• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NieR: Automata Review Thread

Koutsoubas

That's a shame if that was a conclusion of theirs. The game isn't beaten when the first ending is shown but at the same time the NG+ thing will confuse people because it implies same playthrough with carried over progress.

NG+ in this game is a continuation of the story. It's not your typical NG+ souls run.

So you play the story again? How does NG+ works Im a little confused!!

Thank you

big fake

It's not extra if it's an essential part of the narrative. It's just a different storytelling style.

Exactly. Don't review the game until you have played all of its essential content. Like how does that inform the buyer? I don't get the logic, this is Yoko Taro game, its known fact. A journalist should know equal to what we know of how the story unfolds.

Hmm... How is it counted but won't remove the 90?

This shouldn't review shouldn't be included coz they didn't even fully complete the game... wtf Gamekult.

Right now the game is at a functional MC average of 90.57 - even if a new 70/100 score is added, that takes the average to 90.11.

Unless they have some crazy weight in the MC algorithm, it should be fine. (But it would really hurt the chances of a 91...)

Hektor

Thank you

If you really want to know... this includes heavy spoilers!!!

You play the first half of the story with one character until you reach Ending A.
Then you play the first half with another character and his viewpoints, with roughly 50% recycled content and 50% new content until you reach Ending B

Then you play the second half of the story until you reach Ending C/D/E

Wait, so I'm expected to play the same game multiple times in a row to get the whole story?

I'm not sure I have the time or desire to do that, with all these games to play these days. I'll probably just wait for a slower time to play this one regardless.

Thank you

Each route gives you new mechanics, events, story, reveals, side quests, etc. The second is parallel to the first, while the third takes place afterwards.

New routes unlock upon completing the previous route.

Wait, so I'm expected to play the same game multiple times in a row to get the whole story?

I'm not sure I have the time or desire to do that, with all these games to play these days. I'll probably just wait for a slower time to play this one regardless.

Read the above.

Rarius

Like, from what I've heard, it goes way more in depth than the original Nier ever did. Like, Playthrough 2 isn't Just Playthrough 1 with added dialogue

Fraxin

Right now the game is at a functional MC average of 90.57 - even if a new 70/100 score is added, that takes the average to 90.11.

Unless they have some crazy weight in the MC algorithm, it should be fine. (But it would really hurt the chances of a 91...)

We still have some other reviews I guess, like USgamer and EasyAllies.

Ben Moore seems to be enjoying the game.

Mailbox

If someone doesn't feel like replaying a game to get extra pieces of it I think that's a fair viewpoint tbh

It's really not.
Imagine someone just getting to ending A of Nier and saying it was only okay w/ its story. Ending B has all the context and is what gutpunches you.

Or imagine someone getting to ending A in Drakengard 3 and thinking it was kind of a boring story but the reviewer never actually got to see anything relating to accord or the other paths?

When it comes to other endings, these games don't have "extra pieces". Especially ones that don't require review. A very limited amount of research would tell any reviewer that.

Koutsoubas

Each route gives you new mechanics, events, story, reveals, side quests, etc. The second is parallel to the first, while the third takes place afterwards.

New routes unlock upon completing the previous route.

Read the above.

I see. So you play again, but it's deeper with more mechanics, attacks, gear etc.

Sounds very promising!!

Thank you

Voke

Banned
This may be completely off topic, but this gives me hope that one day Capcom will green light a sequel to Dragons Dogma. I remember the original NieR being terribly reviewed, but then as time went on if started receiving more and more positivity and a cult following. Dragons Dogma is in a very similar position right now, if Capcom decides to improve the formula of that game, I truly believe it could become a critical and commercial hit.

Koutsoubas

You're not really playing it "again" with more mechanics. The content of the game (story) is still ongoing.

Dayum!! That's mental!! So you dont really finish the game at all, you just take a ''break'' lets say and then you continue.
I wonder why these guys that gave him a 7 and didnt play some more to get more answers.

It seems only natural to do so, especially if it's just a ''continue'' situation and not a playthrough from the beginning

UrbanRats

This, yes.

They shouldn't call them endings.
They should call them "act 1" or "timeline A" or something less confusing.
Ending has a very specific connotation in gaming, and telling someone "but to get all the endings..." will immediately trigger the idea of playing the same game multiple times to see a different cinematic at the end.

pezzie

They shouldn't call them endings.
They should call them "act 1" or "timeline A" or something less confusing.
Ending has a very specific connotation in gaming, and telling someone "but to get all the endings..." will immediately trigger the idea of playing the same game multiple times to see a different cinematic at the end.

