 90. -inb491-
Yakuza 0 got 77 reviews. So we still have a lot of reviews to look forward to
in terror.

Pillars of Eternity was at a 90 MC for like more than a week after release... then an 8/10 review came out and brought it down to 89. Rankles me to this day.

icespide

Banned
I just platinumed Horizon and now with this... Really debating about pre-ordering and downloading tonight. I'm on a good game high, want to keep it going!

I tried the demo, seems fun and I think the world utterly fascinating.
holy shit Horizon hasn't even been out for a week I can't fathom how someone already platinumed it

chekhonte

mine came today from amazon but i have to work tonight....

I really wasn't expecting this game to get critical praise. I'm very surprised an happy for the team. Taro in particular deserves some recognition outside of his cult following.

Hiltz

So is the game supposed to be fairly challenging, or is it one of Platinum's easier and more accessible action games in terms of combat and difficulty?

I was sadly immediately turned off by how hard Nioh was just based on the downloadable demo. I have not made any real progress in Bloodborne yet, but will try to get back into it some day, but I do like it! I liked the demo of what Nier had to offer, so I do plan on buying it based on that.

Jiraiza

So is the game supposed to be fairly challenging, or is it one of Platinum's easier and more accessible action games in terms of combat and difficulty?

I was sadly immediately turned off by how hard Nioh was just based on the downloadable demo. I have not made any real progress in Bloodborne yet, but will try to get back into it some day, but I do like it! I liked the demo of what Nier had to offer, so I do plan on buying it based on that.

Normal probably will suit you fine.

Kalentan

I beat the JP release.

Get it.

Also watch this.

I'm thinking I will! Also should hard suffice or normal difficulty? I found hard mode in the demo to be fine, although I do admit the amount of damage I took was a lot and the missing lock on isn't great...

holy shit Horizon hasn't even been out for a week I can't fathom how someone already platinumed it

I'd argue in comparison to other games, the plat trophy is easier. It doesn't really ask you to do really tough things.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak

Nier has difficulty settings and its considered fairly easy on Normal so you might be fine with this for most of the part.

Luminaire

There are difficulty settings. I haven't died yet but I'm not very far, playing on normal, finding myself using a fair share of health items.

I played on normal difficulty and thought it was fair.

There's Easy mode, Normal mode, Hard mode if you want that and Very Hard mode (die in one hit) as well if you want something harder.

It's probably the most accessible Yoko Taro game yet imo.

Kaizer

Banned

Going by the demo, the game is very accessible for all skill levels. On the easy difficulty setting you can equip auto-attack & auto-dodge chips to help you in combat.

jrush64

Banned
I'm contemplating picking this up tomorrow. I need a game to stop me from playing Zelda so much as Horizon has failed at that.

I did enjoy the demo of this game though.

It's not nearly as difficult as Nioh or bloodborne though there are some segments that are pretty difficult on purpose. I think you'll be fine. Plus if you really struggle, there's a lot of assist tools in game to help you break through pretty much any obstacle.

nikos

Haven't finished Horizon, Zelda, Yakuza or Nioh, to name a few, but I still bought this. I told myself I'd change in 2017. :/

Hiltz

Sounds good then! You guys have convinced me to buy it. I have to admit, it is nice to have a back catalog of games as a new PlayStation gamer. I have just barely begun to get into Horizon: Zero Dawn, still on Chapter 3 of Yakuza 0 and Overwatch has been eating up most of my free time. Now Nier's release is upon us and Persona 5 soon after. :)

It's been a while since I played a Platinum-developed game, but Nier looks pretty sweet.

Shock32

Amazon is still pending even with prime two day shipping. Screw it, I cancelled it and am downloading the digital copy. I want to play tomorrow and get a little break from horizon until the weekend. Hype level is even higher now.

Kalentan

Well it's pre-ordered and downloading... On one hand, I want to go into sleep mode to download faster... On the other hand the music that plays in the Forest theme that comes with it on PS4 is soooo fucking good.

Top Bottom