There's a message at the end that literally says "Congratulations, you have reached the end of Route A."

I'll just link to the message, no story spoilers:

http://i.imgur.com/P9DDWn6.png

ChanMan

This may be completely off topic, but this gives me hope that one day Capcom will green light a sequel to Dragons Dogma. I remember the original NieR being terribly reviewed, but then as time went on if started receiving more and more positivity and a cult following. Dragons Dogma is in a very similar position right now, if Capcom decides to improve the formula of that game, I truly believe it could become a critical and commercial hit.

I really hope so, I really enjoyed Dragons Dogma.

Koutsoubas

It literally says there are story elements and gameplay you've yet to experience

This could mean that you will play again the same thing, but 1 or 2 cutscenes will differ because of different choices and you get 1 or 2 different weapons because of that.

The other expression would be better ''load your save and continue your journey''

pezzie

According to Kotaku, this game is plagued with long loading time like The Witcher 3. I might have to opt out for the PC version if this is the case.

Yea that's one thing I greatly disagree with. Loading times in this game is really really short, especially coming in from other big budget games. There are loads of other reasons to prefer the PC version, but I don't think the load times is one that's an issue with the PS4 version of this game.

Yu Narukami

I want to clarify that Gamekult completed multiple runs. But for them it's a negative point having to do them. They say that combat, evironments and exploration get repetitive. But they praise the different points of view.

pezzie

I want to clarify that Gamekult completed multiple runs. But for them it's a negative point having to do them. They say that combat, evironments and exploration get repetitive. But they praise the different points of view.

If they actually made it
through route C and got endings C, D, and E, then I have no complaints about the review. At least since I can't read it haha.

I never had to wait more than 10 seconds for even the longest loading screen. (PS4 Pro)

Yea that's one thing I greatly disagree with. Loading times in this game is really really short, especially coming in from other big budget games. There are loads of other reasons to prefer the PC version, but I don't think the load times is one that's an issue with the PS4 version of this game.
Ok, that's a relief.

Hmm... How is it counted but won't remove the 90?

This shouldn't review shouldn't be included coz they didn't even fully complete the game... wtf Gamekult.

It'll get included regardless. There's a review for Horizon Zero Dawn in which the reviewer didn't finish the game, too.

After 'Gamerkult's review is added to Metacritic, further reviews need to be 85+ to maintain the 90 MC Score.

C'mon Ben, 4.5 from EZA - c'mon...

Why yes, I probably am caring about this too much.

tjlee2

Neo Member
Very happy the game is being received well. Looking forward to the experience. Haven't had to juggle a handful of interesting games at once in a long time.

Edit: The story structure sounds more like that of multiperspectivity, similar to that of Odin Sphere. The designation of ending is probably causing confusion as it's not accurate.

Main story is multiperspectivity and the other endings are more of a visual novel type branching, 'non-canon', path setup, where multiple "endings" apply more literally.

LotusHD

Banned
Very happy the game is being received well. Looking forward to the experience. Haven't had to juggle a handful of interesting games at once in a long time.

Edit: The story structure sounds more like that of multiperspectivity, similar to that of Odin Sphere. The designation of ending is probably causing confusion as it's not accurate.

Main story is multiperspectivity and the other endings are more of a visual novel type branching, 'non-canon', path setup, where multiple "endings" apply more literally.

Yea there's definitely a need for a better way of phrasing how the game works, because the whole talk of multiple endings is clearly confusing people.

JayEH

It was a mistake to put credits at the end of all the routes imo. Should have just transitioned to the next route.

According to Kotaku, this game is plagued with long loading time like The Witcher 3. I might have to opt out for the PC version if this is the case.

Long load times? nah. But maybe it's just because I've gotten used to ridiculously long times like FFXV but even then I don't remember it being that long for Nier and I'm on regular PS4.

tjlee2

Neo Member
Yea there's definitely a need for a better way of phrasing how the game works, because the whole talk of multiple endings is clearly confusing people.

Right. You wouldn't say you beat Odin Sphere when you complete Gwendolyn's book, and from what I've read it would likewise apply here.

Top Bottom